Microbrew Invitational

Availability: Summer

Added by jj21 on 03-23-2007

Reviews: 619 | Ratings: 3,441
2.94/5  rDev -5.5%

This is difficult to rate as a beer, since it much more resembled a non-alcoholic mixture of Ginger-Ale and lemonade. Very pale in color, with little lacing or head and a hint of lemon in the nose. Taste was lemony soda pop.

Not sure who this beer would appeal to, as even the women at our table thought it tasted too cheesy. Before I drink this again, I'll have a straight lemonade or real beer, not this 'tweener.

2.94/5  rDev -5.5%

this is one of my wife's favorite beers, being the fact I have nothing else left to drink, I had to open it.
A- very pale yellow, maybe pale isnt the word to use. How about urine like?
S - Citrus is the only thing I can smell, lots of citrus
T - citrus rine, some sweetness, lots of citrus bitterness
M - easy to drink, if you like lemonade
O - this is one beer that is constantly in my fridge that I dont like to touch. Not to say its a bad beer, but it leaves me wanting to drink something with more flavor and bite.
good lawnmower beer, or beer to throw through a lawnmower.

2.93/5  rDev -5.8%

Had it at a Restaurant, enjoyed it, picked up a 6 pack. Pours a hazy, yellow. Almost looks like pear juice. Pretty nice head, maybe 2 inches, with decent retention and very little lacing. Smells predominantly of lemons, and a bit of malt and hops. Taste compliments the smell. Not bad, but definitely a summer beer. Not something I can drink all the time. Carbonation was off, and the taste was on the "watery" side. Someone said they should just call this "Bud Light with Lemon", but I think it's a bit better than Bud Light, but not by much. If you're outside working or having a BBQ on a hot day, this is the right beer.

2.93/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours a very cloudy yellow into my pint glass. Has a 1.5 finger head with white soda-like bubbles. Leaves a small amount of lace on the glass.

The smell is obviously lemon at first, but after a few sniffs, an astringent quality comes through, and it starts to smell more like a lemon scented cleanser. The taste is...not terrible, but certainly not great. It's almost like Budweiser with powered lemonade mix stirred in.

The mouthfeel is very acidic and carbonated from the moment it touches your tongue.

My review makes it sound worse than it probably is. Served ice cold on a hot day, it would probably hit the spot. Any other time, and I don't think I would have more than one.

2.93/5  rDev -5.8%

Im not doing a full category by category review of this. Heres the deal. Is it refreshing? hell yea. Is it sweet? hell yea. Is it closer to Mike's Hard than a beer? Yea kinda. But it is a refreshing drink for a hot day and is what it is which is a weird style of beer and not great at that.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle

A: Cloudy pale/dull yellow color. One finger head, zero lacing.
S: Smell of Adjunct with strong lemon
T: Lemonade with a bit of beer. Somewhat sweet, little to no hoppiness.
M: Thin/watery with a crisp finish.
D: One is very drinkable on a hot day but I would want too many more than one.

I dont dislike fruity beers in general, but this is pretty bad for me. More lemonade than beer.

2.92/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured a bottle fo this into a shaker glass.

A: Pours a hazy, straw-yellow body with a white head with some retention and minimal lacing.

S: A sweet, lemon smell with some metallic notes that were very subtle. Seemed a little bit like lemonade.

T: A watered-down, lemon drink taste with hints of lemon zest in the aftertaste. Overall, the beer was not that good tasting as the sweet lemon taste got to me later.

M: A pretty light a crisp mouthfeel that was refreshing and good for the style.

D: A pretty good mouthfeel for the style, but the taste could use a little work. The sweet lemons got to me later on and the matliness of the beer was way overpowered by the lemon taste.

Pint on tap

A - Cloudy, straw color. Finger of white foam, Decent retention. Carbonated

S - Smells of light lemons. Thats really about all I pick up.

T - Meh...follows the nose. Some lemon peel, very light malts. Lemon lingers on the tongue after the finish. Just not much there for me.

M - Very light bodied, highly carbonated. Watery thin.

O - The appearance surprised me. Wasn't expecting the cloudiness. Just not a fan. I'm not a fruit beer guy to being with and this one just confirms yet again why.

2.91/5  rDev -6.4%

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint

Bottle dated best by Sep 03 2013

Well I have to start by saying I was expecting a little more on this one, I live in Houston and I drink Live Oak Hefe on the reg and I always have it served with a lemon slice, so when I see this at the store say traditional Weisse with lemon I think it's something I could enjoy. Pours a cloudy lemonade color with a couple finger head that doesn't last, almost no lacing as the glass goes down. All lemon on the scent. More lemon on the taste than I would like for the style, I expected a Weisse with a lemon hint not a mixture of beer and lemonade. Overall, it's ok, I'm not going to pour it out or anything, but its defiantly not something I'm going to seek out again.

poured into pint glass

A- cloudy yellow. head quickly disappeared. lacing sticks to glass nicely.Little to no carbonation.

S- Sweet blend of wheat and fresh lemonade. However it kind of reminds me of a Bud Light Lime or some other low quality fruit infused beer.

T- Pretty tasty. Initial lemon pow followed by even more lemon. Aftertaste is surprisingly... lemon!

M- Very easy going down. No carbonation on tongue with nothing but lemon aftertaste left in mouth.

D- I find this beer to taste more like a "bitch drink"(excuse the language) however it is easy to drink and on a weekend like the 4th of July I might end up with several in my belly. I wouldn't rush out to the store to buy more though.

2.9/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured into a snifter (for reviewing purposes). White head, low retention. Lacing really not too exciting. Body is hazy, opalescent, pale yellow/white. Aroma includes lemons and maybe some pledge (tm). Taste is lemony and wispy but a little too artificial to be too enjoyable. This is maybe a great gateway beer for people that don't like beer.

2.9/5  rDev -6.8%

Look - very light straw color, cloudy, lemonaide-looking. Good foam, about two finger's worth. Good carbonation, but hard to see due to cloudiness.

Smell - definite lemon smell. More hoppy than malty, but not extremely hoppy.

Taste - very strong lemon taste. Tastes like it should have an entire lemon floating in it...I can't get too far past it in the taste to find anything else.

Mouthfeel - medium..somewhat light, somewhat creamy.

Drinkability - probably not the greatest beer, but in terms of repeat drinkability, with the lower abv and not-very-beer-like taste, you could come back to this type of beer a few times.

2.89/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Cloudy yellow colored beer with a tall white colored head. Looks like wheat beer mixed with lemonade which is pretty much what this is.

Smells strongly of lemonade and less strongly roasted grain and faint herbal hop. Soda cracker malt scent.

Starts out mildly sweet with mainly a lemon flavor and a toasted whet after taste. Tastes like lemonade and beer. Needless to say not really a traditional beer.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall an inoffensive drink. Guess it works as a thirst quencher.

2.89/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

The smell and taste are equally and strongly of lemons. It's a very sweet drink. The feel is light bodied and heavily carbonated. It looks and tastes a lot like store bought carbonated lemonade, like MinuteMaid. There is a light aftertaste of lemons. Overall, it's alright if you want a sweet, lemon beer.

2.88/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Appearance:
It appears to be... lemonade! A bright yellow hue is applied to an opaque body with a thin, white head. Retention is horrible. No lacing. Plenty of carbonation.

Aroma:
An almost overwhelming amount of lemon. I get a heaping helping of fresh and artificial lemon... and that's it. Nothing else.

Taste:
Honestly, it's not good... BUT it's refreshing! There is nothing here to tell me "hey, I'm a beer!" It would be better served as a Smirnoff Ice product. Kool-aid comes to mind.

Mouthfeel:
Incredibly light, crisp and refreshing! Lots of carbonation and a nice sweetness that is not overpowering. Easy to drink.

Overall:
I have a hard time calling this a beer as there is nothing here that resembles a beer, or at least what I consider beer. That said, I enjoy it... A bit of a guilty pleasure if you will. Easy to drink and thirst-quenching. Definitely a good beverage for a hot, summer day.

2.88/5  rDev -7.4%

The pale, cloudy appearance isn't too impressive up front for this summery lemonade-infused wheat beer. The initial citrus smell isn't bad, though, but what really counts is the taste, and here it just reminds me far too much of Pledge furniture polish. Something here seems fishy (and plastic), and I won't be picking these up anytime soon.

2.88/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy straw color with fat, chunky bone-white head.

Smells like lemonade, wheat, lime and carbonation. A mix of Mike's hard lemonade and a wit.

Hmmm, not really a beer, per say...I only taste wheat and lemonade, and not very much of it. Might be refreshing ice cold on a hot summer day or could serve as an outdoor brunch beer.

Had this at a buddy's house as a leftover. I was expecting worse, but still think I would pass on purchasing this one.

2.88/5  rDev -7.4%

my cousin wanted something new, so we got a 12 pack of this. it's alright. when i first tried it, it didn't do well for me and i ended up not drinking it. but the next day i wanted a buzz so i drank a few of these. it takes a while to get used to it.
the moment it hits your mouth it's like you're drinking water but it is quickly followed by a strange zap of lemon. it might be a bit too much lemon, in my opinion. after a while, though, like i said, it grows on you, but perhaps that is due to you drinking 4 of them and you think everything is great. i tried to find out the AC for it i believe it is around 4.5%.
if you don't want a strong beer but rather a crisp lemon taste with a little beer taste, get this. if not, i don't know.

2.87/5  rDev -7.7%

Appearance- I actually really like the appearance. It is a very hazy brew that almost looks unfiltered (but it is). With an aggressive pour there is about a 1 finger head with very little retention. The color itself is a very pale yellow with a lot of haze to it.

Smell- Right off the initial nose, I of course get lime and lemon right away, but there is actually a decently strong vanilla aroma to it that I enjoy. With the second sniff, I get a faint malt mixed in with even more lime than before.

Taste- The initial taste is very mild with undertones of lime predominately. Immediately followed by almost a rancid malt after taste. If placed on the tip of the tongue the lemon does really pop out, with just a bit of that sweet smelling vanilla.

Mouthfeel- Incredibly watery and has a high drink-ability. I think this could definitely be a session beer for anyone because it is extremely thin and light.

Overall, Summer Shandy is decent. I would drink this as a lawn mower beer if someone gave me it. I would not ever buy it for myself mainly because that is not my go to brew. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a Shandy in the summer, but not to any serious craft beer fanatic.

2.87/5  rDev -7.7%

I picked up a batch of this today at the grocery store as it seemed to look like a good summer brew. As it turns out, it's not a bad beer, but my only complaint is it seems more on the lemonade side than the wheat ale side.

Appearance is a pallid yellow much resembling lemonade with barely, if not, almost any head whatsoever.

Smell is high in lemons with a hint of wheat. It has that candy lemon smell, much like Lemonheads, as another reviewer put it.

Taste was pretty good. As I said before, this stuff comes off more like an alcoholic lemonade than an actual beer. It's a good experiment, as it is good, but there's too much lemon and not enough wheat.

Mouthfeel was pretty watery and went down quickly. Nothing to savor after the first sip of the brew.

Drinkability isn't bad at all. For a hot summer day, this stuff can certainly fix the thirst for a while and it's a good "warm up" beer for those who haven't had much beer before. It's a good brew for a hot summer day, but it's more like a glorified lemonade. Why not? Summer's here!

2.87/5  rDev -7.7%

These things tend to show up at July 4th parties so I thought I'd give it a go. Pours like a cloudy American wheat with a quickly disappearing head. Aroma is pure lemon while the flavor incorporates a bit more beer - pretty standard light wheat with little hop character. The lemon character is exactly like lemon drop candy. I guess it's decent for a bottled shandy. I'd rather just make my own with a better quality lemonade and beer.

2.87/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle best before June 30, 2014. Served in a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a pale yellow color with 2 fingers of a white head with decent retention and some very light spotty lacing. Body is very hazy.

Smell: Artificial lemonade, slight wheat/malt character as well

Taste: Artificial lemonade, though not overpoweringly sweet. Beyond that is grain with a very slight spiciness. Somewhat off putting grain aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, but somewhat thin. Medium carbonation.

Overall: Not awful, but it's nowhere near good either. Even among other shandies/beer cocktails, there are better options

2.86/5  rDev -8%

[Best served in a Weizen glass]

The pour was a cloudy light amber with a very small white foamy head that diminished in a matter of seconds and had poor runny lacing.

The Aroma was light grain malt, a very mild grassy hop and a soapy yeast with a note of citrus (lemon).

The taste was kind of light and a little malty with a decent yeast presence throughout with the finish having a mild citrus taste towards the end. The flavor lasted an average time after the swallow with a yeasty lemon taste left behind.

Mouthfeel was light in body and a tad watery in texture with a somewhat lively carbonation.

Overall this was a brew with a refreshing citrus wheat flavor and an easy drinkability. It would make a good summertime brew for those who prefer a lighter beer…

2.85/5  rDev -8.4%

A- cloudy and gold with a white frothy head that dissipates to no head extremely quickly. 3/5

S - tart lemonade with a slight caramel malt. 3/5

T - tart lemonade. no sweetness at all. no hop profile. 2.75/5

M - medium bodied. medium carbonation. 3/5

O - not my type of beer. will not revisit unless forced. 2.75/5

2.85/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

from notes:

A- a lemon yellow and opaque look to it. Very carbonated and it looks too carbonated. It fizzes the whole time.

S- lemonade aroma and lemons. nothing too much to report. Wheaty and lemony smell

T- a mikes hard lemonade that actually has a a little flavor. Too much carbonation though. It is like drinking lemonade with beer thrown into it.

M- fizzy and bursting of bubbly. Too much so.

D- i put it down but i wouldnt have another. It is an interesting idea but i was happy with the beer. I like their honey weiss though.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company