Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007

3.55/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a frosty mug.

The color of this beer is a foggy yellow that does not allow you to see to the other side. Some foamy white head on top and some little lacing left on the glass.

The smell is really strong with a citrus flavor. Lemon comes right out and announces itself with a nice bit of wheat flavor. Nice and crisp from the nose.

The taste is really lemon flavored at first and really seem to hold back anything else from being noticed. Just as you think it will be all lemon, some bitter hop comes in ever so slightly so as not to go by without a hint. From there it's a slight wheat feel and then the lemon kisses the end of the beer as it goes down.

The feel of this beer is light and goes down really well so long as the strong lemon flavor does not overpower you and turn you off. I liked this beer a bit but I realize that it was helped a bit from the beach being only feet away as I review this. That being said, a really good summer beer but really only a summer beer.

3.75/5  rDev +19%

2.5/5  rDev -20.6%

2.45/5  rDev -22.2%

Pours a cloudy piss yellow colour that essentially looks like, well, a bit darker version of your typical lemonade. Eh.

The aroma is overpowered by an abundance of lemon. It's all lemon all the time. I got nothing else.

The flavour is more of the same: it's basically like drinking a glass of lemonade. I don't detect any hops, malt, wheat, etc. Just a lot of lemonade. This is a beer, isn't it? Mouthfeel is light, crisp and refreshing, but not very beer-like.

If I wanted a damn lemonade I'd drink one. I wanted and was expecting a beer, and that's not what I got. I assume this is what those Hard Lemonade things taste like, and if so I don't know how people can consistently drink them. I enjoy the Leine Sunset Wheat. I was not at all happy with this one. Don't bother.

3.5/5  rDev +11.1%

4.25/5  rDev +34.9%

2.94/5  rDev -6.7%

This is difficult to rate as a beer, since it much more resembled a non-alcoholic mixture of Ginger-Ale and lemonade. Very pale in color, with little lacing or head and a hint of lemon in the nose. Taste was lemony soda pop.

Not sure who this beer would appeal to, as even the women at our table thought it tasted too cheesy. Before I drink this again, I'll have a straight lemonade or real beer, not this 'tweener.

2.99/5  rDev -5.1%

Leinenkugel is a brand I’ve never tried…except for their Fruity Pebbles – I mean Sunset Wheat offering. This one was a gift, and I’m happy to have it (no matter the end result in flavor).

A: Lemonade, what do you know. Dirty lemonade, almost: there’s a little brown in the hazy yellowish pour, with a fluffy white head. A fizz eventually sits over the body at a little more than paper-thin, with some light bubbles flowing through the body, though no lacing.

S: A very light fruity scent: lime, berry lemonade, and a familiar aroma of dish soap. It’s a pretty pleasant wheaty fruitiness – mostly lime – with just a bit of grains roaming around beneath. Clove, pepper, and grains of paradise give it a little kick, too. Smells like summer.

T: Lime sherbet, with just a bite of lemon pulp and peach, come first – pretty fruity for a light macro. A little bitter astringency takes the form of lemon rind and light straw, followed closely by some good wheat flavors. Some pepper and herb tastes pop up, like in the nose, but not for long; aftertaste is oily lemon syrup and grain husk. It tastes like lemonade, but not the strongly tart stuff I prefer.

M: Macro fizz, but with a little more thickness. Satisfying, with a good amount of frothy lightness.

O: Better than I was expecting; I could knock out a few of these on a summer day, especially a hot one. Not more than a few, though, since this one has a bit of an odd aftertaste.

3.87/5  rDev +22.9%

GLASS: Saint Arnold Brewery Tasting Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees
(SUMMER BEER TASTING w/ a few friends)

It's a beautiful hazy golden yellow in the glass. Reminds me of a hot summer day, visually. Not 100+ degree 'heatstroke' kind of hot, but upper-80's to mid-90's. Where you're just starting to see 'heat-lines' in the air, if you look down the street.
Creamy one-finger head dissipates fairly quickly. Decent lacing. Minimal retention.

The smell is like effervescing lemons. If you had a pool filled with fresh lemons and they began giving off a wonderful bubbly gaseous mist, I think it would smell like this.
For all intents and purposes this looks and smells like a glass of strong homemade lemonade.

Taste is where it drops a little bit, for me. Granted, it is pretty much exactly what it claims to be. A well-done (American) Pale Wheat with lemonade blended in. The lemon seems to be a bit too dominant, though. While I do detect a tiny hint of yeastiness in there, the beer flavor is all but buried.

It feels a bit wrong to me, also. It's thin, which I would normally like, in this style. The problem is that there seems to be to many bubbles (overcarbonation). Makes for an odd mouthfeel.

After what I've just said about it, I'm surprised to say that I still find this to be a good, easy-drinking, refreshing summer brew. On a nice hot day, this would definitely do the trick.

4.5/5  rDev +42.9%

3.48/5  rDev +10.5%

12oz brown bottle. Pours a murky light yellow with a quarter inch of off-white head. Smells intensely sweet and lemony - almost like fake lemonade. Tastes very citrusy and somewhat pithy, though the flavor isn't as intense as the aroma is. On the lighter side of medium-bodied with a small amount of carbonation. Not bad, very easy-drinking and refreshing, and i can definitely see putting back a couple of these after a long hot day. That said, it seems less beery and more like an alco-pop, though it beats the heck out of Mike's or the like.

3.5/5  rDev +11.1%