Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007

Reviews: 597 | Hads: 3,263
1.81/5  rDev -42.2%

12oz bottle from a mixed 12 pack poured into a pint glass.

A- this one pours out a very pale and hazy yellow colored body with a small white head on it. the head vanishes before my eyes and leaves behind absolutely no lacing.

S- the odor here reminds me of an off brand powdered lemonade mix. theres nothing that smells like a beer here.

T- the taste is all about that powdered lemonade that i could smell. except that it tastes like theres too much water in it. once again, this really doesnt taste like a beer.

M- light bodied with lots of carbonation. watery.

D- believe it or not, i liked this one more on tap. it seemed a lot more flavorful that way. this was my last time drinking this one. (704 characters)

1.82/5  rDev -41.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

Poured into tumbler. Dirty yellow color. Smell is lemon and yeast. Taste is like a dirty lemonade. Light carbonation. No head. Decent lacing. Did not like this at all. (167 characters)

1.9/5  rDev -39.3%

To tell you the truth, I was looking for Blue Moon and they didn't have it (general gas station) so I saw this (liked the label), read that it was light, ok.
OMG, This is my impression right after a sip:
>> What the hell is that after-taste (kinda perfumy)... UGG

Sorry, every sip I take gives me that impression and it wasn't a good one.

I will not buy this beer again.

/me (386 characters)

1.91/5  rDev -39%

12oz bottle

Pours a piss water yellow color with a top of white head.

Fizzy water with lemonade and light biscuit malts.

Lemonade. Plenty of lemons with pithy citrus peel and crystallized sugar. That's pretty much it...basically lemonade and adjunct.

Lighter body, decent carbonation, sticky and sweet on the tongue. Definitely a gimmick and not my style at all, but I can see a market for it during the summertime. (422 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -38.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Well, it come in a 12 oz brown longneck so I guess it's beer, but you could toss this one back like it was -- umm -- lemonade. I would have drunk this when I was a teen who liked the idea of drinking beer but not the beer taste. Did I mention it's really lemony -- like if you drank one immediately after reading this, you'd think "Wow, that was more lemony than I had expected". Lemony is a nice word -- try working it into a sentence today. (442 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -38.3%

I had this beer on draft in a american pint glass. Little to no head.

Appearance: Almost like a berlinner weiss, very cloudy and unfiltered look. Not bad but not the best or appealing beer's.

Smell: Very sweet smelling, very little to no malt notes with this one. Smelled like lemonade and made me feel like I was about to drink a wine cooler.

Taste: This did not taste good, extremely sweet and almost hurt my teeth. This is borderline wine cooler. Very bitter lemon taste and mostly sugar is what i picked up.

Mouthfeel: Not the worst mouthfeel but nothing great. Pretty sugary and made me pucker up after each sip.

Not the worst beer ive had... (652 characters)

1.94/5  rDev -38%

A - Cloudy pale yellow (almost tan) brew with a big fluffy three finger head that settles to a thin persistent cap with a small amount of lace left on the glass.

S - Lemon rind zest hits my nose as soon as I poured this. Just pure lemonade aroma at first, then a little bit of cereal too.

T - The taste is less acrid than the nose in that it's more like lemonade than pure lemon rind. Reminds me of a lemon shake-up that you get at an amusement park. After about five seconds the strong lemon flavor washed away, and I'm left with what tastes exactly like Cheerios cereal.

M - Mild carbonation and a slick oily sensation add up to a less than pleasing mouthfeel. The finish is pretty clean with some graininess.

D - Pretty rotgut stuff. It's not all bad, and I would drink one again if offered to me for free, but I probably won't buy this again...although my fiance loves it so I probably will buy it again for her. (928 characters)

1.95/5  rDev -37.7%

LEMONADE WEEE! BEER WEEE! I am excited, uhh until I tasted it.

This I will admit is my first shandy, which I must say was very disappointing, the pour was what got me excited, it flowed from the bottle a hazy pale yellow that formed a thick white head, the retention time was surprisingly fast, although it did fizzle down to a good lacing that stuck to the sides of the glass. The hint of carbonation made it look playful and inviting insinuating a true summertime feel. The sweet scents of lemons filled my nostrils when I sniffed the glass, a hint of wheat peeked in, which should have been my first inkling as to what laid ahead.

I was anticipating the first sip the thought of lemonade and beer made me happy, until I got it in my mouth. The excitement disappeared as fast as the head did, it was blam nothing, sure there were lemons, not sweet lemons, not flavorful lemons, not even sour lemons, just lemons plain lemons, flat lemons, its like the lemons decide to party crash and left the wheat out on the porch staring in the window longing for attention.

As were my expectations now, the first gulp felt thick and creamy. It looked like it was going to save the day for me, but it only stayed that way for a little bit. It decides to turn watery making me cry inside. In the end, this beer, felt like a good story gone wrong. It made me want it until I had it, the only way I can truly describe it is if Mary Shelly decide to brew beer waited for it and at that moment she tasted it she had an epiphany and came up with the story of Frankenstein, but, not the story we know and love today, no the first draft, the draft of a story that when finished looks awesome and feels awesome, but when you come back later and re-read it you realize how much it could have been better so you edit and re-edit it until you get a great story, that is what this needs it needs an edit, an edit to finish what should be a great story. (1,931 characters)

1.97/5  rDev -37.1%

Presentation 12 oz bottle poured into my pint glass.

Appearance: An awful looking pale straw colour that looks like a cloudy lemonade with semen in it.

Smell: It smells of sour lemonade that has gone wrong even worse than a mikes hard and really no hint of hops or malts just sour fake lemonade flavour that really kills the senses.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Asinine! really really just terrible nothing good about this beer justifies it except that you can drink it fast but why would you do that when the acid would give you gut rot, I really love Leinies beer but this a an awful product that leaves the worst aftertaste and should never be boughten again I'm going to call them and get my refund back. (709 characters)

1.99/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Ap. Very cloudy golden yellow color with small head that went away quickly. Some nice lacing.
Sm. Crisp strong lemon smell.
Ta. Lemony start to finish. Tastes like liquid lemon drops (the hard candy). Sort of a chemical after taste. Not so good.
Mf. Minimal carbonation, light.
Dr. Let's just say I'm sorry I bought a six-pack instead of a single. If you like the flavor, it would go down very easily. (401 characters)

12oz. bottle poured into a Flying Dog goblet

A: A hazy blonde, that is quite cloudy. Not a very pleasing color.

S: Just kind of like a yeasty, sweet smelling "beer", but that is it. It is a very flat smell.

T: Slightly sweet with just a tinge of lemon in there. There is the standard beer taste in there but it is very flat and mild.

M: Almost no carbonation, with a barely perceptible bit of it at the end in the form of a few light tiny bubbles that seems to just brush your tongue like a feather.

O: I got this after trying Fentiman's Shandy, which I got because I had heard of this Shandy and looked up the style. Fentiman's is sweet and tastes almost like a cola, but this is more towards the beer and lemon side of it. (729 characters)

A= pours a medium-yellow, very densely hazed almost like a good weizen except that it's more like the chemical citrus powder used in some cheap fruit-beverages. Lots of foaming carbonation causing more of a volcanic foam than a true head.

S= biting on the nose, huge whiffs of fake lemon scent like Lemon Pledge furniture polish.

T= fake lemon taste, sour powdered-citric acid bite, something that might actually be hops bite but more likely citric-acid chemical-bite.

M= sour like a LemonHeads candy disguising what seems to be the lingering taste of a really cheap bargain-barrel quality beer.

D= my stomach couldn't handle even half a bottle of this. (657 characters)

i enjoy most Leinenkugels but Summer Shandy would be my best guess at what Pine Sol tastes like. Most of my friends enjoy it so it must be my messed up taste buds! (164 characters)

This is like a more lemony version of the sunset wheat and little more watery and a little more perfumey. At times I can't tell this and the sunset wheat apart, thought that hint of perfume in this one is the field mark I look for.

If I am going to mix lemonade and beer I will stick with sol or corona, (304 characters)

2.01/5  rDev -35.8%

Appearance - Cloudy yellow. Tall white head that quickly recedes. Certainly doesn't look bad.

Smell - Lemon aroma overpowers everything else. Smells a little artificial, like a lemon dish soap. Not entirely unappetizing though.

Taste - Just like the smell, the taste of lemon overpowers any underlying beer flavor. Maybe just a hint of sweet malt pokes through in the beginning. The lemon in this does not strike me as a "lemonade" flavor. More like lemony dishwater.

Mouthfeel - Very light. Seems flat.

Drinkability - Leine's used to have some cachet. Now it seems like they're just trying to bridge the gap between Miller Lite and Smirnoff Ice. For this reason, I feel like a tool when I have one of these in my hand. (731 characters)

2.02/5  rDev -35.5%

Appears a hazy golden yellow with a 2 finger thick white head and some light lace. Very pretty beer.

Smells like lemon oil or cheap lemonade. Some sweet wheat/malt fighting its way thru, but this is pure artificial lemon and very un-beerlikee.

This is awful. Take a very light wheat beer and mix in a Sprite with a good squeeze of lemon. There it is.

Well carbonated and light bodied, which was good, because it helped get this beer down. Overall, I drank the pint, but it sucked. Lemon soda with a beer in there somewhere. Avoid this. (539 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -35.1%

A: hazy light straw, minimal white head/lace.
S: lemons
T: tastes more like a lightly sweet artificial powdered lemonade than beer, but at least it's not super-sour or overly sweet.
M: thin, puckering, effervescent.
D: hard to finish one, unless i had a real hankering for lemonade. as far as lemonade goes, it's not terrible. as far as beer goes... (350 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -34.2%

Cloudy yellow color with a small white head with fair retention. Smells like sweet lemons, or lemonade. I guess this is what they wanted to do, but it does not make me think of beer.

Tastes like a pale wheat ale mixed with lemonade. This is not working for me. Just my opinion. Light bodied, decent carbonation, a bit of a dry finish. I will not seek this out again. (368 characters)

2.07/5  rDev -33.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass

A - Pours a light gold. Short lasting foam

S - hops and lemons

T - A standard wheat with added tinges of watered down lemonade mixture.

M - Light and an a feeling of over carbonation. It's almost as if they over-carbonated just because it's a "summer seasonal".

D - It seems that it would have been better to use a regular lemon instead of the mixture chosen. I purchased a six-pack, but let guests finish the rest. I'm unlikely to ever purchase again.

Serving type: bottle (528 characters)

2.09/5  rDev -33.2%

I tried this a few weeks ago when we went out to dinner. I was expecting a mild lemon malt taste. It wasn't mild at all, the lemon taste was downright overpowering.

The beer pours a nice yellow to gold color. Had a good head to it. I'm not a big fan of this type of beer, too sweet for my taste. But Widmer Brothers Citra Blonde Summer brew was by far better tasting. (368 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -32.9%

It's almost 100 degrees where I am today, so here is a review of a summer beer. This one is from Leinenkugel, a brewery in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin.

Now in my experience, there are two kinds of "seasonal" beers... The first is an honest attempt to bring a seasonal characteristic to a well made beer, in order to give the consumer something interesting and enjoyable. The second kind of seasonal is one that is just a gimmick. A beer made to capitalize on the time of year, and the impulse buy of the customer. This beer clearly falls in the the second category.

leinenkugel's summer shandy

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy, is a self described "beer made with natural lemonade flavor." The brew pours with a thick creamy head (so I thought I was in for a treat,) and is a yellow, opaque color.
It presents with a lemony aroma, and has the bubbles of a carbonated bottled water. When you take your first sip, your mouth fills with the lemon taste, but there is very little beer taste to it at all. In fact, the more you drink this beer, the less lemon you taste, and the more it just feels like your drinking a watered down lemonade. No matter what flavor the brewery is trying to infuse, I still like to be reminded that I am drinking a beer. The alcohol content is only 4.2%, the same as a Bud Light, so there is no kick or burn at all.

There is no shortage of summer beers out there, I would suggest putting this one very low on your list of ones to try. If you don't like beer, and prefer wine coolers and spritzers, this may appeal to you.

It should be noted that not everything this brewery puts out is crap...They actually make a decent Imperial Stout and IPA, don't know what happened to this recipe. (1,710 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -32.9%

Pours a very cloudy yellow color... pretty good to hear, decent lacing on the glass as the beer goes down. Smell is of a fresh made glass of lemonade... nice smell, but reminds me way too much a German Radler (had Radler Brau by Clipper City.. one of the worst 'beers' I've ever had). Taste... is very much Radler like, disappointingly. Very dry in the mouth and in the finish, lemonade taste is just way too present here. Leaves your mouth more thirsty after you finish this beer than before you started.. never a good thing for a beer. On the plus side, it is leaps and bounds ahead of the Paper City beer of a similar style, but definitely nothing I'd ever seek out again and would probably turn down one if offered. Stick with the Sunset Wheat. (748 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -32.6%

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy

Beer blended with lemonade, geared towards summer consumption for the unassuming.

Pours like a wheat beer, hazy straw yellow, small head that fizzles away. Aroma is lemony and artificial. Musty lemon like cleaning product and lemon drop candy wrapped into a blanket of grain. Taste is full of lemon syrup, with a wheat malt base. Tangy, but not without a touch of bitterness, like watery lemon candy soda. Fleeting grain reminds you this is a beer. The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied, crisp carbonation and lingering lemon flavor. Overall, it is lemony. (588 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -32.6%

I drank this directly out of the bottle around a campfire.

A- Since it was out of the bottle, I am scoring it AVERAGE.

S- I did take a whiff of it in the bottle and it was like lemony window cleaner. Just an awful combination of chemicals and grain. It wasn't a refreshing smell, but more of a lingering odor of a post-HazMat cleanup.

T- ew. I don't want to drink this. Lemony windex and corn. It fills my head with something I don't want, but I can't seem to get it out! It tastes like a really bad hefe mixed with Country Time Lemonade and salt. Why is it salty?!

M- It has a light and fizzy mouthfeel which is probably what they were looking for.

O- If you're presented with this at a BBQ this summer, pass. Grab a Coke or 7up instead (743 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -32.3%

I bought this for my wife who frequently has "lager and lime" at our local pub. I'm afraid she won't like it.

Murky yellowish color with a white head. Seems like the brewer is trying to copy a weiss beer with a lot of yeast but it has no yeast flavor at all.

Smell is entirely of lemons; about like Minute Maid lemonade.

Taste is essentially lemonade with just a tiny bit of hops. Not really unpleasant but not a beer either.

Very fizzy and refreshing mouthfeel, if you like fizzy soft drinks.

Not my preference for even a lawn-mower beverage but I could drink it down.

Leinie seems to be going for the teen-age girl drinkers or women who don't really like beer. (668 characters)

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company