2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Leinenkugel's Summer ShandyLeinenkugel's Summer Shandy

Ratings: 2068

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)
View: Beers (34) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,068 | Reviews: 520 | Show All Ratings:
bubseymour

3.55/5  rDev +13.4%

I had this on tap in a plastic cup while in Ocean City sitting on the deck bar on a hot summer evening(Macky's bayside).

It was a great thrist quencher summer brew. Very strong lemon/lime flavors prevail. Not exactly a beer drinkers beer but for a good swill beer in the heat, it tasted much better that a Corona with lime in it. My report for this beer isn't under my usual quality controlled enviroment (lazy boy chair in living room with Sam Adams pint glass pour)so this report is more for my database than to be trusted as reliable by others.

06-19-2011 22:51:53 | More by bubseymour
RoamingGnome

3.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured out of a 12oz can into a pint glass.

A) It's a rather pleasing cloudy yellow, topped off with a nice inch of white head. The head is gone quickly, no lacing.

S) I've had this summer brew a number of times, and never really considered the smell. I guess that's because it gets consumed quickly right from the can or bottle. Having said all of that, I'm glad I never took a deep whiff, because it immediately reminded me of Lemon Pledge. I don't think beer should smell like something you dust with.

T) Normally smell would be a good indicator, but not in this case. I find the taste to be pretty good. It seems to be light malt and lemon, with an okay finish.

M) It's light, crisp, and highly refreshing.

O) This is a decent brew served ice cold on a summer day. I like it while golfing, right from the can. It gives me the beer confidence I need to sink 6 ft putts, while the 4.2% ABV doesn't turn me into more of a duffer then I already am.

06-13-2011 10:15:28 | More by RoamingGnome
mooselvlt

2.88/5  rDev -8%

Pint on tap

A - Cloudy, straw color. Finger of white foam, Decent retention. Carbonated

S - Smells of light lemons. Thats really about all I pick up.

T - Meh...follows the nose. Some lemon peel, very light malts. Lemon lingers on the tongue after the finish. Just not much there for me.

M - Very light bodied, highly carbonated. Watery thin.

O - The appearance surprised me. Wasn't expecting the cloudiness. Just not a fan. I'm not a fruit beer guy to being with and this one just confirms yet again why.

06-06-2011 01:11:48 | More by mooselvlt
Stunner97

3.43/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance- yellow and cloudy and murky off the pour, very yellow in color almost like a lemonade

Smell- Very lemony nose for sure, it smells like lemonade really does and a little touch of wheat and beer,

Taste- tastes very unique in style where its almost truly a mix of lemonade and beer, it has good amount of lemon flavor up front and that becomes touch of hop and wheat in the back, its a little bit sweet in flavor but not overally cloying, keeps just enough balance

Mouthfeel- medium to light bodied with crisp carbonation good smooth beer

Drinkablity/ overall- overall this beer is decent and is pretty drinkable, i would call it almost some what of a novelty beer, its really a cross of being like a beer and fruit juice and being a less sweet manlier version of like a mikes lemonade, its not a bad beer certainly for a hot summer day or would do quite well out of a can at the beach but probably not something i would buy often just to chug sitting around the house, also a good beer to bring to people who don't really drink beer

06-03-2011 23:13:56 | More by Stunner97
BigDRS

3.3/5  rDev +5.4%

On tap at Roosters in Columbus, Ohio.

Served in a tall pint glass. Beer had basically 0 head when it got to me. Looks more like a glass of lemonade than a glass of beer.

Smells kind of like a lemonhead candy with a bit of wheat in the background. Nose is pretty impressive but ...

The taste is disappointing. The lemon notes that come across in the nose don't make it through. Beer is a bit too bland and grainy for me.

Mouthfeel is quite light. Carbonation levels are a bit low and the beer comes across as a bit watery.

Overall, I'd buy this for a hot afternoon out grilling or on the boat. Otherwise, I'll drink something else.

05-28-2011 03:10:01 | More by BigDRS
alleykatking

2.58/5  rDev -17.6%

Had on tap...

A- Poured a light hazed golden yellow color. I mean this color looked more like the crayloa crayon color unmellow yellow. One and a half finger white head shows light retention leaving light streaks on the side of the glass that fall back into the beer.

S- Lemon. This has a Country Time mix like aroma to it. This smells sugary sweet and there is not anything else that really comes through on the rest of the nose. Maybe a hint of grain but to be honest I gave up after about 5 minutes of trying to pick anything else out.

T- Artifical lemon comes out first and foremost with a sugary sweetness to it. This kind of tones down a slight bit showcasing a lemon zest kind of flavor toward the middle. Also in the middle there is a hint of wet grain which is the first flavor I can pick up on that wasn't lemon. Ending of the beer shows some more grain like flavor with a hint of wheat like flavor before being blasted into lemon land once again. It takes of lemon more than anything else.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation was high I thought for the beer but then again I have only had one other Shandy style beer to base this off of. Lemon, lemon, and more lemon is left on the palate and long into the aftertaste. Flavors were underbalanced with the lemon being a one sided flavor in this beer. No off flavors were present although the sweetness of the beer was in itself a little bit of a offness. Light alcohol drying on the palate with each sip but not really anything you'll notice.

O- This beer is not anything I look for when I go to the store or walk into a bar. It has a long underlying sweetness to it that I find a little too much for me. Not really sure I would drink this one again myself but if it were to be offered to me I don't think I could have more than one. More of a "girlie" type beer but seems to be loved by the masses stateside.

05-27-2011 00:58:33 | More by alleykatking
Brenden

2.85/5  rDev -8.9%

Cans just popped up next to the bottles at the local stores for around $1.

There's really very little difference from bottle to can. What I do get is a weaker head that struggles and leaves almost nothing behind. In that respect, the main difference is the appearance. It's a shandy, so it is what it is, it's simply not a well-made one given that the lemon aspect overtakes all but the slightest inkling that this is a beer. It's a lemon soda with slight beer character. Shandy's not a beer purist's dream come true, but pick up a Stiegl (sp?) if you're going to get one. Otherwise, just drink this as something like Chrystal light mixed with Sprite. As such, perhaps it is pretty tasty.

05-18-2011 01:10:59 | More by Brenden
nickthetick

2.35/5  rDev -24.9%

A: pours a cloudy straw yellow with a huge pure white head that doesn't hang around too long and only leaves a bit of spotty lacing.

S: ok, it smells like crystal light lemonade sweetened with honey. Its a nice smell but not for a beer.

T: taste is a lot like the nose but not as much, to say I didn't get as much on the tongue as the nose would fit well.

MF: heavy carbonation and watered down.

O: not a good beer, throw a slice of lemon in it and I could easily confuse it with crystal light with some sprite mixed in.

05-18-2011 01:03:35 | More by nickthetick
Groucho75

Georgia

2.45/5  rDev -21.7%

Since the beer selection at the renaissance festival was limited to Coors products, and I was not in the mood for mead, I pretty much stuck with this for an afternoon.

Poured a murky brown-ish gold with some carbonation. What little head was there evaporated within a few minutes.

Aroma was slightly spicy with some citrus hints, but I"m also giving that edge to the lime wedge they gave me. Guess they were short of lemons that day...

As far as taste goes, a crisp start gives was to some malt flavor. Sugar (honey) was abundant throughout.

Mouthfeel was fine as this was the paramount reason to have a beer in the hot sun at a festival. Since the ABV was relatively mild, you could knock this back most of an afternoon and be fine.

For what it's worth, this isn't the worst beer in the world. Is it great? Heavens no. But if it's sunny, you're outside for a couple of hours and have to quench that thirst, you could do a lot worse.

05-01-2011 14:58:00 | More by Groucho75
weizenbob

2.15/5  rDev -31.3%

This 12 ounce can of Summer Shandy came from a Summer Variety 12-Pack. What a novel idea. Best by July 4, 2011. From the label: "Weiss beer brewed with honey with natural lemonade flavor." Uh, that sounds weird, but whatever. I cracked this open and poured into a weizen glass.

A moderate pour produces three fingers of foamy lemon-tinted head. Retention is moderate. The brew is maize colored and incredibly hazy but not dirty looking. The amount of haziness provides almost zero translucence. It's exceeding my expectations in appearance.

The aroma is dominated by a strange artificial lemon scent. I cut my teeth on Short's Brewing Company beers so I should be used to this kind of thing; but I'm telling you, this beer smells weird. Taking a big whiff is akin to huffing household cleaning products. In a blind scent test I doubt that I would identify it as beer.

The overall effect on the palate is that of watered down Diet Snapple Lemonade, complete with NutraSweet brand artificial sweetener. It does have a recognizable wheat finish, but at that point it's more like "who put beer in my nasty fake lemonade?" rather than the other way around. It is just all around watery and artificial. Approaching it as beer, I can't help but feel disappointment. Approaching it as some other form of liquid summer refreshment still leaves me on the fence. Why wouldn't I just drink lemonade...or beer?

This is a light bodied brew for sure. In the mouth it is tingly thanks to the high amount of carbonation and sharp lemon bite. It leaves an unpleasant acidic feeling on my teeth that I could do without. It's actually kind of refreshing, though it only vaguely resembles beer.

Overall, I can't say that I would recommend Summer Shandy to anyone. Aside from being a confusing beverage, it just isn't that good. At roughly a dollar a can it's not that great a value either. The upside is the relatively low 4.2% ABV. If equal parts water and Diet Snapple is your thing then you could drink these all day in the hot summer sun. As for me, I will be sticking with ice cold Arnold Palmers for my non-beer summer refreshment needs.

---

The Two-Schlitz Scale: (see my profile for an explanation)
I do not give a Schlitz for Summer Shandy. I do not give a Snapple for Summer Shandy. And just to be clear; I do not give a lemon scented Pine Sol for Summer Shandy.

04-29-2011 00:13:36 | More by weizenbob
chaz01

2.63/5  rDev -16%

Pint Draft special at Archer's Tavern where you get to keep the glass. Nice pint glass - narrow on bottom and opens up a bit at top.

A: murky bright yellow color, opaque, thick head.

S: very lemony, citrusy aroma, but not like a hop aroma -- more like lemonade or lemon candy.

T: Very lemony flavor reminds me of furniture polish and lemonade. Some wheat flavor, but mostly hidden by the sweet flavors. Cardboard aftertaste.

M: light to Med bodied, well carbonated.

D: I can only imagine enjoying this on a hot day leading up to something else. The glassware is the best part.

04-13-2011 21:53:44 | More by chaz01
evanlarkin

District of Columbia

3.58/5  rDev +14.4%

Appearance:
Pours a muddy yellow color with a finger of white head, which dissipates into about an 1/8" topping.

Smell:
Lemons and sugar. That pretty much sums this one up. It smells just like lemonade.

Taste:
Lemonade and orange rind flavors with some sweet malt in the background. Lemony bitterness that doesn't really taste like it's coming from hops.

Mouthfeel:
Creamy and lightly carbonated. The taste lingers, but doesn't stick to your mouth the way lemonade would.

Drinkability:
During summer, this would be a drink of choice when I'm looking for something fruity. During the winter, I mostly take it out of my reserves to rebel against winter. As for being a beer, it... doesn't taste like beer. Still, great as it's own drink.

03-03-2011 21:40:44 | More by evanlarkin
BeanBone

3.13/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: A completely cloudy lemon-colored body capped by two fingers of bubbly off-white head that leaves no lacing. This looks like a slice of lemon meringue pie in a glass.

Aroma: The lemon meringue theme continues in the nose. Lots of juicy and sweet lemon over a weak whiff of beer. This is exactly what I remember from my childhood.

Flavor: Lots of crisp and candied lemon over a mild wheat backbone. The lemonade here is more American in style than British, but it still works. It's not very complicated, but it was never really meant to be. Lemon and grain in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with sharpish spritzy carbonation that's reminiscent of soda.

Drinkability: As long as you're not completely turned off by the conceit of a Shandy, this is as drinkable as intended.

Verdict: You have to take Summer Shandy for what it is, an easy drinking beer cocktail designed for people who don't really like beer. Taking that into account, along with my fondness for Shandies as a lad, I have to say I kinda like it.

10-15-2010 16:35:09 | More by BeanBone
tykees88

3.1/5  rDev -1%

haha this beer cracks me up.

A- golden lemon yellow. with a super white foamy head.

S- lemon peel, lemon citrus, lemonade, a lot of lemon here.

T- it's lemony for sure, some hops but hardly anything.

M- super light, crisp and not too carbonated considering i would just wanna call this a mike's hard.

D- on a hot day at a picnic sure why not... but for a beer person just don't waste money on it. Worth trying, but not worth buying.

10-14-2010 23:11:12 | More by tykees88
HosP

2.35/5  rDev -24.9%

Thanks to my wife who ordered this and made me finish it!

A- A cloudy orange color. White head that left very fast.

S- Not a lot of nose to it. Mostly lemony, citrus smell.

T- Wow, lots of lemon up front. Not much taste to it once you get past the heavy citrus. Tasted like a spiked ade drink.

M- Moderate carbonation. Light body. Very crisp taste to it.

D- Well it's better than coors light. I drank this after an Alpha King on tap so the flavors were very subdued to me. I really have no desire to ever drink another one of these.... unless stale yellow beer is the only other alternative.

08-19-2010 02:21:25 | More by HosP
UpNorthLager

3.3/5  rDev +5.4%

Usually I've had this in a bottle, but the tavern my friends play volleyball for had it on tap. I was surprised to see a nice full head on the goblet. The lemon zestiness of this beer certainly makes this a mood beer for me. But the refreshing taste makes it very drinkable. It had a slight tan tint to the golden hue. Nothing too complex, a lighter flavored beer with a thorough lemon infusion.

07-31-2010 15:40:42 | More by UpNorthLager
AgentZero

1.25/5  rDev -60.1%

A - A hazy yellow color with a big white head, no lacing.

S - Smells like someone pissed in some lemonade. Seriously, that's what it smells like. Truly horrible skunked lemon and malts.

T - This is one of the all-time worst beers I have ever tasted. Disgusting, tastes like fizzy lemonade that has gone bad with a little bit of malt in it. I actually think I'd rather have a wine cooler.

M - A bit watery, and way carbonated. I don't know that it's super bad, but it's sure not adding anything to the experience.

D - It tastes so repulsive I couldn't get more than about a quarter of the way through it, and I really tried.

07-20-2010 21:22:40 | More by AgentZero
daledeee

Iowa

3.3/5  rDev +5.4%

A can got left in my fridge so I thought I would try it.

This poured a very light and very cloudy yellow. It started with a nice head but that went away quickly.

The nose is strong tart lemonade. I like that when I drink lemonade. We shall see if it is good for beer...

Taste is pretty much lemonade. The finish is too dry for me; rather astringent. Lemon rind becomes apparent in the finish. This does not taste much like beer but more like carbonated lemonade.

07-18-2010 22:56:59 | More by daledeee
zimm421

2.68/5  rDev -14.4%

Served in a pint glass, appears a hazy yellow color with an average amount of white head and some lacing.

Smells strongly of lemon, but also fairly sweet. Doesn't really smell like a beer to me, no malts or hops whatsoever, just lemon. The taste is somewhat better, getting some grains but still overpowered by the lemon.

The mouthfeel is light bodied, with average carbonation, nothing really out of the ordinary. This isn't difficult to drink, but I won't have it unless there are no other options. Goes down decently on a hot day after a few other drinks, but really not impressed.

06-28-2010 01:57:47 | More by zimm421
bradleyp

3.15/5  rDev +0.6%

Tried this at Lamp Lighters in Palatine. Beer of the month apparently at this place. The color is a straw very light color. Smells of lemon and wheat. This tasted like lemonade on crack. Could only handle two before I switched back to some better beers. It would be good on a nice summer day when you want something light and refreshing.

06-20-2010 02:54:13 | More by bradleyp
WVbeergeek

2.93/5  rDev -6.4%

Hazed lemong glow golden with a bright white creamy head forming thick witha fizzy head, lacing is nice fine and scattered on the sides of my chalice. Aroma heavy with the lemonzest almost like a cleaning supply lemon, it's very zesty. Flavors clear out the nostrils with lemon zest and really hit heavy with the tartness definitely some biscuit/wheat malt characteristics but the lemon zest rolls a bit too hard I couldn't drink many of these even though I really like the can they're packaged in. Very carbonated light bodied mouthfeel that is a bit too much. Drinkability is weak, tasty brew a bit heavy on the lemon zest doesn't work out as a standby regular for me.

05-29-2010 14:26:49 | More by WVbeergeek
Cubsfan1087

Iowa

I recently found the Summer Shandy in a can and had to try it. It smells of lemon, and it definitely tastes like lemon. This beer goes down very smoothly. It would be easy to drink a lot of these. I'm surprised the rating is so low on here. This is a very decent summer beer. I recommend trying this beer if you haven't.

04-18-2010 05:27:21 | More by Cubsfan1087
Zekezilla

2.58/5  rDev -17.6%

Tried this at a baseball game last night. I often will at least try seasonal offerings because well...they aren't always available. I had reasonably high hopes because I like regular Linenkugel. I was very disappointed. Way too much lemon flavor. Tastes more like lemonade than beer. Would not order again.

04-17-2010 13:50:20 | More by Zekezilla
dewalt

A mix of beer and lemonade, and Leinenkugel gets both parts wrong.

This beer looks nice: hazy and rich, with a big frothy white head. Like a good hefeweizen.

It smells like lemon zest, pale wheat and corn; basically, cheap beer with bottled lemon concentrate.

Tastes like sugar water with a twist. There are hints of pale ale, and a bit of beery aftertaste. But the beer tastes weak and the lemonade tastes powdered.

It's easy drinking, and at only 4.2% ABV, very sessionable. But why bother?

03-23-2010 18:52:07 | More by dewalt
AmberMan22

Fairly mixed feelings about this one. It is a good, casual summer drinker in certain settings, but not others.

Beach -- good
Barbeque -- not so good.

They advertise this as 'beer with a hint of lemonade' but it's honestly the other way around. It isn't terrible, but it barely feels like beer. May as well reach for a Mike's hard, you won't look that much worse for doing so.

02-20-2010 23:23:01 | More by AmberMan22