Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007

Reviews: 604 | Hads: 3,305
3.06/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance is really interesting - a bright, opaque yellow. There is about a finger-width of foamy head, but it disappears fairly quickly - typical for a citrus beer.

Smell is dominated by lemon, not much else going on there.

Taste is very tart and lemon. It is pretty pleasant for a warm day, but not much "beer" flavor.

Mouthfeel is nice, great amount of carbonation and a very dry finish. Very easy to drink.

Overall, this is my wife's favorite beer and I can see why - it is easy to drink and extremely refreshing. I also like that it isn't overly sweet. I'm more of a fan of subtle fruit beers, however, and the lemon is a bit overpowering for me. (702 characters)

3.46/5  rDev +10.5%

A: Has a hazey yellow straw like color nice white foamy head with good retention.
S: There is a strong lemony smell for sure mixed with a wheatlike corn smell nothing great.
T: Not as bad a i thought it would be accually not bad at all wwheat up front followed buy a strong lemonade flovor.
M:Smooth with a little tingle at the end.
Overall its a very drinkable beer would be good on a hot day but other than that not really my cup of tea. (439 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -19.2%

The appearance is a bright yellow. Kind of a fun color.
In the aroma I get some of the pilsner malts and a good chunk of sugary citrus.
Taste is very sweet with little to no beer flavor. Carbonation is prickly.
If you like lemonade, go for it. If I am in the mood for a radler/shandy I would rather mix lemonade with a lager of my choosing. (340 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +4.8%

I've heard a lot of take about this but everyone has a different taste. This taste like lemonade and if you're a fan of Smirnoff you would probably prefer this because it is manageable taste wise if you're not a big fan of the sweetness in the Smirnoff. I could probably drink more than a few, i.e. manage a six pack, without feeling sick. I would accept this drink but probably not buy it personally just because it's not my "cup of tea." (439 characters)

This beer is all about recovering from a hot long day of work or play. Don't expect malt or hop goodness. Expect a refreshing drink.

A: Cloudy yellow in appearance with a thin head that will lace down the glass if poured.
S: Smells of lemons on lemons with no hint of malt or hops; not a bad thing for this style in my opinion.
T: I liked this beer mainly because it was associated with good memories of when I lived in Bavaria where they would frequently mix a hefeweizen with lemonade making a "Radler." It is perfect for a hot summer day at the pool or just after coming inside.
M: Tiny bubbles, smooth.
D: Very similar to drinking lemonade... you can go until the citrus flavor as coated your tongue beyond comfort. (720 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -16.9%

Tried this at a baseball game last night. I often will at least try seasonal offerings because well...they aren't always available. I had reasonably high hopes because I like regular Linenkugel. I was very disappointed. Way too much lemon flavor. Tastes more like lemonade than beer. Would not order again. (306 characters)

This a great drank ! An A rating for sure, this not a beer but this type of beer usually has mixed with citrus-flavor, lemonade, cider . It is great on hot summer days, Laying on the beach, boating if you are not driving.If you are looking for IPA, pilsner, or sout this beer is not for you.

Appearance is a yellow, orange . The head is retains well.

Smells : lemons, and a some bit of malt and hops

TAste: It taste like lmeons malts and hops. It is very nice balce to it.

Mouthfeel: Is has a great mouthfeel . It is on the light side of medium.

Overall: A great beer to refresh your mouth on a summer day . I am glad six pack of this last night. I will be buying more of this beer in future. Ths is a grea beer! (720 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -18.2%

Pours a clowdy pale straw, much like an american wheat. Big white head persists. Initial aroma is lemon, but some malt comes through as this beer warms up. First impression is lemonade with beer poured in it (given the bottle says "weiss beer with lemonade" I would say they hit this one almost right on the mark (I would say they need to reverse the order and call it lemonade with weiss beer). I wouldn't buy this stuff, but on a hot day it isn't bad, it goes down easy, but I keep burping up lemon! (501 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -10.2%

App- is light gold murky in the middle

Smells like lemon and a lot of it at that

Taste is a strong lemon bite with a bit of a crisp dry finish at the end, personally I don't care for the taste the lemon is just too obnoxious to me.

MF- nice and smooth, good for summer time relaxation slight carbonation and citrus invades the toungue.

Drinkability- It's ok not that drinkable because I don't care for the taste, give me gumballhead anyday over this. (454 characters)

3.16/5  rDev +1%

APPEARANCE: This beer, poured from a bottle into a pint glass, produced a white foamy, rocky 3.4" head that dissipated somewhat slowly leaving thin head lacing. Carbonation was soft in a slightly cloudy yellow body.

AROMA: There is a light aroma of baked bread together with light notes of orange, lime and lemon (sort of a Lemon Pledge lemon aroma).

TASTE: Taste is much the same, though the baked bread and lemon tastes are a bit stronger than the scent prepared me for.

MOUTHFEEL: This beer has a medium body with a smooth texture, soft carbonation and thin body lacing that dissipates pretty slowly. The initial flavor is lightly sour with a lightly acidic tart finish that lasted for a medium length of time.

DRINKABILITY: Repeatable, easy to drink and a good price point make this an attractive beer for the summer months. The tartness is quite refreshing. The lemony smell surprised at first but it turned out okay. I like the way the flavor keeps shifting from sour (lemon and lime) to malty-sweet to acidic (orange). It's a bit unexpected and definitely adds to the beer's appeal. It would be great for a hot day. (1,126 characters)

3.44/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The more I drink it, the more I like it. The sweet lemon is refreshing but doesn't put me in the mind of toilet bowl cleaners. A good mix of lemonade and wheat beer. (171 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -44.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Where to start. Pours VERY unnatural cloudy yellow with a decent, fluffy white head.

You can smell this beer from across the room- and not in a good way. The artificial aroma of "Mr.Clean-Lemon" smacks your nose- again, not in a good way. Taste- Oh boy. Astringent Lemon flavors with some wheat. It may not drink well, but I'll bet it shines your floors real nice! I can't detect any hops in this beer. Flavor is very artificial.

How about some good things!
Drink VERY cold. I could see how this could be refreshing in hot weather. I was anxious to try this and unfortunately, I was let down. I wish they had actually used lemons and not "Lemonade Flavor" for this. I think it could have been decent. However...

Swing and a miss.

4/11/08
Just revisited this again to give it another chance. Why do I do stuff like this to myself. I think it's actually worse. (863 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -44.7%

On draft at a ball game. Cloudy light yellow with little head. Aroma is lemonade, sugar, light bread, and very mild hops. Taste is lemon, sugar, and mild beer flavors. It’s like 4.2% abv kool aid. Thin mouthfeel. Meh. Way more of a lemonade than a beer for sure. (264 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +12.8%

Looks, smells and tastes like some strange beer/lemonade hybrid.

Has a cloudy, almost milky appearance. Nice white head with good retention.

I didn't think I would like this one, I haven't had good experiences in the past with fruit "enhanced" beers--see Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic. But I really enjoyed the bottle I had. Maybe it had something to do with the weather; I drank it on a 94-degree day with typical Midwest humidity. Not sure if it's more like lemonade-flavored beer or beer-flavored lemonade, but it is seriously refreshing after mowing the lawn. (563 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I have drank this from a can and bottle both. The bottle is a little better in my opinion. This is one of my favorite summer beers. Very refreshing on a hot day outside. Good lemonade flavoring that is consistent throughout the entire beer (even as it begins to warm). Drinkability is very good in that the flavor doesn't wear on you and there is no lingering aftertaste. Slight notes of lemonade in the smell. Appears very cloudy as it is an unfiltered wheat (I believe).

Outstanding hot weather beer! (503 characters)

3.33/5  rDev +6.4%

A- One thing i kinda get giddy for is cool caps. This one Is actually very fitting and is def a good one to add to the collection. Pours a off yellow, that ias very cloudy in appearance. Def has that weissen look going for it. poured very aggressively and got a nice two finger head that dissapeared almost as fast as i poured it. moderate to no retention in this one.

S- lemons, lemons and more lemons. slight yeastyness. slightly wheat like.

T- bready and tart. lemons only hit for a second before the beer turns toasty. lingering sweetness is kinda funky. the lemonade in this one is really not overpowering, it just makes its presence known and then hides away.

M/O- this is a medium bodied brew, that is overall sweet. Has wonderful carbonation that cleans everything away. Highly drinkable. This is a tasty and enjoyable summer drinker. (847 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +41.2%

I loved this beer! As soon as I opened the bottle I could smell the strong aroma of lemon. Poured a hazy yellow with a thick creamy white head. The taste was definately lemonade with wheat flavor abounding. I found this to be quite refreshing while sitting by the pool on a hot day, grilling, or just enjoying the warm summer nights. This beer goes down very easy and compliments the season well. This is my second review of this beer... Now that the dog days of summer are in full swing I felt like this one needed a second look since for me the hot weather makes it even better! (580 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +33.9%

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass.

A--Cloudy, straw pour with moderate, creamy head. Most of head doesn't stick around too long.

S--Smells a lot like lemonade...maybe even an Arnold Palmer. Not artificial nor overwhelming. Some malty dryness to balance. Very nice.

T--How do I put this? It tastes like beer and lemonade. I've never bothered with anything like this, but the Leinie Boys do a nice job here. Not sweet, not overly lemony nor artificial. Malty, dry character to the "beer" part of the taste, with a slight bittering balance at the finish. Quite good. Doesn't taste like it has much alcohol, and at 4.2 ABV, it doesn't. Nothing to get really excited about, but aren't you just chilling out on a hot day with this one?

M--Not syrupy nor acidic, which was a prejudicial concern. Balanced body and feel. Not overly crisp nor dry either. A lot of things could have gone wrong in making this beer, but it hasn't.

D--Certainly drinkable and sessionable. Refreshing. Bring a twacker in the rowboat as you jig for crappie! (1,038 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -9.6%

A buddy of mine drink this stuff nearly exclusively during the months it's available. He left the remnants of a 6-pack at my house, so I figured why not give it a review.

Appearance: Poured out a hazy, extremely pale yellow. Not unlike the color you'd find in homemade lemonade. The head was minimal at best, not even worth attempting a finger count. Obviously considering the previous statement lacing was non-existent as well.

Smell: Lemonade. It does actually smell somewhat like natural lemonade, which I suppose is a plus. On the flip side it doesn't give any hints or suggestions that I'm about to partake in something that could be considered beer.

Taste: Again it's a lemonade affair. I will say they've done a better job at flavoring this than some similar fruit beers, Cranberry Lambic comes to mind. It's a fairly pleasant, tart flavor. Behind the lemonade there is a bit of nondescript, bland wheat malt. There's also a smidgen of graininess.

Mouthfeel: The body is fairly thin, perhaps setting a foot into the field of medium bodied. The carbonation is surprisingly good. It's not the usual tongue prickling affair that I usual expect from beers such as this.

Drinkability: It's best to think of this beer as a nice, tall glass of ice cold lemonade. It works as a cheap lawnmower beer I suppose. On this hot spring night in Michigan it was certainly refreshing.

Overall, and I'm beating a dead horse at this point, this stuff is more like lemonade with a splash of beer than the other way around. If you keep that in mind it you may have a decent experience. If you are in the mood for something refreshing (outside the realm of beer) you may have a decent experience. (1,687 characters)

1.61/5  rDev -48.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance. Cloudy lemonade like appearance in the glass. Some head in the glass, about one finger.

Smell. Smells like lemon, not lemonade, more like Real Lemon lemon juice concentrate.

Taste. Dry taste. Obviously lots of lemons.

Mouthfeel. Carbonated. Reminds me of a wine cooler or sparkling wine. This reminds of the a malt based wine cooler rather than a beer. In PA malt coolers are solid at beer distributors while wine based coolers are sold at the state stores. At least that was the case back in the mid 80s when these types of drinsks were popular. I try never to refuse a beer, but i dont think this was a beer. I gave it to my wife and she enjoyed it. (708 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -2.2%

Tried this at Lamp Lighters in Palatine. Beer of the month apparently at this place. The color is a straw very light color. Smells of lemon and wheat. This tasted like lemonade on crack. Could only handle two before I switched back to some better beers. It would be good on a nice summer day when you want something light and refreshing. (337 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -11.5%

Got this beer in the Leinenkugel's variety pack. I had been looking forward to trying this one but was let down. The taste was like someone had taken their Sunset Wheat beer, but instead of the blueberry notes, they accidentally added some powdered lemonade. Much too sweet for my liking (and I though t the Sunset Wheat was very good, despite its sweetness). This tasted too little like beer and too much like lemonade.

It should be added that after my first one, I decided to mix this with the Berry Weiss (50/50) for something a little more tolerable. (556 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +14.1%

Appearance:
Pours a muddy yellow color with a finger of white head, which dissipates into about an 1/8" topping.

Smell:
Lemons and sugar. That pretty much sums this one up. It smells just like lemonade.

Taste:
Lemonade and orange rind flavors with some sweet malt in the background. Lemony bitterness that doesn't really taste like it's coming from hops.

Mouthfeel:
Creamy and lightly carbonated. The taste lingers, but doesn't stick to your mouth the way lemonade would.

Drinkability:
During summer, this would be a drink of choice when I'm looking for something fruity. During the winter, I mostly take it out of my reserves to rebel against winter. As for being a beer, it... doesn't taste like beer. Still, great as it's own drink. (739 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +12.5%

Cloudy yellow with small head.

Smells of lemon.

If you like Corona with lemon or lime you'll like this. It's refreshing and well balanced, tastes better than it smells.

My wife liked it a lot and it was on tap so I had some and it wasn't bad. Next time I'm laying on the beach, this might hit the spot. (305 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -5.1%

After a hard day of work I decided to raid the my dads cooler in his boat for an Icy cold one. I was expecting busch or miller lite or high life but to my surprise I found glass longnecks. I was puzzled but I grabbed one and my favorite beer glass to give this a try. This is my first Leinenkugel Product to try

Appearance: Lemony yellow (duh) I poured vigorously and got a decent head but it quickly faded into a slick on the top. Not much lacing but I wasn't expecting it to have much.

Smell: Lemon and more lemon. I got a slight smell of some thing wheaty but not much

Taste: Tastes like beer flavored lemonade. Not much of a beer taste in there. It is refreshing though so it has that in its favor.

Mouthfeel: Not much there, it is kind of foamy but doesn't feel like I am drinking a beer. It isn't an offensive feel but it is not on par with what I call beer.

Drinkability: It is smooth for sure. I am sure on a hot day when I don't want to drink one of my heavy imports I might reach for one of these, unless I am craving a BEER then I will grab a BEER. Just kidding it is ok but I wouldn't drink it around my buddies. My GF might like it though.

Overall it is not an offensive drink. It is still refreshing and tasty but it doesn't give me the feeling of beer. I am pretty impressed with this company for doing something a little differerent. I am never a fan of flavored beer myself but out of all the ones I have tried this is probably the best one. (1,465 characters)

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company