2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Leinenkugel's Summer ShandyLeinenkugel's Summer Shandy

Ratings: 2083

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)
View: Beers (34) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,083 | Reviews: 524 | Show All Ratings:
cooch69

3.75/5  rDev +19.8%

This beer is a really murky and pastel colored yellow. It only had traces of a head, but a decent looking bready one at that.

Nose is really lemony and rather tart. Just like smelling a lemon tart desert pie. A little bit of grains and bready malts in the backdrop.

The flavors on this one are as smooth as chalk. Smooth semi creamy mouthfeel. Very lemony and slightly tart. Really thirst quenching and satisfying for a hot, humid summer day. I can't complain with one of these in weather like this. Only a little bit of wheaty malts comes through in the finish which blend rather well with the flavors of lemonade. One would never think that these actually complement each other until it's tried.

Is this a really light and unrefined beverage? Yes but it's damn tasty in the sun.

07-30-2011 00:27:17 | More by cooch69
puboflyons

New Hampshire

2.68/5  rDev -14.4%

From can no. Oct1711-A01190620. Sampled on July 29, 2011. The pour is lemon yellow with a bit of a lemon zing haze and a huge puffy head. This reeks of lemon zing to the point that I get little else except a whisper of fresh hops and grain. But I gave it a 3.5 on the aroma because it didn't smell artificial. The body is light and thin which would be perfect for a 90 degree day. The taste is way too overboard with the lemon and a grainy character up back.

07-30-2011 00:04:56 | More by puboflyons
TheBeerAlmanac

Kentucky

3.13/5  rDev 0%

Bottle poured into a tulip

A: Pours a whitish yellow with a slight green tint in particular light. It’s very cloudy with a foamy head and large bubbles that settle into more tightly packed fizz.

S: Aroma is like lemonade with some spicy fizziness and a sweetness that becomes heavy with excessive sugar immediately after taking the first whiff.

T/M: Has a medium amount of carbonation and is much lighter than anticipated; you’d expect something very similar to a carbonated lemonade but it’s not nearly as sweet or flavorful. Big bubbles perforate the mouth and the slightly sour, slightly sweet citrus soda essence takes shape. There’s a subtle bitterness in the finish.

This is like a fruit beer and saison mixed together and is decently refreshing, but it’s not going to hit the spot for true beer enthusiasts.

07-29-2011 01:48:27 | More by TheBeerAlmanac
DavidSeanNJ

2.98/5  rDev -4.8%

So it's really cute that my girlfriend is trying to get into craft beers. She tends to love the sweeter and more fruit based beers. This is one that she absolutely loved and goes out of her way to purchase. I had to give it a shot.

Bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Hazy golden color. Looks like a dark lemonade. Some lacing and some bubbles on the walls of the glass. Taste is all lemon and malt- carbonated lemonade- tons of citrus flavor. I can see why this is an attractive beer to some. Light bodied. Very carbonated. Not my cup of tea, but it is popular given the fact that it is easy drinking and flavorful.

07-26-2011 22:12:37 | More by DavidSeanNJ
engagechad

2.17/5  rDev -30.7%

Purchased at Deluxe in Richmond, VA - poured into pint glass

Pours a golden yellow with a fat pillowy head. Smells lemony but kind of nail polishy too. Taste is horrid. It tastes like lemon flavored corn water. Feels slimey and overall this beer was a waste of money.

Don't.

07-26-2011 18:15:37 | More by engagechad
biglobo8971

2.95/5  rDev -5.8%

this is one of my wife's favorite beers, being the fact I have nothing else left to drink, I had to open it.
A- very pale yellow, maybe pale isnt the word to use. How about urine like?
S - Citrus is the only thing I can smell, lots of citrus
T - citrus rine, some sweetness, lots of citrus bitterness
M - easy to drink, if you like lemonade
O - this is one beer that is constantly in my fridge that I dont like to touch. Not to say its a bad beer, but it leaves me wanting to drink something with more flavor and bite.
good lawnmower beer, or beer to throw through a lawnmower.

07-25-2011 02:35:41 | More by biglobo8971
mead4me

3.6/5  rDev +15%

This beer is a great session beer, sitting out back or by the pool on a hot day. This is by far one of the better summer shandy's out there. I really prefer this on a hot day then my go to paulander heifer. A wheat beer on a hot summer day or night is what I look forward to after a long day at work. If you like wheat beers then this is a good one. Not for everyone but for me it just fine. Going in to get my third one now.

07-22-2011 22:07:33 | More by mead4me
billab914

12oz bottle into my Three Floyd's glass. Hazy and a lighter, golden yellow color with a thin, frothy white head to it. Decent lacing on the glass as I drank it.

The aroma has a lemon-aid, slightly lemony household cleaner type of flavor to it. Just a hint of a grainy, sweet, beer base to it.

The taste shows a little more of a sweeter, grainy, beer quality to it up front. The finish is all about the lemonaid with a tart, lemony quality to it.

The mouthfeel is light and carbonation is above average. overall, it was a decent beverage but not a very good beer. I think I'd rather just have an actual lemon-aid.

07-22-2011 20:41:45 | More by billab914
kylehay2004

A: Single finger head which rapidly disspiates to a thin rim around the periphery. Murky straw color with golden hues.

S: Very lemony with a bit of bready/wheat.

T: No esoteric commentary needed here. Just read the label... " Beer with natural lemonade flavor". More like lemonade with a touch of beer flavor.

M: May be the most refreshing beer ever. Its carbonated lemonade. Add some sugar and you have a Mike Hard Lemonade.

Overall: Maybe these types of beer are for some, but not for me.

07-22-2011 07:08:20 | More by kylehay2004
VelvetExtract

2.98/5  rDev -4.8%

I knew I would eventually end up reviewing this beer.

A-Well, If lemonade had a head, this beer would be almost indistinguishable from the fruity beverage. Translucent. Hard to see any carbonation. Head is bone white and leaves more lacing that anticipated. How do I rate this? As a beer, it looks less than amazing. As a lemon spawned Summer sipper, I guess it looks nice.

S-Lemonade. Artificial lemonade. Smells like a plastic bottle of vending machine lemonade. The more I smell, the more I will admit that this brew may harbor some natural lemon tartness. So maybe the vending machine comment should be revoked? The flavor will decide.

T-To be honest, the flavor displays more natural lemon flavor and far less sickly sweet artificial lemon flavor. I recently burped and the burp's aftertaste was identical to lemonade. Was expecting a lot more 'Lemonade flavored Splenda' than 'Hey, this truly tastes like Lemonade'. So I guess that means good job?

M-Crisp and the carbonation draws my attention. Light body.

O/D-Better than expected. I don't really like lemonade anyway so this one never had to chance to make the word 'underrated' slide across my mind. Yet, while trying to be somewhat objective, this thing does not suck nearly as bad as expected.

07-22-2011 05:06:52 | More by VelvetExtract
mdaschaf

Washington

2.95/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Had on tap at some bar in Rehoboth Beach, DE.

A: Served in a pint glass the beer is straw/light yellow in color, slightly hazy, with a one finger white head on top. Decent head retention and moderate lacing.

S: Reminded me of very strong and tart lemonade. It was very sweet and sugary, not much else came through at all.

T: Very similar to the aroma, lots of very sugary lemons. It reminds of cheap lemonade mix that I used to use as a kid, except this tastes like when you add WAY too much of the mix and a ton of the sugar sits at the bottom of your glass.

M: Surprisingly crisp and refreshing, the slightly sour twang is nice actually.

O: Honestly, better than I expected it to be, but still, a bit over the top in terms of sweetness and not very beer-like either.

07-21-2011 17:21:28 | More by mdaschaf
portia99

3.03/5  rDev -3.2%

12oz can poured into a Brooklyn snifter. My dad loves this beer, so I bought him a 12pk for when he comes over to the house...figured I'd give one a shot on this warm summer night.

A - Pours a very hazy/cloudy translucent extra pale golden color - somewhat fruit juice like. A strong finger of very fizzy soda-y head rises on the pour and loudly disintegrates to the surface leaving a mono-layer of bubbles for a collar and nothing else. Not that impressive for a wheat based beer.

S - Pure lemonade on the nose complete with a sugary sweetness on top of the fruit. I like lemonade and enjoy this smell too, but its difficult to reconcile this as beer from the aroma.

T - Yep, lemonade on the tongue too...but not a clean lemonade flavor, almost like there is a splash of orange juice? in there too. The faintest hint of wheat can be found as well as a sprinkle of hoppy bitterness.

M - Thin, fruity/lemony, Sprite-like, fizzy and very prickly strong carbonation level.

O - Objectively, this isn't a very good beer. In fact it doesn't even resemble beer...Mike's Hard Lemonade is more beer-like than this. This being said, I kinda enjoy this on its own, standing by itself without attaching a label to it. Hot day, mowing the lawn, a 12pk could disappear quickly...just think of it as a refreshing lemon drink with a touch of alcohol in it...it's not bad. I like it, but this isn't beer!

07-21-2011 01:21:45 | More by portia99
buyBinboaVodka

1.6/5  rDev -48.9%

I had this beer on tap served with a flight of beers - 5oz pour.

A - It was served in a 5oz flight glass, a cloudy golden apperance. By the time it got to me there was no head left and no lacing around the glass. This was evident by the size of the rest of the pours.

S - Smells like lemonade, and uhh medicinal smell? Kind of like Emergen C or Airborne. Not much going on here except that powerful citrus aroma.

T - It tastes way worse then it smells. Like straight up medicine that you do not want to drink anymore. Just plain bad. Its not even sweet! I just taste chalky powdered airborne in there.

M - Very thin with high carbonation...like fizzy bubbles everywhere.

O - I would never buy this beer, nor will I drink it even on a hot summer day. I just feel like I am taking medication rather than drinking a beer. Worth a try just to say you had it.

07-18-2011 10:21:25 | More by buyBinboaVodka
deebo

2.25/5  rDev -28.1%

A-Cloudy appearance with a pale yellow color, white head with a little staying power

S-Lemonade flavor is dominant, hint of pale malt in there

T-Lemonade flavor, with a hint of a weiss beer in there at the end, maybe a hint of hop in the end-but probably just the carbonation.

M-Thin, light to medium carbonation. Smooth
and easy to drink.

D-Easy to drink these on a hot humid day like today.

O-Think Leine's could have done something better with this beer-seemingly took the cheap route by making a basic weiss beer-(Is it their base beer that they use to make honey weiss?) and adding some lemonade flavoring, too much in my opinion, and this was the result. Would be interesting to make this one with lemon juice or peel and see what could be done here. For a summer seasonal can see why this would appeal to many though-easy to drink and refreshing on a hot summer day.

07-16-2011 22:57:18 | More by deebo
cmq103

2.53/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from my dual-tap kegerator into a pint glass. I normally wouldn't buy a lemonade flavored beer but from time to time, I have to give a tap choice to my wife and this is one her favorites during the summer. With that said, lets get on to the review.

Appearance: This pour is yellow and cloudy, typical of your unfiltered wheat beer. Average one-finger head that quickly diminishes.

Smell: Believe it or not, the lemonade aroma dominates. I mean really dominates. I can't smell much of anything else. Certainly not any beer aroma.

Taste: Yes sir, this is a lemonade beer. Not as bad as a lemonade flavor wine cooler, as it lacks the syrupy sweetness and thickness. I catch a faint background of a wheat beer trying desperately to come out, but the lemon flavor pushes back hard and says, "Not on my watch".

Mouthfeel: It has that lively carbonation and does go down effortlessly.

Overall: I'll be honest, if I'm out mowing the lawn in the 90 degree heat, plus high humidity weather, this beer would taste pretty darn good going down. Short of that, this beer didn't have the typical flavors of a good unfiltered wheat ale, which it tries to resemble. I liked it better than their Sunset Wheat, which was too sweet and cereal tasting for my liking. Give me my Allagash White Ale or Southampton Double White Ale for my summer drinking beer...

07-15-2011 23:47:43 | More by cmq103
Ahoyhoyindeed

3.98/5  rDev +27.2%

Admittedly I'm a sucker for sweeter beers, but even I was skeptical at a lemonade/beer combo. However girly it may be, it is a delicious and refreshing beer that manages to eliminate all of the negatives of a malt beverage like Mike's Hard or a flavored beer like Bud Light Lime. There's no lingering sweetness, and isn't harsh on the stomach acid wise. You can taste the beer and the lemonade, but neither are bad. The flavors don't taste fake or forced. Great refreshing beer for a summer barbeque.

07-14-2011 16:35:11 | More by Ahoyhoyindeed
ZAP

3.38/5  rDev +8%

Have been putting off trying this one for ages and decided to spring for a mixed 12-pack with this in it.

Not a lot to report....american wheat ale meets lemonade....aroma is big on the lemons....taste leans heavier toward the wheat ale...then some lemonade notes and some honey feel to the taste as well....really looks the part in the glass..

In a way it is kind of refreshing. Low ABV....I sweated my ass of in the weight room tonight and this actually kind of hits the spot for me. Might grab one out of a friends cooler on a hot day or something but not thinking I'll be buying much of this.

07-12-2011 04:13:10 | More by ZAP
mattgreger

3.63/5  rDev +16%

The brew poured a very cloudy yellow color, not allowing very much light to shine through. It had a bit of a small white head on top, that faded quickly. This brew didn't have much lacing at all.

The beer had a nice strong lemon aroma. Very much like lemons that have been sitting in the sun. Its dumb, its like sunshine in a bottle, the aroma makes you think summer right away. It has a great smell of a wonderfully cold lemonade. It seems to be holding true to the style.

Its apparent in the flavor of this beer that they have gone for. Its very much like the Sunset Wheat. It has a great lemon flavor that goes well with the carbonation levels of the brew. Its actually helps give this brew a great balance. Its a bit tart and sweet at the same time, making it very good.

The mouthful onl this brew is pretty good. I am not oen to drink a lot of vegetable/fruit beers, but this is a great one for the summer. Its has a thirst quenching aspect that is great. I would surely reach for this again.

Its a very drinkable brew, with a nice carbonation that goes with the lemon flavors. It goes down easy, with a bit of a tingle on the tongue. I will surely reach for it again.

07-11-2011 20:12:57 | More by mattgreger
BeerAmbassador

Arizona

2.68/5  rDev -14.4%

Hazy yellow color with a thin head that dissipates after a minute or two. Wheat on the nose with a soapy lemon aroma. Lemon flavor is predominant and definitely does not taste like fresh squeezed lemonade, but I wasn't expecting it to. More like Country Time lemonade. Carbonation is pretty good. All in all it is not a great beer, but it is pretty refreshing. I can't see myself buying this again, but on a 105+ degree day in Phoenix if someone handed me one I would certainly enjoy it.

07-10-2011 23:27:02 | More by BeerAmbassador
Wadsey

Indiana

2.63/5  rDev -16%

Summer Shandy

Served in 12 oz bottle.

A: Appears to be a hazy gold. Not much of a head in the bottle.

S: Watery lemonade with orange wedges and light wheat tang.

T: Lemonade that tastes a bit artificial. Wheat tang and graininess, the combination of which brings to mind a children's breakfast cereal similar to fruit loops.  Light bitterness.

M: Light body and medium carbonation.

O: Summer Shandy represents a stab at the Blue Moon/Shocktop market. I'm not sure how well it compares to them as I have not sampled Blue Moon in many moons and Shocktop has never touched these lips. In comparison to other summer beers, Summer Shandy pales next to pale ales Berliner Weisses. Still, it is marginally than Sunset Wheat and Berry Weiss.

07-10-2011 12:43:00 | More by Wadsey
MoreThanWine

3.58/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured a 3/4" white head. Hazy lemonade yellow colored body. Smells like lemonade. Taste is pretty much as to be expected half weiss beer and half lemonade. Although there is some lemonade sweetness I don't personally think it was even a fraction as sweet as a typical off the shelf lemonade. Plus if it had instead been predominately beer with just a little lemonade spike it would be been more like one of those BMC's with lemon or lime twist. So all in all I thought this delivered exactly what the label indicated. And yes, it's refreshing.

07-10-2011 11:55:04 | More by MoreThanWine
Superfly3176

1.95/5  rDev -37.7%

I tried this a few weeks ago when we went out to dinner. I was expecting a mild lemon malt taste. It wasn't mild at all, the lemon taste was downright overpowering.

The beer pours a nice yellow to gold color. Had a good head to it. I'm not a big fan of this type of beer, too sweet for my taste. But Widmer Brothers Citra Blonde Summer brew was by far better tasting.

07-05-2011 23:28:46 | More by Superfly3176
gatorguy

3.13/5  rDev 0%

Pours a nice bright yellow with a two finger white head that fizzes away at a fair pace and leaves some lacing. Smells strongly of lemon and not much else. Taste is of carbonated lemonade with some malts thrown in. This was a surprise to me as I was expecting more balance, not that it was a bad taste, it just threw me off. Mouthfeel was decent, again like carbonated lemonade. This was an interesting beer and was really refreshing for sure, but it's not something I would get again myself.

07-03-2011 15:13:38 | More by gatorguy
woodychandler

2.88/5  rDev -8%

I CAN tell you that I was not a huge fan of this one last year around this time, bottle give it another try. I CAN't wait to get back on The CANQuest (TM)!

Wow! I have to give it props for presentation. Two fingers of bone-white head above a cloudy banana-yellow colored beer!?! It looked like liquid lemon meringue pie! It smelled like it, too, that or Lemon Pledge. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was a sugary lemonade. I would have preferred it to tend more towards tart and/or dry, but the inherent sweetness was not to my liking. Finish was still too sweet for me to really get behind it. I am a member of Leinie's Lodge, but I am not putting this in my canoe (unless Pocahontas is coming along and she would like to drink it, in which case ...). Nah, this is just too close to kiddie alcopop for my taste.

07-02-2011 00:14:58 | More by woodychandler
jsprain1

1.73/5  rDev -44.7%

A- Pale yellow, fizzy white head lasts only for a little while.
S- A bit worried here. It smells overwhelmingly of lemon. There is very little beer aroma. Maybe just a touch of wheat characteristics. The thing about it is, I like lemonade well enough, but the artificial aroma on this one just lingers.
T- Yeah... It immediately is lemon. Lemon beginning, middle, and end. Which is cool and all, but there is not much beer to it. I mean beside the slightest bit of a grainy/wheat flavor, there is nothing but artificial lemon.
M- I guess the body is substantial enough considering a pretty significant portion of the bevarage is lemonade. Fizzy at first, but flattens out quickly.
O- I recognize that there is potential for a shandy. That said, the beer aspects are absent here, and the lemonade charactersitics taste strongly artificial. Thus, this one didn't work on almost any level for me.

06-29-2011 07:05:02 | More by jsprain1