Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007

Reviews: 597 | Hads: 3,263
3.48/5  rDev +11.2%

12oz brown bottle. Pours a murky light yellow with a quarter inch of off-white head. Smells intensely sweet and lemony - almost like fake lemonade. Tastes very citrusy and somewhat pithy, though the flavor isn't as intense as the aroma is. On the lighter side of medium-bodied with a small amount of carbonation. Not bad, very easy-drinking and refreshing, and i can definitely see putting back a couple of these after a long hot day. That said, it seems less beery and more like an alco-pop, though it beats the heck out of Mike's or the like. (544 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Probably my favorite shandy out there right now. Decent appearance with a hazy yellow and a very thin fizzy head. The smell was mostly lemons but with a little bit of malt. The taste was similar with a lot of lemonade but a subtle finish where you get a little bit of hop and malt to make the end of the beer not so sweet. A fine shandy to drink on a hot day. (359 characters)

3.49/5  rDev +11.5%

This beer when first tasting it was nice. Good summer beer. After drinking more than 1 or 2 though it becomes old. Also its got a low ABV which is kind of a disappointment. Overall I believe its a good beer to try but not something I could buy weekly. (251 characters)

3.49/5  rDev +11.5%

Very dull and hazy yellow. An unimpressive Weizen color, is the only way I can describe it. Nice head, but the haze just seems off.

Smells of a macro and lemonade. Doesn't smell at all synthetic, like the Steigl shandy. It smells weedy, grainy, and lemony. Nice.

Tastes exactly like it smells. Big, sweetnsour lemonade start, followed up by decent macro beeriness, ending on a sweet and weedy node. Nicely balanced.

A decent novelty beer. It's a novelty, keep that in mind. This is a self-declared shandy that has no pretentions of being a world class brew. With that in mind, it's not hard to enjoy... (611 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

"Weiss beer with lemonade"

Isn't that a Russ?

Hazy, ghostly white in hue with a tint of yellow; white head, at the apex the head was two fingers tall. Good head retention, the bubbles were slow to fade to a soapy cap. Not much lacing, some unorganized clumps. Good appearance, overall...

Lemonade dominates the nose, as it should, I suppose. Clean wheat notes are noticeable once my nose adjusts to the massive lemon/citrus zest aroma. I can't really knock the nose; it says what it is suppose to say. I could envision, say, AB brewing something like this and either make it smell like a malternative or much weaker. Inviting for what it is... and yes, I do need to qualify my statement and dampened my praise.

The lemonade taste is not as strong as the nose indicated, which is okay. Wheat characteristics are easily detectable. I like the balance of sweet and tart. Clearly, the base beer is not a Bavarian-style wheat, it is just an American wheat ale. Modest wheaty-sweat-tart aftertaste, which was agreeable. While the beer is simple, lacks complexity, it does deliver the goods. I hated this beer last year... I was close-minded. Sure, it is not great but like I said, it delivers for a summer seasonal. I bet this would kill on a 101 degree day. I see why this beer is popular.

Medium-light in body, moderate carbonation, good mouthfeel; I like the clean, cleansing finish.

I am surprised by how much I like it as a summer seasonal. Granted, I'd rather mix my own Radler or Russ but this would do in a major pinch. Nothing to freak out about, nothing to bash... it is a descent, gimmicky beer. I must say, Leine does brew 4 really popular wheat ales (largely, for the non-BA crowd)... Summer Shandy, Berry Weiss, Honey Weiss, and Sunset Wheat. They found their niche, kudos to them. (1,796 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

Better than I was expecting, never having had shandy before. I appreciate the fact that it does taste like "beer with lemonade," and not some sort of weird lemon-infused sports drink. The tastes blend pretty darn well, and it makes for a refreshing drink. I'm not sure if drinking a lot of it in a sitting would sit really well with me, (I get a sense that the lemon vs. beer might give me a stomach ache down the line) but it would be a good lawnmower beer.

On a side-note, I wonder if the beer the lemonade is blended with is Leinenkugel's Original or something different? (575 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

I had this on tap in a plastic cup while in Ocean City sitting on the deck bar on a hot summer evening(Macky's bayside).

It was a great thrist quencher summer brew. Very strong lemon/lime flavors prevail. Not exactly a beer drinkers beer but for a good swill beer in the heat, it tasted much better that a Corona with lime in it. My report for this beer isn't under my usual quality controlled enviroment (lazy boy chair in living room with Sam Adams pint glass pour)so this report is more for my database than to be trusted as reliable by others. (548 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Looks like a soda except for the frothy, thick white head. Similar color to fresca.

Smells good. Lemony in an artificial way, but very fresh smelling.

First note is of lemon flavor. Letting it sit a little in my mouth produces a grassy, fresh taste. After taste more of grass and lemon zest.

Heavily carbonated which works for this beer. Relatively thin, but again, that works for this beer.

Overall, this is a pleasant, refreshing beer that is perfect for summer. It's not going to wow anybody, but it's a solid offering in the style. (539 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

Well, well, the ol’ British Shandy – quite a paradox of taste and flavors, I must say.

I mean, yeah, = looky here, this thing has all the appearance of a lemonade – albeit a hazy lemon yellow cooler with a frothy white head and decent lacing. Powerful lemonade aroma, not too bad with the quaff. Subtle, but still a wheat brew with lemonade, an unique and enjoyable session – this things are only 4.2%

Gave one to the wifey, she likey and agreed it would make for a summer quencher and change of pace. Fork, give it a try as a nice summer change up. But man, donno about how they would slide after the first 2 or 3... (627 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

I think all of Leinenkugels' fruit beers are the same: fruity and delicious, but leave you wishing they had something more distinguishing than which fruit is in this particular beer you're drinking at that moment. (213 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured into 10oz glass. Poured very lively, over 2 inches of fluffy white head that had moderate retention and no lacing. The beer was the cloudy yellow of a Hefe.

There was a solidly noticeable lemon scent at the front of the nose, with some earthy wheat coming in underneath. The lemon didn't come across as boldly on the tongue, it was still solidly present, but blended and balanced sicely with the base wheat beer.

The body was fairly typical for an American Wheat Ale, medium and clean. Drinkability was very good, I could easily see having a sixer of these while hanging out by the Nooksack River during the summer. Overall, a nice little beer. Worth your time. (670 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

Reminds me of the boat, bass, cabin and the summer months. My choice in the summer everytime.

I drank it out of the bottle and the smell was fine, bit of fruitiness smell and tiny bit of grain. Taste is good and the mouthfeel fantastic during the summer months. Drinkability is fair, wouldn't be my choice to pound these one night, would rather go for some rolling rock. (372 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

Appearance: Cloudy, light orangish yellow.
Smell: Lemonade; Lemonheads.
Taste: Lemon, citrus.
Mouthfeel: Light carbonation.

Well, you could have handed me this in a can and I would have had no clue that it was a beer and not just a lemon citrus pop...which I'm sure is going to yield some rough ratings and reviews on here. However, to me, if it's a hot day, I'd take this in a heartbeat. It's very refreshing. I won't go out of my way to buy it, but if I can get it for cheap, count me in for a pack. (503 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

Exactly what I was expecting. I love lemon in the summertime. This brew is exactly what it should be. Light. Citrus. Delicious. Perfect for drinking by the pool side or in the hot sun. So much better a choice than a BMC IMO. As the sun begins to set, so too, set this aside for something more robust and interesting. But in the heat of the day....very cool. (357 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +12.5%

Cloudy yellow with small head.

Smells of lemon.

If you like Corona with lemon or lime you'll like this. It's refreshing and well balanced, tastes better than it smells.

My wife liked it a lot and it was on tap so I had some and it wasn't bad. Next time I'm laying on the beach, this might hit the spot. (305 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a 14 oz "pint" glass. Pours a cloudy yellowish straw color with a fluffy white head that dissipates quickly, but leaves a little lacing. Smells heavily of lemons, but there is general beer malt in the smell as well. Tastes of a lemonade mixed with a good adjunct lager, but not offensively. This light bodied beer is very smooth, carbonated correctly, and quite a bit could be consumed without realizing it. Overall, a slightly above average beer. (479 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can in a pint glass for this review. It's a beer that I've had a few times over the years, on tap and bottled also.

A-Very hazy, thick cloud texture of a light lemon color. The one-finger pure white color head fades fast to a thin film. Nice rings of lacing.

S- Fresh squeezed lemon in a light grainy lager.

T- Very light pale wheat with lemon notes. Just a touch of honey sweetness.

M- Citrus tang with carbonation snap. Light and refreshing , tart. No bitterness or evidence of alcohol.

O- A pleasing Summer brew. It's not rocket science or reinventing weiss beer, but the formula works. "An adventurous taste. Perfect for Summertime fun" is Leinie's slogan for it...I agree. (687 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +12.5%

Overall a nice summer thirst quencher

Beery lemonade -- if you like the other offerings from Leinenkugels this will be up your alley

Tart slightly artificial lemonade flavor

One is enough in a sitting - although I look forward to one on a 90 degree August afternoon (268 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +12.8%

Looks, smells and tastes like some strange beer/lemonade hybrid.

Has a cloudy, almost milky appearance. Nice white head with good retention.

I didn't think I would like this one, I haven't had good experiences in the past with fruit "enhanced" beers--see Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic. But I really enjoyed the bottle I had. Maybe it had something to do with the weather; I drank it on a 94-degree day with typical Midwest humidity. Not sure if it's more like lemonade-flavored beer or beer-flavored lemonade, but it is seriously refreshing after mowing the lawn. (563 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Huge white fluffy head in a frosted mug with a fair lacing over a murky golden tan colored brew. The lemon is easily detected in the aroma to the extent that it's pretty hard to pick up much else, almost lemon-lime. If your not use to this mixture, it's a bit of a surprise, but you can adjust to it if you're open minded. Tastes sort of like a mellow lemon cake with modest sweetness. It's very easy drinking and refreshing and I would say it grows on you depending on your expectations. I probably could enjoy these if I just think more lemonade than beer, not often such a desirable option but, I can handle it once in a great while. (636 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +12.8%

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company, Inc.--Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy Weiss Beer With Lemonade--Beer With Natural Lemonade Flavor--2009 12 oz. Bottle. 4.20% ABV. 10 IBU's. (3.5 / 5.0) Sediment hint. Thin foamy mild lace white head. Cloudy bright lemon white color. Rich lemon wheat ester front. Tangy fizzy sweet citrus lemon wheat grass thin soda pop easy to guzzle body. Refreshing crisp dry lemon citrus end. Over the top lemon. 10 Mile 90 F Tasty. Sampled 8/16/2010. 6-Pack overpriced @ $8.99. (496 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +13.1%

Quite surprised by this one...always heard of shandy style beer and I was not let down. Very sour/fruit smell and a taste to follow. Low on head and carbonation but I don't believe a large head is necessary on this beer. Definitely represents the Leinenkugel family well with the fruit theme and very drinkable. Would recommend it during the summer due to the lemonade mixed with beer...makes a very interesting/exotic summer drink. (432 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +13.1%

This beer is a great session beer, sitting out back or by the pool on a hot day. This is by far one of the better summer shandy's out there. I really prefer this on a hot day then my go to paulander heifer. A wheat beer on a hot summer day or night is what I look forward to after a long day at work. If you like wheat beers then this is a good one. Not for everyone but for me it just fine. Going in to get my third one now. (425 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +13.1%

For me it has nice carbonation. The fragrance below average, it should have a much stronger fragrance of lemon since its lemon the beer touts as one of the selling points. Needs a stronger lemon up front not just the hint on the after taste. An above average summer cook out beer. (280 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

OK, give this beer a break people. It is what it says it is. It is a summer shandy. Its a summertime beer. It is light, crisp, refreshing and slightly sweet. The smell is of lemon candy, or country time lemonade. It taste like a wheat beer with country time lemonade mixed in. Fizzy, citrus, some sour tart lemon swells with the malt background. Its a cloudy beer but it has some creamy head and lace. This would hit the spot after mowing the grass in the hot summer sun. Serve this one cold. It says it is Weiss beer with lemonade and that is exactly what it taste like. They get an A+ for nailing what they set out to do. This should be graded by its style which is a style of its own. And it is what it says it is. There are good qualities to this beer, it just isn't what most beer drinkers are used to when they think beer. Nothing complex or outstanding, but very easy to drink. (884 characters)

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company