Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)

1.12/5  rDev -64.4%

1.18/5  rDev -62.5%

This. was. terrible.

Beer shouldn't taste like lemonade. I'm not even going to bother with the five classic categories, as I'm not convinced this is beer and deserves that level of respect. It smells of lemons, it tastes like lemons, and it's like drinking carbonated lemonaid. Bad lemonaid.

At some point in the brewing process, didn't someone raise their hand and say: "this is a bad, bad product"?

1.2/5  rDev -61.9%

1.2/5  rDev -61.9%

First things first...

I've already had this "beer" and abhorred it. I'm reviewing it to detail exactly why its so bad.

Additionally, how is one to review this thing? It's listed under the category of American Pale Wheat Ale but it doesn't seem to fit in there. It's so unlike anything I've ever drank (anything alcoholic at least) that it should be in some other category -- probably Fruit/Vegetable Beers or something. Anyhow, I looked through some of the other beers in this category and saw Capital's Island Wheat and Bell's Oberon (uh oh), so I guess I'll have to review it with those in mind...

This comes from a sample bottle from the distributor. No information on it whatsoever (except that I'm not to resell it). We begin...

A - This poured 1" of pale white head that disappeared in less than 5 seconds, leaving a thin white covering. Extremely cloudy (couldn't even see my fingers through this stuff when held to light!!) soft straw hue, not unlike the color of lemonade. Pretty dang carbonated.

S - Light yeasty scent of sourdough which is pleasant until the end, when a battalion of artificial lemon smells invade. Lemonhead candy, Country Time Lemonade instant-mix powder, lemon Jolly Ranchers, etc. Not unpleasant, but not what I want my beer to smell like.

T - Unreal. This tastes like carbonated water with a small splash of artificial lemon in it -- like if you poured generic lemonade out of a can over ice and let it sit until it was fully watered-down. Carbonation is fierce and if there's any malt flavor in here, the bubbles have effectively destroyed it. Considering how overbearing the artificial lemon scent is, I find it hard to believe how subdued the lemon flavor is. I've honestly never had a beer with this little beer flavor before -- I can't taste malt, wheat, hops or even alcohol...it's fascinating in that regard.

M - Light and mega-effervescent. Sparkling mineral water.

D - Difficult to judge. I'd be willing to bet that I could drink a case of this stuff without acquiring either a buzz or a discernible flavor, but you'd have to put a gun to my head first. For the average BA, the only reason you'd even take a fourth sip is out of sheer disbelief.

This "beer" is so bad that its amazing on a number of levels. It makes you wonder exactly how this became a product. Its staggering to think that someone tasted this and decided that it was good and that it should be marketed. I'm pretty sure that this beer was created exclusively for people that hate beer. Occasionally, I could find a benefit to that -- like that it might help folks who normally don't like beer make the switch -- but anyone who likes this stuff will never like good beer.

My continuing fascination with this stuff led me to perform an experiment. I took a warm can of Country Time lemonade and mixed it with straight carbonated water in a 1:10 ratio (one part "lemonade" to 10 parts water). It's resemblance to this "beer" was uncanny -- a few of my staff members couldn't even figure out which was which. Personally, I didn't find them to be identical -- I actually found the water/lemonade mixture to be better. Honestly, I could certainly see someone finding this refreshing on a hot summer day but a bottle of good sparkling water and a lemon wedge would be cheaper and tastier.

This beer is so terrible that its almost unbelievable. But (and I say this with complete seriousness) you absolutely have to try it for yourself!! It will blow your mind.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company