Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007

Reviews: 607 | Hads: 3,355
3.46/5  rDev +11.3%

A: Has a hazey yellow straw like color nice white foamy head with good retention.
S: There is a strong lemony smell for sure mixed with a wheatlike corn smell nothing great.
T: Not as bad a i thought it would be accually not bad at all wwheat up front followed buy a strong lemonade flovor.
M:Smooth with a little tingle at the end.
Overall its a very drinkable beer would be good on a hot day but other than that not really my cup of tea.

3.46/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A six pack of this got left to me...free beer!

A very light yellow body that is cloudy but bright at the same time. A huge, at least three fingers, of head appears quickly. Not a lot of retention, but a couple thick bands of lacing are left behind.

Summer Shandy has an odd and slightly off-putting aroma. There is a very sugary, lemonade aroma, but there is also a slightly musty aroma. A little bit like old beer that has been sitting out over night.

Surprisingly, this thing doesn't taste that bad. A little strange, but it is exactly what the label bills it as. It tastes like a generic, weak, American Pale Wheat Ale that is mixed with lemonade. Probably about half and half. The aftertaste brings back just a little bit of the mustiness in the aroma, but it is not too strong or unpleasant. Although this isn't exactly fantastic, it's not too bad either.

Mouthfeel is medium in both body and carbonation.

This thing is really drinkable. It definitely shines in this part of the rating. Light, not bad tasting, and pretty refreshing. I could down these pretty quickly. A decent summer brew for a hot day.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Aroma is very lemony and wheaty, with soft floral highlights and a grainy malt backbone.

Flavor reveals lemon underlying a wheat and bready malt backbone. Not as tart as lemonade, but more lemon essence focus. The backbone is somewhat watery.

3.47/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

I didn't have any specific interest in trying this beer, but when the sixers dropped to 3.99, I figured it'd be party beer for a week or two.

Based on some quick "research" regarding a shandy, I'm going to try to be as fair as possible.

A - Cloudy, bright yellow. Definitely the color of lemonade. A finger or two of white head rises quickly, like soda pop, and subsides just as quickly, leaving a thick collar. Some lacing.

S - Lemonade. A little on the artificial side. There's also the very distinct earthy, typical American wheat aroma in the background. The two actually make for a pleasant, albeit simple, aroma.

T - Lemon takes hold at first, but it's more like "lemon flavor" and a bit weak at that. No sourness at all, but definitely semi-sweet. The actual wheat character tries to pull through despite the assumed dilution, but it never translates into much more than simple cereal grain. Finish is clean.

M - Moderate carbonation, and a horribly light and watery body.

D - This stuff couldn't be much easier to put back. It's very unoffensive, but the problem is none of the flavors are strong enough. Everything about the beer is weak, and all I can take away is a vague lemon flavor over a weird light-beer graininess.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

If you're drinking this you know it's a shandy as clearly stated on the label summer shandy. Smell is lemony certainly. Refreshing. Taste is lightly malty wheat beer with a refreshing dose of lightly tart lemonade. It's just about right for sweetness in terms of the lemonade flavor. I wouldn't want more than a couple, but it's one of the better flavored mass produced beers I've had.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle dated NOV1113 at cellar temp into goblet
Aroma lemony
Head average (3 cm), white, creamy, fully diminishing
Body bright yellow, cloudy
Flavor has lemon overtones, no malt, no diacetyl, ends quickly
Body is light, watery, carbonation lively.

Maybe colder or fresher (gift from someone who doesn't know beer) would have helped, but still not a bad beer. I think I like the orange variety better.

3.48/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours a cloudy lemon-yellow, no surprise considering the addition of lemonade or "natural lemonade flavor" (both are listed on the label). Head is thin and gets smaller quickly.

The aroma is not bad at all, but it's way more lemonade than beer. There's the slightest hint of wheat/grain heartiness in the background, but in a blind test would I have called this anything but lemonade? Doubtful.

Flavor shows a little more balance between lemonade and beer than the aroma does, having a hint of bread-like heartiness under the lemony surface. The two things gel together surprisingly well, and despite expecting disaster, it's actually pretty good. The mouthfeel does what it's supposed to do, nothing remarkable about the texture, so I won't remark any further.

This is a simple beer, somewhat of a novelty, and nothing any beer lover should be embarrassed to admit liking. It's a step away from the usual summer stuff, and it might surprise you (it did me). The lemon element could've been 1) too tart, 2) too sugary/sweet, 3) too artificial tasting, and/or 4) wretched, but it's none of that. It's just a nice diversion from the big-ass ales many of us usually indulge in. Certainly a wiser choice than evil alcopops or those lime-infused beers the macro brewers are crapping out.

3.48/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

What can I say? I'm a sucker for a good summer beer. When it is as hot as it is in Central Texas, you take advantage of these! This is a fun beer in a lot of ways - lots of citrus mixed in, so it's basically a beer-lemonade mix. I enjoyed it.

3.48/5  rDev +11.9%

Cloudy pale yellow with a thin head.

Faint Lemonheads candy aroma with some wheat in the background.

Taste: Got a single to try and didn't have high hopes, but as much as I expected to hate this beer, I don't. It works as advertised: lemonade mixed with a crisp refreshing wheat beer. It's not a flavorful hefe. It's not a spicy wit. But it's an enjoyable summer drink. There's dry lemony zest up front without much pucker and a crisp, smooth wheat finish. Refreshing.

A very simple yet good beer.

3.48/5  rDev +11.9%

12oz brown bottle. Pours a murky light yellow with a quarter inch of off-white head. Smells intensely sweet and lemony - almost like fake lemonade. Tastes very citrusy and somewhat pithy, though the flavor isn't as intense as the aroma is. On the lighter side of medium-bodied with a small amount of carbonation. Not bad, very easy-drinking and refreshing, and i can definitely see putting back a couple of these after a long hot day. That said, it seems less beery and more like an alco-pop, though it beats the heck out of Mike's or the like.

look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Probably my favorite shandy out there right now. Decent appearance with a hazy yellow and a very thin fizzy head. The smell was mostly lemons but with a little bit of malt. The taste was similar with a lot of lemonade but a subtle finish where you get a little bit of hop and malt to make the end of the beer not so sweet. A fine shandy to drink on a hot day.

3.49/5  rDev +12.2%

This beer when first tasting it was nice. Good summer beer. After drinking more than 1 or 2 though it becomes old. Also its got a low ABV which is kind of a disappointment. Overall I believe its a good beer to try but not something I could buy weekly.

3.49/5  rDev +12.2%

Very dull and hazy yellow. An unimpressive Weizen color, is the only way I can describe it. Nice head, but the haze just seems off.

Smells of a macro and lemonade. Doesn't smell at all synthetic, like the Steigl shandy. It smells weedy, grainy, and lemony. Nice.

Tastes exactly like it smells. Big, sweetnsour lemonade start, followed up by decent macro beeriness, ending on a sweet and weedy node. Nicely balanced.

A decent novelty beer. It's a novelty, keep that in mind. This is a self-declared shandy that has no pretentions of being a world class brew. With that in mind, it's not hard to enjoy...

3.5/5  rDev +12.5%

"Weiss beer with lemonade"

Isn't that a Russ?

Hazy, ghostly white in hue with a tint of yellow; white head, at the apex the head was two fingers tall. Good head retention, the bubbles were slow to fade to a soapy cap. Not much lacing, some unorganized clumps. Good appearance, overall...

Lemonade dominates the nose, as it should, I suppose. Clean wheat notes are noticeable once my nose adjusts to the massive lemon/citrus zest aroma. I can't really knock the nose; it says what it is suppose to say. I could envision, say, AB brewing something like this and either make it smell like a malternative or much weaker. Inviting for what it is... and yes, I do need to qualify my statement and dampened my praise.

The lemonade taste is not as strong as the nose indicated, which is okay. Wheat characteristics are easily detectable. I like the balance of sweet and tart. Clearly, the base beer is not a Bavarian-style wheat, it is just an American wheat ale. Modest wheaty-sweat-tart aftertaste, which was agreeable. While the beer is simple, lacks complexity, it does deliver the goods. I hated this beer last year... I was close-minded. Sure, it is not great but like I said, it delivers for a summer seasonal. I bet this would kill on a 101 degree day. I see why this beer is popular.

Medium-light in body, moderate carbonation, good mouthfeel; I like the clean, cleansing finish.

I am surprised by how much I like it as a summer seasonal. Granted, I'd rather mix my own Radler or Russ but this would do in a major pinch. Nothing to freak out about, nothing to bash... it is a descent, gimmicky beer. I must say, Leine does brew 4 really popular wheat ales (largely, for the non-BA crowd)... Summer Shandy, Berry Weiss, Honey Weiss, and Sunset Wheat. They found their niche, kudos to them.

3.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Better than I was expecting, never having had shandy before. I appreciate the fact that it does taste like "beer with lemonade," and not some sort of weird lemon-infused sports drink. The tastes blend pretty darn well, and it makes for a refreshing drink. I'm not sure if drinking a lot of it in a sitting would sit really well with me, (I get a sense that the lemon vs. beer might give me a stomach ache down the line) but it would be a good lawnmower beer.

On a side-note, I wonder if the beer the lemonade is blended with is Leinenkugel's Original or something different?

3.5/5  rDev +12.5%

I had this on tap in a plastic cup while in Ocean City sitting on the deck bar on a hot summer evening(Macky's bayside).

It was a great thrist quencher summer brew. Very strong lemon/lime flavors prevail. Not exactly a beer drinkers beer but for a good swill beer in the heat, it tasted much better that a Corona with lime in it. My report for this beer isn't under my usual quality controlled enviroment (lazy boy chair in living room with Sam Adams pint glass pour)so this report is more for my database than to be trusted as reliable by others.

3.5/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Looks like a soda except for the frothy, thick white head. Similar color to fresca.

Smells good. Lemony in an artificial way, but very fresh smelling.

First note is of lemon flavor. Letting it sit a little in my mouth produces a grassy, fresh taste. After taste more of grass and lemon zest.

Heavily carbonated which works for this beer. Relatively thin, but again, that works for this beer.

Overall, this is a pleasant, refreshing beer that is perfect for summer. It's not going to wow anybody, but it's a solid offering in the style.

3.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Well, well, the ol’ British Shandy – quite a paradox of taste and flavors, I must say.

I mean, yeah, = looky here, this thing has all the appearance of a lemonade – albeit a hazy lemon yellow cooler with a frothy white head and decent lacing. Powerful lemonade aroma, not too bad with the quaff. Subtle, but still a wheat brew with lemonade, an unique and enjoyable session – this things are only 4.2%

Gave one to the wifey, she likey and agreed it would make for a summer quencher and change of pace. Fork, give it a try as a nice summer change up. But man, donno about how they would slide after the first 2 or 3...

3.5/5  rDev +12.5%

I think all of Leinenkugels' fruit beers are the same: fruity and delicious, but leave you wishing they had something more distinguishing than which fruit is in this particular beer you're drinking at that moment.

3.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured into 10oz glass. Poured very lively, over 2 inches of fluffy white head that had moderate retention and no lacing. The beer was the cloudy yellow of a Hefe.

There was a solidly noticeable lemon scent at the front of the nose, with some earthy wheat coming in underneath. The lemon didn't come across as boldly on the tongue, it was still solidly present, but blended and balanced sicely with the base wheat beer.

The body was fairly typical for an American Wheat Ale, medium and clean. Drinkability was very good, I could easily see having a sixer of these while hanging out by the Nooksack River during the summer. Overall, a nice little beer. Worth your time.

3.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Reminds me of the boat, bass, cabin and the summer months. My choice in the summer everytime.

I drank it out of the bottle and the smell was fine, bit of fruitiness smell and tiny bit of grain. Taste is good and the mouthfeel fantastic during the summer months. Drinkability is fair, wouldn't be my choice to pound these one night, would rather go for some rolling rock.

3.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Appearance: Cloudy, light orangish yellow.
Smell: Lemonade; Lemonheads.
Taste: Lemon, citrus.
Mouthfeel: Light carbonation.

Well, you could have handed me this in a can and I would have had no clue that it was a beer and not just a lemon citrus pop...which I'm sure is going to yield some rough ratings and reviews on here. However, to me, if it's a hot day, I'd take this in a heartbeat. It's very refreshing. I won't go out of my way to buy it, but if I can get it for cheap, count me in for a pack.

3.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Exactly what I was expecting. I love lemon in the summertime. This brew is exactly what it should be. Light. Citrus. Delicious. Perfect for drinking by the pool side or in the hot sun. So much better a choice than a BMC IMO. As the sun begins to set, so too, set this aside for something more robust and interesting. But in the heat of the day....very cool.

3.52/5  rDev +13.2%

Cloudy yellow with small head.

Smells of lemon.

If you like Corona with lemon or lime you'll like this. It's refreshing and well balanced, tastes better than it smells.

My wife liked it a lot and it was on tap so I had some and it wasn't bad. Next time I'm laying on the beach, this might hit the spot.

3.52/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a 14 oz "pint" glass. Pours a cloudy yellowish straw color with a fluffy white head that dissipates quickly, but leaves a little lacing. Smells heavily of lemons, but there is general beer malt in the smell as well. Tastes of a lemonade mixed with a good adjunct lager, but not offensively. This light bodied beer is very smooth, carbonated correctly, and quite a bit could be consumed without realizing it. Overall, a slightly above average beer.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company