1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Leinenkugel's Summer ShandyLeinenkugel's Summer Shandy

Ratings: 2057

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)
View: Beers (34) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,057 | Reviews: 519 | Show All Ratings:
biglobo8971

2.95/5  rDev -5.8%

this is one of my wife's favorite beers, being the fact I have nothing else left to drink, I had to open it.
A- very pale yellow, maybe pale isnt the word to use. How about urine like?
S - Citrus is the only thing I can smell, lots of citrus
T - citrus rine, some sweetness, lots of citrus bitterness
M - easy to drink, if you like lemonade
O - this is one beer that is constantly in my fridge that I dont like to touch. Not to say its a bad beer, but it leaves me wanting to drink something with more flavor and bite.
good lawnmower beer, or beer to throw through a lawnmower.

07-25-2011 02:35:41 | More by biglobo8971
portia99

3.03/5  rDev -3.2%

12oz can poured into a Brooklyn snifter. My dad loves this beer, so I bought him a 12pk for when he comes over to the house...figured I'd give one a shot on this warm summer night.

A - Pours a very hazy/cloudy translucent extra pale golden color - somewhat fruit juice like. A strong finger of very fizzy soda-y head rises on the pour and loudly disintegrates to the surface leaving a mono-layer of bubbles for a collar and nothing else. Not that impressive for a wheat based beer.

S - Pure lemonade on the nose complete with a sugary sweetness on top of the fruit. I like lemonade and enjoy this smell too, but its difficult to reconcile this as beer from the aroma.

T - Yep, lemonade on the tongue too...but not a clean lemonade flavor, almost like there is a splash of orange juice? in there too. The faintest hint of wheat can be found as well as a sprinkle of hoppy bitterness.

M - Thin, fruity/lemony, Sprite-like, fizzy and very prickly strong carbonation level.

O - Objectively, this isn't a very good beer. In fact it doesn't even resemble beer...Mike's Hard Lemonade is more beer-like than this. This being said, I kinda enjoy this on its own, standing by itself without attaching a label to it. Hot day, mowing the lawn, a 12pk could disappear quickly...just think of it as a refreshing lemon drink with a touch of alcohol in it...it's not bad. I like it, but this isn't beer!

07-21-2011 01:21:45 | More by portia99
Ahoyhoyindeed

3.98/5  rDev +27.2%

Admittedly I'm a sucker for sweeter beers, but even I was skeptical at a lemonade/beer combo. However girly it may be, it is a delicious and refreshing beer that manages to eliminate all of the negatives of a malt beverage like Mike's Hard or a flavored beer like Bud Light Lime. There's no lingering sweetness, and isn't harsh on the stomach acid wise. You can taste the beer and the lemonade, but neither are bad. The flavors don't taste fake or forced. Great refreshing beer for a summer barbeque.

07-14-2011 16:35:11 | More by Ahoyhoyindeed
ZAP

3.38/5  rDev +8%

Have been putting off trying this one for ages and decided to spring for a mixed 12-pack with this in it.

Not a lot to report....american wheat ale meets lemonade....aroma is big on the lemons....taste leans heavier toward the wheat ale...then some lemonade notes and some honey feel to the taste as well....really looks the part in the glass..

In a way it is kind of refreshing. Low ABV....I sweated my ass of in the weight room tonight and this actually kind of hits the spot for me. Might grab one out of a friends cooler on a hot day or something but not thinking I'll be buying much of this.

07-12-2011 04:13:10 | More by ZAP
BeerFMAndy

3.8/5  rDev +21.4%

12 oz can poured into a Leinie's imperial pint.
4.2% ABV, Jul 18 11 printed on the bottom.

A - Likek cloudy, fresh lemonade, this beer is pale straw yellow and hazed through completely. A billowing white head crowns the beer and descends from three fingers very slowly while leaving lace down the whole pint!

S - Pale malt, soft wheat, and a big, strong aroma of citrusy lemonade give this a seasonally delicious aroma that signals the beginning to summer fun and refreshment.

T - Pale malt, notes of dry straw, and soft but mild wheat make up the base of the brew. A mildly sweetened lemonade citrus comes through at the end.

M - Citrus tang all over, this refreshing beer is crisp and medium-light bodied with a high carbonated, refreshing, semi-sweet but not cloying finish.

O - Hey, it is what it is; a refreshing summer thirst quencher. Would I want more than one or possibly two? No, not really, but it gets the job done and anyone that likes lemonade can't say this isn't good, cause that's basically what it is.

06-21-2011 12:10:21 | More by BeerFMAndy
ONUMello

3.03/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can poured into a pint glass.
A: Cloudy lemonade yellow. Short head that dissipates quickly.
S: Smells like dried lemonade mix.
T: Tastes more like lemonade than beer. I haven't had a Mike's in a while but would be curious to drink one side by side with this. A bit of caramel malt on the finish.
M: Nice, light, crispy.
O: Overall it's better than the sum of its parts. Not a complex or traditional beer, but a tasty summer drink.

06-20-2011 12:29:24 | More by ONUMello
RoamingGnome

3.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured out of a 12oz can into a pint glass.

A) It's a rather pleasing cloudy yellow, topped off with a nice inch of white head. The head is gone quickly, no lacing.

S) I've had this summer brew a number of times, and never really considered the smell. I guess that's because it gets consumed quickly right from the can or bottle. Having said all of that, I'm glad I never took a deep whiff, because it immediately reminded me of Lemon Pledge. I don't think beer should smell like something you dust with.

T) Normally smell would be a good indicator, but not in this case. I find the taste to be pretty good. It seems to be light malt and lemon, with an okay finish.

M) It's light, crisp, and highly refreshing.

O) This is a decent brew served ice cold on a summer day. I like it while golfing, right from the can. It gives me the beer confidence I need to sink 6 ft putts, while the 4.2% ABV doesn't turn me into more of a duffer then I already am.

06-13-2011 10:15:28 | More by RoamingGnome
Brenden

2.85/5  rDev -8.9%

Cans just popped up next to the bottles at the local stores for around $1.

There's really very little difference from bottle to can. What I do get is a weaker head that struggles and leaves almost nothing behind. In that respect, the main difference is the appearance. It's a shandy, so it is what it is, it's simply not a well-made one given that the lemon aspect overtakes all but the slightest inkling that this is a beer. It's a lemon soda with slight beer character. Shandy's not a beer purist's dream come true, but pick up a Stiegl (sp?) if you're going to get one. Otherwise, just drink this as something like Chrystal light mixed with Sprite. As such, perhaps it is pretty tasty.

05-18-2011 01:10:59 | More by Brenden
nickthetick

Maryland

2.35/5  rDev -24.9%

A: pours a cloudy straw yellow with a huge pure white head that doesn't hang around too long and only leaves a bit of spotty lacing.

S: ok, it smells like crystal light lemonade sweetened with honey. Its a nice smell but not for a beer.

T: taste is a lot like the nose but not as much, to say I didn't get as much on the tongue as the nose would fit well.

MF: heavy carbonation and watered down.

O: not a good beer, throw a slice of lemon in it and I could easily confuse it with crystal light with some sprite mixed in.

05-18-2011 01:03:35 | More by nickthetick
weizenbob

2.15/5  rDev -31.3%

This 12 ounce can of Summer Shandy came from a Summer Variety 12-Pack. What a novel idea. Best by July 4, 2011. From the label: "Weiss beer brewed with honey with natural lemonade flavor." Uh, that sounds weird, but whatever. I cracked this open and poured into a weizen glass.

A moderate pour produces three fingers of foamy lemon-tinted head. Retention is moderate. The brew is maize colored and incredibly hazy but not dirty looking. The amount of haziness provides almost zero translucence. It's exceeding my expectations in appearance.

The aroma is dominated by a strange artificial lemon scent. I cut my teeth on Short's Brewing Company beers so I should be used to this kind of thing; but I'm telling you, this beer smells weird. Taking a big whiff is akin to huffing household cleaning products. In a blind scent test I doubt that I would identify it as beer.

The overall effect on the palate is that of watered down Diet Snapple Lemonade, complete with NutraSweet brand artificial sweetener. It does have a recognizable wheat finish, but at that point it's more like "who put beer in my nasty fake lemonade?" rather than the other way around. It is just all around watery and artificial. Approaching it as beer, I can't help but feel disappointment. Approaching it as some other form of liquid summer refreshment still leaves me on the fence. Why wouldn't I just drink lemonade...or beer?

This is a light bodied brew for sure. In the mouth it is tingly thanks to the high amount of carbonation and sharp lemon bite. It leaves an unpleasant acidic feeling on my teeth that I could do without. It's actually kind of refreshing, though it only vaguely resembles beer.

Overall, I can't say that I would recommend Summer Shandy to anyone. Aside from being a confusing beverage, it just isn't that good. At roughly a dollar a can it's not that great a value either. The upside is the relatively low 4.2% ABV. If equal parts water and Diet Snapple is your thing then you could drink these all day in the hot summer sun. As for me, I will be sticking with ice cold Arnold Palmers for my non-beer summer refreshment needs.

---

The Two-Schlitz Scale: (see my profile for an explanation)
I do not give a Schlitz for Summer Shandy. I do not give a Snapple for Summer Shandy. And just to be clear; I do not give a lemon scented Pine Sol for Summer Shandy.

04-29-2011 00:13:36 | More by weizenbob
evanlarkin

District of Columbia

3.58/5  rDev +14.4%

Appearance:
Pours a muddy yellow color with a finger of white head, which dissipates into about an 1/8" topping.

Smell:
Lemons and sugar. That pretty much sums this one up. It smells just like lemonade.

Taste:
Lemonade and orange rind flavors with some sweet malt in the background. Lemony bitterness that doesn't really taste like it's coming from hops.

Mouthfeel:
Creamy and lightly carbonated. The taste lingers, but doesn't stick to your mouth the way lemonade would.

Drinkability:
During summer, this would be a drink of choice when I'm looking for something fruity. During the winter, I mostly take it out of my reserves to rebel against winter. As for being a beer, it... doesn't taste like beer. Still, great as it's own drink.

03-03-2011 21:40:44 | More by evanlarkin
BeanBone

3.13/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: A completely cloudy lemon-colored body capped by two fingers of bubbly off-white head that leaves no lacing. This looks like a slice of lemon meringue pie in a glass.

Aroma: The lemon meringue theme continues in the nose. Lots of juicy and sweet lemon over a weak whiff of beer. This is exactly what I remember from my childhood.

Flavor: Lots of crisp and candied lemon over a mild wheat backbone. The lemonade here is more American in style than British, but it still works. It's not very complicated, but it was never really meant to be. Lemon and grain in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with sharpish spritzy carbonation that's reminiscent of soda.

Drinkability: As long as you're not completely turned off by the conceit of a Shandy, this is as drinkable as intended.

Verdict: You have to take Summer Shandy for what it is, an easy drinking beer cocktail designed for people who don't really like beer. Taking that into account, along with my fondness for Shandies as a lad, I have to say I kinda like it.

10-15-2010 16:35:09 | More by BeanBone
AgentZero

1.25/5  rDev -60.1%

A - A hazy yellow color with a big white head, no lacing.

S - Smells like someone pissed in some lemonade. Seriously, that's what it smells like. Truly horrible skunked lemon and malts.

T - This is one of the all-time worst beers I have ever tasted. Disgusting, tastes like fizzy lemonade that has gone bad with a little bit of malt in it. I actually think I'd rather have a wine cooler.

M - A bit watery, and way carbonated. I don't know that it's super bad, but it's sure not adding anything to the experience.

D - It tastes so repulsive I couldn't get more than about a quarter of the way through it, and I really tried.

07-20-2010 21:22:40 | More by AgentZero
daledeee

3.3/5  rDev +5.4%

A can got left in my fridge so I thought I would try it.

This poured a very light and very cloudy yellow. It started with a nice head but that went away quickly.

The nose is strong tart lemonade. I like that when I drink lemonade. We shall see if it is good for beer...

Taste is pretty much lemonade. The finish is too dry for me; rather astringent. Lemon rind becomes apparent in the finish. This does not taste much like beer but more like carbonated lemonade.

07-18-2010 22:56:59 | More by daledeee
WVbeergeek

2.93/5  rDev -6.4%

Hazed lemong glow golden with a bright white creamy head forming thick witha fizzy head, lacing is nice fine and scattered on the sides of my chalice. Aroma heavy with the lemonzest almost like a cleaning supply lemon, it's very zesty. Flavors clear out the nostrils with lemon zest and really hit heavy with the tartness definitely some biscuit/wheat malt characteristics but the lemon zest rolls a bit too hard I couldn't drink many of these even though I really like the can they're packaged in. Very carbonated light bodied mouthfeel that is a bit too much. Drinkability is weak, tasty brew a bit heavy on the lemon zest doesn't work out as a standby regular for me.

05-29-2010 14:26:49 | More by WVbeergeek
Cubsfan1087

Iowa

I recently found the Summer Shandy in a can and had to try it. It smells of lemon, and it definitely tastes like lemon. This beer goes down very smoothly. It would be easy to drink a lot of these. I'm surprised the rating is so low on here. This is a very decent summer beer. I recommend trying this beer if you haven't.

04-18-2010 05:27:21 | More by Cubsfan1087
dewalt

A mix of beer and lemonade, and Leinenkugel gets both parts wrong.

This beer looks nice: hazy and rich, with a big frothy white head. Like a good hefeweizen.

It smells like lemon zest, pale wheat and corn; basically, cheap beer with bottled lemon concentrate.

Tastes like sugar water with a twist. There are hints of pale ale, and a bit of beery aftertaste. But the beer tastes weak and the lemonade tastes powdered.

It's easy drinking, and at only 4.2% ABV, very sessionable. But why bother?

03-23-2010 18:52:07 | More by dewalt
billybeerlvr

4.4/5  rDev +40.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a light head, amber colored - aroma has a definite lemon smell.

Undertones of the wheat base but a crisp lemon after-taste. Not over-powering; doesn't linger long. Not too fruity as some of these beers can be. Leinies got this one right. Best served ice-cold.

02-23-2014 07:16:37 | More by billybeerlvr
Ozzylizard

3.48/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle dated NOV1113 at cellar temp into goblet
Aroma lemony
Head average (3 cm), white, creamy, fully diminishing
Body bright yellow, cloudy
Flavor has lemon overtones, no malt, no diacetyl, ends quickly
Body is light, watery, carbonation lively.

Maybe colder or fresher (gift from someone who doesn't know beer) would have helped, but still not a bad beer. I think I like the orange variety better.

01-08-2014 12:19:57 | More by Ozzylizard
Waddles22

4.4/5  rDev +40.6%

This is a novices beer review: Its currently my perfect summer boat beer. Light and refreshing, and whats better than lemonade on a hot day? How about a lemonade beer?

I am sure as I get more into tasting and knowing the complexities of beer I will look back and laugh.

01-08-2014 01:11:15 | More by Waddles22
Jadjunk

Georgia

3.41/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy is brewed in the style of a Shandy beer, roughly half lemonade, half ale, traditionally a shandy uses mild British ales, whereas the German equivalent is a Radler. While there is no label information, this beer is arguably one of Leinenkugel's biggest recent successes, creating several spin-off shandy flavor options (and likely even more to come). Available as a Summer release seasonal in bottles, cans and on draft.

Poured into a Leinenkugel's Pint glass. Served at 52º Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a crisp frothy clean cream white head over a very hazy and murky pale yellow body. Head retention is slightly above average- a fair bit better than average for Leinenkugel. Lacing is medium-light and patchy. Carbonation is busy and plentiful through the heavy haze. I can see where it comes closest to a Weissbier by appearance but still doesn't quite match the visual grandeur of purely wheat-based ales. 3.75

(Smell) There's no doubting lemonade comes into serious play in this drink, although it's more of a sweeter country-style lemonade, not the tart, sunny and light heavy drinking lemonade you can make from scratch. I did not find the lemon aroma harsh enough to compare to Lysol or Pledge, but I can understand the resemblance. It doesn't balance out fantastically in the aroma, a mild malty base is thoroughly overshadowed, and any hop bitterness or body is tough to find. Very much a hybrid drink of a beer- any subtleties of a weissbier are far overshadowed by the lemonade, and the end result isn't far from smelling of a Mike's Hard Lemonade or your choice lemon-based wine cooler. 3

(Taste) Mild pale wheat malt background with a substantial amount of light, tart lemonade character. Like the aroma suggested, the drink is only half a beer at the very most, and the wheat base is overshadowed, although quite easier to discern than in the aroma. The balance isn't ideal, but the style wouldn't suggest any higher expectations. If you can't decide between a lemonade and a wheat beer, but like lemonade ever-so-slightly more, this may be a fair option. Although this is my only Shandy review to date, I really can't knock it much as it is quite drinkable and enjoyable for what it is. 3.5

(Mouthfeel) Light malt, moderately acidic lemon juice and a slick, soft body. Carbonation does add some zest to the tongue. The body is medium for the style, light/medium overall. Alcohol presence is very low, concealed well by the lemons and the acidity. Overall it's a bit light on the body and texture for the weissbier crowd but lemonade isn't usually carbonated and does quite fine this time around, so I suppose it's a fair balance. 3.5

(Overall) I'd prefer a weiss bier that's wheat-malt forward with lemon subtleties any day over a Lemon Shandy, but I'm not too likely to overly criticize this for what it is. If you've never dabbled in the style before it might be worth seeking out but otherwise know that this is a fairly average choice amongst Shandy beer, and doesn't stand out in the craft beer crowd regardless of the style. 3.5

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company's
Summer Shandy
3.41/5.00

11-23-2013 01:21:42 | More by Jadjunk
alphagnome

2.84/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Appearance:
It appears to be... lemonade! A bright yellow hue is applied to an opaque body with a thin, white head. Retention is horrible. No lacing. Plenty of carbonation.

Aroma:
An almost overwhelming amount of lemon. I get a heaping helping of fresh and artificial lemon... and that's it. Nothing else.

Taste:
Honestly, it's not good... BUT it's refreshing! There is nothing here to tell me "hey, I'm a beer!" It would be better served as a Smirnoff Ice product. Kool-aid comes to mind.

Mouthfeel:
Incredibly light, crisp and refreshing! Lots of carbonation and a nice sweetness that is not overpowering. Easy to drink.

Overall:
I have a hard time calling this a beer as there is nothing here that resembles a beer, or at least what I consider beer. That said, I enjoy it... A bit of a guilty pleasure if you will. Easy to drink and thirst-quenching. Definitely a good beverage for a hot, summer day.

10-03-2013 02:54:01 | More by alphagnome
Brezzy24

3.98/5  rDev +27.2%

This is a great crisp light body summer Ale. Cool refreshing Lemony beer to enjoy at the end of a summer day. This is my go to beer great cook outs and camping. It pours with a nice head and great carbonation. This beer makes it really feel like summer is here.

09-22-2013 21:06:21 | More by Brezzy24
elNopalero

3.24/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a kool-aide yellow color.

This smells like lemonade.

Tastes like… lemonade.

Sharp, crisp and refreshingly so. But the lemonade sweetness dominates whatever beer was in this. Still… Say what you will. Y

es, I know it’s from the majors, and it’s a shandy. But it was tasty and I didn’t feel dirty after drinking it and liking it, the way I thought I would have.

09-12-2013 19:23:30 | More by elNopalero
Tenzin

Nebraska

1.7/5  rDev -45.7%

Although there us a little maltiness detectable in this product, the predominant taste is much like cheap lemonade manufactured with reconstituted lemon juice. The alcohol content is so low, you can get much tastier summer refreshment by drinking good lemonade and adding alcohol of your choice. Dion't waste your money on this product.

08-31-2013 22:34:27 | More by Tenzin