2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Leinenkugel's Summer ShandyLeinenkugel's Summer Shandy

Ratings: 2066

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)
View: Beers (34) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,066 | Reviews: 520 | Show All Ratings:
Overlord

1.18/5  rDev -62.3%

This. was. terrible.

Beer shouldn't taste like lemonade. I'm not even going to bother with the five classic categories, as I'm not convinced this is beer and deserves that level of respect. It smells of lemons, it tastes like lemons, and it's like drinking carbonated lemonaid. Bad lemonaid.

At some point in the brewing process, didn't someone raise their hand and say: "this is a bad, bad product"?

04-05-2008 09:12:11 | More by Overlord
Beertron

1.2/5  rDev -61.7%

First things first...

I've already had this "beer" and abhorred it. I'm reviewing it to detail exactly why its so bad.

Additionally, how is one to review this thing? It's listed under the category of American Pale Wheat Ale but it doesn't seem to fit in there. It's so unlike anything I've ever drank (anything alcoholic at least) that it should be in some other category -- probably Fruit/Vegetable Beers or something. Anyhow, I looked through some of the other beers in this category and saw Capital's Island Wheat and Bell's Oberon (uh oh), so I guess I'll have to review it with those in mind...

This comes from a sample bottle from the distributor. No information on it whatsoever (except that I'm not to resell it). We begin...

A - This poured 1" of pale white head that disappeared in less than 5 seconds, leaving a thin white covering. Extremely cloudy (couldn't even see my fingers through this stuff when held to light!!) soft straw hue, not unlike the color of lemonade. Pretty dang carbonated.

S - Light yeasty scent of sourdough which is pleasant until the end, when a battalion of artificial lemon smells invade. Lemonhead candy, Country Time Lemonade instant-mix powder, lemon Jolly Ranchers, etc. Not unpleasant, but not what I want my beer to smell like.

T - Unreal. This tastes like carbonated water with a small splash of artificial lemon in it -- like if you poured generic lemonade out of a can over ice and let it sit until it was fully watered-down. Carbonation is fierce and if there's any malt flavor in here, the bubbles have effectively destroyed it. Considering how overbearing the artificial lemon scent is, I find it hard to believe how subdued the lemon flavor is. I've honestly never had a beer with this little beer flavor before -- I can't taste malt, wheat, hops or even alcohol...it's fascinating in that regard.

M - Light and mega-effervescent. Sparkling mineral water.

D - Difficult to judge. I'd be willing to bet that I could drink a case of this stuff without acquiring either a buzz or a discernible flavor, but you'd have to put a gun to my head first. For the average BA, the only reason you'd even take a fourth sip is out of sheer disbelief.

This "beer" is so bad that its amazing on a number of levels. It makes you wonder exactly how this became a product. Its staggering to think that someone tasted this and decided that it was good and that it should be marketed. I'm pretty sure that this beer was created exclusively for people that hate beer. Occasionally, I could find a benefit to that -- like that it might help folks who normally don't like beer make the switch -- but anyone who likes this stuff will never like good beer.

My continuing fascination with this stuff led me to perform an experiment. I took a warm can of Country Time lemonade and mixed it with straight carbonated water in a 1:10 ratio (one part "lemonade" to 10 parts water). It's resemblance to this "beer" was uncanny -- a few of my staff members couldn't even figure out which was which. Personally, I didn't find them to be identical -- I actually found the water/lemonade mixture to be better. Honestly, I could certainly see someone finding this refreshing on a hot summer day but a bottle of good sparkling water and a lemon wedge would be cheaper and tastier.

This beer is so terrible that its almost unbelievable. But (and I say this with complete seriousness) you absolutely have to try it for yourself!! It will blow your mind.

03-31-2007 20:43:10 | More by Beertron
danno77

1.23/5  rDev -60.7%

Tried this beer several times out of a bottle, but just couldn't get myself to enjoy any of it. The apprearance was cloudy much like the sunset wheat. Once poured into a glass and straight from the bottle, it smelled of terrible artifical lemon. I was unsure if I was about to drink a shandy or lemon pine sol. The taste was bad enough to make Kool Aid Man gag. It tasted of the most artifical lemon flavor mixed with flat soda water. The mouthfeel was terrible as well, because the carbonation was doing a nasty number on my tongue. The overall drinkibility was awful. This is by far the worst beer I have sampled of the Leinenkugel's line or from any brewery for that matter.

05-24-2007 19:22:09 | More by danno77
pabstsmear

New Hampshire

1.23/5  rDev -60.7%

I purchased this beer in a limited edition case of their seasonal beers. This brew looks like lemonade when poured into a glass with a trace of carbonation. It smells like lemonade, but tastes like lemon furniture polish. I'll save the rest for my brother in-law when he visits...he'll drink anything

04-28-2008 21:17:26 | More by pabstsmear
Faro

1.25/5  rDev -60.1%

This sounded good on paper. Lemonade, meet a wheat beer. Well, if they had used a decent lemonade and a mediocre wheat beer then maybe they would have had something. All this is, is a sickly, sweet mess on top of a less than mediocre wheat beer. Yuck.

11-18-2008 04:40:42 | More by Faro
hustlesworth

1.25/5  rDev -60.1%

A- murky lemon yellow. bif foaming white head fizzles down fast with some spots of lace left behind. little bits of yeast float about in the brew.

S- lemon candy and dish soap with no other detectable aromas.

T- artificial and medicinal, lemon soap, some plain white bread in the finish with an unpleasant aftertaste.

MF- thin, fizzy, and starchy feeling. not all that refreshing due to the strange flavor.

D- i've made my own radlers by mixing home made lemonade with a good german beer, but this is undrinkable for me.

12-08-2008 06:38:22 | More by hustlesworth
AgentZero

1.25/5  rDev -60.1%

A - A hazy yellow color with a big white head, no lacing.

S - Smells like someone pissed in some lemonade. Seriously, that's what it smells like. Truly horrible skunked lemon and malts.

T - This is one of the all-time worst beers I have ever tasted. Disgusting, tastes like fizzy lemonade that has gone bad with a little bit of malt in it. I actually think I'd rather have a wine cooler.

M - A bit watery, and way carbonated. I don't know that it's super bad, but it's sure not adding anything to the experience.

D - It tastes so repulsive I couldn't get more than about a quarter of the way through it, and I really tried.

Serving type: can

07-20-2010 21:22:40 | More by AgentZero
sleazo

1.3/5  rDev -58.5%

This sounded like a good idea after a sweltering hot Cubs game. Little did I know that I was wrong. This comes straight at you with an artificial lemon scent and taste. This "lemon" taste masks any traces of malt or hops. A real Shandy is refreshing, this tastes more like Mr Clean. mouthfeel was light. I didn't finish this one.

I would recommend mixing fresh squeezed lemonade with a decent lager. This is more like a Smiroff ice type artificial tasting malternative

08-06-2007 04:32:07 | More by sleazo
mikesgroove

South Carolina

1.38/5  rDev -55.9%

What have I gotten myself into here. I am no where near a fan of this beer, but I had one sitting in the fridge and in the sake of fairness had to give it a try. Served as cold as I could, and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 11/10/2008.

The pour was, well pathetic. An almost clear liquid coming forward with only the slightest bit of a tint toward the pale golden color. Lots of carbonation here was readily apparent as it just ripped toward the surface like seltzer water. A decent head formed on the pour, but then fell back as things started to drag on.

The aroma was a step above horrible for me. Nothing here but a terrible artificial lemon smell that was light, and at the same time sickingly sweet. The flavor was even worse though. This was one of those that I literally gagged on when I took a sip. Cheap, like a bad sprite. There was just way too much carbonation that made it feel even lighter then it was, which was saying a lot. But the flavor lacked any real depth, no character to it at all. Just a light grain, malt beverage that was overloaded with too much lemon.

Utterly a wreck, this one ended in a drain pour, which I seriously hate to do. This may actually only be like my second drain pour, it was just that bad. In the future I would not make this mistake again.

11-13-2008 11:53:44 | More by mikesgroove
PorterLambic

1.45/5  rDev -53.7%

My nephew thought I would love this brew since I'm such a fan of beer and lemonade.

Pours a cloudy straw yellow with an off-white head. Retention is poor, dropping to a thin film very quickly. No yeast noticeable or any indication of bottle-conditioning to explain the haziness.
Smell is forceful, all lemon meringue pie and lemon peel with a whiff of floral. Not much in the way of balance but with this style I wasn't expecting too much here. All scents are completely artificial.
Taste is even more forceful and completely artificial in nature. All lemon pledge with faint floral hops. Nothing else.
Light bodied, medium effervescence. Slightly oily texture. There is nothing in this beer to indicate it is a beer. It seems to be more of a lab experiment that some uneducated person or persons thought might pass as a beer. They were so wrong. Can't see the attraction to this one. Not refreshing at all. Gave the rest of the bottle, nearly 8 oz., to someone who wanted it.

11-22-2012 21:23:14 | More by PorterLambic
mhewes

Colorado

1.5/5  rDev -52.1%

A : Pours a hazy golden yellow color with good head

S : Mainly lemon and wheat. Not much really going on

T : Extremely sour lemon. So much that it was just undrinkable.

M : Good carbonation, light bodied

D : I don't plan on getting this one again. Couldn't finish the glass.

06-01-2008 01:52:07 | More by mhewes
bsp77

1.5/5  rDev -52.1%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into clear plastic cup.

Appearance: Opaque light yellow with almost no head.

Smell: Sweet lemonade, slight wheat malt.

Taste: Tastes like bad lemonade with some bad wheat beer thrown in.

Feel: High tingly carbonation, thin body. Does not feel like beer.

Drinkability: Wretched. Either give me a lemonade or give me a beer. Just not this.

06-26-2010 01:10:04 | More by bsp77
lionking

1.53/5  rDev -51.1%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance. Cloudy lemonade like appearance in the glass. Some head in the glass, about one finger.

Smell. Smells like lemon, not lemonade, more like Real Lemon lemon juice concentrate.

Taste. Dry taste. Obviously lots of lemons.

Mouthfeel. Carbonated. Reminds me of a wine cooler or sparkling wine. This reminds of the a malt based wine cooler rather than a beer. In PA malt coolers are solid at beer distributors while wine based coolers are sold at the state stores. At least that was the case back in the mid 80s when these types of drinsks were popular. I try never to refuse a beer, but i dont think this was a beer. I gave it to my wife and she enjoyed it.

12-13-2008 01:35:02 | More by lionking
MbpBugeye

1.53/5  rDev -51.1%

A little gift from above, left on my doorstep. Thoroughly chilled and poured into a Perfect Pint. Split with a friend, we didn't want to get too drunk.

Appearance
I had to stop for a hearty laugh at this beer's flaccid expense. The appearance is easily among the least beer-looking beers out there. Its really hazy, which is fine, but the color is so extremely unnatural its disturbing. The yellow is so bright it makes one think of a cheap can of CountryTime Lemonade. The white head fizzes up aggressively and loudly. Blink and you'll miss it; there's no retention. So far it has me thinking soft drink more than beer. But I think that's the goal here.

Aroma
Lemon Heads.

Taste
The lemon flavorings are very strong. They even impart a sturdy tartness, despite being very candy oriented. The beer is highly sweetened and there is only a few hidden signs of anything actually beer. There might be a little bit of a wheat base here. No hops.

Mouthfeel
Very sharp and very thin. It amazes me how beers like this, with such fervent carbonation, still manage to have no head. A sweetness builds a layer of sugars on the palate while the lemon tartness stabs at it.

Overall
A beer for people who think they won't like any beer. The trouble is, drinking this will really turn you off of beer.

05-15-2011 20:23:44 | More by MbpBugeye
buyBinboaVodka

1.6/5  rDev -48.9%

I had this beer on tap served with a flight of beers - 5oz pour.

A - It was served in a 5oz flight glass, a cloudy golden apperance. By the time it got to me there was no head left and no lacing around the glass. This was evident by the size of the rest of the pours.

S - Smells like lemonade, and uhh medicinal smell? Kind of like Emergen C or Airborne. Not much going on here except that powerful citrus aroma.

T - It tastes way worse then it smells. Like straight up medicine that you do not want to drink anymore. Just plain bad. Its not even sweet! I just taste chalky powdered airborne in there.

M - Very thin with high carbonation...like fizzy bubbles everywhere.

O - I would never buy this beer, nor will I drink it even on a hot summer day. I just feel like I am taking medication rather than drinking a beer. Worth a try just to say you had it.

07-18-2011 10:21:25 | More by buyBinboaVodka
brdc

1.63/5  rDev -47.9%

Small capped bottle poured into a pint.

Yellowish in color, white head with near zero retention.
Very faint taste or aroma, it just feels like their Leinenkugel Red was watered down. It is hard to even comment about this very poor offering, the worse from Leinenkugel I ever had.
Do not waste your time.

09-01-2008 02:11:05 | More by brdc
yesyouam

1.65/5  rDev -47.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy is a cloudy, bright yellow brew with a thin, white head that fades to a blotch. It has an aroma of lemonade and beer breath. Lemon zest is detected. It's very light bodied, lively and gritty. It leaves the mouth feeling like it's covered in sand. It has a stale, generic beer flavor with a dose of lemon zest. There's a little sweetness, bitterness and sourness. This isn't pleasant. I drank one of these after mowing the lawn and it did not quench my thirst. This displeases me.

05-25-2011 17:44:39 | More by yesyouam
jenbys2001

Japan

1.68/5  rDev -46.3%

Unfortunately, in spite of my love for Leine's Sunset Wheat, I have yet to enjoy any of their other varieties. Although not as sickening as the Berry Weiss, this beer is no exception. It smells and tastes exactly like watered down lemonade. It reminds of Mike's Hard Lemonade, which I dislike, as it tastes nothing like beer. I imagine Leinenkugel is attempting to copy Radler (A combination of beer and Sprite), as this made me think of the Radler I drank in Germany. However, there is not enough beer flavor to this brew to make it enjoyable. I couldn't finish even one bottle.

05-05-2008 14:48:41 | More by jenbys2001
Tenzin

Nebraska

1.7/5  rDev -45.7%

Although there us a little maltiness detectable in this product, the predominant taste is much like cheap lemonade manufactured with reconstituted lemon juice. The alcohol content is so low, you can get much tastier summer refreshment by drinking good lemonade and adding alcohol of your choice. Dion't waste your money on this product.

08-31-2013 22:34:27 | More by Tenzin
jsprain1

1.73/5  rDev -44.7%

A- Pale yellow, fizzy white head lasts only for a little while.
S- A bit worried here. It smells overwhelmingly of lemon. There is very little beer aroma. Maybe just a touch of wheat characteristics. The thing about it is, I like lemonade well enough, but the artificial aroma on this one just lingers.
T- Yeah... It immediately is lemon. Lemon beginning, middle, and end. Which is cool and all, but there is not much beer to it. I mean beside the slightest bit of a grainy/wheat flavor, there is nothing but artificial lemon.
M- I guess the body is substantial enough considering a pretty significant portion of the bevarage is lemonade. Fizzy at first, but flattens out quickly.
O- I recognize that there is potential for a shandy. That said, the beer aspects are absent here, and the lemonade charactersitics taste strongly artificial. Thus, this one didn't work on almost any level for me.

06-29-2011 07:05:02 | More by jsprain1
jj21

1.75/5  rDev -44.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Where to start. Pours VERY unnatural cloudy yellow with a decent, fluffy white head.

You can smell this beer from across the room- and not in a good way. The artificial aroma of "Mr.Clean-Lemon" smacks your nose- again, not in a good way. Taste- Oh boy. Astringent Lemon flavors with some wheat. It may not drink well, but I'll bet it shines your floors real nice! I can't detect any hops in this beer. Flavor is very artificial.

How about some good things!
Drink VERY cold. I could see how this could be refreshing in hot weather. I was anxious to try this and unfortunately, I was let down. I wish they had actually used lemons and not "Lemonade Flavor" for this. I think it could have been decent. However...

Swing and a miss.

4/11/08
Just revisited this again to give it another chance. Why do I do stuff like this to myself. I think it's actually worse.

03-23-2007 15:59:55 | More by jj21
thydarkprevails

1.75/5  rDev -44.1%

On draft at a ball game. Cloudy light yellow with little head. Aroma is lemonade, sugar, light bread, and very mild hops. Taste is lemon, sugar, and mild beer flavors. It’s like 4.2% abv kool aid. Thin mouthfeel. Meh. Way more of a lemonade than a beer for sure.

06-03-2012 22:49:31 | More by thydarkprevails
jwinship83

1.8/5  rDev -42.5%

12oz bottle from a mixed 12 pack poured into a pint glass.

A- this one pours out a very pale and hazy yellow colored body with a small white head on it. the head vanishes before my eyes and leaves behind absolutely no lacing.

S- the odor here reminds me of an off brand powdered lemonade mix. theres nothing that smells like a beer here.

T- the taste is all about that powdered lemonade that i could smell. except that it tastes like theres too much water in it. once again, this really doesnt taste like a beer.

M- light bodied with lots of carbonation. watery.

D- believe it or not, i liked this one more on tap. it seemed a lot more flavorful that way. this was my last time drinking this one.

06-25-2010 15:10:55 | More by jwinship83
skiboy

1.88/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Well, it come in a 12 oz brown longneck so I guess it's beer, but you could toss this one back like it was -- umm -- lemonade. I would have drunk this when I was a teen who liked the idea of drinking beer but not the beer taste. Did I mention it's really lemony -- like if you drank one immediately after reading this, you'd think "Wow, that was more lemony than I had expected". Lemony is a nice word -- try working it into a sentence today.

07-22-2008 17:37:51 | More by skiboy
PLANETBUSTERRAVE

1.9/5  rDev -39.3%

LEMONADE WEEE! BEER WEEE! I am excited, uhh until I tasted it.

This I will admit is my first shandy, which I must say was very disappointing, the pour was what got me excited, it flowed from the bottle a hazy pale yellow that formed a thick white head, the retention time was surprisingly fast, although it did fizzle down to a good lacing that stuck to the sides of the glass. The hint of carbonation made it look playful and inviting insinuating a true summertime feel. The sweet scents of lemons filled my nostrils when I sniffed the glass, a hint of wheat peeked in, which should have been my first inkling as to what laid ahead.

I was anticipating the first sip the thought of lemonade and beer made me happy, until I got it in my mouth. The excitement disappeared as fast as the head did, it was blam nothing, sure there were lemons, not sweet lemons, not flavorful lemons, not even sour lemons, just lemons plain lemons, flat lemons, its like the lemons decide to party crash and left the wheat out on the porch staring in the window longing for attention.

As were my expectations now, the first gulp felt thick and creamy. It looked like it was going to save the day for me, but it only stayed that way for a little bit. It decides to turn watery making me cry inside. In the end, this beer, felt like a good story gone wrong. It made me want it until I had it, the only way I can truly describe it is if Mary Shelly decide to brew beer waited for it and at that moment she tasted it she had an epiphany and came up with the story of Frankenstein, but, not the story we know and love today, no the first draft, the draft of a story that when finished looks awesome and feels awesome, but when you come back later and re-read it you realize how much it could have been better so you edit and re-edit it until you get a great story, that is what this needs it needs an edit, an edit to finish what should be a great story.

07-29-2008 15:07:57 | More by PLANETBUSTERRAVE