Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 03-25-2002

Reviews: 366 | Hads: 1,238
3.37/5  rDev +13.5%

A - Red and cloudy. Looks like a berry, maybe looks like a dark fruit juice? I don't know, a very unique look. Not like many beers I've had. Foamy bright white head.

S - Smells like berries. Alot like berries.

T - Berries, berries, berries, and a little bit of beer.

M - Smooth, creamy. A good mouthfeel for me.

Overall an interesting beer. Worth a try. Not good for a session beer unless you're a fan of malternatives. The sugary, acidity would affect my stomach. (468 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +40.4%

Here is a fun change for those who like to challenge their beer taste buds. As a surprise this beer comes off like a wine cooler. Get past the, “this is too sweet to be beer” and enjoy the enveloping berry flavor. Try it on your favorite female companion and get her opinion. A man drink Leinenkugel Berry Weiss is like man driving a Mozda Miata or wearing a kilt. Just let go, be free and enjoy the experience…. (415 characters)

Hmmm, not sure this is actual "beer". I've had a lot of other fruity wheat's before that have a lot more going for them in the beer department.

This pours a damn near pink, and is super carbonated giving you a very light pink, good size head. Gets to a ring pretty fast, a little lacing here and there. Beer smells very fruity, can't really get anything else smell-wise other than the dark berries that are super evident. The taste is basically the same as the smell. Not necessarily a bad taste, but the beer part of it just doesn't ever come through. VERY fruity, VERY sweet, VERY carbonated. This probably wouldn't be bad with a salad or some chicken during the summer time, but it's not what you're going for if you're looking to sit down with a "beer". Like someone said before, if your girlfriend hates beer, she'll probably like this. (844 characters)

3.32/5  rDev +11.8%

A: A cloudy, pink tinted fruit beer with a thin but noticable head
S: Fruity, but bitter aroma. Strong blackberry smell.
M: Sharp, strong carbonation, but very light.
T: It had a taste that reminded me of Berry Juicy Juice with a very bitter aftertasted
D: It's something I could definitely drink a few of, but it was so sweet, it's not something I would want to start drinking with.

This beer belongs in a category of Dessert Beers. (434 characters)

1.4/5  rDev -52.9%

Now I'm a big fan of wheat beer, but this one is 8 kinds of wrong. It tastes like some kind of strawberry soda, and I'm sorry but that's just not right for a wheat beer.

Good and bad:

Good:
Umm... it's technically still a beer right...? Right...?

Bad:
The flavor is just all kinds of wrong.

I normally try to be gracious about beer, but this one's recipe needs to be scrubbed. (380 characters)

1.04/5  rDev -65%

I did not enjoy this at all..I always see this beer but never actually see anybody buy it and now I know why..way too sweet! Maybe someone goin from wine coolers to beer might enjoy this ! (188 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -8.1%

My first Leinenkugel product. I never drank many berry beers before but I knew that I wasn't a big fan but had to try this anyways.

A- Red

S- Very fruity as you'd expect

T- Tasted very fruity. Too fruity. I'm not big on these fruity beers but I had to try it as it is a Leinenkugel product and I was curious.

M- Very light.

D- Very drinkable. I don't like them so I won't be drinking any more but I can see how somebody who likes them can knock a few back with ease. (472 characters)

3.12/5  rDev +5.1%

This beer poured a large 1.5 finger head that left little if any lacing behind. It had a light golden/reddish color to it.

It smell sweet light berry kool-aid.

The mouth feel was light and crisp, but it left a weird after taste.

Taste was not bad, it was very sweet and light almost like drinking a wine cooler.

Drinkability is average at best, I can see drink a few of these but the sweetness and the after taste gets old. (427 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +7.7%

Apperance- Has about an inch or two of a pink head when poured settles quickly beer is a pinkish amber

Smell- Berries and a little wheat

Taste- Taste a variety of barries and some honey definite fruit taste

Mouthfeel- Is a ligher bodied beer, goes down smooth

Drinkability- This beer is right about average it is decent but nothing to brag about (349 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -11.4%

Beer pours a light purple color. At first sight I already knew how it would taste. Smell of pure blackberries, nothing else. Taste is of muted berries and honey. Not as much there as I would have thought. This beer couldn't decide if it wanted to be sweet or tart. Very weird tasting fruit/wheat beer. Mouthfeel was that of a hefe, pretty basic there. I couldn't even finish my first one. Had half the bottle and dumped the rest down the old drain. Clearly not one of my favorites. (481 characters)

3.19/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: hazy, light purple with red undertone, decent sized head-slight pink undertone

Smell: berry, blackberry, raspberry, sweet, citrus

Taste: Honey, blackberries--very sweet, but not incredibly overwhelming

Mouthfeel: mild carbonation, easy to go down, refreshing

Overall: A decent fruity-flavored beer, but not outstanding by any means.. but refreshing on a hot summer day, and enjoyable time to time--the berry flavors are appreciated (447 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +37.7%

A- Pours the color of watermelon with a large foamy head that lingers nicely with some lacing.

S- You can smell this beer across the room. Strong berry scent, not surprising.

T- Maybe not the popular opinion but I loved the taste. Had a fragrant, almost sour taste that reminded me very much of lingenberry soda that you can buy at IKEA. But despite its strong berry, almost fruit wine taste, I sensed some hints of wheat, almost bready or doughy at the back of the tongue. Slightly more complex than I was expecting.

M- Pretty good. Not a whole lot to note here except its almost wine cooler type mouthfeel.

D- Quite drinkable if you're into the fruit beers.

Overall, considerably better than most reviews here would lead you to believe (in my opinion). Leinenkugal's makes a nice product. (795 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -15.2%

Beer poured a nice colored red (definately not a traditional beer color, but nice looking anyway). Nice head on it, but didn't stay around long. The aroma was a wonderful berry aroma without a hint of any real beer aromas. Taste is almost sickeningly sweet, almost like a soda. Flavor of berry concentrate overpowers all other flavors, especially the wonderful flavors of a traditional weiss. Definately not a food beer as every food I ate with this beer, made it taste nasty. (476 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -5.7%

This purplish-red beer is a berry patch version of Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy: pour blackberry, boysenberry and ripe raspberry juice into a easy-going wheat beer.

The combination of sugars and silky wheat beer give this drink a slightly syrupy feel that can put one off if not in the proper mood. But when a drinker wants a soda pop beer, this is a nice choice. This is a great drink for desserts or an autumn evening campfire. (429 characters)

3.42/5  rDev +15.2%

Appearance: Beers pours out as a thin pink honey. Minimal and porous head that forms a thin ring on the surface. Thin trails of fine carbonation throughout.

Smell: Sweet and Fruity. You can definitely smell the berry (raspberry and strawberry) and stone fruit (apricot and plum).

Taste: Sweet and fruity with a tart tail. Tastes more like a wine cooler or bellini. Very overt taste of strawberry, raspberry and apricot. A hint of citrus. It reminds me of berry-flavoured Boston Seltzer (remember that?)

Mouthfeel: Very thin and easy to drink. Feels like a spiked juice or soft drink. Minor carbonation, very unobstrusive.

Drinkability: Easily drinkable. Tastes sweet and not at all harsh. I would recommend for people who want to drink something sweet, or who are looking for an alcoholic alternative to soda. Good for those who typically do not enjoy more dense beer. Definitely serve cold.

Serving type: bottle poured into a pint glass. (944 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -4%

Berry wheat beer, deffinatly with more berry than beer. Dont expect much foam or collar, its a wheat. it pours a light purple color, unlike the abita which is much lighter.

S-amazing smell of berrys but oh so sweet.

T- Good for the first few but after 2 or 3 its off to the dentist. this stuff is like a wine cooler.More brew needed to even out sweetness

M- Sweet and sour like a wine cooler, drinks like a pop.

D-This beer has potential if they would add less berry flavoring, i believe this beer is BREWED with berries, not just added but i may be wrong.

All in all, buy the variety pack of lienies, try em all! (619 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -20.5%

a-light purpulish color small head
s- smelled a prsescence of hops and berry traces
t-the berry taste was very strong with only a slight trace of hops
m and d- very sweet, felt like i was drinking a wine

I'll admit limited knowlege on fruit beer style. But, I feel this beer was just to sweet. I feel they could've done better evening out the berries and the hop and malt taste. (379 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +36%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

When you first pour this stuff its a very red color. It's appearance is a little strange, sort of like a light fizzy cranberry juice or something.
Smell was good, but nothing out standing.
As for the taste, very impressive. It is quite sweet (some might want to try cutting it down by mixing it with honey weiss if its too sweet for their taste,) however its still not nearly as sweet as most of the malted fruit-flavored beers. Although others have said so, I think it is certainly not like a wine cooler. It reminds me a bit of some of the sweeter red wines.
Overall an excellent beer. Quite refreshing compared to most beers, in my opinion. (646 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +32.7%

Purple/copper in color. A nice white head with only decent retantion and size after an agressive pour.

Very fruity nose with distinct nose of raspberry and blackberry.

Rather sweet with a strong front of raspberries, blackberries and strawberries.

Very light and smooth. Nice and crisp. Not a very carbonated feel but not a flat beer by any means. Mouthfeel as well as body more like a cider than a typical beer.

Absolutely drinkable especially for those that are leery about beers tasting too bitter. Something I could enjoy on a nice summer night. (553 characters)

1.33/5  rDev -55.2%

stupidity on my part i took a drink from the bottle, so the appearcnce of the beer i didn't get much of a chance to see.
high berry fruity smell. remember the miller lite commercials with the celebrities in the glass box making the "beer rules"? the smell of berry weiss reminds me of that commercial of "don't fruit the beer".
the taste i think is worse than the smell. took one drink and spit it out in the sink. tried to pawn of the open bottle onto my wife, who also took one drink and that was it. we dumped the rest of the bottle. (537 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +34.3%

A: Beautiful red color, one finger head, but dissipates rapidly

S: Delicious. Like freshly picked blackberries.

T: Like a smoothie. It's very fruity but also retains a note of hops. A little bitter but that's from the fruit, not the hops.

M: Watery but pleasing to the palate.

D: this is a sipping beer, not a guzzling one. Two would suffice; three would be too much sweetness. (382 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +43.8%

A: The beer pours pink! It's got a thin head that dissolves really quickly, so it looks more like champagne than beer.

S: It smells sweet like fruit. Maybe aromatic hops? Mmmmm...

T: Ok, so the beer doesn't really taste like a beer. I haven't tasted enough rasberry beers to know if they really taste like beer, so I'm not going to knock it for that. Not as much carbonation as a Miller Lite, but more than your average beer.

I really like the fruity sweet-tart taste to this beer. I could drink it all day, especially in the summer. (537 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -13.5%

Appearance: A light reddish pink with a decent head that quickly dies down. Very little lacing.

Smell: A strong mixture of fruity berries. A first smell I already know that this beer is not going to be for me.

Taste: Extremely tart. Way too sweet for my liking. When I initially purchased this beer I expected a slight berry taste with a least some beer taste to it. But that is not the case with this beer, it tastes like a berry soda. Isn't terrible for hot days but that's the best review I can give it. After each drink I cringe at the tartness. Could not drink more than one bottle in a day. I'll give the rest of the six pack to my girlfriend and hope it doesn't go to waste.

Mouthfeel: Feel is medium body but not due to any normal ingredients you expect in a beer but medium because of the amount of sugar they pour into this beer.

Overall: The first drink or two is ok but even after that tasting I can already feel myself growing distant from the beer. I've heard of people mixing this beer half and half with other beers and I can understand why. It's simply overwhelming, if Leinenkugels could cut the taste in half I would be much more satisfied. (1,163 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Its too sweet for a beer. Its beer candy hahaha. Its pretty smooth but its too sweet when you want "real" beer. So it might be good for a beginner or to convert someone to trying beer if they like sweet drinks and liquor. (221 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +38.7%

1st, let me put you strait. I am not terribly fond of standard beer, I love sweet and sour drinks, but most beers i find are either bitter or skunky, neither of which i care for.

Appearance - pouring into a pilsner, looks like a purple wine, not really a beer, however it does give a fairly good head, and distinct lacing.

Aroma - smells like a sweet drink, closer to juice than beer.

Taste - sort of like you take a light beer and put some juice in it. has some beer flavor, but not significant. if you don't really care for most beers, you might like it. I did.

Mouthfeel - feels foamy and light, what i prefer.

Drinkability - even someone who doesn't usually care for beer, I could drink several fairly quickly without realizing its beer. (746 characters)

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company