Big Eddy Imperial IPA - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Wisconsin, United States

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerBelcher on 03-12-2007

2.29/5  rDev -38.3%

I did a double take when I saw this. Best by 09 Nov 2012, 8.2% ABV. $2.99 single from the Village Pump.

A clear copper with a dense, cream-colored head with good retention and nice lacing, this looks pretty good! The darker than expected color warns me that this might be a bit of a malt bomb, and that's what I find. A big crystal malt nose with astringent caramel, moderately stale in some ways, is the most noticeable aspect. In fact, it covers up the hops to a big extent! I get some pine, some citrus, and a mild vegetal character.

The palate opens quite sweet with a blend of moderate hop bitterness and a crystal malt astringency. For a beer that was hopped 5 times, this tastes very disappointing. There's moderate pine flavor, grapefruit and some tropical fruit as well. However, the sweetness is way too high for my palate, and it overpowers (rather than complements) the moderate hop bitterness, and the hop flavor just isn't strong enough. Sweet, mildly astringent on the finish, this beer is medium in body, carbonated to a moderate level. While I do like the occasional sweeter DIPA, this is disappointing as it lacks balance of any sort. I feel like I'm being harsh with my scores here, but I cringe with every sip here.

3.8/5  rDev +2.4%

I never know what I am going to get with the Big Eddy series from Leinies as they been hit and miss. This offering was surprisingly enjoyable although I don't know if I would buy it again since there are so many IPAs out there that I like.

The color was orangish with a small amount of head. There wasn't much carbonation and I can't decide if the mouthfeel was smooth or watery. (maybe a little bit of both) It smelled like your typical IPA with scents citrus fruits, pine and floral notes. The taste was similar to the smell and it was very balanced. It didnt knock me over the head with hops like some of my favorites do and the taste was mostly citrus and not as complex as I would like. It also had a bit of a watery aftertaste; maybe to be expected from what I consider to be a macrobrewery. So again, decent but not something I will stock up on.

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%

4.38/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Burnt orange color....nice white lace on the glass..

S-Aroma of sweet, sticky fruits...sugars...a light floral dimension..

T-A real nice tropical fruitiness to this....mangos, papaya, pineapple...along with peaches and nectarines...

M- I'd call it full bodied but not immense...a nice drinker...Biit of a syrupy texture but ABV is only 8.2%...still a little sticky on the finish from the sweet fruitiness...finally some drying bitterness enters but only on the long fade.

O-Wow! What fantastic DIPA....they use some of my favorite hops and I guess I should not be surprised with the outcome....Warrior..check.... Cascade...check... Simcoe...check....Amarillo...check... Citra...check....Might be my five favorite hops or close to it...4 pack for about $10...decent price and hell of a beer...I will buy more....would love to blind taste this with the big hitters...thinking it is slightly off the mark with the heavies but who knows?

4.25/5  rDev +14.6%

3.88/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Pours a brilliantly clear reddish copper color with a persistent one inch cream head that leaves little lacing.

Aroma is dominated by grapefruit, orange, and pine. There's a substantial caramel malt breadiness at the finish, accompanied by floral hops.

Floral hops begin the flavor profile, preceding a big, bready, almost cloyingly sweet caramel malt backbone, which carries the flavor into a big grapefruit punch that ends slightly bitter and peppery and piney. Alcohol is present, and slightly overwhelming. Grassy, catty, oniony flavors develop as it warms.

Body is thick, syrupy, with fairly low carbonation and significant alcohol warmth. There's a bit of hop astringency.

Overall, a somewhat balanced (to the extreme) dipa. I might prefer a little less sweetness, but definitely a good effort.

4.35/5  rDev +17.3%

I was skeptical when I thought about trying the Big Eddy Imperial IPA, as Leinenkugel has let me down so many times. This, however, was not the typical experience I usually have with a new Leinie. This Imperial IPA is packed with hops but does not let the smoothness hide beneath the bite. Very well-balanced flavor complement a great aroma and a head I usually only see with darker ales. Nice work Leinenkugal.

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

Clear orange-amber, nice lacing.

Big pine and grapefruit blast in the nose.

Malty and sweet, then orange peel, grapefruit, lemon, pine, and a touch of alcohol in the finish. Nice balance - a hop bite, but it's not palate-obliterating.

Mouthfeel smooth, fairly bubbly.

This disappeared quickly. The Big Eddy series is like a completely different brewery, their Imperial Stout was also surprisingly delicious. Lenie's needs to unleash this power and keep making this series because these are the types of beers they can be proud of. Are you listening?

3.8/5  rDev +2.4%

A: Clear dark copper in color. Forms a moderate sized, creamy off-white colored head. Leaves some good lacing on the way down.

S: Strong blend of caramel malts and citrus hops, with notes of orange, orange juice, and pine.

T: Starts off incredibly sweet and malty and, while this one has a good dose of hops to it, the hop choice only goes to accentuate the malty sweetness. Strong orange and orange rind quality then becomes somewhat spicy with a bit of alcohol on the finish.

M: On the heavier side of medium with medium carbonation, a moderate bitterness, and a slightly oily feel to it.

O: While I can appreciate the heavy hand on the hops, the heavy malts cause this one to be too sweet for my liking.

Poured from 12oz bottle into Tulip.

A. Poured 2 finger head. Good lacing. Good retention. Color is bright bold orange. Good looking DIPA.

S. Pretty dank hop smell. Piney and herbal. Some alcohol aroma comes out. A bit of caramel malt lies beneath quite a bit of hops. Almost a hop oil smell.

T. Big hop flavor on the tongue as well. Not the freshest hop taste, but the bitterness is definitely there. Pretty oily hop flavor.

M. Medium/full bodied. Medium carbonation. LIngering bitterness.

O. Enjoyed this more the first time then the second. Seemed a little harsher the second time around. The hop presence seemed more concentrated and less fresh if that makes any sense. This is a bit less polished and refined then some of the best DIPA's.

4.25/5  rDev +14.6%

4.2/5  rDev +13.2%

12oz bottle from Total Wine (Kennesaw, GA). 11.49/ 4pk. 2012 release, best by 11/19/12 (I think bottled 5/19/12). Served in a Southern Tier snifter.

Pours copper orange with 1.5 yellowish pale head. Laces nicely.

Smells hoppy: citrus, pine, sweet biscuits.

Tastes like an imperial IPA should. Orange, pine, floral, sweet biscuits, grassy and a hint of booze. The alcohol is well hidden.

Medium full feel with nice edge of carbonation. Long bittersweet floral aftertaste.

A nice smooth balanced IPA. I've been pretty happy with the Big Eddy series so far. Glad I took a chance on a 4 pack.

4.32/5  rDev +16.4%

Leinenkugel's Big Eddy Imperial IPA, 2012. Five distinctive hops are added to every stage of the brewing process for our take on an Imperial IPA. 9% ALC./VOL.

Clear and luminescent, cast in glowing amber, edging on crimson, under a tight, but firm and lasting creamy, off-white head. Looks great.

Bright and bountiful aromatics, ripe fruit, assertive bitterness, but not raw or unbridled. Orange and lime, under apple and caramel.

Taste: bitter spank of hops begins right at first sip, slaps the palate up, and slinks down the throat. Juicy malt profile, plenty of ballast and balance, while the hops shine through. Would be very interested to know which hops are involved in this, but I'm they indeed are distinctive. And delicious. And just bitter enough.

Big Eddy Imperial IPA is a class act. Not too anything, not overblown in any direction, with the high alcohol revealing itself at last, but remaining a minor fact in the enjoyment of this ale. The fierce hop action at the top relents some, mellows out a little, but never truly fades. A hint of sweetness is revealed in the middle, quickly overturned by more bitterness.

A continual treat. I'll be stocking up on this one.

3.9/5  rDev +5.1%

Bottle Neck reads
Nov1212
B21010707

A= Pours a deep amber copperish color with a good finger of thick head that leaves some decent lacing on the side of the glass.

S= Smells pretty nice. I am not a big fan of Lineys but I have enjoyed their Big Eddy series. This is a nice hoppy punch. Peppery and spicy. It actually smells a lot like pepper or a well peppered chicken breast.

T= The taste is nice peppery and green. I like the fresh taste to it. Loads of hop spice and punch. The malt backbone is minimal but enough to hold it up.

M= A little too high on the carbonation.

O= Another impressive beer from Liney's. I have been very impressed with this series. I was too young to try it the first time around. This time I haven't missed it and it has been good. Try this beer and enjoy it while it's around.

Big Eddy Imperial IPA from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company