Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007

Reviews: 603 | Hads: 3,302
3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

Better than I was expecting, never having had shandy before. I appreciate the fact that it does taste like "beer with lemonade," and not some sort of weird lemon-infused sports drink. The tastes blend pretty darn well, and it makes for a refreshing drink. I'm not sure if drinking a lot of it in a sitting would sit really well with me, (I get a sense that the lemon vs. beer might give me a stomach ache down the line) but it would be a good lawnmower beer.

On a side-note, I wonder if the beer the lemonade is blended with is Leinenkugel's Original or something different? (575 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

I had this on tap in a plastic cup while in Ocean City sitting on the deck bar on a hot summer evening(Macky's bayside).

It was a great thrist quencher summer brew. Very strong lemon/lime flavors prevail. Not exactly a beer drinkers beer but for a good swill beer in the heat, it tasted much better that a Corona with lime in it. My report for this beer isn't under my usual quality controlled enviroment (lazy boy chair in living room with Sam Adams pint glass pour)so this report is more for my database than to be trusted as reliable by others. (548 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Looks like a soda except for the frothy, thick white head. Similar color to fresca.

Smells good. Lemony in an artificial way, but very fresh smelling.

First note is of lemon flavor. Letting it sit a little in my mouth produces a grassy, fresh taste. After taste more of grass and lemon zest.

Heavily carbonated which works for this beer. Relatively thin, but again, that works for this beer.

Overall, this is a pleasant, refreshing beer that is perfect for summer. It's not going to wow anybody, but it's a solid offering in the style. (539 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

Well, well, the ol’ British Shandy – quite a paradox of taste and flavors, I must say.

I mean, yeah, = looky here, this thing has all the appearance of a lemonade – albeit a hazy lemon yellow cooler with a frothy white head and decent lacing. Powerful lemonade aroma, not too bad with the quaff. Subtle, but still a wheat brew with lemonade, an unique and enjoyable session – this things are only 4.2%

Gave one to the wifey, she likey and agreed it would make for a summer quencher and change of pace. Fork, give it a try as a nice summer change up. But man, donno about how they would slide after the first 2 or 3... (627 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

I think all of Leinenkugels' fruit beers are the same: fruity and delicious, but leave you wishing they had something more distinguishing than which fruit is in this particular beer you're drinking at that moment. (213 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured into 10oz glass. Poured very lively, over 2 inches of fluffy white head that had moderate retention and no lacing. The beer was the cloudy yellow of a Hefe.

There was a solidly noticeable lemon scent at the front of the nose, with some earthy wheat coming in underneath. The lemon didn't come across as boldly on the tongue, it was still solidly present, but blended and balanced sicely with the base wheat beer.

The body was fairly typical for an American Wheat Ale, medium and clean. Drinkability was very good, I could easily see having a sixer of these while hanging out by the Nooksack River during the summer. Overall, a nice little beer. Worth your time. (670 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

Reminds me of the boat, bass, cabin and the summer months. My choice in the summer everytime.

I drank it out of the bottle and the smell was fine, bit of fruitiness smell and tiny bit of grain. Taste is good and the mouthfeel fantastic during the summer months. Drinkability is fair, wouldn't be my choice to pound these one night, would rather go for some rolling rock. (372 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

Appearance: Cloudy, light orangish yellow.
Smell: Lemonade; Lemonheads.
Taste: Lemon, citrus.
Mouthfeel: Light carbonation.

Well, you could have handed me this in a can and I would have had no clue that it was a beer and not just a lemon citrus pop...which I'm sure is going to yield some rough ratings and reviews on here. However, to me, if it's a hot day, I'd take this in a heartbeat. It's very refreshing. I won't go out of my way to buy it, but if I can get it for cheap, count me in for a pack. (503 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

Exactly what I was expecting. I love lemon in the summertime. This brew is exactly what it should be. Light. Citrus. Delicious. Perfect for drinking by the pool side or in the hot sun. So much better a choice than a BMC IMO. As the sun begins to set, so too, set this aside for something more robust and interesting. But in the heat of the day....very cool. (357 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +12.5%

Cloudy yellow with small head.

Smells of lemon.

If you like Corona with lemon or lime you'll like this. It's refreshing and well balanced, tastes better than it smells.

My wife liked it a lot and it was on tap so I had some and it wasn't bad. Next time I'm laying on the beach, this might hit the spot. (305 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a 14 oz "pint" glass. Pours a cloudy yellowish straw color with a fluffy white head that dissipates quickly, but leaves a little lacing. Smells heavily of lemons, but there is general beer malt in the smell as well. Tastes of a lemonade mixed with a good adjunct lager, but not offensively. This light bodied beer is very smooth, carbonated correctly, and quite a bit could be consumed without realizing it. Overall, a slightly above average beer. (479 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can in a pint glass for this review. It's a beer that I've had a few times over the years, on tap and bottled also.

A-Very hazy, thick cloud texture of a light lemon color. The one-finger pure white color head fades fast to a thin film. Nice rings of lacing.

S- Fresh squeezed lemon in a light grainy lager.

T- Very light pale wheat with lemon notes. Just a touch of honey sweetness.

M- Citrus tang with carbonation snap. Light and refreshing , tart. No bitterness or evidence of alcohol.

O- A pleasing Summer brew. It's not rocket science or reinventing weiss beer, but the formula works. "An adventurous taste. Perfect for Summertime fun" is Leinie's slogan for it...I agree. (687 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +12.5%

Overall a nice summer thirst quencher

Beery lemonade -- if you like the other offerings from Leinenkugels this will be up your alley

Tart slightly artificial lemonade flavor

One is enough in a sitting - although I look forward to one on a 90 degree August afternoon (268 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +12.8%

Looks, smells and tastes like some strange beer/lemonade hybrid.

Has a cloudy, almost milky appearance. Nice white head with good retention.

I didn't think I would like this one, I haven't had good experiences in the past with fruit "enhanced" beers--see Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic. But I really enjoyed the bottle I had. Maybe it had something to do with the weather; I drank it on a 94-degree day with typical Midwest humidity. Not sure if it's more like lemonade-flavored beer or beer-flavored lemonade, but it is seriously refreshing after mowing the lawn. (563 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Huge white fluffy head in a frosted mug with a fair lacing over a murky golden tan colored brew. The lemon is easily detected in the aroma to the extent that it's pretty hard to pick up much else, almost lemon-lime. If your not use to this mixture, it's a bit of a surprise, but you can adjust to it if you're open minded. Tastes sort of like a mellow lemon cake with modest sweetness. It's very easy drinking and refreshing and I would say it grows on you depending on your expectations. I probably could enjoy these if I just think more lemonade than beer, not often such a desirable option but, I can handle it once in a great while. (636 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +12.8%

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company, Inc.--Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy Weiss Beer With Lemonade--Beer With Natural Lemonade Flavor--2009 12 oz. Bottle. 4.20% ABV. 10 IBU's. (3.5 / 5.0) Sediment hint. Thin foamy mild lace white head. Cloudy bright lemon white color. Rich lemon wheat ester front. Tangy fizzy sweet citrus lemon wheat grass thin soda pop easy to guzzle body. Refreshing crisp dry lemon citrus end. Over the top lemon. 10 Mile 90 F Tasty. Sampled 8/16/2010. 6-Pack overpriced @ $8.99. (496 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +13.1%

Quite surprised by this one...always heard of shandy style beer and I was not let down. Very sour/fruit smell and a taste to follow. Low on head and carbonation but I don't believe a large head is necessary on this beer. Definitely represents the Leinenkugel family well with the fruit theme and very drinkable. Would recommend it during the summer due to the lemonade mixed with beer...makes a very interesting/exotic summer drink. (432 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +13.1%

This beer is a great session beer, sitting out back or by the pool on a hot day. This is by far one of the better summer shandy's out there. I really prefer this on a hot day then my go to paulander heifer. A wheat beer on a hot summer day or night is what I look forward to after a long day at work. If you like wheat beers then this is a good one. Not for everyone but for me it just fine. Going in to get my third one now. (425 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +13.1%

For me it has nice carbonation. The fragrance below average, it should have a much stronger fragrance of lemon since its lemon the beer touts as one of the selling points. Needs a stronger lemon up front not just the hint on the after taste. An above average summer cook out beer. (280 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

OK, give this beer a break people. It is what it says it is. It is a summer shandy. Its a summertime beer. It is light, crisp, refreshing and slightly sweet. The smell is of lemon candy, or country time lemonade. It taste like a wheat beer with country time lemonade mixed in. Fizzy, citrus, some sour tart lemon swells with the malt background. Its a cloudy beer but it has some creamy head and lace. This would hit the spot after mowing the grass in the hot summer sun. Serve this one cold. It says it is Weiss beer with lemonade and that is exactly what it taste like. They get an A+ for nailing what they set out to do. This should be graded by its style which is a style of its own. And it is what it says it is. There are good qualities to this beer, it just isn't what most beer drinkers are used to when they think beer. Nothing complex or outstanding, but very easy to drink. (884 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +13.4%

Single, 12 oz bottle purchased from Total Wine and More in West Orange for $1.59...
Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat happened to be one of my all-time favorite light beers, so I usually eagerly anticipate sampling a new one from this brewery whenever I can...
"Beer with natural lemonade flavor" on the yellow front logo sticker...
Pours a cloudy, murky, straw-colored, light yellow appearance that really did mimic a hazy lemonade...
A distinct aroma of fresh lemons is immediately noticeable, along with a suggestion of other citrus and wheat...
Taste strongly complemented the aroma, with a burst of spiked lemon, citrus, wheat, and slight coriander, perhaps...
Light, watery mouthfeel, not too rich or thick, but certainly very drinkable and would do well on a hot, summer day...
Decent stuff, and an interesting take... (818 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a frosty mug.

The color of this beer is a foggy yellow that does not allow you to see to the other side. Some foamy white head on top and some little lacing left on the glass.

The smell is really strong with a citrus flavor. Lemon comes right out and announces itself with a nice bit of wheat flavor. Nice and crisp from the nose.

The taste is really lemon flavored at first and really seem to hold back anything else from being noticed. Just as you think it will be all lemon, some bitter hop comes in ever so slightly so as not to go by without a hint. From there it's a slight wheat feel and then the lemon kisses the end of the beer as it goes down.

The feel of this beer is light and goes down really well so long as the strong lemon flavor does not overpower you and turn you off. I liked this beer a bit but I realize that it was helped a bit from the beach being only feet away as I review this. That being said, a really good summer beer but really only a summer beer. (1,013 characters)

3.56/5  rDev +13.7%

12 oz. bottle into a freshly rinsed pint glass.

A- Pours a hazy yellow with more head than I expected.
S- Lemon, that's about it.
T- The taste is strongly dominated by sweet lemon. Really this beer just tastes like Leine's Honey Weiss with a bunch of lemonade dumped in.
M- Thin with moderate carbonation.
D- If I didn't know this was beer before tasting I might mistake it for something else. That said, these are great on a hot summer day at the beach, playing golf, etc, and when appreciated for what it is can definitely be enjoyed. (538 characters)

3.56/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 ounce longneck twisty cap into a Shaker pint glass. A moderate pour produces about 1/2 inch of creamy white head, which dissipates quickly but still coats the sides of the glass. I see myriad swirls of carbonation dimly through the hazy, yellowish-orange brew. The beer really looks like liquid lemon meringue pie.

I can definitely smell lemon with perhaps a bit of corn mash and a whiff of aromatic hops. Very distinct lemon taste on the tongue- it actually tastes like real lemon. Despite the fruity flavor, a light malt taste shines through, along with a kiss of earthy hops. The body is light, yet the mouth feel is creamy. I think maybe the beer could use more bitterness provided by some hops with a light citrusy character, which would compliment the lemon quite well.

This is about the best commercial shandy I've tried. I really like this as a lunch beer when the weather gets hot. (909 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +14.1%

This is a great summer beer. It pours out a straw yellow and clear. The beer has a moderate head that quickly dissipates. The bouquet was slightly heavy on the lemon side. The citrus component keeps that alcohol in check, leaving a pleasant scent on the mind.

The taste was lemonadey, the body was light with nice mouthfeel. Easy drinkin', refreshing on the hot dog days of a PA august. (389 characters)

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company