Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)
View: Beers (35) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
RickS95

Indiana

4.53/5  rDev +44.3%

I bought this beer by mistake, and I'm very glad I did. I've had shandies from overseas before, but this was the first I've had that used lemonade instead of ginger ale or Sprite.

On a hot summer day, you can't beat this drink. It is extremely refreshing, not a heavy beer at all. This is what you'll want to grab after cutting the grass or playing 18 holes of golf.

There is a strong flavor of lemon in the nose. Mouthfeel is very crisp, but not even slightly bitter. In the finish, there is a strong punch of lemon, but not so overpowering that you forget you're having a beer.

This beer will remain in my fridge until they stop making it.

08-07-2008 17:11:33 | More by RickS95
drouss48

New Hampshire

3.33/5  rDev +6.1%

The first time I tried this beer was when a friend of mine shared one out of a Leines' sampler. I was very impressed, and couldn't wait to get my hands on a 6 pack of my own. However accomplishing these was easier said than done, as I couldn't find this beer anywhere here in New Hampshire. Recently though I have seen is popping up in several stores, so I picked myself up a 6 pack for around $8.

Unfortunatley, I was not as impressed with the beer as I worked my way through the sixer. The beer pours an odd yellow, maybe a little too yellow. The smell is pleasing to the nose, but it smells more of lemons than it does of beer. The mouthfeel is nice, as you taste the sweetness of the lemon, but also the slight bitterness of the wheat. It's the aftertaste that threw me, as the more I drank the stronger the sweet aftertaste lasted. In the end I think this is a good beer to have every once in a while on a hot day. But it is not a great drinking session beer.

08-06-2008 11:43:35 | More by drouss48
JonB1958

3.4/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer is strangely a little better than the sum of its parts.

Poured into a wet pilsner glass using the "Hacker Pschorr" pour video from that website. A cloudy, pale straw color with a nice thick head that stuck around much longer than I expected.

The aroma is a little overpowering; sort of like a lemon-scented cleaner mixed with beer.

The taste is thin for a wheat, and a little overpowered by the lemon.

But surprisingly, both my neighbors and I agreed it was very drinkable, in the end. Suffice it to say that this is not the highest testament to the art of brewing one will find in stores this summer. But it's an interesting attempt, and a quite acceptable offering for a hot night out on the dec.

08-02-2008 02:28:26 | More by JonB1958
jwc215

Wisconsin

2.3/5  rDev -26.8%

Pours lemon-drop yellow with a thin white head that vanishes.

Smells like lemon merangue pie with a powered "artificial" lemonade mix. Interesting - where's the beer?

The taste is of powered lemonade - ala from a mix- slight lemon merangue. Sweet. I guess this is what they were going for...Again - any "beer" flavor is hardly detectable - some maltiness at most. Hardly, though.

Light-bodied, weak, a bit watery, with a lemonade dryness.

The concept is fine - but, this is hardly a "shandy". Regardless, this will be suited to the people who like lemonade from a powder mix with just a tad of undetectable alcohol. Too sweet, in an "artificial" way, for me, though lemonade dryness almost makes up for it - almost.

08-01-2008 16:02:54 | More by jwc215
coldmeat23

Oklahoma

3.83/5  rDev +22%

GLASS: Saint Arnold Brewery Tasting Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees
(SUMMER BEER TASTING w/ a few friends)

It's a beautiful hazy golden yellow in the glass. Reminds me of a hot summer day, visually. Not 100+ degree 'heatstroke' kind of hot, but upper-80's to mid-90's. Where you're just starting to see 'heat-lines' in the air, if you look down the street.
Creamy one-finger head dissipates fairly quickly. Decent lacing. Minimal retention.

The smell is like effervescing lemons. If you had a pool filled with fresh lemons and they began giving off a wonderful bubbly gaseous mist, I think it would smell like this.
For all intents and purposes this looks and smells like a glass of strong homemade lemonade.

Taste is where it drops a little bit, for me. Granted, it is pretty much exactly what it claims to be. A well-done (American) Pale Wheat with lemonade blended in. The lemon seems to be a bit too dominant, though. While I do detect a tiny hint of yeastiness in there, the beer flavor is all but buried.

It feels a bit wrong to me, also. It's thin, which I would normally like, in this style. The problem is that there seems to be to many bubbles (overcarbonation). Makes for an odd mouthfeel.

After what I've just said about it, I'm surprised to say that I still find this to be a good, easy-drinking, refreshing summer brew. On a nice hot day, this would definitely do the trick.

07-30-2008 17:35:22 | More by coldmeat23
smerkinb

2.58/5  rDev -17.8%

12oz bottle poured into a weizen glass. Pours very pale straw, slightly cloudy with a 1 1/2 inch head the mostly disappeared. Some loose lacing that fell back into the beer.

Smells of grass, lemon, and some light spice.

This beer is dominated by the lemon. There were some softer malt/yeasty flavors and a hint of citrus other than lemon.

This beer was a bit thin, almost spritzy feel with medium carbonation.

Overall, this was a bit much. The label says "Weiss beer with lemon" so I was looking forward to something refreshing. Well the lemon was there, but I never did find the weiss beer part. It was light and ctirusy cool, but left me feeling more like I was holding a clear "malt" beverage than a beer. Too much lemon and way to sweet to even think about drinking more than one without getting a stomachache. Interesting, but more lemonade than beer. I won't be getting this one again.

07-30-2008 12:57:28 | More by smerkinb
PLANETBUSTERRAVE

1.9/5  rDev -39.5%

LEMONADE WEEE! BEER WEEE! I am excited, uhh until I tasted it.

This I will admit is my first shandy, which I must say was very disappointing, the pour was what got me excited, it flowed from the bottle a hazy pale yellow that formed a thick white head, the retention time was surprisingly fast, although it did fizzle down to a good lacing that stuck to the sides of the glass. The hint of carbonation made it look playful and inviting insinuating a true summertime feel. The sweet scents of lemons filled my nostrils when I sniffed the glass, a hint of wheat peeked in, which should have been my first inkling as to what laid ahead.

I was anticipating the first sip the thought of lemonade and beer made me happy, until I got it in my mouth. The excitement disappeared as fast as the head did, it was blam nothing, sure there were lemons, not sweet lemons, not flavorful lemons, not even sour lemons, just lemons plain lemons, flat lemons, its like the lemons decide to party crash and left the wheat out on the porch staring in the window longing for attention.

As were my expectations now, the first gulp felt thick and creamy. It looked like it was going to save the day for me, but it only stayed that way for a little bit. It decides to turn watery making me cry inside. In the end, this beer, felt like a good story gone wrong. It made me want it until I had it, the only way I can truly describe it is if Mary Shelly decide to brew beer waited for it and at that moment she tasted it she had an epiphany and came up with the story of Frankenstein, but, not the story we know and love today, no the first draft, the draft of a story that when finished looks awesome and feels awesome, but when you come back later and re-read it you realize how much it could have been better so you edit and re-edit it until you get a great story, that is what this needs it needs an edit, an edit to finish what should be a great story.

07-29-2008 15:07:57 | More by PLANETBUSTERRAVE
davidaubrey

4.7/5  rDev +49.7%

I poured this beer into a Hoegaarden Pint glass. There was little lacing, which immediately dissipated.

Flavor is mild and sweet. The flavor of a weiss beer immediately floods the palate. The lemon flavor is strong and sour. High marks for refreshment.

The aftertaste is all lemonade.

I just moved back to Illinois from California this summer. As such, I had know of the Leinenkugel beers, but had not tried any of them.

I was immediately thrilled to see that they a beer shandy. My college internship was in Windhoek, Namibia. There I spent many summer nights with my teammates enjoying Zebra, Sprinbok, & beer shandies.

Kudos to Leinies for bringing an unique beer flavor to the market. I enjoyed it with a little nostolgia & while listening to Paul Simon's "Graceland" album.

07-26-2008 04:35:02 | More by davidaubrey
BryanCarey

3.45/5  rDev +9.9%

Leinenkugel Summer Shandy is a fruity beer that pours to a cloudy yellow/gold color with a head of foam that is thin and is comprised of very small, tightly packed bubbles, giving the beer a creamy mouth feel. This beer has a nose that is lemony with the scent of cereal grains in the background.

This beer offers exactly the taste one would expect based on the aroma, with flavors of lemon and more lemon and the faint taste of wheat in the background. This beer is mostly sweet, but it also has some sour notes and the slight taste of honey blended with the citrus. There is little or no discernable hop character to this product.

Leinenkugel Summer Shandy tastes quite a bit like lemonade- a quality that would normally convince me to lower my rating. But there are some qualities that make Leinenkugel Summer Shandy different from many other fruit beers and make it more enjoyable. First, the fruit is not syrupy or excessively sweet. The taste of lemon is obvious, but this beer doesn't taste like Kool- Aid or any other sugary drink. Second, it still has characteristics of beer, even though the lemon taste dominates. It's a pretty good tasting beer and it does make a good choice for a hot summer day.

07-26-2008 04:16:11 | More by BryanCarey
LunaChick

2.5/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Never having tried this style before I don't want to be harsh. However having friends familliar with the style from living in Germany I don't feel so bad giving this review.
Aroma is "countrytime" lemonade mix. Not the drink, the powder. Very acidic . Pours an odd shade of milky yellow with a billowing cream head that lasts throughout leaving quite a bit of lacing. I cannot taste any beer in this. Its all lemonade. Very acidic and harsh. Quite a bit of carbonation in conjunction with the lemonade makes it more like a soda. I can see where they were going with this but just went overboard on the lemonade. If it was a more natural lemon flavor it would probably be pretty good. but this tastes very artificial.

07-26-2008 01:57:12 | More by LunaChick
klintok21

4.93/5  rDev +57%

Great summer beer but only in small quantities. As described it is very lemony. You get a lot more lemon than beer, but still a great combination for the summer! The wheat off sets it enough to let the title of beer remain. Hey, if you like lemonade and beer give this a try. I also recommend pouring this in a glass and adding a real lemon wedge and circling the rim of the glass then putting it right in the beer.

07-24-2008 06:25:46 | More by klintok21
xare

2.95/5  rDev -6.1%

Appearance is akin to white tea with huge fluffy white head that retains very well. Found out the hard way while pouring one out into another container for a round of disc golf outside in the summer sun. Definitely made me unhappy that I lost some beer.

Smell is very lemony and you can't really discern much else except a touch of wheat. Whatever, it's supposed to be a lemonade + wheat ale brew blend. Smells like it's described.

What a letdown. I was hoping for something brilliant for the flavor profile but what I got instead was something strange like a Mike's Hard Lemonade blended with just a touch of some wheat ale to create a slightly funky blend of flavor. Wish it could have been pulled off, I love beer and lemonade. Arnold Palmer was able to pull it off with tea. Will it happen with beer?

Mouthfeel wasn't 100% clean/crisp. A bit swirly and sometimes more head than beer. But most painful is that it has the same sensation that drinking a Mike's Hard produces.

Oddly enough, it's actually very drinkable and once I finished mine I was actually thinking about grabbing another just to follow it up with. I'd probably buy a sixer every summer just for the odd taste combination until someone managed to do a better lemonade-beer combination.

07-24-2008 03:45:27 | More by xare
skiboy

1.88/5  rDev -40.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Well, it come in a 12 oz brown longneck so I guess it's beer, but you could toss this one back like it was -- umm -- lemonade. I would have drunk this when I was a teen who liked the idea of drinking beer but not the beer taste. Did I mention it's really lemony -- like if you drank one immediately after reading this, you'd think "Wow, that was more lemony than I had expected". Lemony is a nice word -- try working it into a sentence today.

07-22-2008 17:37:51 | More by skiboy
Freshie

2.23/5  rDev -29%

I was ignorant to the term shandy before picking this one up. An English friend of mine made me hip to it.

Pours a pale yellow and cloudy color with little head.

Smell is citric and not very beer like.

The lemonade flavoring is too strong and overpowers almost every aspect of actual beer. Which makes this taste more like a bad lemonade than a wheat beer.

Not sure where they are going with this one. I wanted a beer not a mike's ripoff.

07-18-2008 15:03:40 | More by Freshie
midaszero

Washington

3.05/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

A - Very cloudy pale yellow with 2 finger of white head and little lacing

S - LEMON ... reminiscent of lemonade

T - More lemon a little bitter

M - Light body with light to medium carbonation

D - not to bad not awesome

07-16-2008 03:11:33 | More by midaszero
nem2006

3.15/5  rDev +0.3%

It is a hazy yellow gold. The head is a sticky white head that stays around for a long time with great lacing on the side of the glass.

The smell is citrus from the wheat beer and then has a strong lemonade scent. The two go well together.

The taste starts with a tartness of summertime lemonade and finishes with the full-flavored body of the wheat beer.

The lemonade and citrus go well together, but the lemonade was a little strong and distracted from the flavor of the wheat beer. A little overpowering.

07-15-2008 02:44:59 | More by nem2006
daythree16

Tennessee

2.95/5  rDev -6.1%

Pours a very cloudy yellow into my pint glass. Has a 1.5 finger head with white soda-like bubbles. Leaves a small amount of lace on the glass.

The smell is obviously lemon at first, but after a few sniffs, an astringent quality comes through, and it starts to smell more like a lemon scented cleanser. The taste is...not terrible, but certainly not great. It's almost like Budweiser with powered lemonade mix stirred in.

The mouthfeel is very acidic and carbonated from the moment it touches your tongue.

My review makes it sound worse than it probably is. Served ice cold on a hot day, it would probably hit the spot. Any other time, and I don't think I would have more than one.

07-13-2008 04:47:41 | More by daythree16
LumpyGuitar

3.15/5  rDev +0.3%

Had some of this at a barbecue over the weekend.

Poured a light yellow, with thin head.

Smells like lemonade and a bit of beer.

Tastes like a mix between a hefe and lemonade. Lemonade comes across bold but not strong, and mixes well with the wheat.

Mouthfeel is good. Not overly carbonated, which is nice, and goes down well.

This isn't my style but if offered I'd drink it again. Perfect for someone who wants to have a real beer instead of "Random Persons Hard Lemonade Malt Beverage".

07-05-2008 22:49:41 | More by LumpyGuitar
splat215

3.93/5  rDev +25.2%

A - Cloudy, yellow color - looking like most good wietbier's I've had. Looks a tiny bit off like you can see the lemonade in it
S - Strong citrusy, lemons and limes, smells good
T - . Typical wheat-flavors, with good NATURAL tasting lemon flavor. I was worried about this being too sweet but it isn't.
M - Medium bodied, a little on the thin side, light carbonation.
D - In short - I like this. Much better then Leinenekuger's ill fated Berry weiser, this one still tastes like beer. The lemonade/lemon flavor introduced is natural and not sickly sweet. I see people comparing this to Mike's Hard Lemonade, but I think that's a complete stretch. This is just a decent wietbier with some lemon flavors added to it which complements it well.

07-03-2008 21:39:26 | More by splat215
Durge

Connecticut

3.53/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Huge white fluffy head in a frosted mug with a fair lacing over a murky golden tan colored brew. The lemon is easily detected in the aroma to the extent that it's pretty hard to pick up much else, almost lemon-lime. If your not use to this mixture, it's a bit of a surprise, but you can adjust to it if you're open minded. Tastes sort of like a mellow lemon cake with modest sweetness. It's very easy drinking and refreshing and I would say it grows on you depending on your expectations. I probably could enjoy these if I just think more lemonade than beer, not often such a desirable option but, I can handle it once in a great while.

07-01-2008 04:27:04 | More by Durge
iceball585

3.65/5  rDev +16.2%

A- Pale yellow color, cloudy, thin white head that faded quickly to a thin ring

S- Lemon lime soda, sugary, pale malts, very sweet

T- Lemonade, syrup, tart, citrusy, light malts, wheat

M- Light body, medium/heavy carbonation, fizzy, smooth, refreshing

D- Decent for summertime

I can only picture drinking this on a very hot summer day. Not typically my favorite style of beer but I still like it.

06-30-2008 22:10:17 | More by iceball585
BeerCon5

3.65/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours a murky, light yellow color with very thin fluffy head that dissipates quickly.

It has a very strong lemon hopp scent.

Also a strong lemony taste, tastes more like lemonade than beer. Slightly bitter finish, pretty refreshing.

Very light-bodied, crisp mouthfeel with fizzy carbonation.

Very drinkable beer. This is a very refreshing beer and very light, so it would be easy to drink quite a few.

06-26-2008 20:52:12 | More by BeerCon5
Chugmonkey

Wisconsin

3.2/5  rDev +1.9%

I've had this in bottles and on tap. I was first repulsed by it. But it has really grown on me. After walking 18 on a hot day it is pretty GD refreshing to whack down a few pints.

First of all it does taste more like lemonade than beer. You have to be really thirsty and be outside on a hot day to enjoy this hybrid beverage, otherwise it will seem too sweet. If are in mood for a solid malty beer, this will taste like lemonade and not satisfy you one iota & don't even bother.

It's not nasty sweet, fruity, or syrupy by any means. It's actually refreshing like lemonade. If you are thirsty you can knock down a few no problem w/o getting any nasty sugary wine cooler type filling issues. After 2 or 3 though you will be like "Okay I need a beer now that I've rehydrated myself."

But again it will just tick you off if you think it will taste anything like a malty/bitter beer. It is what it is and that is a refreshing lemonade type beverage.

06-25-2008 21:45:55 | More by Chugmonkey
HopDerek

3.35/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a hazy light yellow with 1 and a half fingers of foamy white head that has average retention and some good lacing. Smells of lemonade, wheat, and lemon candy. Tastes of sweet lemonade at first with some wheaty bread coming in behind the lemon sweetness. Finishes with a little extra punch of lemon zest. Light in body with medium carbonation, really sweet and lemon filled. Refreshing and extremely easy to drink, good on those hot summer days, but a little too much like lemonade not enough like beer for me to want to session. Wouldn't mind having one after mowing the grass though.

06-25-2008 21:41:03 | More by HopDerek
Dodo2step

2.8/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

from notes:

A- a lemon yellow and opaque look to it. Very carbonated and it looks too carbonated. It fizzes the whole time.

S- lemonade aroma and lemons. nothing too much to report. Wheaty and lemony smell

T- a mikes hard lemonade that actually has a a little flavor. Too much carbonation though. It is like drinking lemonade with beer thrown into it.

M- fizzy and bursting of bubbly. Too much so.

D- i put it down but i wouldnt have another. It is an interesting idea but i was happy with the beer. I like their honey weiss though.

06-25-2008 18:31:36 | More by Dodo2step