Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Leinenkugel's Berry WeissLeinenkugel's Berry Weiss

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 03-25-2002

Reviews: 370 | Hads: 1,260
4.47/5  rDev +53.6%

One of my favorite pseudo-craft beers. It's 207 calories will scare some away, but this is a damn refreshing and delicious beer. Strong notes of wild berries with a bit of a wheat aftertaste.

Great in bottles, even better in a frosty can or mug. Love it.

2.94/5  rDev +1%

Poured a rather funky color. Pinkish/White head and an amber colored body. Not a bad looking beer but im nervous, sort of.

S- Can you say Strawberry Soda? Not much else to say but hints of berries, strawberries and some other fruity stuff.

T- Well the pour should have gave it away. Wild berry's and purple grapes. Reminds me of cranberry juice with some alcoholic kick to it.

M- Once again, soda like. Medium carbonation and a dry finish. Not much there after the liquid is in the stomach.

O- Half way through this beer I almost forgot it was an actual beer. If you like juice drinks then this is for you. I might consider buying this for my girlfriend who is into Mikes Hard Lemonade and all that other fruity stuff. Not a bad beer, it just depends on what you like.

3.03/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a hazy pink color with a medium off-white colored head. Smells like a berry flavored apple juice. Taste begins with some slightly sour apple flavor that is quite sweet, followed by some blackberries. There is a hint of malt and yeast flavor to know you are drinking a beer. The oversweet flavor becomes more and more cloying with each sip.

Mouthfeel is average. Overall too sweet, and the fruity flavor makes it taste more like a wine cooler than beer. Not horrible to drink, but not very beer like either.

3.85/5  rDev +32.3%

Pretty amazing pink tinted hue going on, head was white with addition of berry juice and flavors it's pretty much a light cotton candy pink frothing thick head. Aroma has tart vinous berries, with an upfront acidic quality with raspberry/strawberry juice notes. Flavor is a mix of juicy fruit, tart berries, earthy citrus flavor it's actually well blended...I thought I would have hated it but it's actually like a decent alcopop at least flavorwise. Great tasting by beverage definition they're onto something here, this will sell. Mouthfeel effervescent carbonation is sturdy, I actually enjoyed the beer it's filled with flavor and berry notes. Lighter bodied in beer standards slightly dry acidity, nothing like a Belgian fruit ale, but damn good drinking fruit beer that I generally despise even when made by microbrewers. Overall, I'm not into these types of beer, but I like this one go ahead try it, you may actually enjoy it.

2.92/5  rDev +0.3%

[Best served in a Flute glass]

The pour was a light reddish orange with a huge (3-4 finger) light pink fluffy head that was mostly lasting and had good spotty lacing.

The aroma was all about the berries with a light bread malt and a sweet yeast with notes of dark berries, candi-sugar and a definite Kool-Aid scent.

The taste was extremely sweet and a bit malty with a large dose of berries throughout and had a Cherry Kool-Aid finish. The flavor lasted only a short duration being of a candy sweet berry flavored soft drink.

Mouthfeel was light in body and watery in texture with a fizzy carbonation.

Overall although very sweet it was a rather refreshing and tasty brew, but basically it dose not resemble any type of brew I have had so far...

I poured this beer into a glassit has no head and the body is a blush color body. The smell is fruity and berry. The taste is berry, sweet, and fruity, not a normal beer taste. The mouthfeel is, it is almost like arbor mist. Overall this is a ok beer.

12 ounce bottle, there's a date of SEP 26 11 printed on it, but I have no idea if that's the bottled on or best by date. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a pinkish/amber color with a half inch light pink head. The head goes away quickly, and there isn't much lacing. The brew smells like berry fruit juice/drinks and grain. For the most part it tastes like it smells, it tastes like a mix of fruit juice, grainy malt and berry flavored carbonated water. The flavor isn't quite as artificial tasting as I was expecting, so that's a plus. Mouthfeel/body is light, it's a little bit syrupy and is well carbonated. As far as fruit beers go, I'd have to say this is average all around. I've had better and I've had worse. I don't think I'd buy a 6 pack of this, but if someone gave me a bottle (a friend did give me this one) I wouldn't turn it down, either.

2.11/5  rDev -27.5%

Had this at a friends house, it was the only one left and it was offered to me so i said what the hell.

Did not pour this into a glass the bottle was so cold almost frosty. this beer isn't my usual type to drink so i'm gonna start off by saying i wasn't a big fan of it. It was very fruity (berry) and grainy, so carbonated i could also sense it in the smell.

the taste was everything you'd think, like a carbonated kool-aid mix, definetly not what a ber should ever taste like! in a way i enjoyed the carbonation, it's basicly the ONLY thing i did enjoy. Everyone has they're own taste in beer, but this wasn't mine.

2.91/5  rDev 0%

12oz single given to me in a mix of beers and poured into my Sam Adams glass. It poured a somewhat hazy, pink amberish color with a large and fizzy head to it. Nice head retention and lacing as I drank it.

The aroma shows a lot of fruit extract flavors to it. I get some sweeter blackberry and cherry notes to it. I don't get much else coming out from behind the fruit extract flavors.

The taste has a sweet, fruit juice profile to it. I get cherry, blackberry and raspberry to it, but it's more of an extract fruitiness to it rather then fresh fruit. A lot of the sugary fruit sweetness is there as well making it almost Kool-Aid like.

The mouthfeel is light with carbonation being moderate. Overall it was easy drinking, light and would probably be nice on a real hot day. Unfortunately though I just didn't think it was a very good beer. It was very sweet and sugary like a fruit punch and the fruity flavors felt very extracty to me. Would be a good beer to give to non-beer lovers though so I'm sure it has it's place and fans.

3.15/5  rDev +8.2%

a very interesting brew. pours a fruity purplish pinkish infused hazy gold color with a small bubbly head. smells like preserved fruit, sugary jams, and wheat. taste is better than i thought itd be, sweet like white sugar, like a spoonful of smuckers jelly, with a pleasant yeasty finish. this is not my favorite style of beer, but it is good for what it is. mouthfeel is thin and quenching, summery, drinkable. more than a couple of these might rot your teeth though.

3.1/5  rDev +6.5%

A: The beer is slightly hazy yellowish amber in color and has no visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high white head that died down leaving a bit of lacing on the surface and a thin ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: There are moderately strong aromas of blackberries in the nose.
T: Like the smell, the taste has lots of flavors of berries, but it isn’t sweet and has a bit more acidity.
M: It feels light-bodied on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The beer is easy to drink and has some refreshing properties. It would be a good beer for a summer day.

2.33/5  rDev -19.9%

This is not usually a beer I would try, but when it comes in a sampler pack, what choice do you have? It would be a sin to waste beer. This viewpoint directly conflicts with my long held belief of “Don’t fruit the beer, at least not at the brewery.”

Poured from a 12-oz. bottle into a chilled Frankenberry cereal bowl. Very little head retention, almost like a soda.
An interesting amber/pink color. Nothing wrong with that, I’m a fan of interesting… to a point.

That point has been crossed. The light, crisp aromas and flavors typical in a weissbier have been steamrolled by the stronger presence of fruity sweetness. This is definitely too sweet for my taste, and the slight bitterness of the hops doesn’t provide a balance. Rather, it imbues a medicinal tinge to the flavor that cannot be overlooked-- flashbacks of Robitussin and kennel cough.

I’ve been known to squeeze a little lime in my Corona or Tecate. Once or twice I have even garnished a hefeweizen with a lemon slice, but that’s about where it ends. I like tuna, I like martinis, but I wouldn’t mix up a batch of tunatinis. I guess I’m just a fan of beer flavored beer.

3.9/5  rDev +34%

12oz bottle poured into a Shock Top weizen glass. Neck stamped OCT3111.

Appearance - Pink body with slight orange hue. White head with a tinge of pink. Billowing head with medium retention.

Smell - Billowing head with medium retention. Raspberry and or other berries. Can't really tell.

Taste - Fruity. Refreshing. Sweet front with tart body and finish. Slight hoppiness and low maltiness. The sweetness seems to be artificial. Still delicious though.

Mouthfeel - Light. Frothy in the mouth.

Overall Drinkability - Decent fruit beer.

3.2/5  rDev +10%

The Berry Weiss beer is a good fruit/veggie beer. The berries obviously dominate the smell and taste. The color was nice with decent white head. The mouthfeel was nice a light great for summertime libations. Although to sweet for me and I would not drink alot of this stuff.

2.08/5  rDev -28.5%

Muddled pink color, no head. Aroma of corn syrup and nerds candy.

I hate to use the word disgusting, but it seems apt here. Wheat aspect is commendable, but the 'fruit' aspect, is questionable at best. Comes off more like a soda with some wheat to it, moreso than a 'beer'. This type of beer gives other fruit beers bad names. When people say cough syrup (although at least this is a 'thin' one) or kool aid beer, this kinda gives them some ammo to substantiate their claim.

Really no redeeming quality to this 'beer', other than the fact its not absolutely terrible, it just kinda sucks.

2.73/5  rDev -6.2%

Review from notes.

A: Berry Weiss is a orange/pink color with a 2 finger white head upon pouring. The head fades slowly, but leaves at least a little bit on top for the entire time. Decent lacing.

S: Lots of sugary berries, hard to distinguish which ones though.

T: Extremely sweet. Heavy berry flavor, but very sugary. There is a bit of honey and some wheat. Hard to really pick anything else out above the sugary berry flavor.

M: Light to medium bodied with high carbonation. Finishes slightly sticky.

O: The sugary/sweetness keeps this beer from being very drinkable. I was happy enough to try it, but certainly did not want another one. I can see why some people might like this beer though.

4.47/5  rDev +53.6%

In my opinion this beer is great on a warm summer night or anytime during the summer. I work part-time at a beer distributor and have recommended this beer to customers and it seems to sell ok when we have it in stock. my friends also seem to enjoy it too.

2.13/5  rDev -26.8%

12 oz can

This is the first Berry Weiss I have had in years (because it was so bad I swore it off). I figured I'd give the canned version a shot.

While this may be slightly better now versus my memory, it still isn't very good. It looks, smells, tastes and feels like thin juice or a wine cooler.

The artificial-tasting berry flavors remind me of cheap jelly. Thin and unsatisfying, even those around me who claimed to like it had a hard time finishing even one.

I know there will probably always be a market out there for this stuff but I don't know why. Not a Jacob Leinenkugel best. Probably their worst, IMHO.

2.67/5  rDev -8.2%

After having just experienced the horror of Rock Hard Red, I feel like maybe I can better appreciate what this one may do better for a fruit beer.

A. Cloudy dark pink. Opaque and fizzy, no head at all. Looks like clouded-up "berry" soda.

S,T. Berry soda, but not as artificial-smelling nor over-the-top smothering in your face as Rock Hard Red was. Blackberry and raspberry jam spread thick on top of the thinnest possible wheat cracker you could possibly imagine. In fact, the imaginary cracker just broke in half when you picked it up and stained your imaginary shirt with jam. This one is not entirely cloying, merely *mostly* cloying. At least I can taste some kind of wheat malt faintly in this one, so it's not all bad. Tolerable, even.

M. Like a soda in every way. Thin and watery.

3.05/5  rDev +4.8%

A: Pours a cloudy light red, purple pink color with a small white foam head that quickly dissipates to a film and then disappears eventually. Not much lacing.

S: Light chewrry, blueberry and blackberry scents on the nose with a small amount of toasted grain and bread.

T: Not an overly complex brew, but it reminds me of dark cherry A-Treat soda without the carbonation. A decent amount of dark berries and toasted white bread.

M: A little thin but this light body beer leaves a clean and crisp taste on the palate.

O: Not a beer I normally would reach for, but it was a refreshing choice for a 4th of July picnic where the weather was hazy hot and humid.

1.84/5  rDev -36.8%

12 oz bottle with a date of May 23 11. Sadly I bought it yesterday at Spec's, thanks for selling beer past it's pull date guys. Pours a hazed, reddish-copper color with a lavender tinted head. Retention is average and lacing is good.

Nose is very berry-oriented with more of a sweet lean than tart. Blackberry is most identifiable fruit and the wheat gets lost in the fruit-dominated aroma. More like a soda or alcopop than beer.

Waaay sweeter than I expected...leaves a syrupy, fruity residue on the lips. Beery aspects of this beverage are almost completely lost to artificial-tasting sweet fruit juice. I have a soft spot for fruit beers, but this is difficult for me to finish. I dont know if a fresher sample would help, but I cant help but think the sweet, artificial berry flavor would still be overwhelming. As much as I hate the malt beverage cliche 'panty-dropper', that is what came to mind right off the bat for this atrocity.

2.8/5  rDev -3.8%

This beer was served out of a 12oz. bottle dispensed into a glass....

Presentation - Very colorful label that was eyecatching.

Appearance - Poured a orangish-pink with a 1 finger pink-white foam head that dissipates quickly. Not much lacing left behind at all.

Smell - Smells of light wheat and very sweet berry. Not much malts or hops aroma.

Taste - Tastes sweet with berry flavor very very prevalent.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied and lightly carbonated.

Drinkability - Smooth and tasty.

This offering was much too sweet for my liking. It reminded me more of a wine cooler than a beer. I would not want to try it again.

3.35/5  rDev +15.1%

12oz can poured into a pint glass.
A: Orange-pink color. Two-finger head with a slight pink tint.
S: Sweet berries, a hint of malt.
T: Fairly sweet, but good. Mixed berries, again some malt. No hops present.
M: Smooth, a bit thin. Nothing special nor bad.
O: Nothing about this is remotely complex, and reminds me more of a malt cooler than a beer. That being said, it is darn tasty and I could probably knock back a six-pack without thinking twice.

3.15/5  rDev +8.2%

Man did I over do it with this stuff at Summer Fest in 1990-something. It was the year it was released so it was pretty trendy. I guess we all have those stories to tell, so blah.... blah... blah... I picked up a sampler recently so I'm giving this a go.

Poured out of a 12oz can into my Ale Asylum pint glass.

A) It's a hazy pinkish color. I gave it a pretty aggressive pour, but there was still very little head.

S) I expected more when I stuck my nose into this brew. Initially there was just light fruity notes. I will say that as the beer warmed the fruity and floral fragrance was more predominant.

T) It reminded me a bit of cough syrup. You know, the kind you don't mind taking, but it's also not doing a damn thing for you.

M) I have no complaints here.

O) I'm not opposed to fruit beers. This just wouldn't be my first choice. I mean, give me a good framboise or a kriek any day of the week.

2.76/5  rDev -5.2%

A - Pours pink with half an inch of white foam and soda-like carbonation. Looks an awful lot like some kind of Fanta.

S - Also smells like soda. Smells like mixed berries, possibly sugar-sweetened. This isn't necessarily a bad sign, though (although it seems a bit overdone) - it could just go with the style.

T - Can't really figure out where it's going. Fruit taste is forward, but not very strong. Then it goes pretty quickly to a little bit of hops and astringency, sliding into some standard-issue weak wheat-beer flavor in the aftertaste. New Glarus Belgian Red it ain't.

M - Surprisingly long finish for a beer that basically drinks like a soda. Thin and fizzy at first, it seems to get more substantial with time. Again, I wish it could figure out which one it was supposed to be.

Overall, not a great exemplar of the style. Be a fruit beer, or be a weizen. Can't do both.

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company