Big Eddy Imperial IPA - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

good

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BeerBelcher on 03-12-2007)

Amp, Jul 18, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

Nice clear brassy copper hue with a two fingers sticky white head. Resinous grapefruit nose. Faint notes of pine and citrus. Some tropical fruit as well.

An interesting IPA. Silky and creamy mouthfeel. On the heavier side of medium bodied. Light effervescence. Lots of sweetness to this beer. Lots of caramel, sweet malted grain, burnt sugar, taffy and toffee. European hop presence however it's very subtle and subdued. Mild bitterness with some lingering sweetness. Herbal spicy hop finish.

Not your standard double IPA but it is very unique. More malt then there probably should be but for some reason i'm really enjoying this beer. Might be the timing since I havn't been drinking a ton of hoppy stuff this summer so the mild bitterness is nice.

jtierney89, Jul 18, 2012

optimator705, Jul 13, 2012

HoistinBrews, Jul 13, 2012

mscott1975, Jul 12, 2012
4.05/5  rDev +9.2%

Picked up a single of this IIPA recently off of a nice, clean shelf. Loved the RIS when it first came out a while back, so happy to give this one a shot. Cut my teeth on Leine's a long, long, long time ago when it was the only drinkable beer at First Avenue, our regular haunt. 12 oz. bottle with a "Dec1212" date on it. I'll assume that's a "May1212" born on date...one point for dating, minus three-quarters for lack of clarify.

Pour is that lovely burnished copper that usually precedes a good hop-bomb, for some reason. Nose is heavy on the malts, with a good resinous quality to it, but the only hop flavor is floral, & not much at that.

Big Eddy IIPA dances along the dangerous edge of balance: good hops on one side, a sad precipice of too much malts on the other. First impression is of heavy caramel malting, but they're kicked aside by a rush of hops - nice bitterness, heavy oils, with appearances of tropical fruit & earthiness. Resin trumps all in the end, sticking with me until I go brush my teeth. It's that coating quality in the mouth that is the high note here, & leads to sipping more quickly than normal.

Very good? Excellent? So close. It's the caramel malts, done with a deft hand, that tip this one into the excellent category. Nice entry into the IIPA category - keep on bringing it, Leine's.

maximum12, Jul 12, 2012

MrJolly, Jul 12, 2012

AmandaSchaefer, Jul 11, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -39.4%

I did a double take when I saw this. Best by 09 Nov 2012, 8.2% ABV. $2.99 single from the Village Pump.

A clear copper with a dense, cream-colored head with good retention and nice lacing, this looks pretty good! The darker than expected color warns me that this might be a bit of a malt bomb, and that's what I find. A big crystal malt nose with astringent caramel, moderately stale in some ways, is the most noticeable aspect. In fact, it covers up the hops to a big extent! I get some pine, some citrus, and a mild vegetal character.

The palate opens quite sweet with a blend of moderate hop bitterness and a crystal malt astringency. For a beer that was hopped 5 times, this tastes very disappointing. There's moderate pine flavor, grapefruit and some tropical fruit as well. However, the sweetness is way too high for my palate, and it overpowers (rather than complements) the moderate hop bitterness, and the hop flavor just isn't strong enough. Sweet, mildly astringent on the finish, this beer is medium in body, carbonated to a moderate level. While I do like the occasional sweeter DIPA, this is disappointing as it lacks balance of any sort. I feel like I'm being harsh with my scores here, but I cringe with every sip here.

DefenCorps, Jul 10, 2012

IdrinkGas, Jul 10, 2012
3.83/5  rDev +3.2%

I never know what I am going to get with the Big Eddy series from Leinies as they been hit and miss. This offering was surprisingly enjoyable although I don't know if I would buy it again since there are so many IPAs out there that I like.

The color was orangish with a small amount of head. There wasn't much carbonation and I can't decide if the mouthfeel was smooth or watery. (maybe a little bit of both) It smelled like your typical IPA with scents citrus fruits, pine and floral notes. The taste was similar to the smell and it was very balanced. It didnt knock me over the head with hops like some of my favorites do and the taste was mostly citrus and not as complex as I would like. It also had a bit of a watery aftertaste; maybe to be expected from what I consider to be a macrobrewery. So again, decent but not something I will stock up on.

mjpolzin, Jul 10, 2012

iKON, Jul 09, 2012

Bockerdoppel91, Jul 08, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

nrs207, Jul 08, 2012

Shnanign, Jul 07, 2012

dsuedbeck, Jul 05, 2012
4.4/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Burnt orange color....nice white lace on the glass..

S-Aroma of sweet, sticky fruits...sugars...a light floral dimension..

T-A real nice tropical fruitiness to this....mangos, papaya, pineapple...along with peaches and nectarines...

M- I'd call it full bodied but not immense...a nice drinker...Biit of a syrupy texture but ABV is only 8.2%...still a little sticky on the finish from the sweet fruitiness...finally some drying bitterness enters but only on the long fade.

O-Wow! What fantastic DIPA....they use some of my favorite hops and I guess I should not be surprised with the outcome....Warrior..check.... Cascade...check... Simcoe...check....Amarillo...check... Citra...check....Might be my five favorite hops or close to it...4 pack for about $10...decent price and hell of a beer...I will buy more....would love to blind taste this with the big hitters...thinking it is slightly off the mark with the heavies but who knows?

ZAP, Jul 04, 2012