Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)
View: Beers (32) |  Events

VictorWisc

06-14-2013 07:12:09 | More by VictorWisc
thydarkprevails

1.75/5  rDev -44.1%

On draft at a ball game. Cloudy light yellow with little head. Aroma is lemonade, sugar, light bread, and very mild hops. Taste is lemon, sugar, and mild beer flavors. It’s like 4.2% abv kool aid. Thin mouthfeel. Meh. Way more of a lemonade than a beer for sure.

06-03-2012 22:49:31 | More by thydarkprevails

06-01-2014 17:07:14 | More by TroyS62
jj21

Wisconsin

1.75/5  rDev -44.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Where to start. Pours VERY unnatural cloudy yellow with a decent, fluffy white head.

You can smell this beer from across the room- and not in a good way. The artificial aroma of "Mr.Clean-Lemon" smacks your nose- again, not in a good way. Taste- Oh boy. Astringent Lemon flavors with some wheat. It may not drink well, but I'll bet it shines your floors real nice! I can't detect any hops in this beer. Flavor is very artificial.

How about some good things!
Drink VERY cold. I could see how this could be refreshing in hot weather. I was anxious to try this and unfortunately, I was let down. I wish they had actually used lemons and not "Lemonade Flavor" for this. I think it could have been decent. However...

Swing and a miss.

4/11/08
Just revisited this again to give it another chance. Why do I do stuff like this to myself. I think it's actually worse.

03-23-2007 15:59:55 | More by jj21

skaboom420

10-06-2012 22:13:06 | More by skaboom420
jwinship83

1.8/5  rDev -42.5%

12oz bottle from a mixed 12 pack poured into a pint glass.

A- this one pours out a very pale and hazy yellow colored body with a small white head on it. the head vanishes before my eyes and leaves behind absolutely no lacing.

S- the odor here reminds me of an off brand powdered lemonade mix. theres nothing that smells like a beer here.

T- the taste is all about that powdered lemonade that i could smell. except that it tastes like theres too much water in it. once again, this really doesnt taste like a beer.

M- light bodied with lots of carbonation. watery.

D- believe it or not, i liked this one more on tap. it seemed a lot more flavorful that way. this was my last time drinking this one.

06-25-2010 15:10:55 | More by jwinship83
Mariellenp

New Hampshire

1.83/5  rDev -41.5%

To tell you the truth, I was looking for Blue Moon and they didn't have it (general gas station) so I saw this (liked the label), read that it was light, ok.
OMG, This is my impression right after a sip:
>> What the hell is that after-taste (kinda perfumy)... UGG

Sorry, every sip I take gives me that impression and it wasn't a good one.

I will not buy this beer again.

/me

06-19-2014 19:38:17 | More by Mariellenp
skiboy

1.88/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Well, it come in a 12 oz brown longneck so I guess it's beer, but you could toss this one back like it was -- umm -- lemonade. I would have drunk this when I was a teen who liked the idea of drinking beer but not the beer taste. Did I mention it's really lemony -- like if you drank one immediately after reading this, you'd think "Wow, that was more lemony than I had expected". Lemony is a nice word -- try working it into a sentence today.

07-22-2008 17:37:51 | More by skiboy
PLANETBUSTERRAVE

1.9/5  rDev -39.3%

LEMONADE WEEE! BEER WEEE! I am excited, uhh until I tasted it.

This I will admit is my first shandy, which I must say was very disappointing, the pour was what got me excited, it flowed from the bottle a hazy pale yellow that formed a thick white head, the retention time was surprisingly fast, although it did fizzle down to a good lacing that stuck to the sides of the glass. The hint of carbonation made it look playful and inviting insinuating a true summertime feel. The sweet scents of lemons filled my nostrils when I sniffed the glass, a hint of wheat peeked in, which should have been my first inkling as to what laid ahead.

I was anticipating the first sip the thought of lemonade and beer made me happy, until I got it in my mouth. The excitement disappeared as fast as the head did, it was blam nothing, sure there were lemons, not sweet lemons, not flavorful lemons, not even sour lemons, just lemons plain lemons, flat lemons, its like the lemons decide to party crash and left the wheat out on the porch staring in the window longing for attention.

As were my expectations now, the first gulp felt thick and creamy. It looked like it was going to save the day for me, but it only stayed that way for a little bit. It decides to turn watery making me cry inside. In the end, this beer, felt like a good story gone wrong. It made me want it until I had it, the only way I can truly describe it is if Mary Shelly decide to brew beer waited for it and at that moment she tasted it she had an epiphany and came up with the story of Frankenstein, but, not the story we know and love today, no the first draft, the draft of a story that when finished looks awesome and feels awesome, but when you come back later and re-read it you realize how much it could have been better so you edit and re-edit it until you get a great story, that is what this needs it needs an edit, an edit to finish what should be a great story.

07-29-2008 15:07:57 | More by PLANETBUSTERRAVE
FRANKLIN88

1.9/5  rDev -39.3%

I had this beer on draft in a american pint glass. Little to no head.

Appearance: Almost like a berlinner weiss, very cloudy and unfiltered look. Not bad but not the best or appealing beer's.

Smell: Very sweet smelling, very little to no malt notes with this one. Smelled like lemonade and made me feel like I was about to drink a wine cooler.

Taste: This did not taste good, extremely sweet and almost hurt my teeth. This is borderline wine cooler. Very bitter lemon taste and mostly sugar is what i picked up.

Mouthfeel: Not the worst mouthfeel but nothing great. Pretty sugary and made me pucker up after each sip.

Not the worst beer ive had...

09-03-2012 18:52:15 | More by FRANKLIN88
xnicknj

12oz bottle

Pours a piss water yellow color with a top of white head.

Fizzy water with lemonade and light biscuit malts.

Lemonade. Plenty of lemons with pithy citrus peel and crystallized sugar. That's pretty much it...basically lemonade and adjunct.

Lighter body, decent carbonation, sticky and sweet on the tongue. Definitely a gimmick and not my style at all, but I can see a market for it during the summertime.

11-11-2012 08:33:55 | More by xnicknj
pmcadamis

1.93/5  rDev -38.3%

A - Cloudy pale yellow (almost tan) brew with a big fluffy three finger head that settles to a thin persistent cap with a small amount of lace left on the glass.

S - Lemon rind zest hits my nose as soon as I poured this. Just pure lemonade aroma at first, then a little bit of cereal too.

T - The taste is less acrid than the nose in that it's more like lemonade than pure lemon rind. Reminds me of a lemon shake-up that you get at an amusement park. After about five seconds the strong lemon flavor washed away, and I'm left with what tastes exactly like Cheerios cereal.

M - Mild carbonation and a slick oily sensation add up to a less than pleasing mouthfeel. The finish is pretty clean with some graininess.

D - Pretty rotgut stuff. It's not all bad, and I would drink one again if offered to me for free, but I probably won't buy this again...although my fiance loves it so I probably will buy it again for her.

06-10-2007 14:39:42 | More by pmcadamis