1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Leinenkugel's Summer ShandyLeinenkugel's Summer Shandy

Ratings: 2057

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)
View: Beers (34) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,057 | Reviews: 519 | Show All Ratings:
Walsar

3.55/5  rDev +13.4%

Overall a nice summer thirst quencher

Beery lemonade -- if you like the other offerings from Leinenkugels this will be up your alley

Tart slightly artificial lemonade flavor

One is enough in a sitting - although I look forward to one on a 90 degree August afternoon

04-09-2008 00:16:42 | More by Walsar
JonB1958

3.4/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer is strangely a little better than the sum of its parts.

Poured into a wet pilsner glass using the "Hacker Pschorr" pour video from that website. A cloudy, pale straw color with a nice thick head that stuck around much longer than I expected.

The aroma is a little overpowering; sort of like a lemon-scented cleaner mixed with beer.

The taste is thin for a wheat, and a little overpowered by the lemon.

But surprisingly, both my neighbors and I agreed it was very drinkable, in the end. Suffice it to say that this is not the highest testament to the art of brewing one will find in stores this summer. But it's an interesting attempt, and a quite acceptable offering for a hot night out on the dec.

08-02-2008 02:28:26 | More by JonB1958
KingEdward

4.03/5  rDev +28.8%

This is a very simple wheat beer brewed with lemon. Its a very refreshing summer beer. Had many beers like this in Germany. The main reason i am reviewing this beer is cause i feel its overall score is low do to people reviewing it and say "it taste like lemon... why would someone brew this"... First of all it says brewed with lemon so the lemon stands out! Why would you try this beer if you have a problem with the lemon taste? I like it a lot... reminds me of Germany...

04-10-2012 22:45:59 | More by KingEdward
Dunkle

2.58/5  rDev -17.6%

This pours yellow with little head. Smells like lemon and tastes like lemonade mixed with a light lager. Light-bodied, but decently carbonated. This may be a session beer for some, but I could not drink more than two because it's too sweet and the taste just isn't for me.

09-15-2010 04:49:19 | More by Dunkle
Groucho75

2.45/5  rDev -21.7%

Since the beer selection at the renaissance festival was limited to Coors products, and I was not in the mood for mead, I pretty much stuck with this for an afternoon.

Poured a murky brown-ish gold with some carbonation. What little head was there evaporated within a few minutes.

Aroma was slightly spicy with some citrus hints, but I"m also giving that edge to the lime wedge they gave me. Guess they were short of lemons that day...

As far as taste goes, a crisp start gives was to some malt flavor. Sugar (honey) was abundant throughout.

Mouthfeel was fine as this was the paramount reason to have a beer in the hot sun at a festival. Since the ABV was relatively mild, you could knock this back most of an afternoon and be fine.

For what it's worth, this isn't the worst beer in the world. Is it great? Heavens no. But if it's sunny, you're outside for a couple of hours and have to quench that thirst, you could do a lot worse.

05-01-2011 14:58:00 | More by Groucho75
mattfungus

Wisconsin

This is like a more lemony version of the sunset wheat and little more watery and a little more perfumey. At times I can't tell this and the sunset wheat apart, thought that hint of perfume in this one is the field mark I look for.

If I am going to mix lemonade and beer I will stick with sol or corona,

02-11-2012 04:50:44 | More by mattfungus
Plokhooy

2.93/5  rDev -6.4%

I'll be the first to admit that I think that Leinenkugel's is a very overrated brewer. This beer won't change my mind. Very "lemon-y" and sweet which I personally don't care for in a beer. I expected a much more tart flavor but it is rather sweet which keeps one from being able to drink to many at a time.

09-25-2010 02:28:18 | More by Plokhooy
aletales

Oklahoma

3.88/5  rDev +24%

The smell of lemon does not overwhelm the maltiness of the beer. It pours a bright sunshine yellow which foreshadows the presence of lemon. The tase is a pleasant balance of lemon and malt that surprised me. I was sure this would be some cheap "hard lemonade" concoction, but it wasn't. It was balanced and fun to drink.

01-24-2009 14:27:50 | More by aletales
redzone3120

Delaware

3.43/5  rDev +9.6%

A - Pours a very cloudy golden yellow color with moderate carbonation. Minimal head is white in color and thin, dissipates quickly with little lacing.

S - Interesting smell for a beer, very lemony and sweet. Strangely, there is very little hint of standard beer scents like malts or hops. Though not like a standard beer, there is certainly something there to set it apart from a lemonade.

T - Very refreshing taste with an immediate lemon flavor. The lemon is a little sour and masks some of the wheat in the background. It finishes with some sour notes and a little aftertaste.

M - Very carbonated feel, almost a little harsh when you first take a sip. After the initial feel, the bubbles thin out quickly to reveal a moderate body.

D - Moderately drinkable, especially in the summer. The lemony flavor is very nice but gets a little sour after awhile. Good for a summer seasonal beer.

09-03-2009 01:54:10 | More by redzone3120
StoutishDan

3.65/5  rDev +16.6%

A - Pours a hazy yellow color with a finger thick head that fades relatively quickly.

S - Lemon note is strong. But there are other citrus notes such as orange and even cloves.

T - Lemon peel is strong upfront, and follows you all the way until you swallow. Yeasty finish that would come close to making up for a person's dislike for the lemonness.

O - I can imagine after mowing the lawn or running pouring one of these and enjoying it greatly. Lemons are a little too strong for my liking. It's close to leaving the beer category and entering the fruity fun drink category, which is fine, but this is a BEER.

Depite this I cannot deny that it is a good tasting beer. I liked it and I will no doubt be drinking this again.

08-02-2011 18:22:56 | More by StoutishDan
Ahoyhoyindeed

3.98/5  rDev +27.2%

Admittedly I'm a sucker for sweeter beers, but even I was skeptical at a lemonade/beer combo. However girly it may be, it is a delicious and refreshing beer that manages to eliminate all of the negatives of a malt beverage like Mike's Hard or a flavored beer like Bud Light Lime. There's no lingering sweetness, and isn't harsh on the stomach acid wise. You can taste the beer and the lemonade, but neither are bad. The flavors don't taste fake or forced. Great refreshing beer for a summer barbeque.

Serving type: can

07-14-2011 16:35:11 | More by Ahoyhoyindeed
UpNorthLager

3.3/5  rDev +5.4%

Usually I've had this in a bottle, but the tavern my friends play volleyball for had it on tap. I was surprised to see a nice full head on the goblet. The lemon zestiness of this beer certainly makes this a mood beer for me. But the refreshing taste makes it very drinkable. It had a slight tan tint to the golden hue. Nothing too complex, a lighter flavored beer with a thorough lemon infusion.

07-31-2010 15:40:42 | More by UpNorthLager
Enish266

2.73/5  rDev -12.8%

Purchased for $1.49 from BevMo. Poured aggressively into a shaker pint.

A - light yellow golden with some cloudiness. Head disappears after a few minutes leaving zero lacing.

S - lemon cough drops with a touch of menthol.

T - very similar to the nose. Tastes of days old lemon juice with a light tartness and minty herbs. Has some potential as an easy summer drinker but flavor is not as natural as advertised.

M - bubbly and effervescent. Thin and has a watery finish that disappears immediately from the palate.

O - I enjoy lemonade but the flavor of this beer does not agree with me. Buy this beer if you like watery lemon cough drops.

07-17-2012 07:14:54 | More by Enish266
JWearda

Iowa

3.26/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

S - Poured into a pint glass from the bottle.

A - Slightly cloudy, dark lemonade or golden color. One finger creamy, white head. Head disappeared pretty fast.

S - Lemon dominates the scent to a point where it really just smells like lemonade.

T - The general flavor is dominated by lemon but there is suggestions of malt. As the brew lingers on the taste buds, it finishes with a malted wheat flavor and the lemon fades away at the end. The malt reveals itself as I drink more but it isn't really exciting; I have to search for it.

M - Light body with slightly above average carbonation. Slight spritzy feel. Very refreshing and crisp finish.

O - Easy to drink on a warm summer day. Refreshing and a nice way to beat the heat, but it isn't enticing enough for me to want it more than the fact that it is a cool beverage. Perfect for when you finish mowing the lawn!

07-30-2013 14:27:18 | More by JWearda
TerjUGA

2.93/5  rDev -6.4%

pours a yellowish copper color with little head.

smells of very strong lemon scents, almost to much.

taste is way more lemon than i expected but as i drank it i got more used to it, it does have a bite to it but thats from all the lemon flavoring.

heavily carbonated, lemon flavor covers the beer and you can really almost taste nothing but lemon, its a bit overwhelming.

easy to drink, decent beer for after a hard day of work or maybe out at the pool, it seems to be more of a refreshment than a beer, somewhat like lemonade. not bad though.

09-17-2008 05:10:55 | More by TerjUGA
krukster

2.65/5  rDev -15.3%

A - Small amount of lacing and somewhat cloudy appearance

S - Overpowering lemon smell. Sorta smells like lemon flavored dish detergent. Not the worst smell in the world, but not great.

T - Very light tasting

M - Light to medium light body. Crisp mountfeel and minimal after taste.

D - Somewhat drinkable. I am thinking the heavy lemon flavor would get to me by the third beer.

Overal: Blah

04-15-2010 00:41:00 | More by krukster
MayorAdamWest

3.08/5  rDev -1.6%

A - Straw yellow with a three finger head even with a gentle pour. The head quickly dissipates to lacing around just around the rim of the glass.

S - Strong lemon with a nice soft wheat backing. A small amount of breadiness.

T - Strong lemon... Citrus... Slight coriander. A lot like the aroma. Dry sour dough bread finish.

M - Moderately high carbonation. Nice thick wheat coating.

D - For only having average taste and mouthfeel... I find myself picking this up regularly. It is really nice on a warm summer day with while burgers are on the grill or while sitting out on the porch watching the wind blow the leaves in the trees.

04-23-2008 23:05:08 | More by MayorAdamWest
jmeyers78

2.58/5  rDev -17.6%

A-pale hazy yellow and almost no head

S-Faint lemons not much else

T-It tastes like a shandy should...lemonade and beer but the flavors aren't very good. The lemon flavor over rides the beer flavor completely.

M-Very carbonated and watery. Very similar to the typical BMC.

O-Not impressed. I can see how a lot of folks would go for this in the summer but for me this beer seems to miss the mark

06-06-2011 09:52:07 | More by jmeyers78
Brencr

Maryland

3.7/5  rDev +18.2%

The aroma is great. The color when poured gives the appearance of an unfiltered beer. The first taste leaves you in confusion as to what type of beverage you are drinking. Overall, this is a good summer drink. It is light, fruity, and quite tastey once you adjust to it.

05-04-2008 14:07:54 | More by Brencr
armiakhe

4.26/5  rDev +36.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The appearance if Leinenkugel Summer Shandy is a pale yellow color. The aroma of it is a lemon and citrus smell which i like a lot. It tastes like lemony beer as well and is very crisp and refreshing especially on a hot summer day. The overall taste and appearance is perfect for summer and really anytime. If you like lemonade you will love this. It does not have the typical beer taste to it.

04-23-2013 20:08:31 | More by armiakhe
ChrisQ

Nebraska

3.2/5  rDev +2.2%

Pour lemonade into a beer. Gross, right? Frankly, Leinenkugel's version is pretty good. A mix of lemonade and beer, one cannot explain it in any more detail.

This seasonal is a good treat for a hot afternoon after of mowing the lawn. This beer is a bit like Gatorade: the more hot and thirsty you are the better it tastes. This beer is a seasonal because one is not usually overheating in the winter.

02-13-2009 03:52:08 | More by ChrisQ
Beertron

1.2/5  rDev -61.7%

First things first...

I've already had this "beer" and abhorred it. I'm reviewing it to detail exactly why its so bad.

Additionally, how is one to review this thing? It's listed under the category of American Pale Wheat Ale but it doesn't seem to fit in there. It's so unlike anything I've ever drank (anything alcoholic at least) that it should be in some other category -- probably Fruit/Vegetable Beers or something. Anyhow, I looked through some of the other beers in this category and saw Capital's Island Wheat and Bell's Oberon (uh oh), so I guess I'll have to review it with those in mind...

This comes from a sample bottle from the distributor. No information on it whatsoever (except that I'm not to resell it). We begin...

A - This poured 1" of pale white head that disappeared in less than 5 seconds, leaving a thin white covering. Extremely cloudy (couldn't even see my fingers through this stuff when held to light!!) soft straw hue, not unlike the color of lemonade. Pretty dang carbonated.

S - Light yeasty scent of sourdough which is pleasant until the end, when a battalion of artificial lemon smells invade. Lemonhead candy, Country Time Lemonade instant-mix powder, lemon Jolly Ranchers, etc. Not unpleasant, but not what I want my beer to smell like.

T - Unreal. This tastes like carbonated water with a small splash of artificial lemon in it -- like if you poured generic lemonade out of a can over ice and let it sit until it was fully watered-down. Carbonation is fierce and if there's any malt flavor in here, the bubbles have effectively destroyed it. Considering how overbearing the artificial lemon scent is, I find it hard to believe how subdued the lemon flavor is. I've honestly never had a beer with this little beer flavor before -- I can't taste malt, wheat, hops or even alcohol...it's fascinating in that regard.

M - Light and mega-effervescent. Sparkling mineral water.

D - Difficult to judge. I'd be willing to bet that I could drink a case of this stuff without acquiring either a buzz or a discernible flavor, but you'd have to put a gun to my head first. For the average BA, the only reason you'd even take a fourth sip is out of sheer disbelief.

This "beer" is so bad that its amazing on a number of levels. It makes you wonder exactly how this became a product. Its staggering to think that someone tasted this and decided that it was good and that it should be marketed. I'm pretty sure that this beer was created exclusively for people that hate beer. Occasionally, I could find a benefit to that -- like that it might help folks who normally don't like beer make the switch -- but anyone who likes this stuff will never like good beer.

My continuing fascination with this stuff led me to perform an experiment. I took a warm can of Country Time lemonade and mixed it with straight carbonated water in a 1:10 ratio (one part "lemonade" to 10 parts water). It's resemblance to this "beer" was uncanny -- a few of my staff members couldn't even figure out which was which. Personally, I didn't find them to be identical -- I actually found the water/lemonade mixture to be better. Honestly, I could certainly see someone finding this refreshing on a hot summer day but a bottle of good sparkling water and a lemon wedge would be cheaper and tastier.

This beer is so terrible that its almost unbelievable. But (and I say this with complete seriousness) you absolutely have to try it for yourself!! It will blow your mind.

03-31-2007 20:43:10 | More by Beertron
PLANETBUSTERRAVE

1.9/5  rDev -39.3%

LEMONADE WEEE! BEER WEEE! I am excited, uhh until I tasted it.

This I will admit is my first shandy, which I must say was very disappointing, the pour was what got me excited, it flowed from the bottle a hazy pale yellow that formed a thick white head, the retention time was surprisingly fast, although it did fizzle down to a good lacing that stuck to the sides of the glass. The hint of carbonation made it look playful and inviting insinuating a true summertime feel. The sweet scents of lemons filled my nostrils when I sniffed the glass, a hint of wheat peeked in, which should have been my first inkling as to what laid ahead.

I was anticipating the first sip the thought of lemonade and beer made me happy, until I got it in my mouth. The excitement disappeared as fast as the head did, it was blam nothing, sure there were lemons, not sweet lemons, not flavorful lemons, not even sour lemons, just lemons plain lemons, flat lemons, its like the lemons decide to party crash and left the wheat out on the porch staring in the window longing for attention.

As were my expectations now, the first gulp felt thick and creamy. It looked like it was going to save the day for me, but it only stayed that way for a little bit. It decides to turn watery making me cry inside. In the end, this beer, felt like a good story gone wrong. It made me want it until I had it, the only way I can truly describe it is if Mary Shelly decide to brew beer waited for it and at that moment she tasted it she had an epiphany and came up with the story of Frankenstein, but, not the story we know and love today, no the first draft, the draft of a story that when finished looks awesome and feels awesome, but when you come back later and re-read it you realize how much it could have been better so you edit and re-edit it until you get a great story, that is what this needs it needs an edit, an edit to finish what should be a great story.

07-29-2008 15:07:57 | More by PLANETBUSTERRAVE
Fulky

3.18/5  rDev +1.6%

Very pale yellow color, mostly clear.. a little bit cloudy. Soapy white head with little retention.

Smells very good. A lot of lemon, almost smells flatly like lemonade.

Tastes alright. Reminds me more of a soft drink than a beer, really. It's crisp and very lemony, not sour like lemonade and not too sugary. Has an apparent beer aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is a bit weak, very watery but also very refreshing. Not terrible.

This beer is not terrible. It is definitely a refreshing summer beer and I wouldn't mind drinking a 6-pack. I recommend it as a compliment to a cook out or to cool down after a hot day. Would pair well with any finger food.

08-22-2011 20:18:03 | More by Fulky

2.09/5  rDev -33.2%

I drank this directly out of the bottle around a campfire.

A- Since it was out of the bottle, I am scoring it AVERAGE.

S- I did take a whiff of it in the bottle and it was like lemony window cleaner. Just an awful combination of chemicals and grain. It wasn't a refreshing smell, but more of a lingering odor of a post-HazMat cleanup.

T- ew. I don't want to drink this. Lemony windex and corn. It fills my head with something I don't want, but I can't seem to get it out! It tastes like a really bad hefe mixed with Country Time Lemonade and salt. Why is it salty?!

M- It has a light and fizzy mouthfeel which is probably what they were looking for.

O- If you're presented with this at a BBQ this summer, pass. Grab a Coke or 7up instead

07-03-2013 19:11:41 | More by Michigan