Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 03-25-2002

Reviews: 367 | Hads: 1,241
2.15/5  rDev -27.6%

Sweet-berry disaster in my opinion...way above and beyond the call of a fruit beer in that there's no trace of balance for the sweetness and little mouthfeel to balance the over-carbed fizziness...can be refreshing on first impression but the over sweet and bubbly taste and cloying swallow annoy me more with every sip...not recommended... (340 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -27.6%

Single, twelve ounce bottle just copped from Total Wine and More in West Orange... Out of all of the Leinenkugel beers I've sampled, this was by far my least favorite... The berry flavor was way too intense and too strongly reminiscent of a blackberry or berry soda for me to actually consider this a drinkable beer...
Pours an off-color, reddish hue with a modest head...
Smell was replete with blackberries, wheat, and sugars...
Taste was way too sweet with too much sugar in the backbone and a cloying presence of berries that rendered this one basically undrinkable for me...
Not recommended... Literally tastes liked spiked soda... (636 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Pours light amber with a bubbly thick head.

Smell is alcoholic and stout, with an artificial berry and solvent note.

Taste is astringent, yet true to the style. A bit solventy, yet filled with a juicy berry and weiss combonation. The weiss is definitely in the background with the berry taking over. Moderately sweet, and the flavors aren't too offensive - the astringent metallic note though is. So going to knock some points off here.

An odd tasting beer, that doesn't quite stack up and the metallic note just kills it. A nice attempt though. (548 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Dark pink almost the color of grapefruit and slightly hazy with thin off-white pink tinted head.

A- Almost overpowering sweet berries

T- Berries are the first thing I taste similar to a malt beverage like Schmirnoff but that gives way to a malty flavor and aftertaste.

M- Medium-light body. Moderate-high carbonation.

D- It reminds me of a malt beverage or a mixed drink with a bit of malt added more than anything. Perhaps a non-beer drinker would like this beer, but it's too sweet for my taste. (504 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -27.3%

What can i say except that this reminds me of a wine cooler or something along those lines. Luckily i was given one of these and didnt make the mistake of buying a whole sixer. Some artificial berry flavors mixed into a standard beer. Skip this poser. (251 characters)

2.17/5  rDev -26.9%

12oz bottle poured into nonic pint glass, no freshness date.

A: Pours a soda like purple mixed with brown, the head is a half inch of pure whiteness which is an odd contrast with the purple liquid, no lacing.

S: Soda like berry scent mixed with ceral grains here and there, all fakeness which is not so nice, just does not look or smell like a beer.

T/MF: Soda like mouthfeel with lots of little bubbles all over the tongue, light bodied and crisp and finishs pretty clean, soda like stickyness is mostly what lingers. Tastes of soda flavord berry sugary flavors with a hint of malt and ceral breadiness near the finish.

D. Sort of boring but I could see how this would be refreshing after a long hot day outside. Not a beer for beer lovers. (753 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -26.3%

I tried this beer on a whim. It looked average, smelled great (the berries, obviously), but I can't get on board with the taste. If I was faced with a choice between this and something like Smirnoff Ice, I'd go with this, but that's probably the only time. (256 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle dated Jul 06 15. Sampled May 15, 2015.

The color is a sort of orange-strawberry sparkling water color with a burst of white head that fizzles as fast as it erupts.

The aroma is mostly strawberry, blackberry, and a tiny hint of honey.

Light body

The flavor surprised me a little. I do get the weakest note of toasted bread and a very mild bitterness but otherwise it is all berries. (414 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -24.9%

Well I unknowingly ordered this Berry Leiney, I was hoping it was just a wheat beer, but to my dismay it was riddled with berry flavor.

It looked good, soapy white head on a cloudy bright yellow liquid.

The aroma was faint and consisted of raspberries namely, some blackberry too.

The flavor was a major dissappointmet. Tastes like a blueberry/raspberry puree poured into a wheat beer. It is what it is. Finishes a bit sour and overly sweet. Lemony hop is out of place here.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied.

Drinkability rates low, cloyingly sweet, artificial berry taste, whats to like? I would reccommend this to a casual beer drinker, not a beer enthusiast who appreciates better beer. (688 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -24.9%

Wow, liquid syrup in a bottle. When they say it’s brewed with honey, they mean it. Also, it is “flavored” with blackberry juice and other natural berry flavors” – don’t like that aspect of the brew. The sweet berry flavors were just to overpowering, dominating every taste.

The pour, rose red color, medium bodied texture were all fine – just not very drinkable with that soda pop berry flavor. Closer to a alco pop malt beverage than a brew. (452 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -24.6%

This was one of the selections in the Leinie variety pack. Maybe I would have liked it better on a warm summer day, but I doubt it. This was a reddish/pink beer with a small pink head. When the head quickly disappeared, it looked like fruit juice. It had a sweet berry aroma, not too bad. But the sweetness overwhelmed the taste. Way too sweet, way too juice-like. (364 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -24.6%

Looks like grapefruit juice with a surprisingly sturdy finger of head perched on top.

Actually smells like a combination of tart raspberry and sweet blackberry. Not really "beer-y", but alluring just the same.

No, sorry. It doesn't taste bad but it doesn't resemble any sort of beer that I'm familiar with. Tastes like fruit soda poured into a weak wheat beer. Sloppy at best with a semi-offensive adjunct aftertaste.

Fizzy and thin, this is not something I have even the slightest urge to revisit. If I want soda, I'll buy soda. If I want a fruit beer, I'll buy a fruit beer. This doesn't really work as either. The thing is, I actually like fruit beers and another Wisconsin brewery (New Glarus) offers two such beers that are also quite sweet but are far superior. The difference is that those beers combine fruit and grain in a seamless way whereas this tastes like a mixer. Never a good sign when the brewers recommend you pour their beer over ice (the website used to suggest this). (991 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -23.2%

A- Pours a purple color small head that goes to a thin layer of bubbles leaving no lacing.

S- Very sweet. Berries imagine that and that's about it.

T- Again berries all over the place. That's all I could taste very sweet. More like a wine cooler than a beer.

M- Seems really light and watery.

D- Well, I'm still not a fan of these fruit beers. I'll keep trying them and maybe find one that I like. I'll pass on this way too sweet and fruity for me. (454 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -23.2%

A: pinkish, purple body, big 2 finger head, and very little lacing.

S: raspberry, logan berry, perhaps blueberry. sugary sweet.

T: powerful sweet berries similar to the scent.

M: syrupy, big carbonation, feels a like a wine cooler or berry cola.

D: Can't handle more than one due to the sweetness. After visiting Leine's Chippewa Falls Brewery, I asked the tour guide, "do people actually buy Berry Weiss?" He responded, "it's a huge hit with the ladies." (462 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -22.9%

A - Poured out pink. Yes, pink! It also had an orangish hue. It really looked like Kool-Aid.

S - It smelled like berry. Just berry.

T - It tasted like berries only. There was NO beer taste at all. It was very sweet.

M - It was fairly crisp and light-bodied.

D - This was hard to drink. Too sweet and no real beer characteristics. I usually enjoy the style, but this one didn't do it for me. (395 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -22.2%

This beer pours a pinkish rose color. It has an off color pink head that gives way to lacing. The smell is of fruit and not much else. The taste is straight fruit. It is like drinking fruity peebles with alcohol. The mouthfeel is dry. Overall the drinkability is low, it is a little much however, my girlfriend who doesn't like beer thought it was great. (354 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -22.2%

12 oz bottle acquired from Whole Foods in ATL at my girlfriend's request. Figured I would give it a shot. Poured into a pint.

A: Poured a strange, enchanting color. Has yellow and pink hues. Got a huge, bubbly pink head. Actually created some sticky lacing that was a bit of a shock. Not bad looking.

S: Uh, smells like sugar, berries, over ripe fruits, and candy.

T: Candied berries, very sweet with heavy sugar. Not tasting much of anything else

M: Very thing but still coats the mouth. Probably the sugar. Has a lot of carbonation.

D: Girlfriend loves it, not a fan myself. Way to sweet and too many artifical flavor masking any trace of beer. Blah. (658 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -21.9%

12oz. bottle poured into a Leinie's weiss glass

It pours a orange pink color with a frothy 2 finger head in the slightest pink shade that lingers a surprising amount of time. The beer has just a touch of haziness to it. A very minimal amount of lacing

The nose is upfront and fairly sweet with the berries. Unlike other well done fruit beers where the smell of fresh fruit is overpowering this one lends itself to a seemingly artificial extract raspberry smell without much backbone to it.

The first thing that hits my tongue is an overwhelming amount of sweetness. Those raspberry extract flavors then through with the expected flavors that come with using flavoring. The sweetness and the raspberry completely over powers any beer type taste. While swishing the beer in my mouth I could detect just the slightest flavor and mouthfeel of wheat. Besides that it's a very one dimensional sweet tasting fruit beer and not a very good example

The mouth feel is pretty clean, crisp and dry. I understand that all of Leinie's regular offerings are produced as lagers this shows. Hardly any body to the beer at all. The carbonation level is on the higher side which to me help wash away all the sweetness. Drinkability is pretty low because of the sweetness. Out of the many times I've had this beer I always find the last half of the pint almost unbearable in the how sugary it tastes. (1,385 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Light purple brown color.
Aroma: Sweet berry smell, like a wine cooler.
Flavor: Malty, very sweet berry taste; non-hoppy. Light bodied.
Overall: Malty like a beer, sweet like a wine cooler. No real redeeming quality to this 'beer', other than the fact its not absolutely terrible. It just kinda sucks!! (314 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -21.5%

My brother gave me a single of this. I don't know why. I won't be thanking him.

Pours a burnt orange color, slightly hazed with a pretty full but fizzy off-white, slightly pinkish head. Actually keeps a pretty good head.

Smell is sweet and fruity, lots of berry aromas. I can tolerate most any smell so long as it's not offensive. This is fruity but it's not offensive.

I said I could tolerate any smell as long as it's not offensive, but not so with the taste. This is ridiculously sweet and fruity. Lots of berry flavor, like drinking a malt liquor or something. It's not really a bad flavor, but not something I seek out in beer, or anywhere else actually. My brother described it as fruity pebbles in beer. I'll go with that.

Mouthfeel is light, but not thin, with adequate carbonation.

I won't touch this again. This might work on my wife, but I don't need another. (875 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -21.5%

This is not usually a beer I would try, but when it comes in a sampler pack, what choice do you have? It would be a sin to waste beer. This viewpoint directly conflicts with my long held belief of “Don’t fruit the beer, at least not at the brewery.”

Poured from a 12-oz. bottle into a chilled Frankenberry cereal bowl. Very little head retention, almost like a soda.
An interesting amber/pink color. Nothing wrong with that, I’m a fan of interesting… to a point.

That point has been crossed. The light, crisp aromas and flavors typical in a weissbier have been steamrolled by the stronger presence of fruity sweetness. This is definitely too sweet for my taste, and the slight bitterness of the hops doesn’t provide a balance. Rather, it imbues a medicinal tinge to the flavor that cannot be overlooked-- flashbacks of Robitussin and kennel cough.

I’ve been known to squeeze a little lime in my Corona or Tecate. Once or twice I have even garnished a hefeweizen with a lemon slice, but that’s about where it ends. I like tuna, I like martinis, but I wouldn’t mix up a batch of tunatinis. I guess I’m just a fan of beer flavored beer. (1,157 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -21.5%

Color is a reddish/orange with some pretty good carbonation, and a foamy white head with a bit of a reddish tinge to it. Aroma is very sweet, smelling of, you guessed it, berries. No big surprise there.

Tastes of berries again, seems to focus on raspberries here, and very, very sweet. Tastes more like a malternative than a beer to me. Much to sweet for my taste. Feel is crisp, but a bit too carbonated, again, feeling like a malternative instead of a beer.

For the malternative crowd, this is probably good. I've got a buddy who is hopelessly addicted to sweet ciders, as well, and he loves this stuff. I personally don't care for the sweeter beers, and this definitelly falls into that category. (705 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -21.5%

Appearance: Pours out a clearish, pinkish-orangey body with a thinnish, white head.

Smell: Fruity Pebbles on the nose.

Taste: Sugary sweet berry blend, baby! A dash of Snapple, Kool-Aid, a packet of artificial sweetener, and booze. No hops or bitterness. You'll find more IBU's in the angry glare I'm giving this thing.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: This one just isn't for me. Has more in common with those malternative beverages and, if that's your bag, then maybe you'll be damn pleased to pound down a Berry Weiss. (555 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -20.9%

We recently bought a keg of this because it was extremely cheap, decided to try it as getting Leinenkugel beer out here is quite rare.

A: This stuff looked like berry lemonade when being poured out of the keg. The head wasn't too bad, a nice bright white that lasted surprisingly well.

S: The smell was of well...berries and not much else. As my one friend said, it smells like cereal and beer.

T: My initial reaction to this was that it was very very sweet. Almost like drinking a "Hard" Lemonade. There is actually very little in this beer that made me think beer, the aftertaste was somewhat malty though to bring me back to the fact that indeed it was a beer.

M: All i can say for the mouth is that it is sugary, almost to the point of hurting one's teeth. The carbonation though was exactly what I like in a beer.

D: Overall this beer is quite easy to drink, and drink a fair amount of it, I wouldn't recommend more than one or two as the sugar really can catch up quickly.

I wasn't dissappointed with the beer, but I did figure it would be a little less fruity and sugary. As far as getting a keg to drink before a football game, it was not a wise decision. (1,169 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -20.5%

a-light purpulish color small head
s- smelled a prsescence of hops and berry traces
t-the berry taste was very strong with only a slight trace of hops
m and d- very sweet, felt like i was drinking a wine

I'll admit limited knowlege on fruit beer style. But, I feel this beer was just to sweet. I feel they could've done better evening out the berries and the hop and malt taste. (379 characters)

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company