Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 3,086 | Reviews: 612
Reviews by JordanHageman:
1.43/5  rDev -54.6%

Tried to figure out if I was drinking lemon pledge or carbonated lemonade with a strong alcohol feel.

3.97/5  rDev +26%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this beer for the first time this weekend. It was one of the most refreshing beers I've ever had. Not for the beer drinker who doesn't like a light, summery beer. I expected it to be lemony since it says on the bottle that it's "lemonade beer", and it definitely was. I couldn't taste much wheat, but there were very vague traces. I don't think Leinenkugel was going for a beer that should be sipped, and has many different tastes, and I don't think they had the beer aficionado in mind when brewing it. But they succeeded at what they were going for.

3.44/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Enjoy this beer on a hot summer eve. Also a good beer to cook with. Packers suck!!

3.1/5  rDev -1.6%

I don't like this one too much, it's a weird Weissbier with some sort of "lemonade" flavoring... the best thing about this beer is that is has alcohol.

2.63/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Have had many times in bottles, cans, and on tap as well. I don't very much care for the look of this beer - pale yellow, opaque color, very cloudy. But not cloudy in a "hefeweizen" kind of way. The appearance is very murky - not extremely inviting. Lemons are all over the nose of this beer, and that's pretty much all you can smell. The main problem I have with the taste is that Summer Shandy doesn't taste like a beer infused and brewed with lemons and fruits - it takes like a half beer, half lemonade mixture, which MIGHT have been what the fellas and Leinenkugel's were aiming for, but it has too much of a "lemonade" flavor to really keep me coming back. I will say, however, that this is a very refreshing beer and can actually be enjoyable on a hot summer day after doing yard work. The mouth feel is nothing special, very thin, large amount of carbonation.

Overall, a cheap beer which isn't going to win any awards, however it can prove to be very refreshing and thirst-quenching on those hot spring/summer days.

3.4/5  rDev +7.9%

This time I had it on tap with sushi.

Cloudy yellow color.

A little banana and wheat with lemony overtones, subtle overall.

Taste is also subtle, the good thing is that the lemonade flavor and wheat beer taste are balanced.

Finishes light and smooth with a slight acidic bite.

Pair with spicy food or a lawnmower and you'll be fine.

2.19/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Looks like grapefruit juice with a head. Color is murky yellow and pours with a decent white foamy head that quickly dissipates to a thin layer of bubbles and a white ring. Some very light lacing clings to the glass.

S: Lemonade. It comes through quite clearly. It mixes oddly with some light malts and some thing sharp and citrusy, perhaps hops. It's hard to tell through the lemons. Overall, it smells sort of 'fresh'.

T: Very first impression: Pledge furniture polish in a glass. Sharp and acidic, artificial and plastic. This just is not very impressive. The finish is just as bad with that "Pledge" taste lingering on forever.

M: I guess the flavors that are present do hold together well through the experience. Too bad it wasn't a better experience. Carbonation was about right - moderate and persistent.

D: This was really tough to get down. It's incredibly tough for me to pour something out but this was... tempting. I powered through it though and have to say that I wouldn't recommend this. To anyone.

3.32/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A pale, anemic-looking yellow color with a medium-sized white head. It had a citrus aroma, which seemed mainly lemon. Definite lemon taste, tiny bit sour. Fairly pleasant. I might have liked it more if I had been drinking it on a hot summer day, rather than the cold gray day that was present at the time.

3.2/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Looks close to what I expected from a lemonade-like beer: it's light and yellow, but I must say cloudier than I expected. Good carbonation made for a nice fizzy head on the pour, and a thin layer of foam remained even after settling. The cloudiness has me a little unsure of things, but it still looks refreshing.

Oddly, I smell more lemon rind than I do lemon juice. I don't know why that is or if there's really a brewmaster's explanation for that, but I figure you could fairly easily use old (even used) lemons (i.e. peels) to throw in the wort to get this effect. I'm bordering on the frontier of my actual beer knowledge, but I consider this smell appealing like a lemon...peel.

My initial reaction is to the carbonated, citric acid aspect of the taste. It tastes fizzy. And I do think the fizziness is two-fold: one part contents under pressure, and one part lemony zing. It's not like summer shandy is some sort of manly beer, so I'll say it: I can't help but wonder what kind of calorie intake I'm putting back here. I'm wondering how much sugar is in this lemony beer. How much sugar is in lemons? Though I'm far from the organic, chemical-dodging purist that's trendy these days, I might also detect an artifical sweetener like sorbitol or something. I say it's better-than-average simply because it's neat.

The mouthfeel is similar to every other aspect of the beverage in that it's nowhere near overwhelmingly good (or bad), but a lemony different. Throughout this review, I keep debating which side of average I should rate things. Since I don't like biting into lemons (and it's bad for your teeth), I'll side on the down side here.

Drinkability is probably subpar for a summer (sessionable) beer. It's light in terms of stomach substance but heavy on tongue, cheek, and overall mouth sensations. Though interesting and worthy of another sip, I'd pass on two consecutive just about every time.

3.6/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Presentation: Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: It has a very cloudy pale lemonade color with a fluffy white head that quickly fades to a thin minimal covering. Lacing is minimal as well and slowly slides down the sides of the glass.

Smell: The aroma has a heavy lemon concentrate scent with a hit of wheat malt.

Taste/Mouth feel: It has big lemonade flavor that's not to sweet and not to tart with just a hint at wheat malt flavor. The body is light with a smooth slick mouth feel and lively carbonation.

Notes: Overall it's a refreshing summery beer that is very drinkable although it leans more towards a Mike's Hard Lemonade malt beverage than beer.

2.99/5  rDev -5.1%

12 ounce bottle without freshness information.

Pours light, cloudy and lemony. Larger near white head slowly shrinks. Leaves decent tongues of thicker stickage.

Nose of lemon pledge (you know the cleaning product)

Lemon theme is bold and continuing. Lemon note is kinda artificial tasting and off putting.

Only time I could see enjoying this would be on a very hot day and if I was very thirsty. Definitely not something I will likely try again

3.18/5  rDev +1%

It is a hazy yellow gold. The head is a sticky white head that stays around for a long time with great lacing on the side of the glass.

The smell is citrus from the wheat beer and then has a strong lemonade scent. The two go well together.

The taste starts with a tartness of summertime lemonade and finishes with the full-flavored body of the wheat beer.

The lemonade and citrus go well together, but the lemonade was a little strong and distracted from the flavor of the wheat beer. A little overpowering.

3.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Appearance: cloudy, no head, bright yellow, medium carbonation

Smell:very lemony, wheat, and pepper

Taste: very lemony, wheat, and pepper

Mouthfeel: light, sweet, very carbonated

Drinkability:My own personal rank for this beer is higher--probably a B, but I do not think it meets the style guidelines well. I think this is great for a shandy, but not as a wheat ale. I would have several of these as a summer refresher, but maybe not the first thing I look for if I want a beer. The lemon is very strong.

Thanks to bu11zeye for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a hazy light yellow color with a white head The aroma is straight lemonade. The flavor is more of the same. Nothing but lemons and the slightest bit of grain or wheat. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.76/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on tap in a pint glass.

Appearance: Hazy amber color. White head, about a finger thick.

Smell: Grassy like a hefeweizen and lemon/citrus is strong.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Light to medium bodied and smooth. Wheat, grassy, lemons and some hops.

Overall: Decent summer brew. Goes nice on a hot day.

1.59/5  rDev -49.5%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into clear plastic cup.

Appearance: Opaque light yellow with almost no head.

Smell: Sweet lemonade, slight wheat malt.

Taste: Tastes like bad lemonade with some bad wheat beer thrown in.

Feel: High tingly carbonation, thin body. Does not feel like beer.

Drinkability: Wretched. Either give me a lemonade or give me a beer. Just not this.

2.26/5  rDev -28.3%

A-Cloudy appearance with a pale yellow color, white head with a little staying power

S-Lemonade flavor is dominant, hint of pale malt in there

T-Lemonade flavor, with a hint of a weiss beer in there at the end, maybe a hint of hop in the end-but probably just the carbonation.

M-Thin, light to medium carbonation. Smooth
and easy to drink.

D-Easy to drink these on a hot humid day like today.

O-Think Leine's could have done something better with this beer-seemingly took the cheap route by making a basic weiss beer-(Is it their base beer that they use to make honey weiss?) and adding some lemonade flavoring, too much in my opinion, and this was the result. Would be interesting to make this one with lemon juice or peel and see what could be done here. For a summer seasonal can see why this would appeal to many though-easy to drink and refreshing on a hot summer day.

2.63/5  rDev -16.5%

Light gold in color with intense haziness. Eggshell colored head covers part of the top of the beer. Intense aroma of lemon is all I get. The mouth is light and crisp. The flavor is dominated by the intense lemon flavor. That's rally all there is. Refreshing on a hot day. Would have enjoyed more if they had dialed back the lemon intensity.

12oz twist-off bottle at fridge temp poured into a pint glass. best before oct 29, 12.

pours out a very cloudy, very light straw yellow color with a nice big tight, pure white head. very good retention as well as some nice thick lacing. lots of carbonation bubbles rushing to the top as well.

the aroma is pretty much straight up lemons. a little one dimensional, but theres no second guessing and nothing really fake about it.

again, some nice authentic lemon citrus is all over this with some grains and maybe even a touch of wheat as well.

smooth, somewhat creamy, good amount of carbonation. mega refreshing! mega drinkable!

call me crazy, but this is a really solid summer beer. so chugable. overall, it is a bit one dimensional with the lemon and all, but il definatly be drinking more of this. great ABV as well.

2.95/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Appearance: Cloudy, pale yellow with a lot of bubbles. Big two finger white head with very good retention and lacing.

Smell: Big aroma of sweet and tart lemonade. Light hints of wheat and pale malts. Smells more like lemonade than a beer.

Taste: Tastes like it smells. Big taste of tart lemons throughout with a little wheat and very subtle hints of pale malts. Like a hard lemonade with hints of beer.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with a medium to high level of carbonation. Crisp.

Overall: This tastes ok but it's not something I would seek out again. As a lemonade it tastes pretty weak and as a beer its almost nonexistent.

1.9/5  rDev -39.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Tasted like pledge smells this beer is horrible

2.52/5  rDev -20%

Cloudy yellow pour, if it had lemon pulp in it, you might be thinking you gots lemonade up in here. Head disappears even though it was large, contributing to that thought.

Lemon aroma, slight yeast like aroma to it. That part was enjoyable.

Taste, is uh, weird. Lemon, but not the way I'm used to, usually its like lemon sour, or lemon citrus hop feel, but no, this is like, lemon candy almost. The beer isn't bitter, yet has lemon as its most defining characteristic. Just doesn't come across like beer, or a fruit beer even, like a hotty totty/boilermaker type of drink, something with lemon and beer in it, but not a 'lemon beer' per se. Anyways, I wouldn't recommend it to someone who likes beer.

3.52/5  rDev +11.7%

Cloudy yellow with small head.

Smells of lemon.

If you like Corona with lemon or lime you'll like this. It's refreshing and well balanced, tastes better than it smells.

My wife liked it a lot and it was on tap so I had some and it wasn't bad. Next time I'm laying on the beach, this might hit the spot.

2.95/5  rDev -6.3%

Hazed lemong glow golden with a bright white creamy head forming thick witha fizzy head, lacing is nice fine and scattered on the sides of my chalice. Aroma heavy with the lemonzest almost like a cleaning supply lemon, it's very zesty. Flavors clear out the nostrils with lemon zest and really hit heavy with the tartness definitely some biscuit/wheat malt characteristics but the lemon zest rolls a bit too hard I couldn't drink many of these even though I really like the can they're packaged in. Very carbonated light bodied mouthfeel that is a bit too much. Drinkability is weak, tasty brew a bit heavy on the lemon zest doesn't work out as a standby regular for me.

3.05/5  rDev -3.2%

12 oz bottle Yellow-gold color: the look of filtered lemonade in lager beer.
Decent head for style.

An obvious lemon aroma and flavor. Better balance in the taste where the malt is also evident. Good sour/sweet balance.

O: a good version of the style. Fuller body and a touch more flavorful than most other radlers I've had.

to view more.