Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007

Reviews: 598 | Hads: 3,266
2.56/5  rDev -17.9%

Pours a clowdy pale straw, much like an american wheat. Big white head persists. Initial aroma is lemon, but some malt comes through as this beer warms up. First impression is lemonade with beer poured in it (given the bottle says "weiss beer with lemonade" I would say they hit this one almost right on the mark (I would say they need to reverse the order and call it lemonade with weiss beer). I wouldn't buy this stuff, but on a hot day it isn't bad, it goes down easy, but I keep burping up lemon! (501 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The finacee's favorite beer.

It's an attractive pale yellow with good haze and a white head. The flavor is a lot like lemon extract that you use for baking, which isn't to my tastes. I find a Radler a lot more charming, but this beats one I had once with actual, pulpy lemonade. (279 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy yellow. Looks like a cough drop. Half finger head. No retention.

This beer smells like a fart to me. A little bit of lemon and grass. Like you shoved a lemon up your ass and shit it back out.

Taste is not much better. Artificial lemon. Grass. Rotten grain. Very poor beer.

Mouthfeel is okay. Watery. High carbonation. Meh.

This beer is pretty gross. Wouldn't seek out. (389 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from my dual-tap kegerator into a pint glass. I normally wouldn't buy a lemonade flavored beer but from time to time, I have to give a tap choice to my wife and this is one her favorites during the summer. With that said, lets get on to the review.

Appearance: This pour is yellow and cloudy, typical of your unfiltered wheat beer. Average one-finger head that quickly diminishes.

Smell: Believe it or not, the lemonade aroma dominates. I mean really dominates. I can't smell much of anything else. Certainly not any beer aroma.

Taste: Yes sir, this is a lemonade beer. Not as bad as a lemonade flavor wine cooler, as it lacks the syrupy sweetness and thickness. I catch a faint background of a wheat beer trying desperately to come out, but the lemon flavor pushes back hard and says, "Not on my watch".

Mouthfeel: It has that lively carbonation and does go down effortlessly.

Overall: I'll be honest, if I'm out mowing the lawn in the 90 degree heat, plus high humidity weather, this beer would taste pretty darn good going down. Short of that, this beer didn't have the typical flavors of a good unfiltered wheat ale, which it tries to resemble. I liked it better than their Sunset Wheat, which was too sweet and cereal tasting for my liking. Give me my Allagash White Ale or Southampton Double White Ale for my summer drinking beer... (1,352 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -18.9%

The appearance is a bright yellow. Kind of a fun color.
In the aroma I get some of the pilsner malts and a good chunk of sugary citrus.
Taste is very sweet with little to no beer flavor. Carbonation is prickly.
If you like lemonade, go for it. If I am in the mood for a radler/shandy I would rather mix lemonade with a lager of my choosing. (340 characters)

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a cloudy yellow with a long-lasting white head, no lace.

S: Smells like 7-UP.

T: Very light flavour, hint of malt and hops. The lemon comes through in the finish, but overall very mild.

M: Light-bodied, thin and watery.

D: Interesting enough to try once, but the beer got boring fast, not something to come back to. (344 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -18.9%

A - pale, cloudy yellow body topped with a creamy white head, decent retention, no lacing
S - lemonade, wheat, yeast, biscuit
T - sweet and tart, artificial lemonade, wheat, biscuit, yeast
M - thin and watery, high carbonation, refreshing finish brings you back for more on a hot day
O - I'm not crazy over this by any means, but it does serve its purpose on a hot day. I'll drink it if it's around but I wouldn't buy it unless someone was requesting it. (454 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -19.2%

Cloudy yellow pour, if it had lemon pulp in it, you might be thinking you gots lemonade up in here. Head disappears even though it was large, contributing to that thought.

Lemon aroma, slight yeast like aroma to it. That part was enjoyable.

Taste, is uh, weird. Lemon, but not the way I'm used to, usually its like lemon sour, or lemon citrus hop feel, but no, this is like, lemon candy almost. The beer isn't bitter, yet has lemon as its most defining characteristic. Just doesn't come across like beer, or a fruit beer even, like a hotty totty/boilermaker type of drink, something with lemon and beer in it, but not a 'lemon beer' per se. Anyways, I wouldn't recommend it to someone who likes beer. (702 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 fl oz aluminum can acquired as part of a variety box at Von's grocery and served into a Uinta pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are low given the brewery.

Served cold, straight from the refrigerator. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a five finger wide head of beige colour. Fair creaminess. Nice thickness. Okay frothiness. Retention is good - about 6+ minutes. No real lacing as the head recedes.

Body colour is a murky cloudy dull yellow-orange. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Overall, it's not looking good at all. Kind of crappy, to be honest.

Sm: Fake lemon zest. Artificial fruit esters. Sugary syrupy fruity crap. Clean malts. Just artificial through and through; not really appealing.

No yeast character or alcohol is detectable. An aroma of moderate to somewhat high strength.

T: Artificial lemon zest. Sugars. Light somewhat complementary floral hops. Pale malts. Clean barley. Imbalanced and overly sweet. Neither complex nor subtle. Feels like generic mass-produced crap.

No yeast character or alcohol comes through. Duration, intensity, and depth of flavour are lackluster.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Sugary texture leaves it a bit coarse. Overcarbonated. Lacks depth. Poor presence on the palate. Doesn't really suit the flavour all that well. Comes off artificial.

Dr: Drinkable, sure. But poorly executed. I wouldn't pay for it again, but I doubt I'd refrain from grabbing one from the cooler at a summertime party. It's bad, but downable. Best enjoyed without expectations that it'll be a beer. More of a garbage radler that you recognize is bad but drink for vague refreshment and tame inebriation. Meh.

Low C- (1,784 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -19.2%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz bottle.

A - The beer pours a very hazy yellow, forming a 1 inch white head. Very light spots of lace cling to the glass.

S - Strong aroma of alcoholic lemonade. Nothing else is detectible.

T - Just like the bottle says, this tastes like a wheat beer mixed with lemonade. Not necessarily bad. The lemonade flavoring dominates the taste, but a hint of the wheat comes out in the finish.

M - Light bodied. The flavor stays on the palate long after the swallow.

D - Not sure I could say this is very drinkable. I suppose I could see having one of these on a hot afternoon, but definitely not something I would ever order at a bar. (668 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -19.2%

The smell was definitely of the brewing process and not so much of a beery scent, but it had a hint of a different, yeasty aroma. Not unpleasant at all. First sip was an eyebrow raiser. The carbonation and taste of beer with a most definite taste of lemonade. Succeeding sips after the tastebuds settled in confirmed that the lemonade taste ruled over the beer taste. Not thick in the mouth parts at all, but the remnants of the lemonade flavor lingered. Quite nice, actually. For now, anyway.

More sips, more lemonade. Hey, where's the beer? It was as if the lemon citrus flavor took over the whole show like that real hammy kid at eighth grade graduation commencement performance. Ok, I see where this is going. Now, was this concoction brewed for the thirsty, or for the ladies?

I'd classify this beer as another "lawnmower" beer. You're hot, sweaty, smelly and stinky from cleaning out the septic tank or whatever, and you want to slake your thirst. Grab a couple of these guys. They'll go down just like... well, like lemonade. You'll hammer those down and go for the third before your stomach knows it has a visitor. But if you're chillin' on a so-so day looking for a good tasting manly beer, pass this one up and grab something else. There are plenty of others to choose from. (1,286 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It is beer that borders with kemonade. Teenagers would like it. It has wierd aftertaste that possible only with US made food chemicals. The idea is mix Real lemonade with Real Wheat beer. When brewed in Midwest as one unit it turned into chemical wierdness. (257 characters)

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Never having tried this style before I don't want to be harsh. However having friends familliar with the style from living in Germany I don't feel so bad giving this review.
Aroma is "countrytime" lemonade mix. Not the drink, the powder. Very acidic . Pours an odd shade of milky yellow with a billowing cream head that lasts throughout leaving quite a bit of lacing. I cannot taste any beer in this. Its all lemonade. Very acidic and harsh. Quite a bit of carbonation in conjunction with the lemonade makes it more like a soda. I can see where they were going with this but just went overboard on the lemonade. If it was a more natural lemon flavor it would probably be pretty good. but this tastes very artificial. (717 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Poured out a cloudy, pale yellow. Very fizzy with a white, one-finger head. Looked like lemonade especially while pouring it out of the bottle to the glass.

S - Smelled just like lemonade.

T -Tasted like lemonade with some wheat and clove notes.

M - It was soft and smooth. Also, quite fizzy.

D - It was drinkable but it didn't remind me of beer. It certainly makes a nice lemonade. (390 characters)

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

Pours a bright, cloudy yellow color with a half finger of foam that quickly fades. Aroma fills the room with a sickenly sweet lemon lime flavor... much like Sprite. With your eyes closed, this smells just like a soda. uh oh.

First sip is overwhelmingly lemon and sweet. Again, I could mistake this for a Sprite. I don't know how to rate this as a beer, because it doesn't resemble one in any way.

On the positive side, it is drinkable and unoffensive. You wouldn't know this had alcohol in it. Similar to a Smirnoff Ice or other bitch-pop. If I were 10 years younger and wanted to get a sorority girl drunk, this would do nicely.

I'm scoring this low except for drinkability because I hardly consider this a beer. (758 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -19.9%

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy pours a hazy golden yellow with a white head from a twelve ounce brown bottle. It smells just like lemonade. The body is very light as is the flavor. Up front the lemonade flavor isn't bad, but then it seems kind of artificial in the finish. More a malternative than a beer. (302 characters)

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a cloudy yellow with dense fast fading white head and spotty lacing. Smell: lemonade. Taste: highly carbonated lemonade with a touch of wheat. Mouthfeel: carbonated lemonade. There's not much here to suggest that this is a beer rather than a less sweet malternative. Doesn't stand up to other pale wheats I've tried, even though this is certainly refreshing. (364 characters)

2.49/5  rDev -20.2%

A- Pours a two-fingered fizzy. white head on a cloudy pale body. Pour head retention, some lacing.

S- Smells like lemon juice...weird bread?

T- Taste more like a soda than a beer, Squirt comes to mind. Sugary sweet. There's this weird off-putting taste in there somewhere. Refreshing citrus aftertaste.

M- Very carbonated, would hate to puke this up D: Watery mouthfeel.

D/O- Points scored on the drinkability aspect, not the "overall" one...aspects evened out used for my score here. Made me burp a lot due to the high carbonation. If you enjoy this one, seek out the Potosi Steamboat Shandy, I found it to be much more enjoyable. (635 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -20.5%

I've got mixed feelings about this.

Color: Whitish, pale color, much like the color of lemonade.

Aroma: Strong but nice lemon wheat aroma. Seems more like carbonated lemonade than beer.

Taste: Lemon upfront that fades to a bitter wheat taste. Very much like bitter, unsweetened lemonade. Light. Somewhat refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Dry and sour at the same time. Unappealing.

Verdict: I really don't like this much. The aroma was nice but it goes downwards after that. (468 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -21.2%

color looks like lemonade mixed with ice tea; sort of a golden hue with a brown tint to it..not particularly appetizing; has a nice crisp and fresh lemony smell but more like a lemonade smell than something i would associate with a beer; sort of tastes like a mike's lemonade but with less carbonation; yet i still think that is over carbonated; because of the carbonation it also has an odd feel in the mouth; very acidic and can really feel the bubbles on your tongue; almost like if you were to drink a soda...overall not too bad yet nothing special; i could see this as a beer to bring out at a summer party as it is not too complex, would probably be appeasing to most people and a little different than the normal macro brews (731 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -21.2%

This beer pours a cloudy pale yellow color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes quickly into decent lacing. The aroma is of powdered County Time Lemonade before it is mixed with water. There is absolutely no beeriness to the aroma. The taste isn't quite so processed lemonade like, but there still is nothing beer about it. The mouthfeel is medium-light bodied with lively carbonation. Overall, this "beer' simply isn't for me. The only flavored beer I've tried that I think is fair to compare it to is Bud Light Lime, and if forced to drink one I would choose the Bud Light Lime. (588 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -21.5%

This Radler poured with a bright lemon yellow hue that was capped by a fizzy, carbonated foam that collared away to nothing.

The nose is lemony, sort of sugary, with an obvious carbonated soda water.

The flavor is lemony as well but it's a sugary sweet artificial flavor. The finish is harsh and seems loaded with soda water, or Perrier like taste. I hate sparkling water and this reminds me of it.

The feel is so overly carbonated that it's harsh and prickly. It's almost too harsh to drink.

I drained poured this, because I should not undergo torture while drinking beer. (577 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -21.5%

Pours a cloudy piss yellow colour that essentially looks like, well, a bit darker version of your typical lemonade. Eh.

The aroma is overpowered by an abundance of lemon. It's all lemon all the time. I got nothing else.

The flavour is more of the same: it's basically like drinking a glass of lemonade. I don't detect any hops, malt, wheat, etc. Just a lot of lemonade. This is a beer, isn't it? Mouthfeel is light, crisp and refreshing, but not very beer-like.

If I wanted a damn lemonade I'd drink one. I wanted and was expecting a beer, and that's not what I got. I assume this is what those Hard Lemonade things taste like, and if so I don't know how people can consistently drink them. I enjoy the Leine Sunset Wheat. I was not at all happy with this one. Don't bother. (777 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

To start with some good things, this beer does its job at quenching your thirst If you grab a cold one on a hot summer day. It's pretty refreshing too.
Did I enjoy it? -Not really.
It's too citrusy, just too much lemon flavor and nothing else. It tastes like a cheap drink to get a sorority girl drunk.
I couldn't even finish the entire bottle because it was too carbonated to the point it was almost harsh. I didn't feel like I was drinking a beer; it felt like I was drinking a soda. It was sugary and the aftertaste was somewhat perfume-like and gross.
Overall, it was a mediocre drink with faint grainy/ wheat taste. Nothing but lemons, lemons, and lemons. I'm not drinking this again. (691 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -22.1%

Since the beer selection at the renaissance festival was limited to Coors products, and I was not in the mood for mead, I pretty much stuck with this for an afternoon.

Poured a murky brown-ish gold with some carbonation. What little head was there evaporated within a few minutes.

Aroma was slightly spicy with some citrus hints, but I"m also giving that edge to the lime wedge they gave me. Guess they were short of lemons that day...

As far as taste goes, a crisp start gives was to some malt flavor. Sugar (honey) was abundant throughout.

Mouthfeel was fine as this was the paramount reason to have a beer in the hot sun at a festival. Since the ABV was relatively mild, you could knock this back most of an afternoon and be fine.

For what it's worth, this isn't the worst beer in the world. Is it great? Heavens no. But if it's sunny, you're outside for a couple of hours and have to quench that thirst, you could do a lot worse. (941 characters)

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company