1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Leinenkugel's Summer ShandyLeinenkugel's Summer Shandy

Ratings: 2059

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)
View: Beers (34) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,059 | Reviews: 519 | Show All Ratings:
billybeerlvr

Wisconsin

4.4/5  rDev +40.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a light head, amber colored - aroma has a definite lemon smell.

Undertones of the wheat base but a crisp lemon after-taste. Not over-powering; doesn't linger long. Not too fruity as some of these beers can be. Leinies got this one right. Best served ice-cold.

02-23-2014 07:16:37 | More by billybeerlvr
Ozzylizard

3.48/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle dated NOV1113 at cellar temp into goblet
Aroma lemony
Head average (3 cm), white, creamy, fully diminishing
Body bright yellow, cloudy
Flavor has lemon overtones, no malt, no diacetyl, ends quickly
Body is light, watery, carbonation lively.

Maybe colder or fresher (gift from someone who doesn't know beer) would have helped, but still not a bad beer. I think I like the orange variety better.

01-08-2014 12:19:57 | More by Ozzylizard
Waddles22

4.4/5  rDev +40.6%

This is a novices beer review: Its currently my perfect summer boat beer. Light and refreshing, and whats better than lemonade on a hot day? How about a lemonade beer?

I am sure as I get more into tasting and knowing the complexities of beer I will look back and laugh.

01-08-2014 01:11:15 | More by Waddles22
Jadjunk

Georgia

3.41/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy is brewed in the style of a Shandy beer, roughly half lemonade, half ale, traditionally a shandy uses mild British ales, whereas the German equivalent is a Radler. While there is no label information, this beer is arguably one of Leinenkugel's biggest recent successes, creating several spin-off shandy flavor options (and likely even more to come). Available as a Summer release seasonal in bottles, cans and on draft.

Poured into a Leinenkugel's Pint glass. Served at 52º Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a crisp frothy clean cream white head over a very hazy and murky pale yellow body. Head retention is slightly above average- a fair bit better than average for Leinenkugel. Lacing is medium-light and patchy. Carbonation is busy and plentiful through the heavy haze. I can see where it comes closest to a Weissbier by appearance but still doesn't quite match the visual grandeur of purely wheat-based ales. 3.75

(Smell) There's no doubting lemonade comes into serious play in this drink, although it's more of a sweeter country-style lemonade, not the tart, sunny and light heavy drinking lemonade you can make from scratch. I did not find the lemon aroma harsh enough to compare to Lysol or Pledge, but I can understand the resemblance. It doesn't balance out fantastically in the aroma, a mild malty base is thoroughly overshadowed, and any hop bitterness or body is tough to find. Very much a hybrid drink of a beer- any subtleties of a weissbier are far overshadowed by the lemonade, and the end result isn't far from smelling of a Mike's Hard Lemonade or your choice lemon-based wine cooler. 3

(Taste) Mild pale wheat malt background with a substantial amount of light, tart lemonade character. Like the aroma suggested, the drink is only half a beer at the very most, and the wheat base is overshadowed, although quite easier to discern than in the aroma. The balance isn't ideal, but the style wouldn't suggest any higher expectations. If you can't decide between a lemonade and a wheat beer, but like lemonade ever-so-slightly more, this may be a fair option. Although this is my only Shandy review to date, I really can't knock it much as it is quite drinkable and enjoyable for what it is. 3.5

(Mouthfeel) Light malt, moderately acidic lemon juice and a slick, soft body. Carbonation does add some zest to the tongue. The body is medium for the style, light/medium overall. Alcohol presence is very low, concealed well by the lemons and the acidity. Overall it's a bit light on the body and texture for the weissbier crowd but lemonade isn't usually carbonated and does quite fine this time around, so I suppose it's a fair balance. 3.5

(Overall) I'd prefer a weiss bier that's wheat-malt forward with lemon subtleties any day over a Lemon Shandy, but I'm not too likely to overly criticize this for what it is. If you've never dabbled in the style before it might be worth seeking out but otherwise know that this is a fairly average choice amongst Shandy beer, and doesn't stand out in the craft beer crowd regardless of the style. 3.5

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company's
Summer Shandy
3.41/5.00

11-23-2013 01:21:42 | More by Jadjunk
barnzy78

2.49/5  rDev -20.4%

A - pale, cloudy yellow body topped with a creamy white head, decent retention, no lacing
S - lemonade, wheat, yeast, biscuit
T - sweet and tart, artificial lemonade, wheat, biscuit, yeast
M - thin and watery, high carbonation, refreshing finish brings you back for more on a hot day
O - I'm not crazy over this by any means, but it does serve its purpose on a hot day. I'll drink it if it's around but I wouldn't buy it unless someone was requesting it.

11-02-2013 17:57:41 | More by barnzy78
alphagnome

Iowa

2.84/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Appearance:
It appears to be... lemonade! A bright yellow hue is applied to an opaque body with a thin, white head. Retention is horrible. No lacing. Plenty of carbonation.

Aroma:
An almost overwhelming amount of lemon. I get a heaping helping of fresh and artificial lemon... and that's it. Nothing else.

Taste:
Honestly, it's not good... BUT it's refreshing! There is nothing here to tell me "hey, I'm a beer!" It would be better served as a Smirnoff Ice product. Kool-aid comes to mind.

Mouthfeel:
Incredibly light, crisp and refreshing! Lots of carbonation and a nice sweetness that is not overpowering. Easy to drink.

Overall:
I have a hard time calling this a beer as there is nothing here that resembles a beer, or at least what I consider beer. That said, I enjoy it... A bit of a guilty pleasure if you will. Easy to drink and thirst-quenching. Definitely a good beverage for a hot, summer day.

10-03-2013 02:54:01 | More by alphagnome
Brezzy24

3.98/5  rDev +27.2%

This is a great crisp light body summer Ale. Cool refreshing Lemony beer to enjoy at the end of a summer day. This is my go to beer great cook outs and camping. It pours with a nice head and great carbonation. This beer makes it really feel like summer is here.

09-22-2013 21:06:21 | More by Brezzy24
elNopalero

3.24/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a kool-aide yellow color.

This smells like lemonade.

Tastes like… lemonade.

Sharp, crisp and refreshingly so. But the lemonade sweetness dominates whatever beer was in this. Still… Say what you will. Y

es, I know it’s from the majors, and it’s a shandy. But it was tasty and I didn’t feel dirty after drinking it and liking it, the way I thought I would have.

09-12-2013 19:23:30 | More by elNopalero
Zorro

2.9/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Cloudy yellow colored beer with a tall white colored head. Looks like wheat beer mixed with lemonade which is pretty much what this is.

Smells strongly of lemonade and less strongly roasted grain and faint herbal hop. Soda cracker malt scent.

Starts out mildly sweet with mainly a lemon flavor and a toasted whet after taste. Tastes like lemonade and beer. Needless to say not really a traditional beer.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall an inoffensive drink. Guess it works as a thirst quencher.

08-31-2013 23:46:51 | More by Zorro
Tenzin

Nebraska

1.7/5  rDev -45.7%

Although there us a little maltiness detectable in this product, the predominant taste is much like cheap lemonade manufactured with reconstituted lemon juice. The alcohol content is so low, you can get much tastier summer refreshment by drinking good lemonade and adding alcohol of your choice. Dion't waste your money on this product.

08-31-2013 22:34:27 | More by Tenzin
Alextricity

2.88/5  rDev -8%

Had straight from the can at suite in Comerica..

My sister told me before opening it up that it really just smells like lemonade, and that's basically right. There's definitely some adjuncty sorts of aromas in the background, but there's a distinct lemon smell. It's alright. I don't like to really smell adjunct lagers, but the lemonade makes this fairly pleasing.

Taste/feel: First sip was almost all lemonade again. As I continued to drink it, the cheap-taste bursted through. I have no idea if there even ARE adjuncts in this beer, but it smells and tastes like it to me. This beer's unoffensive, and would be easy to drink a few of. I wouldn't so much want to just sip on this at a bar or at home, but this worked at a Tiger game, and would no doubt be satisfying after a hot, sweaty day outside.

This is about what I expected from this beer. It's decent, but there's nothing special about it... there's a time and place for Summer Shandy.

08-30-2013 15:23:31 | More by Alextricity
dowen17

Alabama

2.58/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy yellow. Looks like a cough drop. Half finger head. No retention.

This beer smells like a fart to me. A little bit of lemon and grass. Like you shoved a lemon up your ass and shit it back out.

Taste is not much better. Artificial lemon. Grass. Rotten grain. Very poor beer.

Mouthfeel is okay. Watery. High carbonation. Meh.

This beer is pretty gross. Wouldn't seek out.

08-29-2013 00:52:30 | More by dowen17
Bierwolf

Missouri

3.38/5  rDev +8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

12 ounce bottle poured into a shaker style glass.

Appearance: Very cloudy, hazy dull yellow. So cloudy you can not see through it. White foam with a disappearing head however leaving nice lacing all the way down.

Aroma: Vanilla, lemon, lime and citrusy.

Taste: Citrusy. With me it was mostly lime on top with lemon in the background.

Palate: Smooth, creamy and medium bodied. Has a nice lingering sweet bite.

Over all: I am not a fan of these fruity summer beers. To be fair I had a 6 pack of these over a few days to give a review. The first one to me was horrible. The next not so bad. After finishing the pack this is really a refreshing summer drink. If you are looking for something with bold hops or really malty do not expect that with this beer. But it is definitely worth a try and you will enjoy it on a hot summer day.

08-27-2013 23:34:24 | More by Bierwolf
Celtics17

3.29/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Would I buy this beer normally? Probably not, but I usually pick up "Mystery Boxes" of beer. The price is right @ 16.95 for a case of 24 beers at Bevmo. This beer happened to be in the box, and it wasn't bad. It's drinkable, because it's heavy with lemonade. This is a beer for the ladies, easy to drink.

It tastes like candy, the artificial lemon tasted isn't there for me. It tasted more like lemonade. I do taste some wheat in this beer, but the lemon is dominant in this beer. I would pick this beer up in the summer on a hot day. Sometimes you can't judge a book by it's cover. This beer isn't like a Bud Light Lime, or something of that nature.

08-25-2013 07:44:22 | More by Celtics17
bradb717

4.2/5  rDev +34.2%

Ok first thing is first. I'm a slut for a good shandy, and I was already a little buzzed at a baseball game.
But I gotta tell ya, if you like lemony and beer this is a marriage that works.
Poured nicely with that rich golden lemon color.
The smell is fantastic, very summery.
Goes down smooth and finishes sweet. Overall a very good beer.
Unfortunate its not getting much love on this review page.

08-20-2013 18:21:11 | More by bradb717
spoony

Colorado

2.71/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

From a 355 ml bottle (best by November 4, 2013) into a mug.

A-A normal pour produces a milky, yellow brew with tan highlights. The brew has a thin white head to start, but it drops immediately to a collar.

S-The brew smells like Country Time lemonade mix, a mildly tart, fake-smelling lemon and sugar concoction. There is also a bit of wet wheat and spice, but not much else to suggest this is a beer.

T-The taste is also artificial lemon, with a bit of candy tartness/sweetness. There is a bit of cracker malt in here and some grain. Bleh.

M-The feel is thin with soda-pop like carbonation and very little substance.

O-I grabbed this beer as a sort-of palate cleanser before heading out for dinner. Oops. I suppose the palate cleansing was accomplished but at the cost of a few hundred calories that I didn't really enjoy. This brew is kinda ugly, fake smelling and tasting, and generally not very good. Buyer beware.

08-18-2013 19:39:18 | More by spoony
Mavigo

3.06/5  rDev -2.2%

Served in a pint.

A: Pours a cloudy, light, ricola lemon mint herb color with a 1/4 inch white head that dissipates fast leaving minimal lacing.

S: Smells of wheat, grains, grass, lemons predominate, smells kind of medicinal and like artificial sweeteners

T: Flavors are pretty faint, slightly lemonish, grains, grassy, meh

M: light body with lots of carbonation, lacking taste

O: Meh, this is alright. Good for sitting out in the hot sun like I am right now but you know, theres not much going on here, I can hardly taste any lemon. Great for berberques and all but I'd probably be better off making my own shandy's.

08-18-2013 15:32:23 | More by Mavigo
matthewlikesbeer

3.85/5  rDev +23%

Refreshing. Really easy to drink. Doesn't taste like beer, and doesn't taste like alcohol. Mostly a natural lemon drink with bubbles. Honestly I could drink an even more lemon-ey drink in higher ABV like this kind of style, but this tastes excellent and with no bitterness

08-13-2013 03:28:08 | More by matthewlikesbeer
jjamadorphd

3.89/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy was a refreshing and bold surprise. I had it indoors, but I think it would have truly and really hit the spot if I had had it outdoors on a hot night. Although cloudy to the eye, it is an appealing shade of yellow with some lacing. Not only can you distinctly taste the lemonade-like flavor to the beer, but you could smell it - which is a plus to me. It was a little too carbonated for my taste, but overall I really enjoyed it and will look for it again.

08-08-2013 03:38:48 | More by jjamadorphd
TeamMathis

West Virginia

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

Appearance: Cloudy, light orangish yellow.
Smell: Lemonade; Lemonheads.
Taste: Lemon, citrus.
Mouthfeel: Light carbonation.

Well, you could have handed me this in a can and I would have had no clue that it was a beer and not just a lemon citrus pop...which I'm sure is going to yield some rough ratings and reviews on here. However, to me, if it's a hot day, I'd take this in a heartbeat. It's very refreshing. I won't go out of my way to buy it, but if I can get it for cheap, count me in for a pack.

08-06-2013 03:11:01 | More by TeamMathis
57md

3.64/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a pale straw color with a finger of head that dissipated quickly. The lemon in the nose is quite potent. Light wheat flavor with the definite infusion of lemons. The finish is nicely dry but refreshing. This offering is perfect for a sweltering summer day.

An added plus is that it is union made by my brothers and sisters in the UAW.

08-05-2013 21:09:28 | More by 57md
Crmjr

2.83/5  rDev -9.6%

There is only one way to drink this. Buy a 6 pack and put in the back of your fridge. After spending that 95 degree day out doing yard work, make it the first thing you drink. The light lemony flavor goes down smooth and easy. It's so refreshing you may even want to have one more.

Then go back to your favorite beer for the rest of the day, saving the other Summer Shandys for the next heat wave.

As a beer I give a 2.5 rating. As lemonade I'll rate it a 2. Put them together it's a 4.5.
Just don't order it at your neighborhood bar - you will be disappointed. Unless that's where you go when your hot and sweaty.

07-31-2013 01:35:10 | More by Crmjr
JWearda

Iowa

3.26/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

S - Poured into a pint glass from the bottle.

A - Slightly cloudy, dark lemonade or golden color. One finger creamy, white head. Head disappeared pretty fast.

S - Lemon dominates the scent to a point where it really just smells like lemonade.

T - The general flavor is dominated by lemon but there is suggestions of malt. As the brew lingers on the taste buds, it finishes with a malted wheat flavor and the lemon fades away at the end. The malt reveals itself as I drink more but it isn't really exciting; I have to search for it.

M - Light body with slightly above average carbonation. Slight spritzy feel. Very refreshing and crisp finish.

O - Easy to drink on a warm summer day. Refreshing and a nice way to beat the heat, but it isn't enticing enough for me to want it more than the fact that it is a cool beverage. Perfect for when you finish mowing the lawn!

07-30-2013 14:27:18 | More by JWearda
Tr0janSlay3r

2.88/5  rDev -8%

Appearance- I actually really like the appearance. It is a very hazy brew that almost looks unfiltered (but it is). With an aggressive pour there is about a 1 finger head with very little retention. The color itself is a very pale yellow with a lot of haze to it.

Smell- Right off the initial nose, I of course get lime and lemon right away, but there is actually a decently strong vanilla aroma to it that I enjoy. With the second sniff, I get a faint malt mixed in with even more lime than before.

Taste- The initial taste is very mild with undertones of lime predominately. Immediately followed by almost a rancid malt after taste. If placed on the tip of the tongue the lemon does really pop out, with just a bit of that sweet smelling vanilla.

Mouthfeel- Incredibly watery and has a high drink-ability. I think this could definitely be a session beer for anyone because it is extremely thin and light.

Overall, Summer Shandy is decent. I would drink this as a lawn mower beer if someone gave me it. I would not ever buy it for myself mainly because that is not my go to brew. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a Shandy in the summer, but not to any serious craft beer fanatic.

07-28-2013 23:09:45 | More by Tr0janSlay3r
fingert

Oregon

4.15/5  rDev +32.6%

Had this on tap at Redamak's in New Buffalo Mi and it really cut through the amazing burger I had! The Summer Shandy has intense meyer lemon aromatics and taste, white flower florals, and a lightly crisp body. Extremely easy drinking with balanced juicy flavors.

07-27-2013 03:37:08 | More by fingert