Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Reviews: 607 | Hads: 3,353
2.92/5  rDev -6.1%

Pint on tap

A - Cloudy, straw color. Finger of white foam, Decent retention. Carbonated

S - Smells of light lemons. Thats really about all I pick up.

T - Meh...follows the nose. Some lemon peel, very light malts. Lemon lingers on the tongue after the finish. Just not much there for me.

M - Very light bodied, highly carbonated. Watery thin.

O - The appearance surprised me. Wasn't expecting the cloudiness. Just not a fan. I'm not a fruit beer guy to being with and this one just confirms yet again why.

2.91/5  rDev -6.4%

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint

Bottle dated best by Sep 03 2013

Well I have to start by saying I was expecting a little more on this one, I live in Houston and I drink Live Oak Hefe on the reg and I always have it served with a lemon slice, so when I see this at the store say traditional Weisse with lemon I think it's something I could enjoy. Pours a cloudy lemonade color with a couple finger head that doesn't last, almost no lacing as the glass goes down. All lemon on the scent. More lemon on the taste than I would like for the style, I expected a Weisse with a lemon hint not a mixture of beer and lemonade. Overall, it's ok, I'm not going to pour it out or anything, but its defiantly not something I'm going to seek out again.

poured into pint glass

A- cloudy yellow. head quickly disappeared. lacing sticks to glass nicely.Little to no carbonation.

S- Sweet blend of wheat and fresh lemonade. However it kind of reminds me of a Bud Light Lime or some other low quality fruit infused beer.

T- Pretty tasty. Initial lemon pow followed by even more lemon. Aftertaste is surprisingly... lemon!

M- Very easy going down. No carbonation on tongue with nothing but lemon aftertaste left in mouth.

D- I find this beer to taste more like a "bitch drink"(excuse the language) however it is easy to drink and on a weekend like the 4th of July I might end up with several in my belly. I wouldn't rush out to the store to buy more though.

2.9/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured into a snifter (for reviewing purposes). White head, low retention. Lacing really not too exciting. Body is hazy, opalescent, pale yellow/white. Aroma includes lemons and maybe some pledge (tm). Taste is lemony and wispy but a little too artificial to be too enjoyable. This is maybe a great gateway beer for people that don't like beer.

2.9/5  rDev -6.8%

Look - very light straw color, cloudy, lemonaide-looking. Good foam, about two finger's worth. Good carbonation, but hard to see due to cloudiness.

Smell - definite lemon smell. More hoppy than malty, but not extremely hoppy.

Taste - very strong lemon taste. Tastes like it should have an entire lemon floating in it...I can't get too far past it in the taste to find anything else.

Mouthfeel - medium..somewhat light, somewhat creamy.

Drinkability - probably not the greatest beer, but in terms of repeat drinkability, with the lower abv and not-very-beer-like taste, you could come back to this type of beer a few times.

2.89/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Cloudy yellow colored beer with a tall white colored head. Looks like wheat beer mixed with lemonade which is pretty much what this is.

Smells strongly of lemonade and less strongly roasted grain and faint herbal hop. Soda cracker malt scent.

Starts out mildly sweet with mainly a lemon flavor and a toasted whet after taste. Tastes like lemonade and beer. Needless to say not really a traditional beer.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall an inoffensive drink. Guess it works as a thirst quencher.

2.88/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

It appears to be... lemonade! A bright yellow hue is applied to an opaque body with a thin, white head. Retention is horrible. No lacing. Plenty of carbonation.

An almost overwhelming amount of lemon. I get a heaping helping of fresh and artificial lemon... and that's it. Nothing else.

Honestly, it's not good... BUT it's refreshing! There is nothing here to tell me "hey, I'm a beer!" It would be better served as a Smirnoff Ice product. Kool-aid comes to mind.

Incredibly light, crisp and refreshing! Lots of carbonation and a nice sweetness that is not overpowering. Easy to drink.

I have a hard time calling this a beer as there is nothing here that resembles a beer, or at least what I consider beer. That said, I enjoy it... A bit of a guilty pleasure if you will. Easy to drink and thirst-quenching. Definitely a good beverage for a hot, summer day.

2.88/5  rDev -7.4%

The pale, cloudy appearance isn't too impressive up front for this summery lemonade-infused wheat beer. The initial citrus smell isn't bad, though, but what really counts is the taste, and here it just reminds me far too much of Pledge furniture polish. Something here seems fishy (and plastic), and I won't be picking these up anytime soon.

2.88/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy straw color with fat, chunky bone-white head.

Smells like lemonade, wheat, lime and carbonation. A mix of Mike's hard lemonade and a wit.

Hmmm, not really a beer, per say...I only taste wheat and lemonade, and not very much of it. Might be refreshing ice cold on a hot summer day or could serve as an outdoor brunch beer.

Had this at a buddy's house as a leftover. I was expecting worse, but still think I would pass on purchasing this one.

2.88/5  rDev -7.4%

my cousin wanted something new, so we got a 12 pack of this. it's alright. when i first tried it, it didn't do well for me and i ended up not drinking it. but the next day i wanted a buzz so i drank a few of these. it takes a while to get used to it.
the moment it hits your mouth it's like you're drinking water but it is quickly followed by a strange zap of lemon. it might be a bit too much lemon, in my opinion. after a while, though, like i said, it grows on you, but perhaps that is due to you drinking 4 of them and you think everything is great. i tried to find out the AC for it i believe it is around 4.5%.
if you don't want a strong beer but rather a crisp lemon taste with a little beer taste, get this. if not, i don't know.

2.87/5  rDev -7.7%

Appearance- I actually really like the appearance. It is a very hazy brew that almost looks unfiltered (but it is). With an aggressive pour there is about a 1 finger head with very little retention. The color itself is a very pale yellow with a lot of haze to it.

Smell- Right off the initial nose, I of course get lime and lemon right away, but there is actually a decently strong vanilla aroma to it that I enjoy. With the second sniff, I get a faint malt mixed in with even more lime than before.

Taste- The initial taste is very mild with undertones of lime predominately. Immediately followed by almost a rancid malt after taste. If placed on the tip of the tongue the lemon does really pop out, with just a bit of that sweet smelling vanilla.

Mouthfeel- Incredibly watery and has a high drink-ability. I think this could definitely be a session beer for anyone because it is extremely thin and light.

Overall, Summer Shandy is decent. I would drink this as a lawn mower beer if someone gave me it. I would not ever buy it for myself mainly because that is not my go to brew. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a Shandy in the summer, but not to any serious craft beer fanatic.

2.87/5  rDev -7.7%

I picked up a batch of this today at the grocery store as it seemed to look like a good summer brew. As it turns out, it's not a bad beer, but my only complaint is it seems more on the lemonade side than the wheat ale side.

Appearance is a pallid yellow much resembling lemonade with barely, if not, almost any head whatsoever.

Smell is high in lemons with a hint of wheat. It has that candy lemon smell, much like Lemonheads, as another reviewer put it.

Taste was pretty good. As I said before, this stuff comes off more like an alcoholic lemonade than an actual beer. It's a good experiment, as it is good, but there's too much lemon and not enough wheat.

Mouthfeel was pretty watery and went down quickly. Nothing to savor after the first sip of the brew.

Drinkability isn't bad at all. For a hot summer day, this stuff can certainly fix the thirst for a while and it's a good "warm up" beer for those who haven't had much beer before. It's a good brew for a hot summer day, but it's more like a glorified lemonade. Why not? Summer's here!

2.87/5  rDev -7.7%

These things tend to show up at July 4th parties so I thought I'd give it a go. Pours like a cloudy American wheat with a quickly disappearing head. Aroma is pure lemon while the flavor incorporates a bit more beer - pretty standard light wheat with little hop character. The lemon character is exactly like lemon drop candy. I guess it's decent for a bottled shandy. I'd rather just make my own with a better quality lemonade and beer.

2.87/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle best before June 30, 2014. Served in a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a pale yellow color with 2 fingers of a white head with decent retention and some very light spotty lacing. Body is very hazy.

Smell: Artificial lemonade, slight wheat/malt character as well

Taste: Artificial lemonade, though not overpoweringly sweet. Beyond that is grain with a very slight spiciness. Somewhat off putting grain aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, but somewhat thin. Medium carbonation.

Overall: Not awful, but it's nowhere near good either. Even among other shandies/beer cocktails, there are better options

2.86/5  rDev -8%

[Best served in a Weizen glass]

The pour was a cloudy light amber with a very small white foamy head that diminished in a matter of seconds and had poor runny lacing.

The Aroma was light grain malt, a very mild grassy hop and a soapy yeast with a note of citrus (lemon).

The taste was kind of light and a little malty with a decent yeast presence throughout with the finish having a mild citrus taste towards the end. The flavor lasted an average time after the swallow with a yeasty lemon taste left behind.

Mouthfeel was light in body and a tad watery in texture with a somewhat lively carbonation.

Overall this was a brew with a refreshing citrus wheat flavor and an easy drinkability. It would make a good summertime brew for those who prefer a lighter beer…

2.85/5  rDev -8.4%

A- cloudy and gold with a white frothy head that dissipates to no head extremely quickly. 3/5

S - tart lemonade with a slight caramel malt. 3/5

T - tart lemonade. no sweetness at all. no hop profile. 2.75/5

M - medium bodied. medium carbonation. 3/5

O - not my type of beer. will not revisit unless forced. 2.75/5

2.85/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

from notes:

A- a lemon yellow and opaque look to it. Very carbonated and it looks too carbonated. It fizzes the whole time.

S- lemonade aroma and lemons. nothing too much to report. Wheaty and lemony smell

T- a mikes hard lemonade that actually has a a little flavor. Too much carbonation though. It is like drinking lemonade with beer thrown into it.

M- fizzy and bursting of bubbly. Too much so.

D- i put it down but i wouldnt have another. It is an interesting idea but i was happy with the beer. I like their honey weiss though.

2.85/5  rDev -8.4%

12 oz. bottle, no bottled on date present. I've been seeing a lot of this stuff lately, all the stores are getting rid of it for the winter cheap as hell, and it feels slightly off drinking one of these in the middle of December, but it works. Glad I could finally just sit down and review it, although this beer is ideal for a party.

A - Pale, boring, carbonated straw looking color. Kind of murky, swampy looking. Nice clean white head on top, though.

S - Smells kind of like a lot of wheat with a little lemons. Like someone just poured lemonade into your Miller Lite. Doesn't smell bad or off-putting, just doesn't smell very genuine to me.

T - Watery, alcoholic lemonade taste. This is a beer that would probably go over well with people who are not big beer drinkers or big fans of beer in general. Kind of on the borderline with being almost more akin to a wine cooler than a beer. There is a zesty, fresh lemon taste, but again it just doesn't taste genuine to me at all. It gives off that "mass produced" vibe.

M - Carbonated. Probably way more than it should be. This beer does have a high drinkability, with a nice moderate 4.2% abv, but the high carbonation just leaves me feeling bloated.

Overall, not great, but worse beers do exist. A good starter beer I suppose for people who are looking to rage, and for those who don't like beer maybe that wanna try something different.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy ---3/5

2.85/5  rDev -8.4%

After the Berry Weiss, I was very cautious about another fruity selection from Leinenkugels, but I bought the sample pack so I proceeded onwards.

This beer is actually pretty good, (especially in comparison to the Berry Weiss.) The lemonade flavor is subtle and I found it was really nice on a hot day, I felt like I was having a beer which maybe had been garnished with a slice of lemon. No problem!

A - A smooth dirty yellow, with a light white head.

S - Smells like beer, a major advantage. Slight hint of lemon in the scent, but it mostly only smelled like beer, mostly.

T - Tasted like a beer that you wouldn't buy all the time, but the girl working at the dock likes it so you order it, and she sticks a slice of lemon on there and slips you her number after you fix her shirt tag, which was sticking out. Then you wake up in your lawn chair and you've got no number and no lemon slice, but its hot and this beer is keeping you pretty cool.

M - smooth, no acidity from lemon or otherwise, very cool and refreshing.

D - smooth, tasty, not too sweet or sour from the lemon, easy drinking. A step up from mikes hard lemonade, somewhere in between mikes and a real beer.

Overall - not bad, I drank all 3 from the sampler while the other two berry weiss lie in wait for some sucker to try.

2.85/5  rDev -8.4%

Served in a frosted shaker pint glass at Finn McCool's.

Figured since it was a featured brew and one I haven't had at Quizzo yet, I'd take it down tonight. It pours a hazy white grapefruit topped by a half-finger of short-lived white foam. The nose comprises lemon zest, wheat, and what could theoretically be construed as coriander. All of these elements come through very meekly. The taste holds notes of lemonade, grapefruit juice, lemon peel, and slightly funky wheat. It all comes across as something akin to a crappy bottle of Squirt or something. The body is a hefty light, with a moderate carbonation and a grainy-ish feel. Overall, I can easily say that I would not go for this one particularly in the future.

2.85/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours out of the bottle a murky cloudy light yellow color with a smallish white head that dissipates quickly. It looks a lot like the liquid that comes out of one of those plastic lemons only this has a small head on it for a minute or two. The smell is pretty heavy on the lemon. There's a faint spicy wheat beer aroma deep underneath, but I mostly get lemons. The flavor is and odd mix of beer and lemon juice. It tastes like carbonated lemonade with a hint of macro wheat beer mixed in there. Medium to thin body with a spirited level of carbonation and a sweet and tart kind of mouthfeel happening. This one didn't really do it for me.
The lemony aspect of this I kind of enjoyed, but I think that the base beer that they used is just south of lackluster.

2.85/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 oz can poured into pint glass

A- off cloudy light yellow, gigantic head, minimal lacing

S- nothing but lemons

T- slight sweetness,doughy, and very lemony

M- light crust with medium carbonation

O- okay feels like I'm drinking beer mixed with lemonade but definitely refreshing on a hot day

2.85/5  rDev -8.4%

Summer Shandy pours a hazy yellow color with a finger of white head that fades to a thin cap soon after the pour.

The aroma is a lemony, but not overpoweringly so with a hint of pine.

The taste is lemony and refreshing. Not sweet like an alcopop, this is definitely beer, which is a good thing.

The mouthfeel is light to medium with a lemony aftertaste.

I think drinkablility on this one will improve as the temperature rises. This is a beer that will slide down fast on those hot summer days. Probably good it is 4.2% abv for that reason. While this beer didn't wow me, it is quaffable. Take a chance and try this one.

2.85/5  rDev -8.4%

looks.... interesting. smells like concentrated lemonade thats been watered down with cheap beer. eww to sweet almost cloyingly so. tastes a little too artificial for me. I'm not a hater on Leinies in general but i would rather buy my own coors light and mix it with sprite for less money.

2.84/5  rDev -8.7%

pours a yellowish copper color with little head.

smells of very strong lemon scents, almost to much.

taste is way more lemon than i expected but as i drank it i got more used to it, it does have a bite to it but thats from all the lemon flavoring.

heavily carbonated, lemon flavor covers the beer and you can really almost taste nothing but lemon, its a bit overwhelming.

easy to drink, decent beer for after a hard day of work or maybe out at the pool, it seems to be more of a refreshment than a beer, somewhat like lemonade. not bad though.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company