2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Leinenkugel's Summer ShandyLeinenkugel's Summer Shandy

Ratings: 2068

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)
View: Beers (34) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,068 | Reviews: 520 | Show All Ratings:
jj21

1.75/5  rDev -44.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Where to start. Pours VERY unnatural cloudy yellow with a decent, fluffy white head.

You can smell this beer from across the room- and not in a good way. The artificial aroma of "Mr.Clean-Lemon" smacks your nose- again, not in a good way. Taste- Oh boy. Astringent Lemon flavors with some wheat. It may not drink well, but I'll bet it shines your floors real nice! I can't detect any hops in this beer. Flavor is very artificial.

How about some good things!
Drink VERY cold. I could see how this could be refreshing in hot weather. I was anxious to try this and unfortunately, I was let down. I wish they had actually used lemons and not "Lemonade Flavor" for this. I think it could have been decent. However...

Swing and a miss.

4/11/08
Just revisited this again to give it another chance. Why do I do stuff like this to myself. I think it's actually worse.

03-23-2007 15:59:55 | More by jj21
thydarkprevails

1.75/5  rDev -44.1%

On draft at a ball game. Cloudy light yellow with little head. Aroma is lemonade, sugar, light bread, and very mild hops. Taste is lemon, sugar, and mild beer flavors. It’s like 4.2% abv kool aid. Thin mouthfeel. Meh. Way more of a lemonade than a beer for sure.

06-03-2012 22:49:31 | More by thydarkprevails
jwinship83

1.8/5  rDev -42.5%

12oz bottle from a mixed 12 pack poured into a pint glass.

A- this one pours out a very pale and hazy yellow colored body with a small white head on it. the head vanishes before my eyes and leaves behind absolutely no lacing.

S- the odor here reminds me of an off brand powdered lemonade mix. theres nothing that smells like a beer here.

T- the taste is all about that powdered lemonade that i could smell. except that it tastes like theres too much water in it. once again, this really doesnt taste like a beer.

M- light bodied with lots of carbonation. watery.

D- believe it or not, i liked this one more on tap. it seemed a lot more flavorful that way. this was my last time drinking this one.

06-25-2010 15:10:55 | More by jwinship83
skiboy

1.88/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Well, it come in a 12 oz brown longneck so I guess it's beer, but you could toss this one back like it was -- umm -- lemonade. I would have drunk this when I was a teen who liked the idea of drinking beer but not the beer taste. Did I mention it's really lemony -- like if you drank one immediately after reading this, you'd think "Wow, that was more lemony than I had expected". Lemony is a nice word -- try working it into a sentence today.

07-22-2008 17:37:51 | More by skiboy
PLANETBUSTERRAVE

1.9/5  rDev -39.3%

LEMONADE WEEE! BEER WEEE! I am excited, uhh until I tasted it.

This I will admit is my first shandy, which I must say was very disappointing, the pour was what got me excited, it flowed from the bottle a hazy pale yellow that formed a thick white head, the retention time was surprisingly fast, although it did fizzle down to a good lacing that stuck to the sides of the glass. The hint of carbonation made it look playful and inviting insinuating a true summertime feel. The sweet scents of lemons filled my nostrils when I sniffed the glass, a hint of wheat peeked in, which should have been my first inkling as to what laid ahead.

I was anticipating the first sip the thought of lemonade and beer made me happy, until I got it in my mouth. The excitement disappeared as fast as the head did, it was blam nothing, sure there were lemons, not sweet lemons, not flavorful lemons, not even sour lemons, just lemons plain lemons, flat lemons, its like the lemons decide to party crash and left the wheat out on the porch staring in the window longing for attention.

As were my expectations now, the first gulp felt thick and creamy. It looked like it was going to save the day for me, but it only stayed that way for a little bit. It decides to turn watery making me cry inside. In the end, this beer, felt like a good story gone wrong. It made me want it until I had it, the only way I can truly describe it is if Mary Shelly decide to brew beer waited for it and at that moment she tasted it she had an epiphany and came up with the story of Frankenstein, but, not the story we know and love today, no the first draft, the draft of a story that when finished looks awesome and feels awesome, but when you come back later and re-read it you realize how much it could have been better so you edit and re-edit it until you get a great story, that is what this needs it needs an edit, an edit to finish what should be a great story.

07-29-2008 15:07:57 | More by PLANETBUSTERRAVE
FRANKLIN88

1.9/5  rDev -39.3%

I had this beer on draft in a american pint glass. Little to no head.

Appearance: Almost like a berlinner weiss, very cloudy and unfiltered look. Not bad but not the best or appealing beer's.

Smell: Very sweet smelling, very little to no malt notes with this one. Smelled like lemonade and made me feel like I was about to drink a wine cooler.

Taste: This did not taste good, extremely sweet and almost hurt my teeth. This is borderline wine cooler. Very bitter lemon taste and mostly sugar is what i picked up.

Mouthfeel: Not the worst mouthfeel but nothing great. Pretty sugary and made me pucker up after each sip.

Not the worst beer ive had...

09-03-2012 18:52:15 | More by FRANKLIN88
xnicknj

12oz bottle

Pours a piss water yellow color with a top of white head.

Fizzy water with lemonade and light biscuit malts.

Lemonade. Plenty of lemons with pithy citrus peel and crystallized sugar. That's pretty much it...basically lemonade and adjunct.

Lighter body, decent carbonation, sticky and sweet on the tongue. Definitely a gimmick and not my style at all, but I can see a market for it during the summertime.

11-11-2012 08:33:55 | More by xnicknj
pmcadamis

1.93/5  rDev -38.3%

A - Cloudy pale yellow (almost tan) brew with a big fluffy three finger head that settles to a thin persistent cap with a small amount of lace left on the glass.

S - Lemon rind zest hits my nose as soon as I poured this. Just pure lemonade aroma at first, then a little bit of cereal too.

T - The taste is less acrid than the nose in that it's more like lemonade than pure lemon rind. Reminds me of a lemon shake-up that you get at an amusement park. After about five seconds the strong lemon flavor washed away, and I'm left with what tastes exactly like Cheerios cereal.

M - Mild carbonation and a slick oily sensation add up to a less than pleasing mouthfeel. The finish is pretty clean with some graininess.

D - Pretty rotgut stuff. It's not all bad, and I would drink one again if offered to me for free, but I probably won't buy this again...although my fiance loves it so I probably will buy it again for her.

06-10-2007 14:39:42 | More by pmcadamis
deaconoflove

1.93/5  rDev -38.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Ap. Very cloudy golden yellow color with small head that went away quickly. Some nice lacing.
Sm. Crisp strong lemon smell.
Ta. Lemony start to finish. Tastes like liquid lemon drops (the hard candy). Sort of a chemical after taste. Not so good.
Mf. Minimal carbonation, light.
Dr. Let's just say I'm sorry I bought a six-pack instead of a single. If you like the flavor, it would go down very easily.

07-08-2009 01:16:13 | More by deaconoflove
Superfly3176

1.95/5  rDev -37.7%

I tried this a few weeks ago when we went out to dinner. I was expecting a mild lemon malt taste. It wasn't mild at all, the lemon taste was downright overpowering.

The beer pours a nice yellow to gold color. Had a good head to it. I'm not a big fan of this type of beer, too sweet for my taste. But Widmer Brothers Citra Blonde Summer brew was by far better tasting.

07-05-2011 23:28:46 | More by Superfly3176
Newglarusguy

1.98/5  rDev -36.7%

Presentation 12 oz bottle poured into my pint glass.

Appearance: An awful looking pale straw colour that looks like a cloudy lemonade with semen in it.

Smell: It smells of sour lemonade that has gone wrong even worse than a mikes hard and really no hint of hops or malts just sour fake lemonade flavour that really kills the senses.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Asinine! really really just terrible nothing good about this beer justifies it except that you can drink it fast but why would you do that when the acid would give you gut rot, I really love Leinies beer but this a an awful product that leaves the worst aftertaste and should never be boughten again I'm going to call them and get my refund back.

04-06-2007 04:48:05 | More by Newglarusguy
scaliasux

1.98/5  rDev -36.7%

Appearance - Cloudy yellow. Tall white head that quickly recedes. Certainly doesn't look bad.

Smell - Lemon aroma overpowers everything else. Smells a little artificial, like a lemon dish soap. Not entirely unappetizing though.

Taste - Just like the smell, the taste of lemon overpowers any underlying beer flavor. Maybe just a hint of sweet malt pokes through in the beginning. The lemon in this does not strike me as a "lemonade" flavor. More like lemony dishwater.

Mouthfeel - Very light. Seems flat.

Drinkability - Leine's used to have some cachet. Now it seems like they're just trying to bridge the gap between Miller Lite and Smirnoff Ice. For this reason, I feel like a tool when I have one of these in my hand.

07-31-2007 04:06:08 | More by scaliasux
OtherShoe2

1.98/5  rDev -36.7%

Appears a hazy golden yellow with a 2 finger thick white head and some light lace. Very pretty beer.

Smells like lemon oil or cheap lemonade. Some sweet wheat/malt fighting its way thru, but this is pure artificial lemon and very un-beerlikee.

This is awful. Take a very light wheat beer and mix in a Sprite with a good squeeze of lemon. There it is.

Well carbonated and light bodied, which was good, because it helped get this beer down. Overall, I drank the pint, but it sucked. Lemon soda with a beer in there somewhere. Avoid this.

08-16-2009 18:25:12 | More by OtherShoe2
therica

Maryland

A= pours a medium-yellow, very densely hazed almost like a good weizen except that it's more like the chemical citrus powder used in some cheap fruit-beverages. Lots of foaming carbonation causing more of a volcanic foam than a true head.

S= biting on the nose, huge whiffs of fake lemon scent like Lemon Pledge furniture polish.

T= fake lemon taste, sour powdered-citric acid bite, something that might actually be hops bite but more likely citric-acid chemical-bite.

M= sour like a LemonHeads candy disguising what seems to be the lingering taste of a really cheap bargain-barrel quality beer.

D= my stomach couldn't handle even half a bottle of this.

09-12-2008 13:57:30 | More by therica
xfactor9600

Indiana

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass

A - Pours a light gold. Short lasting foam

S - hops and lemons

T - A standard wheat with added tinges of watered down lemonade mixture.

M - Light and an a feeling of over carbonation. It's almost as if they over-carbonated just because it's a "summer seasonal".

D - It seems that it would have been better to use a regular lemon instead of the mixture chosen. I purchased a six-pack, but let guests finish the rest. I'm unlikely to ever purchase again.

12-09-2008 19:57:35 | More by xfactor9600
mattfungus

Wisconsin

This is like a more lemony version of the sunset wheat and little more watery and a little more perfumey. At times I can't tell this and the sunset wheat apart, thought that hint of perfume in this one is the field mark I look for.

If I am going to mix lemonade and beer I will stick with sol or corona,

02-11-2012 04:50:44 | More by mattfungus
gillagorilla

12oz. bottle poured into a Flying Dog goblet

A: A hazy blonde, that is quite cloudy. Not a very pleasing color.

S: Just kind of like a yeasty, sweet smelling "beer", but that is it. It is a very flat smell.

T: Slightly sweet with just a tinge of lemon in there. There is the standard beer taste in there but it is very flat and mild.

M: Almost no carbonation, with a barely perceptible bit of it at the end in the form of a few light tiny bubbles that seems to just brush your tongue like a feather.

O: I got this after trying Fentiman's Shandy, which I got because I had heard of this Shandy and looked up the style. Fentiman's is sweet and tastes almost like a cola, but this is more towards the beer and lemon side of it.

06-03-2013 03:14:31 | More by gillagorilla
marlinsfan4

2.03/5  rDev -35.1%

Pours a very cloudy yellow color... pretty good to hear, decent lacing on the glass as the beer goes down. Smell is of a fresh made glass of lemonade... nice smell, but reminds me way too much a German Radler (had Radler Brau by Clipper City.. one of the worst 'beers' I've ever had). Taste... is very much Radler like, disappointingly. Very dry in the mouth and in the finish, lemonade taste is just way too present here. Leaves your mouth more thirsty after you finish this beer than before you started.. never a good thing for a beer. On the plus side, it is leaps and bounds ahead of the Paper City beer of a similar style, but definitely nothing I'd ever seek out again and would probably turn down one if offered. Stick with the Sunset Wheat.

08-01-2009 19:41:43 | More by marlinsfan4
MrMcGibblets

2.03/5  rDev -35.1%

A: hazy light straw, minimal white head/lace.
S: lemons
T: tastes more like a lightly sweet artificial powdered lemonade than beer, but at least it's not super-sour or overly sweet.
M: thin, puckering, effervescent.
D: hard to finish one, unless i had a real hankering for lemonade. as far as lemonade goes, it's not terrible. as far as beer goes...

06-23-2010 14:52:30 | More by MrMcGibblets
Kemmerlin

Colorado

2.05/5  rDev -34.5%

A: A creamy light unfiltered golden yellow color and leaves a thick head in the glass.

S: In keeping with the style of the beer, the smells were of lemonade, wheat, cut grass, salt, and a mild soap.

T: A strong taste of lemon pinesol that was very sour. A tepid taste like vomit and a mild taste of wheat beer rounded out this brew.

M/D: Light beer that was smooth and creamy. The drinkability was extremely harsh and because of the sour vomit taste it was very hard to put down the throat.

05-31-2008 03:24:20 | More by Kemmerlin
hardy008

2.05/5  rDev -34.5%

Cloudy yellow color with a small white head with fair retention. Smells like sweet lemons, or lemonade. I guess this is what they wanted to do, but it does not make me think of beer.

Tastes like a pale wheat ale mixed with lemonade. This is not working for me. Just my opinion. Light bodied, decent carbonation, a bit of a dry finish. I will not seek this out again.

06-02-2010 02:10:38 | More by hardy008
bonkers

2.08/5  rDev -33.5%

I poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a standard pint glass. It poured a hazy lemon with a fizzy white head that dissipated quickly. The aroma was all lemons, and that was a good thing. The rest of the beer is very disapointing. The lemonade slightly overpowered the beer bringing out the worst characteristics of two beverages I enjoy. It was way too sweet and there was no "beer" flavor in this one, almost like a malternative. The beer is light bodied and way overcarbonated. IMO it is almost sickenly sweet and I had trouble drinking it. Avoid!

05-31-2009 00:59:06 | More by bonkers
joedon

2.08/5  rDev -33.5%

I bought this for my wife who frequently has "lager and lime" at our local pub. I'm afraid she won't like it.

Murky yellowish color with a white head. Seems like the brewer is trying to copy a weiss beer with a lot of yeast but it has no yeast flavor at all.

Smell is entirely of lemons; about like Minute Maid lemonade.

Taste is essentially lemonade with just a tiny bit of hops. Not really unpleasant but not a beer either.

Very fizzy and refreshing mouthfeel, if you like fizzy soft drinks.

Not my preference for even a lawn-mower beverage but I could drink it down.

Leinie seems to be going for the teen-age girl drinkers or women who don't really like beer.

08-17-2009 21:05:13 | More by joedon
davecavemaster

2.08/5  rDev -33.5%

It's almost 100 degrees where I am today, so here is a review of a summer beer. This one is from Leinenkugel, a brewery in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin.

Now in my experience, there are two kinds of "seasonal" beers... The first is an honest attempt to bring a seasonal characteristic to a well made beer, in order to give the consumer something interesting and enjoyable. The second kind of seasonal is one that is just a gimmick. A beer made to capitalize on the time of year, and the impulse buy of the customer. This beer clearly falls in the the second category.

leinenkugel's summer shandy

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy, is a self described "beer made with natural lemonade flavor." The brew pours with a thick creamy head (so I thought I was in for a treat,) and is a yellow, opaque color.
It presents with a lemony aroma, and has the bubbles of a carbonated bottled water. When you take your first sip, your mouth fills with the lemon taste, but there is very little beer taste to it at all. In fact, the more you drink this beer, the less lemon you taste, and the more it just feels like your drinking a watered down lemonade. No matter what flavor the brewery is trying to infuse, I still like to be reminded that I am drinking a beer. The alcohol content is only 4.2%, the same as a Bud Light, so there is no kick or burn at all.

There is no shortage of summer beers out there, I would suggest putting this one very low on your list of ones to try. If you don't like beer, and prefer wine coolers and spritzers, this may appeal to you.

It should be noted that not everything this brewery puts out is crap...They actually make a decent Imperial Stout and IPA, don't know what happened to this recipe.

07-17-2012 00:53:44 | More by davecavemaster

2.09/5  rDev -33.2%

I drank this directly out of the bottle around a campfire.

A- Since it was out of the bottle, I am scoring it AVERAGE.

S- I did take a whiff of it in the bottle and it was like lemony window cleaner. Just an awful combination of chemicals and grain. It wasn't a refreshing smell, but more of a lingering odor of a post-HazMat cleanup.

T- ew. I don't want to drink this. Lemony windex and corn. It fills my head with something I don't want, but I can't seem to get it out! It tastes like a really bad hefe mixed with Country Time Lemonade and salt. Why is it salty?!

M- It has a light and fizzy mouthfeel which is probably what they were looking for.

O- If you're presented with this at a BBQ this summer, pass. Grab a Coke or 7up instead

07-03-2013 19:11:41 | More by Michigan