Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007

Reviews: 603 | Hads: 3,303
3.32/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours very hazy golden color with thick foamy head. Head retention and lacing are actually very good with this one. Has basically a zesty, lemon aroma. There is a light malty backbone followed by that lemon zest when drinking. Refreshing on a hot summer day, but there is no complexity. More like hard lemonade if you ask me. (330 characters)

i enjoy most Leinenkugels but Summer Shandy would be my best guess at what Pine Sol tastes like. Most of my friends enjoy it so it must be my messed up taste buds! (164 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +3.8%

A: poured into a mug to a cloudy and hazed yellow with a finger of dense white head that is quick to faid and has minimal retention
S: smells of artificial lemonade
T: taste is tart lemonade with a little bit of maltyness but mostly the lemonade. swallow is more lemonade and just a little bit of malt
M: kind of thick with slightly prickly carbonation and a refreshing finish
O: not a whole lot of beer flavor going on but there's a whole lot of lemonade flavor. a little too one sided for my taste and there are better summer beers out there (552 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +31%

All beer is relative to the day, a hot day in Southern California with limited refreshing options in the store, not a double IPA day based on my weather and yard work, ~90 outside. I prefer lemon beer to lemonade on this frustration day. It agrees with me. Give it a try on a hot day, I don't think you will mind it's company. It's got more than you deserve. (358 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

Exactly what I was expecting. I love lemon in the summertime. This brew is exactly what it should be. Light. Citrus. Delicious. Perfect for drinking by the pool side or in the hot sun. So much better a choice than a BMC IMO. As the sun begins to set, so too, set this aside for something more robust and interesting. But in the heat of the day....very cool. (357 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

I had to try it after seeing commercials on it and people talk about how good it is. So I got a 12 pack at the store for $14 so I thought by that it would be good. Its a Lemonade flavored light beer but very disappointing. I thought it would taste like beer and Lemonade mixed but instead it tastes mainly of Lemonade with a slight hint of beer taste. I have tried other flavored beers such as Samuel Adams Blueberry beer and its right on. Its equal alcohol and blueberry taste. I will stick to plain, non flavored light beer. I recommend this beer to anyone who doesn't like the beer taste yet wants to drink a beer. I would drink this again as long as its free but I won't buy this again. (690 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -1.9%

The appearance is not impressive, but not bad either. The head, never much, dissipates into near nothingness extremely fast, leaving a cloudy dark yellow.

It smells very nice, though not too strong. Unsurprisingly, the citrus scent from the lemon is evident immediately, mixing well with a slight alcohol nose. It actually sort of reminds me of lemon tea. A faint hint of spiciness.

Very tingly beer, reminding me of soda in how initially tingly we're talking. It smells like it tastes. Not strong, but nice. Very, very citrusy, so the six pack box wasn't lying when it told me this stuff was made with lemonade. It never really tastes much "like beer" to me, though, until I hit the aftertaste, which might actually be my favorite part of drinking this beer. It's got a very, very nice aftertaste. The lemon and alcohol tastes finally mix very well at that point. Before that, the lemon is more dominant.

Overall, an okay light beer. Without the lemonade background in its making, this would be very mediocre. As is, it's good enough past mediocre to be okay. I like it. (1,075 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

If you approach this shandy as not a beer but an alchoholic lemonade (a hard lemonade, I guess) it's a wonderful and refreshing beverage on a hot summer day. Honestly, this drink hit the spot perfectly.

However, like I said, you need to approach this beer differently than other beers. Keep an open mind, and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Lemon notes stood out so strongly I could forget I was drinking a beer and imagine I was drinking lemonade. It doesn't go down smooth, but neither does lemonade, I suppose. (515 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -21.7%

This Radler poured with a bright lemon yellow hue that was capped by a fizzy, carbonated foam that collared away to nothing.

The nose is lemony, sort of sugary, with an obvious carbonated soda water.

The flavor is lemony as well but it's a sugary sweet artificial flavor. The finish is harsh and seems loaded with soda water, or Perrier like taste. I hate sparkling water and this reminds me of it.

The feel is so overly carbonated that it's harsh and prickly. It's almost too harsh to drink.

I drained poured this, because I should not undergo torture while drinking beer. (577 characters)

3.17/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 2 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

As new to beer drinking I wanted to try something on the lighter side. I got one in my make your own 6 pack. It came in a bottle so can't really say on appearance. Decent looking label. Smells highly of lemon and citrus tastes the same as it smells. Really easy beer to drink. (277 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Look: Nothing special here. It doesn't even really look like beer, honestly. A light yellow, straw color, hazy, not clear. Fizzy head at first, which fizz's down to nothing, like soda.

Smell: Wheat, and MUCH lemon. Very zesty, and very summer-like.

Taste: Lemon. Surprised? Kinda wheaty. It's very thirst quenching, and seems ideal for a summer day. High in carbonation and lemon flavor makes this perfect for a hot day.

Mouthfeel: Exactly like soda, which in my opinion, for a summer beer i not a bad thing. Light bodied and high in carbonation.

Overall: I'm surprised by the overall rating on this beer. I think this beer is fantastic. It think it's the ideal party beer for both craft beer lovers and "non-craft" beer drinkers. I think this beer can be appreciated by the masses. It's not amazing, but it's LEAPS AND BOUNDS, better than all the lime flavor lagers produced by the big guys. This was one of the beers that made me start to appreciate the finer beers. (974 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz : tulip

Pours an opaque, golden wheat color with a thick, billowy white head with great retention.

Strong citrusy, lightly sweet lemon predominately. Faint grainy, wheat backbone.

More of a balance between the lemon and wheat notes, though the lemon still finishes a bit ahead.

Medium+ body, foamy carbonation.

Not an everyday beer for me personally, but it certainly has it's time and place and is well done for what it is. (434 characters)

3.49/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Probably my favorite shandy out there right now. Decent appearance with a hazy yellow and a very thin fizzy head. The smell was mostly lemons but with a little bit of malt. The taste was similar with a lot of lemonade but a subtle finish where you get a little bit of hop and malt to make the end of the beer not so sweet. A fine shandy to drink on a hot day. (359 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +3.2%

Serving: Bottle, from the bottle
Served: 20 June 2014

Appearance: Had this one from the bottle so can't comment much about it. Bottle art is okay, unique bottle cap with big lemons on it.

Smell: Sweet, ripe lemons and a hint of yeasty beerness.

Taste: Not half bad for a Radler, but I'm more accustomed to the German versions of this style. I'm curious what the base beer is, because it lacked some of the crisp bitterness common to the German versions of this mixed beer. Overall, it tasted halfway decent for what it is.

Mouthfeel: Felt too thick on the tongue, almost like an unfiltered beer. I would have liked to see a cleaner, crisper beer. Great carbonation.

Overall: For a Radler, this isn't half bad, but it is nowhere near the German/Austrian versions of the style. (783 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Well it's better than those stupid lemon-flavored bud lights but you'll look just as gay drinking it. It tastes like beer mixed with cheap fake lemonade. I swear, you could sell this stuff at a lemonade stand and kids wouldn't know the difference. It tastes like lemonade -which is fine if you like your beers sweet and artificially flavored- but I don't. I bought a 12 pack of these and now I feel obligated to drink them. Maybe I'm being too harsh, the beer is great for being lemonade flavored, but why did I just buy lemonade-flavored beer? (544 characters)

1.9/5  rDev -39.3%

To tell you the truth, I was looking for Blue Moon and they didn't have it (general gas station) so I saw this (liked the label), read that it was light, ok.
OMG, This is my impression right after a sip:
>> What the hell is that after-taste (kinda perfumy)... UGG

Sorry, every sip I take gives me that impression and it wasn't a good one.

I will not buy this beer again.

/me (386 characters)

3.61/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

It is a cloudy sandy yellow color with a inch head that disappears very quickly.

It has a very lemony smell to it that is not overwhelming

It has a decent amount of lemon taste that is not overly powerful

Mouthfeel was little carbonated that didn't leave any bubbles remain on the tongue

Overall its a decent shandy if you are looking for a decent cheap one, there however better lemon shadys out there. #T6PP (413 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +38.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I bought this on draft at local club on a whim, and the fact that it was $3 for a pint.

I was surprised at how perfect this beer was.

It tasted amazing and had the nicest cloudy unfiltered wheat beer coloring.

Just the perfect consistency all around.

And the sugar content wasn't too heavy either. I know a lot of summer beers like to load up on the sugars and fruit additives, but this one is just perfect from the keg.

Had it from a bottle later on in the night and it just didn't taste the same.

If you can find this on draft, go for it. You won't be disappointed.

It's just a very smooth drinkable beer and it really packs a punch in the flavor department. I tasted cardamom, orange peel and some other unique spices.

If I see this draft again it is my go to. (776 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

A- Poured a cloudy golden yellow. 2 finger head that dissipated rather quickly. Very little lacing left behind.

S- Smelled of lemonade. Not too artificial(a plus for me).

T- A nice refreshing lemonade type beer. Very crisp and clean. Not bitter or overpowering.

M- Not overly carbonated. Nice and smooth

O- So far the best "summer shandy" type that I've tried. Definitely sessionable. Will be going to pick up some more once summer rolls around. (449 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -8%

my cousin wanted something new, so we got a 12 pack of this. it's alright. when i first tried it, it didn't do well for me and i ended up not drinking it. but the next day i wanted a buzz so i drank a few of these. it takes a while to get used to it.
the moment it hits your mouth it's like you're drinking water but it is quickly followed by a strange zap of lemon. it might be a bit too much lemon, in my opinion. after a while, though, like i said, it grows on you, but perhaps that is due to you drinking 4 of them and you think everything is great. i tried to find out the AC for it i believe it is around 4.5%.
if you don't want a strong beer but rather a crisp lemon taste with a little beer taste, get this. if not, i don't know. (738 characters)

3.37/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Being a huge fan of wheat beers and my German mother telling me stories of her mixing weisbier with lemon or sprite as a teen, I was excited to try this brew.

Appearance - Surprising head: bout two fingers, but slightly fizzy. Understandable considering the lemonade aspect. Very white. Lacing slight and spotty. A hazy acidic yellow in color.

Smell - Lemons and lemon peel, slight yeast and maybe the tiniest hint of acetone?? Lol. Overall the lemon shines through

Taste - Bam, lemons. Was waiting for the beer taste to come, but it never did. Very light tasting. Perfect for someone who likes to get drunk, but doesn't like beer. Tasted like creamy lemonade. It was very refreshing, though. Wouldn't be bad to add a sixer to a cooler of beer for variety. Nice for the eve of a hard days work. Or maybe while mowing the lawn. Definitely a summer choice.

Mouthfeel - Light, fizzy and slightly lingering creamy.

Overall - was kind of let down. Should focus more on the BEER aspect. (986 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 oz can poured into pint glass

A- off cloudy light yellow, gigantic head, minimal lacing

S- nothing but lemons

T- slight sweetness,doughy, and very lemony

M- light crust with medium carbonation

O- okay feels like I'm drinking beer mixed with lemonade but definitely refreshing on a hot day (299 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle best before June 30, 2014. Served in a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a pale yellow color with 2 fingers of a white head with decent retention and some very light spotty lacing. Body is very hazy.

Smell: Artificial lemonade, slight wheat/malt character as well

Taste: Artificial lemonade, though not overpoweringly sweet. Beyond that is grain with a very slight spiciness. Somewhat off putting grain aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, but somewhat thin. Medium carbonation.

Overall: Not awful, but it's nowhere near good either. Even among other shandies/beer cocktails, there are better options (614 characters)

3.33/5  rDev +6.4%

It was a hot summer night... Meatloaf is ringing in my ears. Actually, it's a hot spring night, but the perfect time for something refreshing like a shandy. Tasted 28 May 2014.

Pours cloudy pale lemon-straw yellow. One finger of white head, fizzy. Okay retention, not much lacing. Looks like carbonated lemonade.

Smells like carbonated lemonade. Mostly I get lemons, with a bit of sugar to complement them. Not much of the beer in there, but I'm okay with that.

Taste starts well, when it's just the lemon, but then the beer shows up, and I'm disappointed. It just sort of falls flat, with emptiness where there should be flavor, and only a faint bitter twinge to even let me know it's there. I want it to either support or contrast with the citrus acidity more than it does.

Feel is good. Light, fizzy, lasting just long enough before it dries up thoroughly.

This is my first shandy, and I'm let down. Lemonade plus good beer sounds delicious. This is lemonade plus mediocre beer. (986 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -2.6%

12 oz bottle Yellow-gold color: the look of filtered lemonade in lager beer.
Decent head for style.

An obvious lemon aroma and flavor. Better balance in the taste where the malt is also evident. Good sour/sweet balance.

O: a good version of the style. Fuller body and a touch more flavorful than most other radlers I've had. (327 characters)

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company