Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007

Ratings: 3,218 | Reviews: 676
2.99/5  rDev -5.4%

Leinenkugel is a brand I’ve never tried…except for their Fruity Pebbles – I mean Sunset Wheat offering. This one was a gift, and I’m happy to have it (no matter the end result in flavor).

A: Lemonade, what do you know. Dirty lemonade, almost: there’s a little brown in the hazy yellowish pour, with a fluffy white head. A fizz eventually sits over the body at a little more than paper-thin, with some light bubbles flowing through the body, though no lacing.

S: A very light fruity scent: lime, berry lemonade, and a familiar aroma of dish soap. It’s a pretty pleasant wheaty fruitiness – mostly lime – with just a bit of grains roaming around beneath. Clove, pepper, and grains of paradise give it a little kick, too. Smells like summer.

T: Lime sherbet, with just a bite of lemon pulp and peach, come first – pretty fruity for a light macro. A little bitter astringency takes the form of lemon rind and light straw, followed closely by some good wheat flavors. Some pepper and herb tastes pop up, like in the nose, but not for long; aftertaste is oily lemon syrup and grain husk. It tastes like lemonade, but not the strongly tart stuff I prefer.

M: Macro fizz, but with a little more thickness. Satisfying, with a good amount of frothy lightness.

O: Better than I was expecting; I could knock out a few of these on a summer day, especially a hot one. Not more than a few, though, since this one has a bit of an odd aftertaste.

2.99/5  rDev -5.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a hefe glass. Tall whipped cream-like white head that has some good retention. Thin spots of lace stick here and there to the glass. Hazy lemony yellow body color.

Smell is like Country Time lemonade mix. Very artificial. Taste is also predominantly lemonade with the slightest hint of wheat.

Mouthfeel is very light and crisp. A refreshing lemon aftertaste. I really wasn't expecting to like this, but it is a lot better than I thought it would be. It's nothing serious to be sure, but would be great for a BBQ.

2.99/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured out of a 12oz can into a pint glass.

A) It's a rather pleasing cloudy yellow, topped off with a nice inch of white head. The head is gone quickly, no lacing.

S) I've had this summer brew a number of times, and never really considered the smell. I guess that's because it gets consumed quickly right from the can or bottle. Having said all of that, I'm glad I never took a deep whiff, because it immediately reminded me of Lemon Pledge. I don't think beer should smell like something you dust with.

T) Normally smell would be a good indicator, but not in this case. I find the taste to be pretty good. It seems to be light malt and lemon, with an okay finish.

M) It's light, crisp, and highly refreshing.

O) This is a decent brew served ice cold on a summer day. I like it while golfing, right from the can. It gives me the beer confidence I need to sink 6 ft putts, while the 4.2% ABV doesn't turn me into more of a duffer then I already am.

2.99/5  rDev -5.4%

12oz bottle into my Three Floyd's glass. Hazy and a lighter, golden yellow color with a thin, frothy white head to it. Decent lacing on the glass as I drank it.

The aroma has a lemon-aid, slightly lemony household cleaner type of flavor to it. Just a hint of a grainy, sweet, beer base to it.

The taste shows a little more of a sweeter, grainy, beer quality to it up front. The finish is all about the lemonaid with a tart, lemony quality to it.

The mouthfeel is light and carbonation is above average. overall, it was a decent beverage but not a very good beer. I think I'd rather just have an actual lemon-aid.

2.98/5  rDev -5.7%

So it's really cute that my girlfriend is trying to get into craft beers. She tends to love the sweeter and more fruit based beers. This is one that she absolutely loved and goes out of her way to purchase. I had to give it a shot.

Bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Hazy golden color. Looks like a dark lemonade. Some lacing and some bubbles on the walls of the glass. Taste is all lemon and malt- carbonated lemonade- tons of citrus flavor. I can see why this is an attractive beer to some. Light bodied. Very carbonated. Not my cup of tea, but it is popular given the fact that it is easy drinking and flavorful.

2.98/5  rDev -5.7%

I CAN tell you that I was not a huge fan of this one last year around this time, bottle give it another try. I CAN't wait to get back on The CANQuest (TM)!

Wow! I have to give it props for presentation. Two fingers of bone-white head above a cloudy banana-yellow colored beer!?! It looked like liquid lemon meringue pie! It smelled like it, too, that or Lemon Pledge. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was a sugary lemonade. I would have preferred it to tend more towards tart and/or dry, but the inherent sweetness was not to my liking. Finish was still too sweet for me to really get behind it. I am a member of Leinie's Lodge, but I am not putting this in my canoe (unless Pocahontas is coming along and she would like to drink it, in which case ...). Nah, this is just too close to kiddie alcopop for my taste.

2.98/5  rDev -5.7%

I knew I would eventually end up reviewing this beer.

A-Well, If lemonade had a head, this beer would be almost indistinguishable from the fruity beverage. Translucent. Hard to see any carbonation. Head is bone white and leaves more lacing that anticipated. How do I rate this? As a beer, it looks less than amazing. As a lemon spawned Summer sipper, I guess it looks nice.

S-Lemonade. Artificial lemonade. Smells like a plastic bottle of vending machine lemonade. The more I smell, the more I will admit that this brew may harbor some natural lemon tartness. So maybe the vending machine comment should be revoked? The flavor will decide.

T-To be honest, the flavor displays more natural lemon flavor and far less sickly sweet artificial lemon flavor. I recently burped and the burp's aftertaste was identical to lemonade. Was expecting a lot more 'Lemonade flavored Splenda' than 'Hey, this truly tastes like Lemonade'. So I guess that means good job?

M-Crisp and the carbonation draws my attention. Light body.

O/D-Better than expected. I don't really like lemonade anyway so this one never had to chance to make the word 'underrated' slide across my mind. Yet, while trying to be somewhat objective, this thing does not suck nearly as bad as expected.

2.98/5  rDev -5.7%

I'm not a huge fan. Pours a medium yellow color with a bit of head. There is a strong lemon and citrus fruit aroma. Lemonade in the first sip, carbonated lemonade. Definitely an American style Wheat. Rather smooth, a little sour, but overall fairly well balanced.

2.98/5  rDev -5.7%

A: Single finger head which rapidly disspiates to a thin rim around the periphery. Murky straw color with golden hues.

S: Very lemony with a bit of bready/wheat.

T: No esoteric commentary needed here. Just read the label... " Beer with natural lemonade flavor". More like lemonade with a touch of beer flavor.

M: May be the most refreshing beer ever. Its carbonated lemonade. Add some sugar and you have a Mike Hard Lemonade.

Overall: Maybe these types of beer are for some, but not for me.

2.97/5  rDev -6%

Lemonade beer? Good idea I guess. I would rather drink an Arnold Palmer with a shot of Grey Goose. Beer is pale light yellow. Of course smells like lemon and dirty dish water tones. Kind of looks like dirty dish water. They had this on a keg last year at a golf outing. I could only drink one. Too sweet, zesty and fizzy for a hot day. Upsets the stomach a little. Taste, sounds, drinks and feels like a soda pop. Sorry Leines this is your worst beer.

2.97/5  rDev -6%

After a hard day of work I decided to raid the my dads cooler in his boat for an Icy cold one. I was expecting busch or miller lite or high life but to my surprise I found glass longnecks. I was puzzled but I grabbed one and my favorite beer glass to give this a try. This is my first Leinenkugel Product to try

Appearance: Lemony yellow (duh) I poured vigorously and got a decent head but it quickly faded into a slick on the top. Not much lacing but I wasn't expecting it to have much.

Smell: Lemon and more lemon. I got a slight smell of some thing wheaty but not much

Taste: Tastes like beer flavored lemonade. Not much of a beer taste in there. It is refreshing though so it has that in its favor.

Mouthfeel: Not much there, it is kind of foamy but doesn't feel like I am drinking a beer. It isn't an offensive feel but it is not on par with what I call beer.

Drinkability: It is smooth for sure. I am sure on a hot day when I don't want to drink one of my heavy imports I might reach for one of these, unless I am craving a BEER then I will grab a BEER. Just kidding it is ok but I wouldn't drink it around my buddies. My GF might like it though.

Overall it is not an offensive drink. It is still refreshing and tasty but it doesn't give me the feeling of beer. I am pretty impressed with this company for doing something a little differerent. I am never a fan of flavored beer myself but out of all the ones I have tried this is probably the best one.

Best by 7/2/12.

Pours a murky light yellow with a 1/2 inch foamy off-white head that quickly fades to nothing. Small dots of lace slowly drip into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is pretty much solely of lemon-lime soda and lemonade mixed together. Taste is the same with a grain flavor that comes out on the aftertaste. This beer has a prickly level of carbonation but it's a bit thin. Overall, this is not exactly good but it's not too bad for what it is. On the very edge of not being beer in my opinion.

2.96/5  rDev -6.3%

My father-in-law gave me this to see what I thought. Sampled from a bottle best by 10/10/11. Bright, hazy yellow color with a fizzy white head that leaves a decent white cap. That was the best part. Surprisingly medium bodied with assertive carbonation. Smell and taste was lemons with orange zest. The aftertaste basically left you feeling as though you were drinking lemon concentrate. This is a beer that would be enjoyed by non-drinkers or Coors Light lovers.

2.96/5  rDev -6.3%

poured into a pint glass with a nice head that stayed around for a bit.hazy yellow,really smells like they just poured lemonade into a wheat beer,which is what they did i believe.tastes like a beer with lemonade poured into it.overall,i could drink a few of these on a hot summer day.however,this is a bit too sweet for my palate.a good beer to give to BMC fans.

2.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Appearance: Cloudy, pale yellow with a lot of bubbles. Big two finger white head with very good retention and lacing.

Smell: Big aroma of sweet and tart lemonade. Light hints of wheat and pale malts. Smells more like lemonade than a beer.

Taste: Tastes like it smells. Big taste of tart lemons throughout with a little wheat and very subtle hints of pale malts. Like a hard lemonade with hints of beer.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with a medium to high level of carbonation. Crisp.

Overall: This tastes ok but it's not something I would seek out again. As a lemonade it tastes pretty weak and as a beer its almost nonexistent.

2.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Hazed lemong glow golden with a bright white creamy head forming thick witha fizzy head, lacing is nice fine and scattered on the sides of my chalice. Aroma heavy with the lemonzest almost like a cleaning supply lemon, it's very zesty. Flavors clear out the nostrils with lemon zest and really hit heavy with the tartness definitely some biscuit/wheat malt characteristics but the lemon zest rolls a bit too hard I couldn't drink many of these even though I really like the can they're packaged in. Very carbonated light bodied mouthfeel that is a bit too much. Drinkability is weak, tasty brew a bit heavy on the lemon zest doesn't work out as a standby regular for me.

2.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Brewed with natural Lemonade flavor.

A: Poured a very cloudy, lemony wit color with a foamy 1 finger white head that fell to a slight, fizzy layering quickly after the pour.

S: country time sour lemonade.

T: sour country time lemonade, and oranges. Tastes more like a hard lemonade then a beer. Some sour lemony texture.

M: light, with some fizziness from the carbonation with a tart lemonade fade.

D: A refreshing summer time alternative that looks like a wit but drank like a lemonade cooler.

2.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a hazy lemon gold with a bit of carbonation that's all but gone right away. Its an attractive pour but its also different from what beer normally looks like in my opinion.

Smells pretty good if sweet is your thing. Good lemon sweetness. The beer malts are subtle in the background.

The taste is the letdown for me. The lemon is there, but strangely not very citrusy. It tastes a lot more like beer than it smells; good grains come through. A classic wheat taste. However, it tastes very bland to me. Nothing wrong with it, just wish there was more.

The mouthfeel is fine. Not too sugary or thick which is good considering you might expect that with a lemonade beer.

Overall, I think this beer has potential to be a great summer session or cookout beer, but you'll have to find the right foods to bring out the taste or make sure you aren't eating anything at all. Otherwise, it starts to feel like drinking beer with water in it instead of lemonade.

2.95/5  rDev -6.6%

I'll be the first to admit that I think that Leinenkugel's is a very overrated brewer. This beer won't change my mind. Very "lemon-y" and sweet which I personally don't care for in a beer. I expected a much more tart flavor but it is rather sweet which keeps one from being able to drink to many at a time.

2.95/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A--poured a murky unfiltered yellow with a slight wispy head that was gone in a flash...very little lacing

S--smelled very much like a lemon-drop candy. Faintly sweet citrus aroma

T--very citrusy...almost like lemon tonic very refreshing flavor...

M--crispy dry finish...light with very little after taste of feel on the tongue
\
O--an okay beer that would be good on a very hot day...easy to drink and easy to find

2.95/5  rDev -6.6%

A: Light yellow color. Pours a three finger puffy white head that dissipated evenly. Thick, even lacing.

S: Strong lemon aroma and very light malts. Hops were not detctable.

T: Consistent with taste; prominent sweetened lemons and a thin malt character. Slightly sour aftertaste.

M: Light body. Smooth, clean finish. Ample carbonation.

D: Ample taste with the lemony kick goes down pretty easy. Be ready for something thats not very "beer-like".

2.94/5  rDev -7%

This is difficult to rate as a beer, since it much more resembled a non-alcoholic mixture of Ginger-Ale and lemonade. Very pale in color, with little lacing or head and a hint of lemon in the nose. Taste was lemony soda pop.

Not sure who this beer would appeal to, as even the women at our table thought it tasted too cheesy. Before I drink this again, I'll have a straight lemonade or real beer, not this 'tweener.

2.94/5  rDev -7%

this is one of my wife's favorite beers, being the fact I have nothing else left to drink, I had to open it.
A- very pale yellow, maybe pale isnt the word to use. How about urine like?
S - Citrus is the only thing I can smell, lots of citrus
T - citrus rine, some sweetness, lots of citrus bitterness
M - easy to drink, if you like lemonade
O - this is one beer that is constantly in my fridge that I dont like to touch. Not to say its a bad beer, but it leaves me wanting to drink something with more flavor and bite.
good lawnmower beer, or beer to throw through a lawnmower.

2.93/5  rDev -7.3%

Had it at a Restaurant, enjoyed it, picked up a 6 pack. Pours a hazy, yellow. Almost looks like pear juice. Pretty nice head, maybe 2 inches, with decent retention and very little lacing. Smells predominantly of lemons, and a bit of malt and hops. Taste compliments the smell. Not bad, but definitely a summer beer. Not something I can drink all the time. Carbonation was off, and the taste was on the "watery" side. Someone said they should just call this "Bud Light with Lemon", but I think it's a bit better than Bud Light, but not by much. If you're outside working or having a BBQ on a hot day, this is the right beer.

2.93/5  rDev -7.3%

Pours a very cloudy yellow into my pint glass. Has a 1.5 finger head with white soda-like bubbles. Leaves a small amount of lace on the glass.

The smell is obviously lemon at first, but after a few sniffs, an astringent quality comes through, and it starts to smell more like a lemon scented cleanser. The taste is...not terrible, but certainly not great. It's almost like Budweiser with powered lemonade mix stirred in.

The mouthfeel is very acidic and carbonated from the moment it touches your tongue.

My review makes it sound worse than it probably is. Served ice cold on a hot day, it would probably hit the spot. Any other time, and I don't think I would have more than one.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company