Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)
View: Beers (35) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
BigMike

1.5/5  rDev -52.2%

09-27-2013 20:49:14 | More by BigMike
BeerCon5

3.65/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours a murky, light yellow color with very thin fluffy head that dissipates quickly.

It has a very strong lemon hopp scent.

Also a strong lemony taste, tastes more like lemonade than beer. Slightly bitter finish, pretty refreshing.

Very light-bodied, crisp mouthfeel with fizzy carbonation.

Very drinkable beer. This is a very refreshing beer and very light, so it would be easy to drink quite a few.

06-26-2008 20:52:12 | More by BeerCon5
Celtics76

Rhode Island

3.13/5  rDev -0.3%

Bought a 12-pack of cans - easy drinking for a tailgate party prior to the Radiohead show in Mansfield. I have a few left over in the fridge so I thought I'd put a review in.

About a half inch of head right after the pour into a Harpoon IPA pint glass. Cloudy as hell appearance, medium yellow color. Tastes like half lemonade, half beer..sugary aftertaste. It's not so bad. I don't think I would get many complaints if I had it available for a cookout.

At 4.2% ABV, it's very easy to pound a few without even thinking about it. Very refreshing, outdoor beer but not one I would recommend if you have a crew of craft beer lovers coming over.

Serving type: can

06-08-2012 21:46:56 | More by Celtics76
Nerudamann

Oregon

2.88/5  rDev -8.3%

Look - very light straw color, cloudy, lemonaide-looking. Good foam, about two finger's worth. Good carbonation, but hard to see due to cloudiness.

Smell - definite lemon smell. More hoppy than malty, but not extremely hoppy.

Taste - very strong lemon taste. Tastes like it should have an entire lemon floating in it...I can't get too far past it in the taste to find anything else.

Mouthfeel - medium..somewhat light, somewhat creamy.

Drinkability - probably not the greatest beer, but in terms of repeat drinkability, with the lower abv and not-very-beer-like taste, you could come back to this type of beer a few times.

07-08-2010 03:34:36 | More by Nerudamann

06-04-2013 01:13:45 | More by Rihup
Strix

Wisconsin

3.15/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a darkish cloudy yellow, which doesn't look that appealing, with decent head

Smells pretty much exactly like Country Time Lemonade

Tastes predominately like Country Time Lemonade as well, then kind of fades to a Honey Weiss-like vague beer flavor. Lacking complexity.

Mouthfeel is incredibly light. Which is all right, considering what this beer is trying to be I guess.

I guess I have mixed feelings about this one. This is drinkable, but not very beerlike. More like Smirnoff Ice or Mike's Hard Lemonade. I think this succeeds in being what it is, although I can see how many people here could be turned off. A glass of half lemonade and half Honey Weiss could quite probably produce a similar product.

In the Leine's fruity beer category, I still prefer the Sunset Wheat.

12-12-2007 03:07:37 | More by Strix

mkennedy119

10-25-2012 04:17:23 | More by mkennedy119
chilidog

3.88/5  rDev +23.6%

I gotta tell ya, I passed this beer up accouple times already think'n, I'll wait. I guess I was affraid of the ade, Lemonade that is.

knowing what to expect, helps.
The beer pours a cloudy, hazy, pulpy yellow straw color. A nice white head forms and maintains well. Lace is pretty good too. No fizz.

The aroma, Wow!! set back and enjoy thisone. The aroma just pops out at you with big lemon, citric lime and some wheat.

The taste is good, Lemon yes, but toned down a piece. Hints of lime, sugar and wheat or bread-like.

The mouthfeel is alittle thin, watered. If they add lemonade to the beer, perhaps why. Myself, leave the pulp in.

Drinkable yes, goes down easy. A real pleaser on a hot day. We'll reach 90's, Im saving accouple for that. The low abv. is non-intrusive and aids the beers use.

06-05-2007 02:33:37 | More by chilidog
StArnoldFan

2.93/5  rDev -6.7%

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint

Bottle dated best by Sep 03 2013

Well I have to start by saying I was expecting a little more on this one, I live in Houston and I drink Live Oak Hefe on the reg and I always have it served with a lemon slice, so when I see this at the store say traditional Weisse with lemon I think it's something I could enjoy. Pours a cloudy lemonade color with a couple finger head that doesn't last, almost no lacing as the glass goes down. All lemon on the scent. More lemon on the taste than I would like for the style, I expected a Weisse with a lemon hint not a mixture of beer and lemonade. Overall, it's ok, I'm not going to pour it out or anything, but its defiantly not something I'm going to seek out again.

07-03-2013 01:00:32 | More by StArnoldFan
Maillard

3.25/5  rDev +3.5%

07-07-2013 05:20:48 | More by Maillard
pjkelley82

3.39/5  rDev +8%

I was very surprised by this beer. Thought the lemon would be overpowering but only had hints of it. I mean you can smell and taste that it's there but it's not too overpowering for me. Had a good wheat appearance, decent head, nothing to brag about. Only downer for me was it was about average on the beer end of it. I think it would be allot better in the heat of the summer bit if there was nothing else I'd get it again..

06-09-2013 04:49:44 | More by pjkelley82