Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007

Reviews: 607 | Hads: 3,353
4.61/5  rDev +48.2%

I bought a six pack of this a few years ago. I polished off 5 bottles in 25 minutes, before I realized how much I had. This stuff is evil! I've sworn it off.

It goes down too easily. It's best to skip it, if you're thirsty. It tastes more like lemonade, than a beer.

3.07/5  rDev -1.3%

The appearance is not impressive, but not bad either. The head, never much, dissipates into near nothingness extremely fast, leaving a cloudy dark yellow.

It smells very nice, though not too strong. Unsurprisingly, the citrus scent from the lemon is evident immediately, mixing well with a slight alcohol nose. It actually sort of reminds me of lemon tea. A faint hint of spiciness.

Very tingly beer, reminding me of soda in how initially tingly we're talking. It smells like it tastes. Not strong, but nice. Very, very citrusy, so the six pack box wasn't lying when it told me this stuff was made with lemonade. It never really tastes much "like beer" to me, though, until I hit the aftertaste, which might actually be my favorite part of drinking this beer. It's got a very, very nice aftertaste. The lemon and alcohol tastes finally mix very well at that point. Before that, the lemon is more dominant.

Overall, an okay light beer. Without the lemonade background in its making, this would be very mediocre. As is, it's good enough past mediocre to be okay. I like it.

2.62/5  rDev -15.8%

12oz bottle poured into a weizen glass. Pours very pale straw, slightly cloudy with a 1 1/2 inch head the mostly disappeared. Some loose lacing that fell back into the beer.

Smells of grass, lemon, and some light spice.

This beer is dominated by the lemon. There were some softer malt/yeasty flavors and a hint of citrus other than lemon.

This beer was a bit thin, almost spritzy feel with medium carbonation.

Overall, this was a bit much. The label says "Weiss beer with lemon" so I was looking forward to something refreshing. Well the lemon was there, but I never did find the weiss beer part. It was light and ctirusy cool, but left me feeling more like I was holding a clear "malt" beverage than a beer. Too much lemon and way to sweet to even think about drinking more than one without getting a stomachache. Interesting, but more lemonade than beer. I won't be getting this one again.

3.13/5  rDev +0.6%

This was a suggestion from my son. He say's it's his favorite beer. My impression was that it has a citrus taste to it. But after he said he thinks it tastes like "Fruity Pebbles" I have to admit he had it nailed, it does taste like Fruity Pebbles. It definitely has a unique taste to it.

2.9/5  rDev -6.8%

poured into pint glass

A- cloudy yellow. head quickly disappeared. lacing sticks to glass nicely.Little to no carbonation.

S- Sweet blend of wheat and fresh lemonade. However it kind of reminds me of a Bud Light Lime or some other low quality fruit infused beer.

T- Pretty tasty. Initial lemon pow followed by even more lemon. Aftertaste is surprisingly... lemon!

M- Very easy going down. No carbonation on tongue with nothing but lemon aftertaste left in mouth.

D- I find this beer to taste more like a "bitch drink"(excuse the language) however it is easy to drink and on a weekend like the 4th of July I might end up with several in my belly. I wouldn't rush out to the store to buy more though.

This is like a more lemony version of the sunset wheat and little more watery and a little more perfumey. At times I can't tell this and the sunset wheat apart, thought that hint of perfume in this one is the field mark I look for.

If I am going to mix lemonade and beer I will stick with sol or corona,

2.07/5  rDev -33.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass

A - Pours a light gold. Short lasting foam

S - hops and lemons

T - A standard wheat with added tinges of watered down lemonade mixture.

M - Light and an a feeling of over carbonation. It's almost as if they over-carbonated just because it's a "summer seasonal".

D - It seems that it would have been better to use a regular lemon instead of the mixture chosen. I purchased a six-pack, but let guests finish the rest. I'm unlikely to ever purchase again.

2.1/5  rDev -32.5%

It's almost 100 degrees where I am today, so here is a review of a summer beer. This one is from Leinenkugel, a brewery in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin.

Now in my experience, there are two kinds of "seasonal" beers... The first is an honest attempt to bring a seasonal characteristic to a well made beer, in order to give the consumer something interesting and enjoyable. The second kind of seasonal is one that is just a gimmick. A beer made to capitalize on the time of year, and the impulse buy of the customer. This beer clearly falls in the the second category.

leinenkugel's summer shandy

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy, is a self described "beer made with natural lemonade flavor." The brew pours with a thick creamy head (so I thought I was in for a treat,) and is a yellow, opaque color.
It presents with a lemony aroma, and has the bubbles of a carbonated bottled water. When you take your first sip, your mouth fills with the lemon taste, but there is very little beer taste to it at all. In fact, the more you drink this beer, the less lemon you taste, and the more it just feels like your drinking a watered down lemonade. No matter what flavor the brewery is trying to infuse, I still like to be reminded that I am drinking a beer. The alcohol content is only 4.2%, the same as a Bud Light, so there is no kick or burn at all.

There is no shortage of summer beers out there, I would suggest putting this one very low on your list of ones to try. If you don't like beer, and prefer wine coolers and spritzers, this may appeal to you.

It should be noted that not everything this brewery puts out is crap...They actually make a decent Imperial Stout and IPA, don't know what happened to this recipe.

4.24/5  rDev +36.3%

Ok first thing is first. I'm a slut for a good shandy, and I was already a little buzzed at a baseball game.
But I gotta tell ya, if you like lemony and beer this is a marriage that works.
Poured nicely with that rich golden lemon color.
The smell is fantastic, very summery.
Goes down smooth and finishes sweet. Overall a very good beer.
Unfortunate its not getting much love on this review page.

i enjoy most Leinenkugels but Summer Shandy would be my best guess at what Pine Sol tastes like. Most of my friends enjoy it so it must be my messed up taste buds!

3.2/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pretty decent shandy - used to like this way more than I do now. Maybe because I'm more into pale ales and IPAs now. If you're looking for refreshment though this is a solid one to pick up.

3.17/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is a weird one. From Leinenkugel the makers of weird beer. Lemonaid and beer mixed together, sounds gross right? Well it's better then I expected it to be, not great though. Aperently this style of lemonaid beer is biger in England and parts of Europe but it is the only one I have seen in the U.S. It is a good summer beer, light and taste like lemonaid beer. Neither flavor is over-powering which is what I had expected it to be like. I can't say I could drink alot of them but every once and a while it would be ok to have a few. You have to try this one for your self to really understand the flavor.

4.92/5  rDev +58.2%

Great summer beer but only in small quantities. As described it is very lemony. You get a lot more lemon than beer, but still a great combination for the summer! The wheat off sets it enough to let the title of beer remain. Hey, if you like lemonade and beer give this a try. I also recommend pouring this in a glass and adding a real lemon wedge and circling the rim of the glass then putting it right in the beer.

2.82/5  rDev -9.3%

It was 70 degrees yesterday and I sat on my front porch blastin' out old foreign punk rock. Today it's rainy so I bought this to cheer me up. :)

Serving type: bottle. the only way it comes?
appearance: always drink from the bottle.
Smell: citrus, maybe a little bread.
Taste: citrus and real beer flavor mixed. It starts off as citrusy but then turns to a beer flavor. A smooth citrus rather than zesty and pronounced one such as Mike's Lemonade.
Mouthfeel: real light and smooth.

Overall: I didn't realize this was only 4.2 percent until I got it home. I never buy below 5% just 'cause I want a real beer and not "lite" beer. I liked the other 3 beers I had by this company last summer. One was blueberry I believe and another wheat? Can't remember exactly. Summer Shandy is something you could drink all day if it was sold cheaply enough or was free. I'm not gonna but it again because at $7 it's a bit expensive for the ABV. and falling into the "joke" beer category such as being a lemonade.

2.42/5  rDev -22.2%

Enjoyed from a bottle

A: Hazy, pale, yellow. Some streaming bubbles, two fingers of a white head.

S: Lemon, some white bread

T: Lemon up front, bready, with the slightest hint of booze and bitter, the finish is kind of boring yet refreshing.

M: light, dry, low carbonation

O: Not big on flavored beers. To much lemon, not enough depth. Kind of boring and bland. Not terrible, it's drinkable and solid for what it is. For a hot summer day it'd be nice. I mostly drink it in summer on the boat. If your new to beers and don't necessarily like beer all that much TRY IT!

3.52/5  rDev +13.2%

Overall a nice summer thirst quencher

Beery lemonade -- if you like the other offerings from Leinenkugels this will be up your alley

Tart slightly artificial lemonade flavor

One is enough in a sitting - although I look forward to one on a 90 degree August afternoon

3.36/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer is strangely a little better than the sum of its parts.

Poured into a wet pilsner glass using the "Hacker Pschorr" pour video from that website. A cloudy, pale straw color with a nice thick head that stuck around much longer than I expected.

The aroma is a little overpowering; sort of like a lemon-scented cleaner mixed with beer.

The taste is thin for a wheat, and a little overpowered by the lemon.

But surprisingly, both my neighbors and I agreed it was very drinkable, in the end. Suffice it to say that this is not the highest testament to the art of brewing one will find in stores this summer. But it's an interesting attempt, and a quite acceptable offering for a hot night out on the dec.

3.15/5  rDev +1.3%

A: Poured a cloudy yellow with a very thin pale white head. Very low carbonation had the head disappear very quickly.

S: Very strong in the smell of lemons. Considering that this is a shandy it does have the aroma of lemonade.

T: Not much in the flavor of beer at all. Lemonade flavoring dominates this beer. Not along the same lines as a hard lemonade but none the less a nice alternative taste to such drinks.

M: Very easy on the taste buds and smooth going down. Quite watery however with no real body.

D: It's ok and maybe worth once in a while on a nice summer day. But I would not buy this on a regular basis even if I could.

2.95/5  rDev -5.1%

I'll be the first to admit that I think that Leinenkugel's is a very overrated brewer. This beer won't change my mind. Very "lemon-y" and sweet which I personally don't care for in a beer. I expected a much more tart flavor but it is rather sweet which keeps one from being able to drink to many at a time.

2.43/5  rDev -21.9%

Since the beer selection at the renaissance festival was limited to Coors products, and I was not in the mood for mead, I pretty much stuck with this for an afternoon.

Poured a murky brown-ish gold with some carbonation. What little head was there evaporated within a few minutes.

Aroma was slightly spicy with some citrus hints, but I"m also giving that edge to the lime wedge they gave me. Guess they were short of lemons that day...

As far as taste goes, a crisp start gives was to some malt flavor. Sugar (honey) was abundant throughout.

Mouthfeel was fine as this was the paramount reason to have a beer in the hot sun at a festival. Since the ABV was relatively mild, you could knock this back most of an afternoon and be fine.

For what it's worth, this isn't the worst beer in the world. Is it great? Heavens no. But if it's sunny, you're outside for a couple of hours and have to quench that thirst, you could do a lot worse.

2.58/5  rDev -17%

This pours yellow with little head. Smells like lemon and tastes like lemonade mixed with a light lager. Light-bodied, but decently carbonated. This may be a session beer for some, but I could not drink more than two because it's too sweet and the taste just isn't for me.

1.59/5  rDev -48.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

THis beer tastes like wet sock water and lemon peels. You would have to be in a pretty desperate state for this to be refreshing. I kept taking drinks expecting it to get better not believing it was as horrible as it seemed at first taste, sadly it is.

3.45/5  rDev +10.9%

A - Pours a very cloudy golden yellow color with moderate carbonation. Minimal head is white in color and thin, dissipates quickly with little lacing.

S - Interesting smell for a beer, very lemony and sweet. Strangely, there is very little hint of standard beer scents like malts or hops. Though not like a standard beer, there is certainly something there to set it apart from a lemonade.

T - Very refreshing taste with an immediate lemon flavor. The lemon is a little sour and masks some of the wheat in the background. It finishes with some sour notes and a little aftertaste.

M - Very carbonated feel, almost a little harsh when you first take a sip. After the initial feel, the bubbles thin out quickly to reveal a moderate body.

D - Moderately drinkable, especially in the summer. The lemony flavor is very nice but gets a little sour after awhile. Good for a summer seasonal beer.

3.87/5  rDev +24.4%

The smell of lemon does not overwhelm the maltiness of the beer. It pours a bright sunshine yellow which foreshadows the presence of lemon. The tase is a pleasant balance of lemon and malt that surprised me. I was sure this would be some cheap "hard lemonade" concoction, but it wasn't. It was balanced and fun to drink.

3.38/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Not a bad beer.. just a bit too strong on the lemon. Best described as an Cream Ale with a strong lemon addition.

Proved to be overly tart lemony and with little sweetness.. Closer to a dry Mikes Hard lemonade than a Lager or an Ale.

I can see it being a good summer beer or a beer for someone that normally doesn't drink beer. For me though I think I will pass next time.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company