Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)

3.98/5  rDev +26.3%

Appearance: Pale, cloudy yellow. Like Hoegaarden. Not as much foam, but good lacing.

Smell: Lemon with an earthy lemongrass aroma as well. I would like this a bit stronger though.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Summer Shandy lives up to its billing as a mixture of lemonade and beer. I know they serve stuff like this in Germany, particularly in the Munich area. I have to say I find the taste quite pleasant and detect an acceptable amount of malt as well in the finish. I worried this would taste like Sprite. I'm glad to be wrong.

Drinkability: Hey, it's lemonade.

Overall: It's not the greatest beer in the planet. But really? Is that the point with Summer Shandy? No. It's meant to be a refreshing SUMMER SHANDY. On those grounds I give this beer a positive review.

3.98/5  rDev +26.3%

This is a great crisp light body summer Ale. Cool refreshing Lemony beer to enjoy at the end of a summer day. This is my go to beer great cook outs and camping. It pours with a nice head and great carbonation. This beer makes it really feel like summer is here.

3.98/5  rDev +26.3%

Admittedly I'm a sucker for sweeter beers, but even I was skeptical at a lemonade/beer combo. However girly it may be, it is a delicious and refreshing beer that manages to eliminate all of the negatives of a malt beverage like Mike's Hard or a flavored beer like Bud Light Lime. There's no lingering sweetness, and isn't harsh on the stomach acid wise. You can taste the beer and the lemonade, but neither are bad. The flavors don't taste fake or forced. Great refreshing beer for a summer barbeque.

3.95/5  rDev +25.4%

Appearance is pure gold with some cloudy. Smell is strong with lemon. Mouthfeel has some lingering to it, with a pleasant sweet tartness. The taste is strong with the lemon-aid. This is a great taste on a good hot 90 degree day here in PA. Overall this is a true seasonal beer, good in the summer. Let us have some burgers and dogs.

3.95/5  rDev +25.4%

Instead of most summer beers which are a beer with lemonade flavor, this is a lemonade with lemonade flavor. More comparable to Mike's Hard Lemonade, minus the severe heartburn. This is very tastey stuff; potentially the most refreshing summer beer you can buy. I think it's great, although It's certainly on the fringes of the "malt beverage" catagory. The big difference, though, is no cloying sweetness or obvious sugar additives. I'll be stocking up of this for the summer months.

3.93/5  rDev +24.8%

S = This had the aroma of a box of "Lemon Heads" candy.

T = The taste was more restrained than the smell. It actually tasted as if I'd eaten a lemon biscuit. There was no bitterness at all and the finish, again, left a lemon bread taste.

MF = There was moderate carbonation, but I felt it was a little thin.

Overall, I enjoyed this beer. It would make a great summer grass cutting brew.

3.93/5  rDev +24.8%

Leinenkugel’s Summer Shandy has a thick, fluffy, white head and a very cloudy, pale yellow appearance. The aroma is of lemonade and just a touch of white bread. Taste is of lemonade, white wheat bread, sugar, and a very low bitterness. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Leinenkugel’s Summer Shandy finishes mostly dry, tart, and refreshing. It’s not really a beer. It’s a flavored malt beverage. I think it’s very good, for what it is.

RJT

12 Ounce brown bottle

Appearance: Cloudy light yellow color with moderate head

Smell: Maybe not particularly beer smelling but it has a great lemon smell. It is the smell of a really flavorful lemonade and just gives a great summer feeling

Taste: The flavor is less lemonade -ey then the smell which actually makes it a lot better. If you expect it to taste like a Mike's, it will not be what you expected. On the other hand there is a light beer flavor that mixes with the lemonade but is not very strong

Note: This is a really good beverage but it is a little hard to consider it wheat beer because there is very little wheat beer flavors (fruity but lacks the variety of fruit flavors). But I have never actually made a Shandy before but I feel this would be a good representation of it (very refreshing)

3.93/5  rDev +24.8%

One of my first beers as a legal adult, so this brings back lots of memories with friends and summers spent by a bonfire drinking a Shandy.
Think of this beer as a watered alcoholic version of Sunkist Lemonade (where available in your area)
Very light and fruity, not like Leines Berry Weiss but I still won't drink more than 12 pack at one time.

3.93/5  rDev +24.8%

A - Cloudy, yellow color - looking like most good wietbier's I've had. Looks a tiny bit off like you can see the lemonade in it
S - Strong citrusy, lemons and limes, smells good
T - . Typical wheat-flavors, with good NATURAL tasting lemon flavor. I was worried about this being too sweet but it isn't.
M - Medium bodied, a little on the thin side, light carbonation.
D - In short - I like this. Much better then Leinenekuger's ill fated Berry weiser, this one still tastes like beer. The lemonade/lemon flavor introduced is natural and not sickly sweet. I see people comparing this to Mike's Hard Lemonade, but I think that's a complete stretch. This is just a decent wietbier with some lemon flavors added to it which complements it well.

3.93/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I have drank this from a can and bottle both. The bottle is a little better in my opinion. This is one of my favorite summer beers. Very refreshing on a hot day outside. Good lemonade flavoring that is consistent throughout the entire beer (even as it begins to warm). Drinkability is very good in that the flavor doesn't wear on you and there is no lingering aftertaste. Slight notes of lemonade in the smell. Appears very cloudy as it is an unfiltered wheat (I believe).

Outstanding hot weather beer!

3.93/5  rDev +24.8%

Poured a very cloudy pale lemon color with a big, frothy 3 finger head that left a medium lacing throughout the drink
Nice lemony citrus smell-definately different
Light mouthfeel, the first hit is with carbonation and then the lemon takes over (again, definately different)
I passed by this several times, even after my friends at The Anderson's recommended it, but thought it was worth a try. I absolutely love the Sam Adams Summer and while I still feel it is much better, this Leiny isn't bad at all. I love lemonade and/or beer on a hot summer day and this is the best of both worlds.
Definately worth a try!