Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007

Ratings: 3,210 | Reviews: 673

Refreshing beverage. Not too sweet.

Great wit

4.5/5  rDev +42.4%

Light and refreshing when I don't want a heavier beer. Great in the Summer.

3.75/5  rDev +18.7%

Not a huge fan of shandy style beers, but this beer is a great hot day session beer if you like lemon.

1.82/5  rDev -42.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

Poured into tumbler. Dirty yellow color. Smell is lemon and yeast. Taste is like a dirty lemonade. Light carbonation. No head. Decent lacing. Did not like this at all.

Tasty and refreshing summer beer!

Not too bad. Would drink again

3.75/5  rDev +18.7%

While it isn't up there with some of the great craft beers out now, there is still nothing more refreshing after mowing a lawn in 90 degree heat.

Different strokes for different folks on this one. I think Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy is awesome. It is a great summer beer when its hot as hell and you want something refreshing. Lemon beer sounds like a hideous combination admittledly but this is good stuff. I usually like beer from a glass, but here I prefer drinking from the can or bottle. Technically, this isn't good beer but a good shandy and should be judged as such. This is much better than the 72 rating would suggest.

2.75/5  rDev -13%

In ~fresh~ cans over the summer, this is actually decently tasty. It's not refined or all that remarkable, but it can really hit the spot sometimes.

Great summer beer

3.75/5  rDev +18.7%

It tastes exactly like the style it is meant to emulate, all in one bottle. Better on tap or from a can, doesn't taste quite right from a bottle. Great for hot summertime drinking.

3.32/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours very hazy golden color with thick foamy head. Head retention and lacing are actually very good with this one. Has basically a zesty, lemon aroma. There is a light malty backbone followed by that lemon zest when drinking. Refreshing on a hot summer day, but there is no complexity. More like hard lemonade if you ask me.

i enjoy most Leinenkugels but Summer Shandy would be my best guess at what Pine Sol tastes like. Most of my friends enjoy it so it must be my messed up taste buds!

3.25/5  rDev +2.8%

A: poured into a mug to a cloudy and hazed yellow with a finger of dense white head that is quick to faid and has minimal retention
S: smells of artificial lemonade
T: taste is tart lemonade with a little bit of maltyness but mostly the lemonade. swallow is more lemonade and just a little bit of malt
M: kind of thick with slightly prickly carbonation and a refreshing finish
O: not a whole lot of beer flavor going on but there's a whole lot of lemonade flavor. a little too one sided for my taste and there are better summer beers out there

4.1/5  rDev +29.7%

All beer is relative to the day, a hot day in Southern California with limited refreshing options in the store, not a double IPA day based on my weather and yard work, ~90 outside. I prefer lemon beer to lemonade on this frustration day. It agrees with me. Give it a try on a hot day, I don't think you will mind it's company. It's got more than you deserve.

3.25/5  rDev +2.8%

Very refreshing, but as the beer warms it loses the refreshing taste. The lemon nuances are definitely there. Best served ice cold.

3.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Exactly what I was expecting. I love lemon in the summertime. This brew is exactly what it should be. Light. Citrus. Delicious. Perfect for drinking by the pool side or in the hot sun. So much better a choice than a BMC IMO. As the sun begins to set, so too, set this aside for something more robust and interesting. But in the heat of the day....very cool.

3.02/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

I had to try it after seeing commercials on it and people talk about how good it is. So I got a 12 pack at the store for $14 so I thought by that it would be good. Its a Lemonade flavored light beer but very disappointing. I thought it would taste like beer and Lemonade mixed but instead it tastes mainly of Lemonade with a slight hint of beer taste. I have tried other flavored beers such as Samuel Adams Blueberry beer and its right on. Its equal alcohol and blueberry taste. I will stick to plain, non flavored light beer. I recommend this beer to anyone who doesn't like the beer taste yet wants to drink a beer. I would drink this again as long as its free but I won't buy this again.

3.07/5  rDev -2.8%

The appearance is not impressive, but not bad either. The head, never much, dissipates into near nothingness extremely fast, leaving a cloudy dark yellow.

It smells very nice, though not too strong. Unsurprisingly, the citrus scent from the lemon is evident immediately, mixing well with a slight alcohol nose. It actually sort of reminds me of lemon tea. A faint hint of spiciness.

Very tingly beer, reminding me of soda in how initially tingly we're talking. It smells like it tastes. Not strong, but nice. Very, very citrusy, so the six pack box wasn't lying when it told me this stuff was made with lemonade. It never really tastes much "like beer" to me, though, until I hit the aftertaste, which might actually be my favorite part of drinking this beer. It's got a very, very nice aftertaste. The lemon and alcohol tastes finally mix very well at that point. Before that, the lemon is more dominant.

Overall, an okay light beer. Without the lemonade background in its making, this would be very mediocre. As is, it's good enough past mediocre to be okay. I like it.

3.83/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

If you approach this shandy as not a beer but an alchoholic lemonade (a hard lemonade, I guess) it's a wonderful and refreshing beverage on a hot summer day. Honestly, this drink hit the spot perfectly.

However, like I said, you need to approach this beer differently than other beers. Keep an open mind, and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Lemon notes stood out so strongly I could forget I was drinking a beer and imagine I was drinking lemonade. It doesn't go down smooth, but neither does lemonade, I suppose.

2.45/5  rDev -22.5%

This Radler poured with a bright lemon yellow hue that was capped by a fizzy, carbonated foam that collared away to nothing.

The nose is lemony, sort of sugary, with an obvious carbonated soda water.

The flavor is lemony as well but it's a sugary sweet artificial flavor. The finish is harsh and seems loaded with soda water, or Perrier like taste. I hate sparkling water and this reminds me of it.

The feel is so overly carbonated that it's harsh and prickly. It's almost too harsh to drink.

I drained poured this, because I should not undergo torture while drinking beer.

3.17/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 2 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

As new to beer drinking I wanted to try something on the lighter side. I got one in my make your own 6 pack. It came in a bottle so can't really say on appearance. Decent looking label. Smells highly of lemon and citrus tastes the same as it smells. Really easy beer to drink.

3.66/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Look: Nothing special here. It doesn't even really look like beer, honestly. A light yellow, straw color, hazy, not clear. Fizzy head at first, which fizz's down to nothing, like soda.

Smell: Wheat, and MUCH lemon. Very zesty, and very summer-like.

Taste: Lemon. Surprised? Kinda wheaty. It's very thirst quenching, and seems ideal for a summer day. High in carbonation and lemon flavor makes this perfect for a hot day.

Mouthfeel: Exactly like soda, which in my opinion, for a summer beer i not a bad thing. Light bodied and high in carbonation.

Overall: I'm surprised by the overall rating on this beer. I think this beer is fantastic. It think it's the ideal party beer for both craft beer lovers and "non-craft" beer drinkers. I think this beer can be appreciated by the masses. It's not amazing, but it's LEAPS AND BOUNDS, better than all the lime flavor lagers produced by the big guys. This was one of the beers that made me start to appreciate the finer beers.

3.7/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz : tulip

Pours an opaque, golden wheat color with a thick, billowy white head with great retention.

Strong citrusy, lightly sweet lemon predominately. Faint grainy, wheat backbone.

More of a balance between the lemon and wheat notes, though the lemon still finishes a bit ahead.

Medium+ body, foamy carbonation.

Not an everyday beer for me personally, but it certainly has it's time and place and is well done for what it is.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company