2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Leinenkugel's Berry WeissLeinenkugel's Berry Weiss

poor

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 03-25-2002)
View: Beers (34) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 276-300 | 301-325 | 326-350  | next › last »
Ratings: 984 | Reviews: 344 | Show All Ratings:
elmocoso

1.58/5  rDev -43.8%

This is truly a Hideous beer. The berry is cloying and artificial, the honey is sweet and the appearance is a down-right frightening and unatural pink. The taste has kind of puckering that reminds me a little of the mouthfeel of a wheat, but it lacks all other charecteristics of a wheat. My mother-n-law loves them but it just doesn't taste like a beer to me. I suppose it might be a good cross-over beer but it is a long, long journey from this beer to anything respectable.

12-15-2003 04:41:58 | More by elmocoso
hotstuff

Indiana

1.88/5  rDev -33.1%

Another one of my least favorite beer styles. This one was too berry and way too sweet tasting for me. It had a small white creamy head with fine sized bubbles. The body was cloudy with carbonation observed and the hue was berry. The nose was heavily berry and the taste was very sweet, tart, sour and tangy. The mouthfeel was tingly, smooth with a thin-watery texture and light bodied. There was a fair amount of lacing with this beer.

10-29-2003 00:32:29 | More by hotstuff
DrunkMcDermott

1.83/5  rDev -34.9%

It's your girlfriend's beer for when she can't get a Dewey Stevens. Looks like Champale when you pour it. Gotta admit it smells nice. But tastes like a wine cooler with a bit of malt in it. Sweetness is almost saccharine. It might be okay as a hot-weather cooler, but if this is all Miller can come up with in the fruit beer category, New Glarus has nothing to worry about.
On a second tasting, I had it straight out of the bottle to avoid the disturbing blue color. Even then, you get a vaguely Trix-flavored mess.

09-29-2003 13:28:41 | More by DrunkMcDermott
Brent

Kentucky

1.35/5  rDev -52%

Simply ghastly. Poured a creepy pinkish color. The bottle noted blackberrys used in the brewing, but the aroma was more raspberry candy. Cloyingly sweet berry flavor. If there is beer beneath this onslaught of berry syrup, I can't find it. This is more like some malternative berry cooler than beer. I toughed it out through half the bottle, and decided life is to short to struggle on with finishing the beer.

09-07-2003 21:57:59 | More by Brent
Ahhdball

2.5/5  rDev -11%

Candy. Poured pink and light, like lemonade not beer. Very strange head that left a high honey and berry smell. I liked the smell becuase I like fruity smells in my home. Unfortunately I don't like them in my beer. I didn't taste beer in this beverage, I tasted far too much candy like sweetness. I may have to use this for a marinade sometime, but we'll see. The mouthfeel was weak and left the berry taste for too long. I can drink this again but if I'm offered something else I'd probably leave it for the teenagers to drink, not that I condone that behavior....... ;)

07-27-2003 18:14:08 | More by Ahhdball
Sixpack595

1.2/5  rDev -57.3%

It say on the bottle it is brewed "...by 73 people who care." I don't know what they care about because it sure isn't the taste of this stuff. Tastes like shook up Boones Farm poured into a dirty coffee cup. Looks like pink lemonade, beer shouldn't look like that. If you like Zima, but feel it isn't sweet enough for you give this stuff a try. I don't know what it is, but it ain't beer!

07-24-2003 03:53:04 | More by Sixpack595
tavernjef

3.2/5  rDev +13.9%

Color is orangy lightish yellow, trying to be red, but thinning, fluffy loose head thats light greyish pink, fades and fizzes away pretty fast, leaves soapy, drippy lace. Smell is light of strawberry and raspberry with a wheaty touch and sharp tint of clean floral hops noted underneath. Taste is a weaker version of any decent fruit beer, light, crisp, lightly flavored of raspberry and strawbeery I guess, its hard to determine cuz its a little much and unmixed, very juice like but watered down quite a bit. Feel is lightly creamy but watery and a thin finish. Its a fine summer drink, but more then one of these and it could get tiresome. Give me a good hefe instead.

07-09-2003 14:44:44 | More by tavernjef
budgood1

2.93/5  rDev +4.3%

pours out a pink lemonade colour, with a big pink foamy head which leave rings of lace. never seen a beer of this shade before. big time berry aromas. hard to pick out any "weiss" characteristics. previous reviewers who hinted at the fact this could be confused with a wine cooler or other malt beverage have it nailed. too sweet and full of wild berries. while not undrinkable in its own right...for a beer this is "gone wild". i can't imagine drinking too many of these in one sitting. it's just too much. now...i could see mixing this with the honey weiss in the middle of summer floating down the apple river in somerset, wisconsin with many bikini clad home grown minnesota and wisconsin babes sharing in the sweet nectar. um...that's beside the point and this is not really a beer. try something else.

06-21-2003 16:35:19 | More by budgood1
Winter

Wisconsin

2.7/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours a clouded reddish-orange in color with a light pink fluffed head. Soapy lacing along the side of the glass. Aroma dominated by a strong berry scent. Mouthfeel is thin and creamy. Very sweet tasting combination of loganberries, elderberries and blackberries. Berry flavor seems almost artificial and cloying at times. There aren't a lot of 'berry weiss' beers to compare this to. For what it is, it's not bad, but it's hard to drink more that one or two of these in a sitting because they become too sweet for the stomach.

A variation is a 'Honey Berry'. Half Leinie's Berry Weiss and half Honey Weiss. The combination cuts some of the sweetsness in the Berry Weiss alone and makes the drink a little bit more tolerable. I tried one for the first time years ago at a concert at Alpine Valley where they had a Leinie Lodge set up and were pouring pitchers for those who were interested.

06-05-2003 14:07:40 | More by Winter
Tballz420

2.17/5  rDev -22.8%

What can i say except that this reminds me of a wine cooler or something along those lines. Luckily i was given one of these and didnt make the mistake of buying a whole sixer. Some artificial berry flavors mixed into a standard beer. Skip this poser.

05-26-2003 11:02:11 | More by Tballz420
pezoids

3.08/5  rDev +9.6%

When this beer was poured out - the color reminded me of a carbonated glass of pink lemonade - with a tall light pink head.
The smell was very tart and fruity. The taste made me think I was drinking a fruity wine spritzer, rather than a beer. This beer looked
interesting and appetizing to me. I once sampled this brew on a 100 degree day after a hot brewery tour and I think I could appreciate it a little better then.
Still - a nice change of pace and a refreshing libation on a hot day - or with a sweet dessert for that matter.

03-02-2003 22:18:23 | More by pezoids
aaronh

3.25/5  rDev +15.7%

This is an amber beer that exhibits a pink tint. It pours with a creamy head and displays good retention. The aroma is similar to a wine cooler, heavy on the berries with maybe a touch of malt. The flavor is also wine coolerish, heavy on the berries as well. The finish is a little too sweet, but the mouthfeel is decent. I couldn't drink a lot of these, but it was a nice experience.

01-04-2003 21:31:07 | More by aaronh
John

2.7/5  rDev -3.9%

Berry juice colored. Minimal head. Fruity sort of very berry HiC-like aroma. Not much beer flavor to balance the fruit. Flavor is all fruit juice. The slightest hint of wheat flavor is present. Mouthfell is thin with effervescent carbonation. Not bad if your into fruit beers. Also may be a good cross over beer for some macro drinkers.

10-24-2002 10:12:16 | More by John
BeerBob

Nebraska

3.85/5  rDev +37%

Pinkus Alt with flavored syrup this is not. What we have here is, a berry flavored Weiss Bier, making a fairly good stab at the style. Leinenkugel’s Berry Weiss Bier is honey and blackberry flavored, no need to go out and buy the flavored syrup, and mix it in. Pours a cloudy berry red with a red tinged foam head that will dissipate soon.

Nose is blackberry and honey with a bit of wheat. Palate is lots of blackberry and honey with a bit of wheat. All is sweet honey, sweet and tart berry, with tart wheat.

If you are in the mood for a berry weiss excursion, look no further. If lacking in anything, it seems to be the alcohol content that could be more for my taste.

07-22-2002 16:40:02 | More by BeerBob
bditty187

Nebraska

3.2/5  rDev +13.9%

It looks great (interesting?) in a glass, a nice purple tint. Small head, it disapears fast though. The berries are very crisp for a beer, and yes, it does taste like beer. This is not a "girly drink" or a Wine Cooler. This is how I like fruit beers to taste... with noticeable fruit flavor yet it stays true to being a beer (although I struggle to taste/smell the wheat in this one).

I wouldn't drink this all-of-the-time but it is a nice change-of-pace beer.

07-10-2002 14:26:52 | More by bditty187
Bighuge

2.73/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a deep orange/red color. Medium foamy white head with purple tinting. Real sweet berry nose. Can they really call this a weiss. I'm curious what percentage of wheat malt is utilized. (I would bet in the 10-15 % range.) As with their Honey Weiss, there is absoutely no trace of weizen characteristics. This beer is very fruity and fairly highly carbonated. It is not obnoxious at all in taste, but it doesn't taste like a beer. If you're looking for a beer that tastes like a wine cooler, this is perfect.

(A side note: Last summer, at my sister's gift opening party at my mom and dad's house the Sunday after her Wedding, there were coolers macrobrews available. Among others, Leiney's Honey and Berry were available. ZAP and I hid in the garage with the coolers during the actual "gift opening." We discovered a half and half mix of berry and honey actually tasted halfway decent. It went down pretty easy on a day we both were experiencing minor hang overs.)

07-02-2002 19:56:59 | More by Bighuge
packetknife

Idaho

2.83/5  rDev +0.7%

I don't like this one. It's got a great smell, looks well. The problem is it's too fruity not beery enough. When you buy their mixed-case leave this ones for the youngins or the wimmins.

04-28-2002 08:28:55 | More by packetknife
cokes

Wisconsin

1.73/5  rDev -38.4%

ADR summed this one up perfect. A train wreck in a bottle. Berries all over the place with nothing to constrain them. No balance, no drinkability. As ADR said, the berry flavor that seems interesting on the first sip, quickly becomes obnoxious. I just say "yuck".
BW looks like beer, but that is about it. More like one of those Jack Daniels coolers that my girlfriend drinks on occasion. She even said this wasn't bad, which spells disaster for any beer (as she is a swore beer hater). She and I are able to find middle ground in our relationship, other than our drinking patterns, but this beer should be avoided by everyone.
And I am from Wis, so I should be biased. But as a local, let me tell you to stay the hell away from this.

03-26-2002 01:56:29 | More by cokes
ADR

2.08/5  rDev -26%

Sweet-berry disaster in my opinion...way above and beyond the call of a fruit beer in that there's no trace of balance for the sweetness and little mouthfeel to balance the over-carbed fizziness...can be refreshing on first impression but the over sweet and bubbly taste and cloying swallow annoy me more with every sip...not recommended...

03-25-2002 13:22:41 | More by ADR