Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)
Reviews by mereed2:
4.18/5  rDev +33.1%

4.2% Alcohol by Volume
Color of Head = #F1F9AD
Color of Body = #D7E465

I'm actually pretty excited about this beer. I have a feeling that it might be amazing. It also has a good chance of being complete and total shit, but such is life. It claims to be a "Weiss beer with lemonade," which I'll admit sounds pretty appealing to me, even in this ridiculously cold November Tennessee weather.

This beer smells delicious. Like Stewart's lemonade. The head is fairly thick, but it retreats fast. I actually really, really like this. The lemonade taste is pretty heavy, but you can still pick out the hints of wheaty malt. Pretty damn carbonated too. Gums are already tingling. Both my roommate and girlfriend actually liked this beer, and neither of them drink at all which really says something for the mild sweetness of this beer. It probably has something to do with the low alcohol content too. I was concerned before I opened this that it would taste like someone spilled some Mike's Hard Lemonade in a Natty Light and tried to pass off the result as a microbrew, but this combines the two very well. You know, I have seen a lot of fruit flavors added to wheat beer, some turning out well (Blueberry with Sweetwater Blue) and some not so well (Raspberry with Abita Purple Haze), but it has really surprised me that I rarely see any citrus fruits combined with beer. Particularly fruits like lemons and oranges, you know, the ones you actually PUT IN the beer when you get it in a bar. I actually keep smelling the empty glass the beer smells so damn good. When I burp, it's as though I ingested some lovely Lemon Pledge, which is much better than the normal beer burp smell. I should start capping off my nights of drinking with one of these like a breath mint.

This is a (very) surprisingly good beer that everyone you know will like, even those damn snobby, American Guinness stout drinkers. Plus, you don't get called names for drinking this when you really want a cheer beer. It even has a twist off cap! This beer definitely stands out. It kicks ass at the fruit combination thing that so many other beers fail at. This beer really changed my view on Leinenkugel as a brewery. Though I don't know if my dismissal of them was due to me actually having and disliking one of their beers, or if I just really hated their logo and fonts. And everything else about their design. The whole package looks like it could be found at a crappy gift shop at the Cherokee Indian Reserve. Even so, I will definitely be picking up a six pack of this beer whenever the weather starts to warm up a little bit.

mereed2, Nov 16, 2008

mojohawk21, Oct 07, 2012
2.63/5  rDev -16.2%

Have had many times in bottles, cans, and on tap as well. I don't very much care for the look of this beer - pale yellow, opaque color, very cloudy. But not cloudy in a "hefeweizen" kind of way. The appearance is very murky - not extremely inviting. Lemons are all over the nose of this beer, and that's pretty much all you can smell. The main problem I have with the taste is that Summer Shandy doesn't taste like a beer infused and brewed with lemons and fruits - it takes like a half beer, half lemonade mixture, which MIGHT have been what the fellas and Leinenkugel's were aiming for, but it has too much of a "lemonade" flavor to really keep me coming back. I will say, however, that this is a very refreshing beer and can actually be enjoyable on a hot summer day after doing yard work. The mouth feel is nothing special, very thin, large amount of carbonation.

Overall, a cheap beer which isn't going to win any awards, however it can prove to be very refreshing and thirst-quenching on those hot spring/summer days.

tectactoe, Sep 25, 2012
3.4/5  rDev +8.3%

This time I had it on tap with sushi.

Cloudy yellow color.

A little banana and wheat with lemony overtones, subtle overall.

Taste is also subtle, the good thing is that the lemonade flavor and wheat beer taste are balanced.

Finishes light and smooth with a slight acidic bite.

Pair with spicy food or a lawnmower and you'll be fine.

brownbeer, Aug 09, 2009

1.25/5  rDev -60.2%

Shakerman, May 15, 2012

dmheinz57, Nov 12, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +28.3%

I had this beer for the first time this weekend. It was one of the most refreshing beers I've ever had. Not for the beer drinker who doesn't like a light, summery beer. I expected it to be lemony since it says on the bottle that it's "lemonade beer", and it definitely was. I couldn't taste much wheat, but there were very vague traces. I don't think Leinenkugel was going for a beer that should be sipped, and has many different tastes, and I don't think they had the beer aficionado in mind when brewing it. But they succeeded at what they were going for.

Straz85, Apr 29, 2008
2.1/5  rDev -33.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Looks like grapefruit juice with a head. Color is murky yellow and pours with a decent white foamy head that quickly dissipates to a thin layer of bubbles and a white ring. Some very light lacing clings to the glass.

S: Lemonade. It comes through quite clearly. It mixes oddly with some light malts and some thing sharp and citrusy, perhaps hops. It's hard to tell through the lemons. Overall, it smells sort of 'fresh'.

T: Very first impression: Pledge furniture polish in a glass. Sharp and acidic, artificial and plastic. This just is not very impressive. The finish is just as bad with that "Pledge" taste lingering on forever.

M: I guess the flavors that are present do hold together well through the experience. Too bad it wasn't a better experience. Carbonation was about right - moderate and persistent.

D: This was really tough to get down. It's incredibly tough for me to pour something out but this was... tempting. I powered through it though and have to say that I wouldn't recommend this. To anyone.

SIRIUS2, May 29, 2008

stewie814, Jul 01, 2014

beaversfan12, Jun 18, 2014

daveshawley, Aug 16, 2012
3.35/5  rDev +6.7%

A pale, anemic-looking yellow color with a medium-sized white head. It had a citrus aroma, which seemed mainly lemon. Definite lemon taste, tiny bit sour. Fairly pleasant. I might have liked it more if I had been drinking it on a hot summer day, rather than the cold gray day that was present at the time.

lordofthewiens, Mar 26, 2008