Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Leinenkugel's Berry WeissLeinenkugel's Berry Weiss

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 03-25-2002

Reviews: 370 | Hads: 1,260
2.57/5  rDev -11.7%

Appearance: A light reddish pink with a decent head that quickly dies down. Very little lacing.

Smell: A strong mixture of fruity berries. A first smell I already know that this beer is not going to be for me.

Taste: Extremely tart. Way too sweet for my liking. When I initially purchased this beer I expected a slight berry taste with a least some beer taste to it. But that is not the case with this beer, it tastes like a berry soda. Isn't terrible for hot days but that's the best review I can give it. After each drink I cringe at the tartness. Could not drink more than one bottle in a day. I'll give the rest of the six pack to my girlfriend and hope it doesn't go to waste.

Mouthfeel: Feel is medium body but not due to any normal ingredients you expect in a beer but medium because of the amount of sugar they pour into this beer.

Overall: The first drink or two is ok but even after that tasting I can already feel myself growing distant from the beer. I've heard of people mixing this beer half and half with other beers and I can understand why. It's simply overwhelming, if Leinenkugels could cut the taste in half I would be much more satisfied.

3.07/5  rDev +5.5%

Appearance: Medium orange with dissipating head, no noticable lacing.

Smell: Sweet berries

Taste: Sweet berry flavor similar to wine cooler or berry flavored soft drink

Mouthfeel: Light texture with medium carbonation.

Overall: This beer is not very complex, but will work on a really hot day or for people who don't really like beer.

3.5/5  rDev +20.3%

A - dark reddish amber with a loose, bubbly, white head that has little retention

S - blackberries

T - tart, blackberries, juice-like but not as sugary or sweet

M - light bodied, well carbonated, crisp at times

This is a mediocre, simple fruit beer. If you like blackberries and a light bodied beer then this is a decent offering. If you're looking for something complex or full bodied, look elsewhere.

3.22/5  rDev +10.7%

12oz can best by sep2012/

Look is a cloudy berry-red with a brown hue to it. Rough pour yielded an eerie light pink head that just looked wrong. Smell is raspberries, strawberries, and wheat. Taste is inoffensive, almost nonexistent wheat, tart berries with a cloying sweetness, with a dirty feeling finish. +1 feel for drinkability.

Definitely not my style of 'beer', but Leiny's knows it's fruit beers. It is what it says: a light wheat beer with tons of berries from the "northwoods of Wisconsin". A step above a wine cooler, I guess.

3.6/5  rDev +23.7%

A really nice light fruity beer. Nothing too bad but also nothing absolutely fantastic. I picked up a six for those times when I just wanted something light and this definitely fits the bill. I didn't pour it out, so no comment on the head or the over all colour. The taste had just enough 'beer' to it to let me know it was a beer and not a wine cooler. Honestly, I think this is a beer that a lot of people (who normally wouldn't like) could come to enjoy. Will I get another six... sure, now that my girlfriend likes it and she's busting into some of my other exotic craft beers. :)

3.79/5  rDev +30.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a lager glass. Pours a dark pink with a finger and a half worth of head. Interesting, to say the least. It smells exactly like a strawberry milkshake and is very appealing to anybody, even my girlfriend who typically doesn't enjoy any type of beer. The taste is of cherry 7up and that's about it. Not bad, But not really that great. While leaving it in the mouth, No additional flavors come through, it only feels like sparkling wine upon your tongue. Once again, interesting. Overall, This was a good " beer " however not something that I could drink a lot of.

4.03/5  rDev +38.5%

This is a summer beer that doesn't taste like regular beers. It's for hot days when in Europe a lot of people start switching to pink wine, this is the beer equivalent.

In the Netherlands I would drink Hoegaarden Rosée, this comes close in quality and level of refreshment.

In europe aften called a girl beer, lots of guys drink it too. Refreshing beer, that is anything but a traditional beer. For that, yes, it's way too sweet.

1.23/5  rDev -57.7%

This is without a doubt one of the worst beers I have ever tried, It is not even worthy of a pour into any of my glassware lest the super sweet artificial flavors may forever taint my glassware, i would rather drink any other beer before this atrocity, The only way i was able to finish half the bottle(wich was left at my house after a cookout) was to pretend it was a wine cooler, wich it's taste more resembles....do not buy, do not drink for free

2.73/5  rDev -6.2%

Pinkish rapidly dissipating head on a reddish orange hazy body.

S: raspberry, cherry and strawberry.

T: very sweet with nearly every berry flavor in one beer. No other flavors really.

M: light body and moderate to high carbonation.

Overall: Alcoholic fruit juice, period. Mikes hard fruit juice basically.

1.71/5  rDev -41.2%

Transparent and bubbly watermelon red. Thick head on the pour with a soda-like consistency. Brief head life and minimal lacing.

Smell is fruity with intense blackberry notes and almost gives me a headache.

Flavor is way too sweet. Some honey character and a massive berry flavor and tartness with candied sweetness. Just the slightest hint of barley malt. No hops or bitterness can be detected. Tastes like a berry soda.

Feel is dense, sticky and syrupy from all the sugars. This is honestly like drinking blackberry nectar if such a thing exists. Its only saving grace is the carbonation.

This stuff is absolute garbage! Each sip I took to write this review was painful and I can't wait til I'm done to pour this down the drain. What these brewers have to realize is that with fruity beers, less is more; its all about the balance. If you want to try a good example of this style, pick up some Founders cerise.

4.47/5  rDev +53.6%

One of my favorite pseudo-craft beers. It's 207 calories will scare some away, but this is a damn refreshing and delicious beer. Strong notes of wild berries with a bit of a wheat aftertaste.

Great in bottles, even better in a frosty can or mug. Love it.

2.94/5  rDev +1%

Poured a rather funky color. Pinkish/White head and an amber colored body. Not a bad looking beer but im nervous, sort of.

S- Can you say Strawberry Soda? Not much else to say but hints of berries, strawberries and some other fruity stuff.

T- Well the pour should have gave it away. Wild berry's and purple grapes. Reminds me of cranberry juice with some alcoholic kick to it.

M- Once again, soda like. Medium carbonation and a dry finish. Not much there after the liquid is in the stomach.

O- Half way through this beer I almost forgot it was an actual beer. If you like juice drinks then this is for you. I might consider buying this for my girlfriend who is into Mikes Hard Lemonade and all that other fruity stuff. Not a bad beer, it just depends on what you like.

3.03/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a hazy pink color with a medium off-white colored head. Smells like a berry flavored apple juice. Taste begins with some slightly sour apple flavor that is quite sweet, followed by some blackberries. There is a hint of malt and yeast flavor to know you are drinking a beer. The oversweet flavor becomes more and more cloying with each sip.

Mouthfeel is average. Overall too sweet, and the fruity flavor makes it taste more like a wine cooler than beer. Not horrible to drink, but not very beer like either.

3.85/5  rDev +32.3%

Pretty amazing pink tinted hue going on, head was white with addition of berry juice and flavors it's pretty much a light cotton candy pink frothing thick head. Aroma has tart vinous berries, with an upfront acidic quality with raspberry/strawberry juice notes. Flavor is a mix of juicy fruit, tart berries, earthy citrus flavor it's actually well blended...I thought I would have hated it but it's actually like a decent alcopop at least flavorwise. Great tasting by beverage definition they're onto something here, this will sell. Mouthfeel effervescent carbonation is sturdy, I actually enjoyed the beer it's filled with flavor and berry notes. Lighter bodied in beer standards slightly dry acidity, nothing like a Belgian fruit ale, but damn good drinking fruit beer that I generally despise even when made by microbrewers. Overall, I'm not into these types of beer, but I like this one go ahead try it, you may actually enjoy it.

2.92/5  rDev +0.3%

[Best served in a Flute glass]

The pour was a light reddish orange with a huge (3-4 finger) light pink fluffy head that was mostly lasting and had good spotty lacing.

The aroma was all about the berries with a light bread malt and a sweet yeast with notes of dark berries, candi-sugar and a definite Kool-Aid scent.

The taste was extremely sweet and a bit malty with a large dose of berries throughout and had a Cherry Kool-Aid finish. The flavor lasted only a short duration being of a candy sweet berry flavored soft drink.

Mouthfeel was light in body and watery in texture with a fizzy carbonation.

Overall although very sweet it was a rather refreshing and tasty brew, but basically it dose not resemble any type of brew I have had so far...

I poured this beer into a glassit has no head and the body is a blush color body. The smell is fruity and berry. The taste is berry, sweet, and fruity, not a normal beer taste. The mouthfeel is, it is almost like arbor mist. Overall this is a ok beer.

12 ounce bottle, there's a date of SEP 26 11 printed on it, but I have no idea if that's the bottled on or best by date. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a pinkish/amber color with a half inch light pink head. The head goes away quickly, and there isn't much lacing. The brew smells like berry fruit juice/drinks and grain. For the most part it tastes like it smells, it tastes like a mix of fruit juice, grainy malt and berry flavored carbonated water. The flavor isn't quite as artificial tasting as I was expecting, so that's a plus. Mouthfeel/body is light, it's a little bit syrupy and is well carbonated. As far as fruit beers go, I'd have to say this is average all around. I've had better and I've had worse. I don't think I'd buy a 6 pack of this, but if someone gave me a bottle (a friend did give me this one) I wouldn't turn it down, either.

2.11/5  rDev -27.5%

Had this at a friends house, it was the only one left and it was offered to me so i said what the hell.

Did not pour this into a glass the bottle was so cold almost frosty. this beer isn't my usual type to drink so i'm gonna start off by saying i wasn't a big fan of it. It was very fruity (berry) and grainy, so carbonated i could also sense it in the smell.

the taste was everything you'd think, like a carbonated kool-aid mix, definetly not what a ber should ever taste like! in a way i enjoyed the carbonation, it's basicly the ONLY thing i did enjoy. Everyone has they're own taste in beer, but this wasn't mine.

2.91/5  rDev 0%

12oz single given to me in a mix of beers and poured into my Sam Adams glass. It poured a somewhat hazy, pink amberish color with a large and fizzy head to it. Nice head retention and lacing as I drank it.

The aroma shows a lot of fruit extract flavors to it. I get some sweeter blackberry and cherry notes to it. I don't get much else coming out from behind the fruit extract flavors.

The taste has a sweet, fruit juice profile to it. I get cherry, blackberry and raspberry to it, but it's more of an extract fruitiness to it rather then fresh fruit. A lot of the sugary fruit sweetness is there as well making it almost Kool-Aid like.

The mouthfeel is light with carbonation being moderate. Overall it was easy drinking, light and would probably be nice on a real hot day. Unfortunately though I just didn't think it was a very good beer. It was very sweet and sugary like a fruit punch and the fruity flavors felt very extracty to me. Would be a good beer to give to non-beer lovers though so I'm sure it has it's place and fans.

3.15/5  rDev +8.2%

a very interesting brew. pours a fruity purplish pinkish infused hazy gold color with a small bubbly head. smells like preserved fruit, sugary jams, and wheat. taste is better than i thought itd be, sweet like white sugar, like a spoonful of smuckers jelly, with a pleasant yeasty finish. this is not my favorite style of beer, but it is good for what it is. mouthfeel is thin and quenching, summery, drinkable. more than a couple of these might rot your teeth though.

3.1/5  rDev +6.5%

A: The beer is slightly hazy yellowish amber in color and has no visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high white head that died down leaving a bit of lacing on the surface and a thin ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: There are moderately strong aromas of blackberries in the nose.
T: Like the smell, the taste has lots of flavors of berries, but it isn’t sweet and has a bit more acidity.
M: It feels light-bodied on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The beer is easy to drink and has some refreshing properties. It would be a good beer for a summer day.

2.33/5  rDev -19.9%

This is not usually a beer I would try, but when it comes in a sampler pack, what choice do you have? It would be a sin to waste beer. This viewpoint directly conflicts with my long held belief of “Don’t fruit the beer, at least not at the brewery.”

Poured from a 12-oz. bottle into a chilled Frankenberry cereal bowl. Very little head retention, almost like a soda.
An interesting amber/pink color. Nothing wrong with that, I’m a fan of interesting… to a point.

That point has been crossed. The light, crisp aromas and flavors typical in a weissbier have been steamrolled by the stronger presence of fruity sweetness. This is definitely too sweet for my taste, and the slight bitterness of the hops doesn’t provide a balance. Rather, it imbues a medicinal tinge to the flavor that cannot be overlooked-- flashbacks of Robitussin and kennel cough.

I’ve been known to squeeze a little lime in my Corona or Tecate. Once or twice I have even garnished a hefeweizen with a lemon slice, but that’s about where it ends. I like tuna, I like martinis, but I wouldn’t mix up a batch of tunatinis. I guess I’m just a fan of beer flavored beer.

3.9/5  rDev +34%

12oz bottle poured into a Shock Top weizen glass. Neck stamped OCT3111.

Appearance - Pink body with slight orange hue. White head with a tinge of pink. Billowing head with medium retention.

Smell - Billowing head with medium retention. Raspberry and or other berries. Can't really tell.

Taste - Fruity. Refreshing. Sweet front with tart body and finish. Slight hoppiness and low maltiness. The sweetness seems to be artificial. Still delicious though.

Mouthfeel - Light. Frothy in the mouth.

Overall Drinkability - Decent fruit beer.

3.2/5  rDev +10%

The Berry Weiss beer is a good fruit/veggie beer. The berries obviously dominate the smell and taste. The color was nice with decent white head. The mouthfeel was nice a light great for summertime libations. Although to sweet for me and I would not drink alot of this stuff.

2.08/5  rDev -28.5%

Muddled pink color, no head. Aroma of corn syrup and nerds candy.

I hate to use the word disgusting, but it seems apt here. Wheat aspect is commendable, but the 'fruit' aspect, is questionable at best. Comes off more like a soda with some wheat to it, moreso than a 'beer'. This type of beer gives other fruit beers bad names. When people say cough syrup (although at least this is a 'thin' one) or kool aid beer, this kinda gives them some ammo to substantiate their claim.

Really no redeeming quality to this 'beer', other than the fact its not absolutely terrible, it just kinda sucks.

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company