Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

poor

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 03-25-2002)
3.23/5  rDev +15.4%

The Berry Weiss beer is a good fruit/veggie beer. The berries obviously dominate the smell and taste. The color was nice with decent white head. The mouthfeel was nice a light great for summertime libations. Although to sweet for me and I would not drink alot of this stuff.

3.9/5  rDev +39.3%

Bought locally at Poplar Wine & Spirits.

It pours a clear reddsh amber with a 1 finger head of foam. There's some good lacing and the head retention is good.

The smell is big on the berries that kind of remind me of a Lindemans. I like fruit beers so the nose is impressive to me.

The taste is nice. Big flavour of raspberry and a good note of blackberry with some honey and overall, it's quite sweet but it suits my palate nicely.

Good medium to medium thick mouthfeel for the most part but it does border on syrupy near the finish.

This is a good fruit beer that, imo, doesn't have a whole lot of complexity going on but I don't look for that in every beer I try. It's simple, and it's good.

3.33/5  rDev +18.9%

12 oz bottle in a weizen glass. Produced on date of 09149.

A - Light, slightly cloudy red-ish orange with a persistent two finger head. Mediocre retention, decent lacing.

S - Blueberries and raspberries abound. A little wheat in the background but mainly a Kool-Aid smell.

T - Holy shit is that sweet. Sugary berry flavor concoction that's exactly like overly sugar -saturated Kool-Aid. Tiny, almost impossible to detect, wheat flavor on the finish.

M - Light and very crisp like soda. Sweet as hell.

D - Quintessential "give a non-beer drinking girl a beer" beer. When all I drank was Miller Lite, I loved this beer but honestly, I could have maybe one max now. This thing is so damn sweet it's outrageous. If I would rate this on my own personal taste, the score would be lower.

3.13/5  rDev +11.8%

A: Red color with orange around teh edges where the light hits. Pours a two finger foamy white head with fair retention. Decanted steadily. No lacing.

S: Strong scent of sweet blueberries and rasberries.

T: Very fruit-juicy; frnaly not minful of beer. There is a slight malty taste, but it gets lost quicly in sweet berries.

M: Light and thin. Ample carbonation brightens the sweetness.

D: More of a flavored alcohol beverage thatn a weis as the name implied. Drinkable as long as you can stomach the sweet taste - some have more tolerance of that others.

4.05/5  rDev +44.6%

Easily one of my favorite beers. Sometime you want a little flavored beer now and again.

A - Pretty average pinkish lemonade like color.
S - The berry smell is awesome in this beer. Almost too good.
T - Man what a treat of a beer! Berry delicious with just a hint of sour. Like a poor mans lambic.
M - Watery but full bodied.
D - I could easily slam a six pack without thinking twice. It really does have a "light beer" tone to it so you really don't notice its around 5 percent.

Overall I used to get this by the case but now I tend to try better things. Really a good beer and I would agree that if your in the mood for a fruit beer and don't want too much sour crack open a Leine!

12 ounce bottle, there's a date of SEP 26 11 printed on it, but I have no idea if that's the bottled on or best by date. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a pinkish/amber color with a half inch light pink head. The head goes away quickly, and there isn't much lacing. The brew smells like berry fruit juice/drinks and grain. For the most part it tastes like it smells, it tastes like a mix of fruit juice, grainy malt and berry flavored carbonated water. The flavor isn't quite as artificial tasting as I was expecting, so that's a plus. Mouthfeel/body is light, it's a little bit syrupy and is well carbonated. As far as fruit beers go, I'd have to say this is average all around. I've had better and I've had worse. I don't think I'd buy a 6 pack of this, but if someone gave me a bottle (a friend did give me this one) I wouldn't turn it down, either.

2.55/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Berry Weiss. I already don't like the sound of that, but who am I to turn down a free beer? Pours a weird, off-shade of copper with a strange reddish hue to it, almost pink, but not quite there. The head grows big and foamy, but it's about as wispy as they come as it's gone within a minute, no lacing gets left behind.

The aroma is a splash of berries and sweetness; raspberry, blackberry, and some other kind of berries I'm sure (not really getting much strawberry, though). It's pretty artificial and "fake" smelling, like the aroma you'd expect from a candle or some kind of wall plug-in air freshener. But actually even a bit worse than those, since this has a somewhat chalky and medicinal character to it. Like crushed vitamins or something.

The flavor doesn't stray too far from the aroma - it's an awkward concoction of artificial berry juice, residual sweetness, and remnants of beer. Almost more akin to a wine cooler or a flavored malt liquor beverage, if it weren't for the wheat and yeast coated that gets left on the palate in the aftertaste. The strange chalkiness from the nose comes back to haunt the flavor a bit, too. Pretty sweet overall - not necessarily cloying, but it's not a desirable sweetness, either. Body is thin with a crisp mouth feel from the heavy dose of carbonation.

Yeah, this really isn't my thing. Glad that I tried it just so I know to steer absolutely clear of it next time. It's like a poor man's version of The Soft Parade by Shorts. I'll pass on this one next time.

1.8/5  rDev -35.7%

12 oz bottle with a date of May 23 11. Sadly I bought it yesterday at Spec's, thanks for selling beer past it's pull date guys. Pours a hazed, reddish-copper color with a lavender tinted head. Retention is average and lacing is good.

Nose is very berry-oriented with more of a sweet lean than tart. Blackberry is most identifiable fruit and the wheat gets lost in the fruit-dominated aroma. More like a soda or alcopop than beer.

Waaay sweeter than I expected...leaves a syrupy, fruity residue on the lips. Beery aspects of this beverage are almost completely lost to artificial-tasting sweet fruit juice. I have a soft spot for fruit beers, but this is difficult for me to finish. I dont know if a fresher sample would help, but I cant help but think the sweet, artificial berry flavor would still be overwhelming. As much as I hate the malt beverage cliche 'panty-dropper', that is what came to mind right off the bat for this atrocity.

2.63/5  rDev -6.1%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours an a pinkish amber color with a pretty nice off-white head that has good lacing and retention qualities . The aroma is very sweet and slightly tart and filled with blackberries, raspberries and other different wildberry smells. The taste like the aroma is almost overwhelmingly sweet with berry flavors and just a touch of wheat flavor under all the sweetness. Overall, this is not a horrible beer, but it is way too sweet for my palate. It almost tastes like a couple of sugar packets were dumped into this beer before consumption. It is one and done for me, thankfully I just bought a single bottle.

3.8/5  rDev +35.7%

A: poured a pinkish purple into my tulip with a finger of head tha had hardly any lacing on the glass.

S: intense berry aromas that almost make the beer smell like fruit punch. Very little malt character without any hop presence.

T: a very crisp berry kick that reminds me of a blonde style brewed beer with the fruit added. I kinda gotta a slight wheat flavor after a couple sips too.

M: meduim bodied with good bubbly carbonation to add the overall fruit backbone.

D: probably would only drink one due to the sweetness of the beer but a good offering from leinenkugel. Sunset wheat is still my favorite from them.

3.2/5  rDev +14.3%

Color is orangy lightish yellow, trying to be red, but thinning, fluffy loose head thats light greyish pink, fades and fizzes away pretty fast, leaves soapy, drippy lace. Smell is light of strawberry and raspberry with a wheaty touch and sharp tint of clean floral hops noted underneath. Taste is a weaker version of any decent fruit beer, light, crisp, lightly flavored of raspberry and strawbeery I guess, its hard to determine cuz its a little much and unmixed, very juice like but watered down quite a bit. Feel is lightly creamy but watery and a thin finish. Its a fine summer drink, but more then one of these and it could get tiresome. Give me a good hefe instead.

3.53/5  rDev +26.1%

Aroma is full and strongly of raspberry - and I love raspberry. It pours a curious pinkish amber, unusual but not unappetizing. Flavor is mainly fruity, more like a cider than a beer, but crisp and tasty - the raspberry dominates the malt. If you love raspberry, this beer should wet your whistle.

3.18/5  rDev +13.6%

To quote the hip lads these days..."It is what it is"...Iwhat it is NOT is a Weiss...tastes more like a wine cooler to me than a beer...big strawberry flavor...label says blackberries and I get a little of that too....very sweet...mouthfeel is spritzy like when I mix 7up with orange juice..

I think this is categorized correctly as a fruit vegetable beer...it is bold and overdone with the berries...nothing subtle about this....drinkability is average at best because of the sweetness....mixed with Honey weiss it is much better....if they tweaked the recipe it might be better...a good one for your girlfriend who doesn't like beer....not the worst thing ever made but not one I drink unless the wife buys her six-pack of it for the year and let's bottles sit around in the fridge for too long..

1.5/5  rDev -46.4%

2.93/5  rDev +4.6%

This one is a cloudy reddish-brown with an odd pinkish tint. A whitish head sits pretty thick for a little while at about two fingers and retains pretty well, leaving a little thin lacing around.
The aroma is...well, fruits. It's a bit artificial with a saccharine sweetness. A very light grains presence is barely detectable, but there's no malt or hops presence noted.
Fruits are all over the flavor as well, with a sugary sweetness and, again, lingering grains. Malts remain undetectable, though a light hops presence sits underneath.
The body is on the light side of medium and there's a crisp bite to it.
It's better than the mess I imagine a totally macro effort at a fruit beer would be, but average as it is.

2.7/5  rDev -3.6%

12oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint. No bottled date.

(A)- Pours a hazy yet pale red color with a white to gray head that dissipated immediately.

(S)- Smells seriously fruity! Raspberry, Strawberry, cherry, and blueberrry. Has a sugary sweetness behind it.

(T)- The massive fruits from the smell become really subdued in the taste. They are there, but are hidden behind a corn husk and strong sugary sweetness.

(M)- Kinda lackluster in all categories besides smell. Even the carbonation could be better.

(D)- A fun beer to have around for parties for people who dont like beer but will drink this :/ But nothing really great in my opinion. Reminds me of a wine cooler. I would much rather have something else than this anyways.

1.75/5  rDev -37.5%