Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007

Reviews: 603 | Hads: 3,299
1.43/5  rDev -54.3%

What have I gotten myself into here. I am no where near a fan of this beer, but I had one sitting in the fridge and in the sake of fairness had to give it a try. Served as cold as I could, and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 11/10/2008.

The pour was, well pathetic. An almost clear liquid coming forward with only the slightest bit of a tint toward the pale golden color. Lots of carbonation here was readily apparent as it just ripped toward the surface like seltzer water. A decent head formed on the pour, but then fell back as things started to drag on.

The aroma was a step above horrible for me. Nothing here but a terrible artificial lemon smell that was light, and at the same time sickingly sweet. The flavor was even worse though. This was one of those that I literally gagged on when I took a sip. Cheap, like a bad sprite. There was just way too much carbonation that made it feel even lighter then it was, which was saying a lot. But the flavor lacked any real depth, no character to it at all. Just a light grain, malt beverage that was overloaded with too much lemon.

Utterly a wreck, this one ended in a drain pour, which I seriously hate to do. This may actually only be like my second drain pour, it was just that bad. In the future I would not make this mistake again. (1,310 characters)

1.51/5  rDev -51.8%

My nephew thought I would love this brew since I'm such a fan of beer and lemonade.

Pours a cloudy straw yellow with an off-white head. Retention is poor, dropping to a thin film very quickly. No yeast noticeable or any indication of bottle-conditioning to explain the haziness.
Smell is forceful, all lemon meringue pie and lemon peel with a whiff of floral. Not much in the way of balance but with this style I wasn't expecting too much here. All scents are completely artificial.
Taste is even more forceful and completely artificial in nature. All lemon pledge with faint floral hops. Nothing else.
Light bodied, medium effervescence. Slightly oily texture. There is nothing in this beer to indicate it is a beer. It seems to be more of a lab experiment that some uneducated person or persons thought might pass as a beer. They were so wrong. Can't see the attraction to this one. Not refreshing at all. Gave the rest of the bottle, nearly 8 oz., to someone who wanted it. (980 characters)

1.54/5  rDev -50.8%

A little gift from above, left on my doorstep. Thoroughly chilled and poured into a Perfect Pint. Split with a friend, we didn't want to get too drunk.

Appearance
I had to stop for a hearty laugh at this beer's flaccid expense. The appearance is easily among the least beer-looking beers out there. Its really hazy, which is fine, but the color is so extremely unnatural its disturbing. The yellow is so bright it makes one think of a cheap can of CountryTime Lemonade. The white head fizzes up aggressively and loudly. Blink and you'll miss it; there's no retention. So far it has me thinking soft drink more than beer. But I think that's the goal here.

Aroma
Lemon Heads.

Taste
The lemon flavorings are very strong. They even impart a sturdy tartness, despite being very candy oriented. The beer is highly sweetened and there is only a few hidden signs of anything actually beer. There might be a little bit of a wheat base here. No hops.

Mouthfeel
Very sharp and very thin. It amazes me how beers like this, with such fervent carbonation, still manage to have no head. A sweetness builds a layer of sugars on the palate while the lemon tartness stabs at it.

Overall
A beer for people who think they won't like any beer. The trouble is, drinking this will really turn you off of beer. (1,294 characters)

1.56/5  rDev -50.2%

A : Pours a hazy golden yellow color with good head

S : Mainly lemon and wheat. Not much really going on

T : Extremely sour lemon. So much that it was just undrinkable.

M : Good carbonation, light bodied

D : I don't plan on getting this one again. Couldn't finish the glass. (278 characters)

1.59/5  rDev -49.2%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into clear plastic cup.

Appearance: Opaque light yellow with almost no head.

Smell: Sweet lemonade, slight wheat malt.

Taste: Tastes like bad lemonade with some bad wheat beer thrown in.

Feel: High tingly carbonation, thin body. Does not feel like beer.

Drinkability: Wretched. Either give me a lemonade or give me a beer. Just not this. (376 characters)

1.59/5  rDev -49.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

THis beer tastes like wet sock water and lemon peels. You would have to be in a pretty desperate state for this to be refreshing. I kept taking drinks expecting it to get better not believing it was as horrible as it seemed at first taste, sadly it is. (252 characters)

1.61/5  rDev -48.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance. Cloudy lemonade like appearance in the glass. Some head in the glass, about one finger.

Smell. Smells like lemon, not lemonade, more like Real Lemon lemon juice concentrate.

Taste. Dry taste. Obviously lots of lemons.

Mouthfeel. Carbonated. Reminds me of a wine cooler or sparkling wine. This reminds of the a malt based wine cooler rather than a beer. In PA malt coolers are solid at beer distributors while wine based coolers are sold at the state stores. At least that was the case back in the mid 80s when these types of drinsks were popular. I try never to refuse a beer, but i dont think this was a beer. I gave it to my wife and she enjoyed it. (708 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -47.9%

Small capped bottle poured into a pint.

Yellowish in color, white head with near zero retention.
Very faint taste or aroma, it just feels like their Leinenkugel Red was watered down. It is hard to even comment about this very poor offering, the worse from Leinenkugel I ever had.
Do not waste your time. (305 characters)

1.66/5  rDev -47%

I had this beer on tap served with a flight of beers - 5oz pour.

A - It was served in a 5oz flight glass, a cloudy golden apperance. By the time it got to me there was no head left and no lacing around the glass. This was evident by the size of the rest of the pours.

S - Smells like lemonade, and uhh medicinal smell? Kind of like Emergen C or Airborne. Not much going on here except that powerful citrus aroma.

T - It tastes way worse then it smells. Like straight up medicine that you do not want to drink anymore. Just plain bad. Its not even sweet! I just taste chalky powdered airborne in there.

M - Very thin with high carbonation...like fizzy bubbles everywhere.

O - I would never buy this beer, nor will I drink it even on a hot summer day. I just feel like I am taking medication rather than drinking a beer. Worth a try just to say you had it. (860 characters)

1.69/5  rDev -46%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy is a cloudy, bright yellow brew with a thin, white head that fades to a blotch. It has an aroma of lemonade and beer breath. Lemon zest is detected. It's very light bodied, lively and gritty. It leaves the mouth feeling like it's covered in sand. It has a stale, generic beer flavor with a dose of lemon zest. There's a little sweetness, bitterness and sourness. This isn't pleasant. I drank one of these after mowing the lawn and it did not quench my thirst. This displeases me. (507 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -45.7%

Unfortunately, in spite of my love for Leine's Sunset Wheat, I have yet to enjoy any of their other varieties. Although not as sickening as the Berry Weiss, this beer is no exception. It smells and tastes exactly like watered down lemonade. It reminds of Mike's Hard Lemonade, which I dislike, as it tastes nothing like beer. I imagine Leinenkugel is attempting to copy Radler (A combination of beer and Sprite), as this made me think of the Radler I drank in Germany. However, there is not enough beer flavor to this brew to make it enjoyable. I couldn't finish even one bottle. (579 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -44.7%

On draft at a ball game. Cloudy light yellow with little head. Aroma is lemonade, sugar, light bread, and very mild hops. Taste is lemon, sugar, and mild beer flavors. It’s like 4.2% abv kool aid. Thin mouthfeel. Meh. Way more of a lemonade than a beer for sure. (264 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -44.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Where to start. Pours VERY unnatural cloudy yellow with a decent, fluffy white head.

You can smell this beer from across the room- and not in a good way. The artificial aroma of "Mr.Clean-Lemon" smacks your nose- again, not in a good way. Taste- Oh boy. Astringent Lemon flavors with some wheat. It may not drink well, but I'll bet it shines your floors real nice! I can't detect any hops in this beer. Flavor is very artificial.

How about some good things!
Drink VERY cold. I could see how this could be refreshing in hot weather. I was anxious to try this and unfortunately, I was let down. I wish they had actually used lemons and not "Lemonade Flavor" for this. I think it could have been decent. However...

Swing and a miss.

4/11/08
Just revisited this again to give it another chance. Why do I do stuff like this to myself. I think it's actually worse. (863 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -43.8%

Although there us a little maltiness detectable in this product, the predominant taste is much like cheap lemonade manufactured with reconstituted lemon juice. The alcohol content is so low, you can get much tastier summer refreshment by drinking good lemonade and adding alcohol of your choice. Dion't waste your money on this product. (336 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -43.8%

A- Pale yellow, fizzy white head lasts only for a little while.
S- A bit worried here. It smells overwhelmingly of lemon. There is very little beer aroma. Maybe just a touch of wheat characteristics. The thing about it is, I like lemonade well enough, but the artificial aroma on this one just lingers.
T- Yeah... It immediately is lemon. Lemon beginning, middle, and end. Which is cool and all, but there is not much beer to it. I mean beside the slightest bit of a grainy/wheat flavor, there is nothing but artificial lemon.
M- I guess the body is substantial enough considering a pretty significant portion of the bevarage is lemonade. Fizzy at first, but flattens out quickly.
O- I recognize that there is potential for a shandy. That said, the beer aspects are absent here, and the lemonade charactersitics taste strongly artificial. Thus, this one didn't work on almost any level for me. (894 characters)

1.81/5  rDev -42.2%

12oz bottle from a mixed 12 pack poured into a pint glass.

A- this one pours out a very pale and hazy yellow colored body with a small white head on it. the head vanishes before my eyes and leaves behind absolutely no lacing.

S- the odor here reminds me of an off brand powdered lemonade mix. theres nothing that smells like a beer here.

T- the taste is all about that powdered lemonade that i could smell. except that it tastes like theres too much water in it. once again, this really doesnt taste like a beer.

M- light bodied with lots of carbonation. watery.

D- believe it or not, i liked this one more on tap. it seemed a lot more flavorful that way. this was my last time drinking this one. (704 characters)

1.82/5  rDev -41.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

Poured into tumbler. Dirty yellow color. Smell is lemon and yeast. Taste is like a dirty lemonade. Light carbonation. No head. Decent lacing. Did not like this at all. (167 characters)

1.9/5  rDev -39.3%

To tell you the truth, I was looking for Blue Moon and they didn't have it (general gas station) so I saw this (liked the label), read that it was light, ok.
OMG, This is my impression right after a sip:
>> What the hell is that after-taste (kinda perfumy)... UGG

Sorry, every sip I take gives me that impression and it wasn't a good one.

I will not buy this beer again.

/me (386 characters)

1.91/5  rDev -39%

12oz bottle

Pours a piss water yellow color with a top of white head.

Fizzy water with lemonade and light biscuit malts.

Lemonade. Plenty of lemons with pithy citrus peel and crystallized sugar. That's pretty much it...basically lemonade and adjunct.

Lighter body, decent carbonation, sticky and sweet on the tongue. Definitely a gimmick and not my style at all, but I can see a market for it during the summertime. (422 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -38.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Well, it come in a 12 oz brown longneck so I guess it's beer, but you could toss this one back like it was -- umm -- lemonade. I would have drunk this when I was a teen who liked the idea of drinking beer but not the beer taste. Did I mention it's really lemony -- like if you drank one immediately after reading this, you'd think "Wow, that was more lemony than I had expected". Lemony is a nice word -- try working it into a sentence today. (442 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -38.3%

I had this beer on draft in a american pint glass. Little to no head.

Appearance: Almost like a berlinner weiss, very cloudy and unfiltered look. Not bad but not the best or appealing beer's.

Smell: Very sweet smelling, very little to no malt notes with this one. Smelled like lemonade and made me feel like I was about to drink a wine cooler.

Taste: This did not taste good, extremely sweet and almost hurt my teeth. This is borderline wine cooler. Very bitter lemon taste and mostly sugar is what i picked up.

Mouthfeel: Not the worst mouthfeel but nothing great. Pretty sugary and made me pucker up after each sip.

Not the worst beer ive had... (652 characters)

1.94/5  rDev -38%

A - Cloudy pale yellow (almost tan) brew with a big fluffy three finger head that settles to a thin persistent cap with a small amount of lace left on the glass.

S - Lemon rind zest hits my nose as soon as I poured this. Just pure lemonade aroma at first, then a little bit of cereal too.

T - The taste is less acrid than the nose in that it's more like lemonade than pure lemon rind. Reminds me of a lemon shake-up that you get at an amusement park. After about five seconds the strong lemon flavor washed away, and I'm left with what tastes exactly like Cheerios cereal.

M - Mild carbonation and a slick oily sensation add up to a less than pleasing mouthfeel. The finish is pretty clean with some graininess.

D - Pretty rotgut stuff. It's not all bad, and I would drink one again if offered to me for free, but I probably won't buy this again...although my fiance loves it so I probably will buy it again for her. (928 characters)

1.95/5  rDev -37.7%

LEMONADE WEEE! BEER WEEE! I am excited, uhh until I tasted it.

This I will admit is my first shandy, which I must say was very disappointing, the pour was what got me excited, it flowed from the bottle a hazy pale yellow that formed a thick white head, the retention time was surprisingly fast, although it did fizzle down to a good lacing that stuck to the sides of the glass. The hint of carbonation made it look playful and inviting insinuating a true summertime feel. The sweet scents of lemons filled my nostrils when I sniffed the glass, a hint of wheat peeked in, which should have been my first inkling as to what laid ahead.

I was anticipating the first sip the thought of lemonade and beer made me happy, until I got it in my mouth. The excitement disappeared as fast as the head did, it was blam nothing, sure there were lemons, not sweet lemons, not flavorful lemons, not even sour lemons, just lemons plain lemons, flat lemons, its like the lemons decide to party crash and left the wheat out on the porch staring in the window longing for attention.

As were my expectations now, the first gulp felt thick and creamy. It looked like it was going to save the day for me, but it only stayed that way for a little bit. It decides to turn watery making me cry inside. In the end, this beer, felt like a good story gone wrong. It made me want it until I had it, the only way I can truly describe it is if Mary Shelly decide to brew beer waited for it and at that moment she tasted it she had an epiphany and came up with the story of Frankenstein, but, not the story we know and love today, no the first draft, the draft of a story that when finished looks awesome and feels awesome, but when you come back later and re-read it you realize how much it could have been better so you edit and re-edit it until you get a great story, that is what this needs it needs an edit, an edit to finish what should be a great story. (1,931 characters)

1.97/5  rDev -37.1%

Presentation 12 oz bottle poured into my pint glass.

Appearance: An awful looking pale straw colour that looks like a cloudy lemonade with semen in it.

Smell: It smells of sour lemonade that has gone wrong even worse than a mikes hard and really no hint of hops or malts just sour fake lemonade flavour that really kills the senses.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Asinine! really really just terrible nothing good about this beer justifies it except that you can drink it fast but why would you do that when the acid would give you gut rot, I really love Leinies beer but this a an awful product that leaves the worst aftertaste and should never be boughten again I'm going to call them and get my refund back. (709 characters)

1.99/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Ap. Very cloudy golden yellow color with small head that went away quickly. Some nice lacing.
Sm. Crisp strong lemon smell.
Ta. Lemony start to finish. Tastes like liquid lemon drops (the hard candy). Sort of a chemical after taste. Not so good.
Mf. Minimal carbonation, light.
Dr. Let's just say I'm sorry I bought a six-pack instead of a single. If you like the flavor, it would go down very easily. (401 characters)

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company