Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)
chefhatt

I poured this beer into a perfect pint glass, it has a fizzy white head on top of a lemon yellow body. The smell is of fresh lemons. It taste nice of lemons, no hops to speak of. The mouth feel is nice and crisp. The beer overall i think is good for a nice summer beer.

05-24-2011 02:56:02 | More by chefhatt
Photo of

2.33/5  rDev -25.8%

Appearance - Yellow with a smallish white head. Vaguely hazy.

Smell - Lemonade and not much else. A little faint bread, no hops to speak of.

Taste - Tastes like someone dumped a can of Country Time lemonade into a pint of Stella. A little bit of malt and a lot of very sweet lemon flavour.

05-23-2011 01:07:12 | More by
Knapp85

2.78/5  rDev -11.5%

Summer Shandy pours out as a cloudy bright yellow color with a fluffy white head on it. The head settles and leave a little lacing around the glass in some areas. The aroma has a ton of lemon which is no surprise, there really isn't much getting past that. The taste of the beer is again a lot of lemon with just a little bit of grainy malts in the distant aftertaste. The mix of Lemonade and beer for me don't really mix too well. I'm just not a big fan on Lemons or Lemonade for that matter. I can see someone who enjoys those beverages may enjoy this a lot. I found the mouthfeel to be light and a decent choice for some people in the summer.

05-19-2011 17:01:11 | More by Knapp85
Brenden

2.85/5  rDev -9.2%

Cans just popped up next to the bottles at the local stores for around $1.

There's really very little difference from bottle to can. What I do get is a weaker head that struggles and leaves almost nothing behind. In that respect, the main difference is the appearance. It's a shandy, so it is what it is, it's simply not a well-made one given that the lemon aspect overtakes all but the slightest inkling that this is a beer. It's a lemon soda with slight beer character. Shandy's not a beer purist's dream come true, but pick up a Stiegl (sp?) if you're going to get one. Otherwise, just drink this as something like Chrystal light mixed with Sprite. As such, perhaps it is pretty tasty.

05-18-2011 01:10:59 | More by Brenden
nickthetick

Maryland

2.35/5  rDev -25.2%

A: pours a cloudy straw yellow with a huge pure white head that doesn't hang around too long and only leaves a bit of spotty lacing.

S: ok, it smells like crystal light lemonade sweetened with honey. Its a nice smell but not for a beer.

T: taste is a lot like the nose but not as much, to say I didn't get as much on the tongue as the nose would fit well.

MF: heavy carbonation and watered down.

O: not a good beer, throw a slice of lemon in it and I could easily confuse it with crystal light with some sprite mixed in.

05-18-2011 01:03:35 | More by nickthetick
MbpBugeye

1.53/5  rDev -51.3%

A little gift from above, left on my doorstep. Thoroughly chilled and poured into a Perfect Pint. Split with a friend, we didn't want to get too drunk.

Appearance
I had to stop for a hearty laugh at this beer's flaccid expense. The appearance is easily among the least beer-looking beers out there. Its really hazy, which is fine, but the color is so extremely unnatural its disturbing. The yellow is so bright it makes one think of a cheap can of CountryTime Lemonade. The white head fizzes up aggressively and loudly. Blink and you'll miss it; there's no retention. So far it has me thinking soft drink more than beer. But I think that's the goal here.

Aroma
Lemon Heads.

Taste
The lemon flavorings are very strong. They even impart a sturdy tartness, despite being very candy oriented. The beer is highly sweetened and there is only a few hidden signs of anything actually beer. There might be a little bit of a wheat base here. No hops.

Mouthfeel
Very sharp and very thin. It amazes me how beers like this, with such fervent carbonation, still manage to have no head. A sweetness builds a layer of sugars on the palate while the lemon tartness stabs at it.

Overall
A beer for people who think they won't like any beer. The trouble is, drinking this will really turn you off of beer.

05-15-2011 20:23:44 | More by MbpBugeye
JayS2629

Alabama

3.55/5  rDev +13.1%

OK, give this beer a break people. It is what it says it is. It is a summer shandy. Its a summertime beer. It is light, crisp, refreshing and slightly sweet. The smell is of lemon candy, or country time lemonade. It taste like a wheat beer with country time lemonade mixed in. Fizzy, citrus, some sour tart lemon swells with the malt background. Its a cloudy beer but it has some creamy head and lace. This would hit the spot after mowing the grass in the hot summer sun. Serve this one cold. It says it is Weiss beer with lemonade and that is exactly what it taste like. They get an A+ for nailing what they set out to do. This should be graded by its style which is a style of its own. And it is what it says it is. There are good qualities to this beer, it just isn't what most beer drinkers are used to when they think beer. Nothing complex or outstanding, but very easy to drink.

05-14-2011 00:33:58 | More by JayS2629
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

2.45/5  rDev -22%

Cloudy yellow pour, if it had lemon pulp in it, you might be thinking you gots lemonade up in here. Head disappears even though it was large, contributing to that thought.

Lemon aroma, slight yeast like aroma to it. That part was enjoyable.

Taste, is uh, weird. Lemon, but not the way I'm used to, usually its like lemon sour, or lemon citrus hop feel, but no, this is like, lemon candy almost. The beer isn't bitter, yet has lemon as its most defining characteristic. Just doesn't come across like beer, or a fruit beer even, like a hotty totty/boilermaker type of drink, something with lemon and beer in it, but not a 'lemon beer' per se. Anyways, I wouldn't recommend it to someone who likes beer.

05-11-2011 00:03:48 | More by Beerandraiderfan
SamN

Colorado

3.4/5  rDev +8.3%

A- Super hazy and fizzy. Looks like carbonated lemonade from 7-11. Pale and hazier than a Cypress Hill concert. Fine fizzy head of bout 1/4". Sticks around for longer than I thought it would. Fizzy and yellow. Makes my teeth hurt just looking at it. Could easily be mistaken for a wheat beer.

S- Lemonade, with something of a malt backbone, if one takes a more liberal approach to the definition of "backbone". Like good lemonade made in the heartland. Thicker than Country Time, let's say. Fizzy and yellow smelling.

T- Interesting. It's like Hard Mike's First Beer. Sweet with a big lemon zest, but unlike hard lemonades, the tart lemon flavors don't get lost in sugars. Instead they swell with pale malts and fade out into cloying sweetness. Even some nuances of apricots and oranges, too. Fruity and girlie for sure, but actually pretty tasty. Juvenile and lacking in quality for sure, this is not a high point in beer brewing. Also, a sort of funky lemon-rind lingering aftertaste.

A shandy is apparently a beer mixed with citrus or ginger soda or lemonades. I don't suppose this is brewed with lemons or lemonade, rather, bottled with half and half. And little less romantic than lemonade brewing, but still the end result is a surprisingly tasty concoction.

M- Very spritzy and carbonated, like fizzy soda. Very light body and thin consistency. Adjunct lager mixed with juice of some sort. Not great.

D- Damn near perfect. I could drink this on a hot day all day, with it's ultra light body and low alcohol. Great fishing beer. Could also be the one beer that the girl who" hates beer" will willingly drink. Light and breezy and cold and mindless.

05-10-2011 23:50:26 | More by SamN
yuenglings

3.5/5  rDev +11.5%

A: Has a hazey yellow straw like color nice white foamy head with good retention.
S: There is a strong lemony smell for sure mixed with a wheatlike corn smell nothing great.
T: Not as bad a i thought it would be accually not bad at all wwheat up front followed buy a strong lemonade flovor.
M:Smooth with a little tingle at the end.
Overall its a very drinkable beer would be good on a hot day but other than that not really my cup of tea.

05-10-2011 23:06:00 | More by yuenglings
Groucho75

Georgia

2.45/5  rDev -22%

Since the beer selection at the renaissance festival was limited to Coors products, and I was not in the mood for mead, I pretty much stuck with this for an afternoon.

Poured a murky brown-ish gold with some carbonation. What little head was there evaporated within a few minutes.

Aroma was slightly spicy with some citrus hints, but I"m also giving that edge to the lime wedge they gave me. Guess they were short of lemons that day...

As far as taste goes, a crisp start gives was to some malt flavor. Sugar (honey) was abundant throughout.

Mouthfeel was fine as this was the paramount reason to have a beer in the hot sun at a festival. Since the ABV was relatively mild, you could knock this back most of an afternoon and be fine.

For what it's worth, this isn't the worst beer in the world. Is it great? Heavens no. But if it's sunny, you're outside for a couple of hours and have to quench that thirst, you could do a lot worse.

05-01-2011 14:58:00 | More by Groucho75
DannyDan

3.8/5  rDev +21%

A. Pours out a yellow body with thin white head that lots of carbonation, no retention and no lacing.
S. The smell has a very strong lemon aroma with hints of pine, floral, and citrus hops.
T. The taste is pretty much lemons that are more on the tart side than the sweet side. Also in the middle and near the end I taste hints of the various hops in the beer.
M, The mouthfeel is a tingly like a soft drink feel to it thanks to its high carbonation.
O. Overall a pretty good light bodied easy drinking relaxing summertime beer.

04-30-2011 06:16:40 | More by DannyDan
NODAK

Tennessee

3.13/5  rDev -0.3%

Definitely has a lemonade smell to it, and not sweet lemons either...pretty tart stuff. I approve of that, as I prefer tart lemonade versus too sweet.

Taste of the beer is certainly dominated by the lemon, but it isn't something I'd necessarily characterize as sweet or overally tart. It's really somewhere in the middle, leaning more towards tart. There's quite a high wheat presence in the finish of the beer, as well as a little sweetness that peeks through, which I will assume is the honey. Rightly so, it plays a backseat role to the lemon and wheat.

It isn't bad...pretty refreshing, though I was hoping for a bit more of a tart drink (I'm glad it wasn't really sweet, though). I'm not sure how often I'd drink this if I had a lot of good craft available, because there are other summer seasonals which I generally enjoy more than this.

04-30-2011 02:07:35 | More by NODAK
weizenbob

2.15/5  rDev -31.5%

This 12 ounce can of Summer Shandy came from a Summer Variety 12-Pack. What a novel idea. Best by July 4, 2011. From the label: "Weiss beer brewed with honey with natural lemonade flavor." Uh, that sounds weird, but whatever. I cracked this open and poured into a weizen glass.

A moderate pour produces three fingers of foamy lemon-tinted head. Retention is moderate. The brew is maize colored and incredibly hazy but not dirty looking. The amount of haziness provides almost zero translucence. It's exceeding my expectations in appearance.

The aroma is dominated by a strange artificial lemon scent. I cut my teeth on Short's Brewing Company beers so I should be used to this kind of thing; but I'm telling you, this beer smells weird. Taking a big whiff is akin to huffing household cleaning products. In a blind scent test I doubt that I would identify it as beer.

The overall effect on the palate is that of watered down Diet Snapple Lemonade, complete with NutraSweet brand artificial sweetener. It does have a recognizable wheat finish, but at that point it's more like "who put beer in my nasty fake lemonade?" rather than the other way around. It is just all around watery and artificial. Approaching it as beer, I can't help but feel disappointment. Approaching it as some other form of liquid summer refreshment still leaves me on the fence. Why wouldn't I just drink lemonade...or beer?

This is a light bodied brew for sure. In the mouth it is tingly thanks to the high amount of carbonation and sharp lemon bite. It leaves an unpleasant acidic feeling on my teeth that I could do without. It's actually kind of refreshing, though it only vaguely resembles beer.

Overall, I can't say that I would recommend Summer Shandy to anyone. Aside from being a confusing beverage, it just isn't that good. At roughly a dollar a can it's not that great a value either. The upside is the relatively low 4.2% ABV. If equal parts water and Diet Snapple is your thing then you could drink these all day in the hot summer sun. As for me, I will be sticking with ice cold Arnold Palmers for my non-beer summer refreshment needs.

---

The Two-Schlitz Scale: (see my profile for an explanation)
I do not give a Schlitz for Summer Shandy. I do not give a Snapple for Summer Shandy. And just to be clear; I do not give a lemon scented Pine Sol for Summer Shandy.

04-29-2011 00:13:36 | More by weizenbob
IIKaRuII

3.35/5  rDev +6.7%

A- One thing i kinda get giddy for is cool caps. This one Is actually very fitting and is def a good one to add to the collection. Pours a off yellow, that ias very cloudy in appearance. Def has that weissen look going for it. poured very aggressively and got a nice two finger head that dissapeared almost as fast as i poured it. moderate to no retention in this one.

S- lemons, lemons and more lemons. slight yeastyness. slightly wheat like.

T- bready and tart. lemons only hit for a second before the beer turns toasty. lingering sweetness is kinda funky. the lemonade in this one is really not overpowering, it just makes its presence known and then hides away.

M/O- this is a medium bodied brew, that is overall sweet. Has wonderful carbonation that cleans everything away. Highly drinkable. This is a tasty and enjoyable summer drinker.

04-28-2011 04:37:53 | More by IIKaRuII
StoutHunter

3.88/5  rDev +23.6%

I got a twelve pack of Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy for around $10 at Krogers. I felt like starting out the night with something on the lighter side and it's a little warmer tonight so this beer seems like a good choice. Drink by date of July 4th, 2011. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks OK, its got a summertime vibe to it. It poured a cloudy light yellow color with two and a half fingers worth of fluffy white head that dissipated pretty fast to nothing. If you poured it into a glass with ice it would look like lemonade.

S- The aroma of this beer is dominated by citrus lemons, so much so that it smells pretty similar to lemonade. There is just a hint of grainy malts at the end that let you know this is still a beer.

T- The taste is pretty similar to the aroma. The malts are more pronounced then they were in the aroma and taste wheaty. The citrus lemons are the major player here and they have some acidic tartness to them. The flavor is pretty close to lemonade with some wheat flavors coming through towards the finish.

M- Light bodied, crisp, refreshing, and with just the right amount of carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a nice warm weather beer and my personal favorite for taking with me to play some disc golf, I often go with oberon, but this beer is lighter and more refreshing then oberon and I like that better for playing disc golf. This beer is exactly what it's name implies, a Shandy, and thats how I grade this beer, not as a typical fruit beer. This is the only commercially available Shandy I have seen, most of the time Shandy's are DYI recipes, so I like the fact that it is already mixed and the fact it comes in cans helps also. I tend to keep this in my fridge all summer for those afternoon disc golf games, they are nice and refreshing and don't get you too buzzed, it just has great drinkability. If you are looking for a lighter refreshing beer for those active summer days then this beer will work well.

04-25-2011 02:36:32 | More by StoutHunter
ELN

Washington

2.75/5  rDev -12.4%

It was 70 degrees yesterday and I sat on my front porch blastin' out old foreign punk rock. Today it's rainy so I bought this to cheer me up. :)

Serving type: bottle. the only way it comes?
appearance: always drink from the bottle.
Smell: citrus, maybe a little bread.
Taste: citrus and real beer flavor mixed. It starts off as citrusy but then turns to a beer flavor. A smooth citrus rather than zesty and pronounced one such as Mike's Lemonade.
Mouthfeel: real light and smooth.

Overall: I didn't realize this was only 4.2 percent until I got it home. I never buy below 5% just 'cause I want a real beer and not "lite" beer. I liked the other 3 beers I had by this company last summer. One was blueberry I believe and another wheat? Can't remember exactly. Summer Shandy is something you could drink all day if it was sold cheaply enough or was free. I'm not gonna but it again because at $7 it's a bit expensive for the ABV. and falling into the "joke" beer category such as being a lemonade.

04-24-2011 19:12:33 | More by ELN
chaz01

2.63/5  rDev -16.2%

Pint Draft special at Archer's Tavern where you get to keep the glass. Nice pint glass - narrow on bottom and opens up a bit at top.

A: murky bright yellow color, opaque, thick head.

S: very lemony, citrusy aroma, but not like a hop aroma -- more like lemonade or lemon candy.

T: Very lemony flavor reminds me of furniture polish and lemonade. Some wheat flavor, but mostly hidden by the sweet flavors. Cardboard aftertaste.

M: light to Med bodied, well carbonated.

D: I can only imagine enjoying this on a hot day leading up to something else. The glassware is the best part.

04-13-2011 21:53:44 | More by chaz01
TMoney2591

2.83/5  rDev -9.9%

Served in a frosted shaker pint glass at Finn McCool's.

Figured since it was a featured brew and one I haven't had at Quizzo yet, I'd take it down tonight. It pours a hazy white grapefruit topped by a half-finger of short-lived white foam. The nose comprises lemon zest, wheat, and what could theoretically be construed as coriander. All of these elements come through very meekly. The taste holds notes of lemonade, grapefruit juice, lemon peel, and slightly funky wheat. It all comes across as something akin to a crappy bottle of Squirt or something. The body is a hefty light, with a moderate carbonation and a grainy-ish feel. Overall, I can easily say that I would not go for this one particularly in the future.

04-07-2011 05:27:19 | More by TMoney2591
shand

4.05/5  rDev +29%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a wheat beer glass.

This is a super-cloudy gold color, with a massive head that just barely filled up the quite large area this glass has for head to accumulate. Lacing is alright. This smells just like a lemonade. Great smelling, I'd like a bit more of the wheat character here though, as it comes through on the taste. The taste is a nice balance between the lemonade flavors and a sweet wheat flavor. Nothing amazing, but perfectly thirst quenching on the 90 degree Florida days we're already having here.

The mouthfeel is great, it's just perfectly carbonated and has the right thickness to be refreshing. The drinkabilitiy, of course, is phenomenal. May as well be drinking lemonades. I know a lot of elitists will hate on this, but I enjoy this brew. It's just a refreshing beer that is great in the Florida sun.

04-05-2011 05:27:57 | More by shand
Mebuzzard

Colorado

2.7/5  rDev -14%

Thought I'd try this since it was free. Went to the Coors pre-game party for the Rockies home-opener. I'm shy to pay for any Leiny's after my horrible run-in with Sunset Wheat...

Pours cloudy yellow, hollow foamy head. Not all that big. Actually looks like urine.

Aroma is 99% lemon, without the pucker. The last 1% is stale malt.

Taste is lemonade without the acidic puckering. It's a good thing this one has a ton of lemony-ness because the malt is ugly. It's like burnt cardboard. The lemon covers this up.
Thin feel, some carbonation separates it from unsweetened lemonade. Glad it was free

04-02-2011 01:29:25 | More by Mebuzzard
CMW

Missouri

A - Pours a cloudy, bright yellow color with a small white head that fades quickly.

S - Honestly, this smells like lemonade.

T - Tastes like on of those malted beverages. Jack Daniels Country Lemonade comes to mind. Hard to figure this as a beer.

M - Light and crisp due to the high carbonation.

O - I could see how this could appeal to some. It would be good for drinkers looking to move from standard macros. I wouldn't be opposed to having one or two on a hot summer day.

03-26-2011 23:31:08 | More by CMW
chadj19

Wisconsin

4.68/5  rDev +49%

Excellent summer Beer. Hint of Lemonade and Orange flavor with hoppy aftertones. Not a beer for the winter. But the hot 90° summer days, there is not much better!It is very easy to drink. The color is a nice cloudy yellow with a 1" white foam head. Out of the Leinies summer brews this is right behind the Sunset Wheat for me.

03-26-2011 21:59:23 | More by chadj19
KajII

2.85/5  rDev -9.2%

[Best served in a Weizen glass]

The pour was a cloudy light amber with a very small white foamy head that diminished in a matter of seconds and had poor runny lacing.

The Aroma was light grain malt, a very mild grassy hop and a soapy yeast with a note of citrus (lemon).

The taste was kind of light and a little malty with a decent yeast presence throughout with the finish having a mild citrus taste towards the end. The flavor lasted an average time after the swallow with a yeasty lemon taste left behind.

Mouthfeel was light in body and a tad watery in texture with a somewhat lively carbonation.

Overall this was a brew with a refreshing citrus wheat flavor and an easy drinkability. It would make a good summertime brew for those who prefer a lighter beer…

03-10-2011 18:09:25 | More by KajII
sweett3k

2.95/5  rDev -6.1%

Lemonade beer? Good idea I guess. I would rather drink an Arnold Palmer with a shot of Grey Goose. Beer is pale light yellow. Of course smells like lemon and dirty dish water tones. Kind of looks like dirty dish water. They had this on a keg last year at a golf outing. I could only drink one. Too sweet, zesty and fizzy for a hot day. Upsets the stomach a little. Taste, sounds, drinks and feels like a soda pop. Sorry Leines this is your worst beer.

03-08-2011 01:49:19 | More by sweett3k