Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

poor

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 03-25-2002)
3.05/5  rDev +8.9%

A: Pours a cloudy light red, purple pink color with a small white foam head that quickly dissipates to a film and then disappears eventually. Not much lacing.

S: Light chewrry, blueberry and blackberry scents on the nose with a small amount of toasted grain and bread.

T: Not an overly complex brew, but it reminds me of dark cherry A-Treat soda without the carbonation. A decent amount of dark berries and toasted white bread.

M: A little thin but this light body beer leaves a clean and crisp taste on the palate.

O: Not a beer I normally would reach for, but it was a refreshing choice for a 4th of July picnic where the weather was hazy hot and humid.

IronCitySteve, Jul 04, 2011

Slay40, May 11, 2013
2.65/5  rDev -5.4%

From a 12 oz bottle with no visible freshness date, into a pint glass. It's a hazy reddish-brown cloudy color with a thin head of white "spit" despite a vigorous pour. Rapid fade leaves a thin cap with some spotty lace. Nose is very sweet, with a definite "berry" presence, kind of like weak "berry" Kool-Aid. No wheat or yeast aromas. In the mouth, it's like a berry wine cooler, with some natural and artificial berry flavors, most notably blackberry/blueberry. Verging on oversweet but doesn't quite tip the scales. Finishes on a bit of a bready wheat note. Crisp and bubbly on the tongue; complementary to taste. Drinkability is decent; it's not bad but verging on cloying sweetness.

Overall: I'll pass on this one, good thing it was a single at a bar.

jettjon, Feb 01, 2008

JimmytheSaintPSU, Aug 19, 2012

Amp, Dec 22, 2011
1.75/5  rDev -37.5%

beersdmf17, Apr 03, 2014
2.17/5  rDev -22.5%

12oz bottle poured into nonic pint glass, no freshness date.

A: Pours a soda like purple mixed with brown, the head is a half inch of pure whiteness which is an odd contrast with the purple liquid, no lacing.

S: Soda like berry scent mixed with ceral grains here and there, all fakeness which is not so nice, just does not look or smell like a beer.

T/MF: Soda like mouthfeel with lots of little bubbles all over the tongue, light bodied and crisp and finishs pretty clean, soda like stickyness is mostly what lingers. Tastes of soda flavord berry sugary flavors with a hint of malt and ceral breadiness near the finish.

D. Sort of boring but I could see how this would be refreshing after a long hot day outside. Not a beer for beer lovers.

bluemoonswoon, Aug 22, 2007
3.43/5  rDev +22.5%

Light bodied, pink lemonade color with a nice pink head.

Aroma of blackberries with honey.

Taste starts out sweet blackberries, finishes up tart. A beer drinkers wine cooler. Actually, not bad as a desert drink.

Went down well with strawberry shortcake. A little more tart than typical wine coolers, but along the same lines.

whynot44, May 10, 2005

LightnerLiquorKS, Oct 22, 2013

Gtg642, Dec 31, 2011
3.15/5  rDev +12.5%

Man did I over do it with this stuff at Summer Fest in 1990-something. It was the year it was released so it was pretty trendy. I guess we all have those stories to tell, so blah.... blah... blah... I picked up a sampler recently so I'm giving this a go.

Poured out of a 12oz can into my Ale Asylum pint glass.

A) It's a hazy pinkish color. I gave it a pretty aggressive pour, but there was still very little head.

S) I expected more when I stuck my nose into this brew. Initially there was just light fruity notes. I will say that as the beer warmed the fruity and floral fragrance was more predominant.

T) It reminded me a bit of cough syrup. You know, the kind you don't mind taking, but it's also not doing a damn thing for you.

M) I have no complaints here.

O) I'm not opposed to fruit beers. This just wouldn't be my first choice. I mean, give me a good framboise or a kriek any day of the week.

RoamingGnome, Jun 11, 2011
3.58/5  rDev +27.9%

I've always known about Leinenkugel's beers and I finally bought a sampler pack. I first tried the berry weiss and I was kind of shocked. There is a tremendous amount of berry flavor but blended quit well with the beer, and didn't drown out the beer flavor. There wasn't much carbonation but wasn't expected in a fruit beer. Overall I was very impressed and a very simple beer to drink year round I believe.

VaTechHopHead, Apr 09, 2008
2.25/5  rDev -19.6%

Westyn, Aug 05, 2014
3.48/5  rDev +24.3%

This is the last of the year-round beers offered currently by Leinenkugels that I have yet to review. Now as soon as I get around to reviewing the Oktoberfest I'll have reviewed all 11 seasonal and year-round.

Pours a cloudy grapefruit-juice color. The one finger white head has the slightest pink tint to it, but not as much as the box would lead you to believe. Head diminishes quickly, and leaves no lacing.

Smell is very strange. I haven't had many fruit beers, but honestly this smells more like a girly drink you would find at a bar, mixed with a little bit of beer. Don't get me wrong, you can definitely tell this is a beer, and not a fruit drink. It just smells like you mix 2 parts beer with 1 part berry lemonade.

The taste is much much more fruity than the aroma. My first sniff definitely didn't try to hide the fact that fruity tastes were to come, but I never thought it would be this strong! I can barely taste the beer! It honestly tastes like a mixed vodka or gin drink with smooth berry lemonade. Despite how bad I make it sound, it somehow pulls it together and works! I actually enjoy this, sort of. Don't get me wrong, I would never be able to drink a ton of these in one sitting, I get the feeling it would make me sick to my stomach. Maybe I'll give these to the girlfriend so maybe I can tear her away from her Mich Goldens.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly smooth. There is a decent amount of carbonation, but it's surprisingly not very crisp. Very smooth. Medium body, which surprised me, as I assumed it would be leaning towards lighter.

Definitely drinkable, but like I said earlier, I get the feeling that drinking many of these in one sitting would make me ill. Still though, taking down one of these is not a problem. Even if I feel like I'm drinking a girly drink, so what?

Mistofminn, Apr 05, 2009
2.03/5  rDev -27.5%

Pours pinkish/orange with small white head. Aroma of berrys, grapes, blueberry. Taste of blueberry , grapes, very fruity and sweet. Palate is light body, very bubbly carbonation. Reminds me of a wine cooler. Finish is very sweet. Did not like this beer.

Samp01, Nov 24, 2010
2.7/5  rDev -3.6%

P- Market Cross Pub in Carlisle

A- a peach mango color with lots of cloudiness. The fiance says i am gay for calling it mango. Oh well! Nice lacing on the glass and a quick running head. Tints of purple as well.

S- a sugary malted berry aroma. Very vinegar like and not overly appealing but not horrendous either.

T- very berry and highly carbonated. It is like a tropical berry punch. It seems too gassy for me.

M- carbonation, carbonation and oh yeah carbonation. highly sweet berry juice.

D- one of these was enough, i thought it might be good to try but i cant drink anymore of these. Nice to sample but not to buy a case or even a sixer.

Dodo2step, Dec 16, 2008

wattoclone, Sep 12, 2012

jharris0624, Nov 17, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -10.7%

ethanmc12, Jun 01, 2013
3.3/5  rDev +17.9%

pours a pink color with a one finger off white head that held well and some nice lacing on the glass. sweet smell of berrys in the nose. the taste of the berrys is ok but much to sweet, like drinking raspberry soda. mouthfeel and carbonation ok. as a desert one bottle would do, how about a berry float with a scoop ice cream?

billybob, Apr 09, 2008
2.28/5  rDev -18.6%

12 oz bottle acquired from Whole Foods in ATL at my girlfriend's request. Figured I would give it a shot. Poured into a pint.

A: Poured a strange, enchanting color. Has yellow and pink hues. Got a huge, bubbly pink head. Actually created some sticky lacing that was a bit of a shock. Not bad looking.

S: Uh, smells like sugar, berries, over ripe fruits, and candy.

T: Candied berries, very sweet with heavy sugar. Not tasting much of anything else

M: Very thing but still coats the mouth. Probably the sugar. Has a lot of carbonation.

D: Girlfriend loves it, not a fan myself. Way to sweet and too many artifical flavor masking any trace of beer. Blah.

everetends, Jun 13, 2008
1.73/5  rDev -38.2%

Pours a light purple-pink, with a light pink head that quickly dissipates. Smells like fruit juice from a box--the kind you had in your lunchbox as a kid. The taste is the same: shockingly un-beerlike fruit drink. There might be a tiny bit of wheat in there, but it's totally burried beneath a crushing nastyness of berry-punch Juicy Juice. Gave me horrible heatrburn,will never drink again if I can help it

WakeandBake, Dec 07, 2008
1.88/5  rDev -32.9%

Another one of my least favorite beer styles. This one was too berry and way too sweet tasting for me. It had a small white creamy head with fine sized bubbles. The body was cloudy with carbonation observed and the hue was berry. The nose was heavily berry and the taste was very sweet, tart, sour and tangy. The mouthfeel was tingly, smooth with a thin-watery texture and light bodied. There was a fair amount of lacing with this beer.

hotstuff, Oct 29, 2003