Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)
ONUMello

3.03/5  rDev -3.5%

12oz can poured into a pint glass.
A: Cloudy lemonade yellow. Short head that dissipates quickly.
S: Smells like dried lemonade mix.
T: Tastes more like lemonade than beer. I haven't had a Mike's in a while but would be curious to drink one side by side with this. A bit of caramel malt on the finish.
M: Nice, light, crispy.
O: Overall it's better than the sum of its parts. Not a complex or traditional beer, but a tasty summer drink.

06-20-2011 12:29:24 | More by ONUMello
bubseymour

Maryland

3.55/5  rDev +13.1%

I had this on tap in a plastic cup while in Ocean City sitting on the deck bar on a hot summer evening(Macky's bayside).

It was a great thrist quencher summer brew. Very strong lemon/lime flavors prevail. Not exactly a beer drinkers beer but for a good swill beer in the heat, it tasted much better that a Corona with lime in it. My report for this beer isn't under my usual quality controlled enviroment (lazy boy chair in living room with Sam Adams pint glass pour)so this report is more for my database than to be trusted as reliable by others.

06-19-2011 22:51:53 | More by bubseymour
beertunes

Washington

3.5/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured into 10oz glass. Poured very lively, over 2 inches of fluffy white head that had moderate retention and no lacing. The beer was the cloudy yellow of a Hefe.

There was a solidly noticeable lemon scent at the front of the nose, with some earthy wheat coming in underneath. The lemon didn't come across as boldly on the tongue, it was still solidly present, but blended and balanced sicely with the base wheat beer.

The body was fairly typical for an American Wheat Ale, medium and clean. Drinkability was very good, I could easily see having a sixer of these while hanging out by the Nooksack River during the summer. Overall, a nice little beer. Worth your time.

06-19-2011 19:54:18 | More by beertunes
thegodfather1076

3.13/5  rDev -0.3%

This beer was served out of a 12oz. bottle dispensed into a glass....

Presentation - Nice festive colorful label.

Appearance - Pours a murky yellow color with a thick 1 finger white foam head that dissipates quickly into a thin foam ring.

Smell - Smells of lemon and citrus notes. Very little actual beer smell.

Taste - Tastes of lemonade and light malts. Not enough beer flavor for me at all.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied and a little fizzy.

Drinkability - This beer has an ok flavor and would probably be very drinkable on a hot summer day.

This was mediocre in my opinion. It did not taste enough like beer for me. I would rather have a cold beer with a slice of lemon, lime, or orange.

06-17-2011 07:12:51 | More by thegodfather1076
RoamingGnome

Wisconsin

3.05/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured out of a 12oz can into a pint glass.

A) It's a rather pleasing cloudy yellow, topped off with a nice inch of white head. The head is gone quickly, no lacing.

S) I've had this summer brew a number of times, and never really considered the smell. I guess that's because it gets consumed quickly right from the can or bottle. Having said all of that, I'm glad I never took a deep whiff, because it immediately reminded me of Lemon Pledge. I don't think beer should smell like something you dust with.

T) Normally smell would be a good indicator, but not in this case. I find the taste to be pretty good. It seems to be light malt and lemon, with an okay finish.

M) It's light, crisp, and highly refreshing.

O) This is a decent brew served ice cold on a summer day. I like it while golfing, right from the can. It gives me the beer confidence I need to sink 6 ft putts, while the 4.2% ABV doesn't turn me into more of a duffer then I already am.

06-13-2011 10:15:28 | More by RoamingGnome
JohnFatAss

2.8/5  rDev -10.8%

A friend recommended this to me who is a serious beer drinker and really knows his stuff.

It is a cloudy yellow color, more lemonade than beer. Goes down easy.. As a thirst quencher, this really hits the spot on a hot summer day.

As a beer, it is just average. I am not sure you can even call it a beer.

Over all, it is a pretty good summer drink. Makes for a pretty good social lubricant as well.

It is hell of a lot better than Bud Light Lime.

06-12-2011 03:09:17 | More by JohnFatAss
chocosushi

Oklahoma

3.18/5  rDev +1.3%

12oz - > bridgeport pint

A ~ Pours a gritty head that's gone in 60.
Looks like mix between fresca, crystal light, and lemonade. Wierd translucence

S ~ Candied lemons & lemonade...powdered sugar

T ~ Candied lemon peel, the faintest of grains, soda crackers, and artificially flavored lemonade. No weissbeer here, but still pretty refreshing.

M ~ Spritzy and light

D ~ I admit I like this. It's great for the summer. I don't buy it all the time but it's nice and unthreatening plus it it is one of the only shandys on the market

06-09-2011 21:38:54 | More by chocosushi
ZeroSignal

3.2/5  rDev +1.9%

12 oz bottle with freshness date poured into a SA Perfect Pint

A - Pours a cloudy, pale yellow with an aggressive, bright white head. It really looks quite nice.

S - There is a clear, standard lemonade smell in the nose with subtle hints of grain; pretty much my expectation for what a shandy (one that uses lemonade anyway) should smell like.

T&M - I feel like anyone who has traveled and is familiar with biermischgetränke (basically mixed beer drinks) would be pleased with the way this tastes, for the most part. It's rather light and refreshing, and certainly easy to drink. The lemonade flavor shines through, probably a little too much really. I wish that the base beer was of a higher quality with some flavors that stand up to the lemonade better. It's also a little too lightly carbonated for my tastes, as I typically prefer a shandy made with a carbonated lemonade. Beer wise I pick up the light malty, grainy flavor, but there's really not much there.

O - I think one needs familiarity with mixed beer drinks to appreciate a shandy properly. I'm admittedly not thinking in standard beer geek terms while enjoying this drink. That's the bottom line really...I enjoyed it for what it is. Is it a fantastic shandy? No, it's not, but for a highly commercialized version it's not half bad, seeing how most places will make these to order. If you've never had one, I don't think this should be your introduction. If you have, I think one would be "okay" with what is being offered here.

06-07-2011 02:31:33 | More by ZeroSignal
jmeyers78

2.58/5  rDev -17.8%

A-pale hazy yellow and almost no head

S-Faint lemons not much else

T-It tastes like a shandy should...lemonade and beer but the flavors aren't very good. The lemon flavor over rides the beer flavor completely.

M-Very carbonated and watery. Very similar to the typical BMC.

O-Not impressed. I can see how a lot of folks would go for this in the summer but for me this beer seems to miss the mark

06-06-2011 09:52:07 | More by jmeyers78
mooselvlt

Wisconsin

2.88/5  rDev -8.3%

Pint on tap

A - Cloudy, straw color. Finger of white foam, Decent retention. Carbonated

S - Smells of light lemons. Thats really about all I pick up.

T - Meh...follows the nose. Some lemon peel, very light malts. Lemon lingers on the tongue after the finish. Just not much there for me.

M - Very light bodied, highly carbonated. Watery thin.

O - The appearance surprised me. Wasn't expecting the cloudiness. Just not a fan. I'm not a fruit beer guy to being with and this one just confirms yet again why.

06-06-2011 01:11:48 | More by mooselvlt
rdilauro

Connecticut

2.75/5  rDev -12.4%

Light dry fun and REFRESHING!!!
After opening the bottle it had a nice hint of lemon. First taste, there was a little more lemon... After the second taste, it was full of fun and yesting lemon.
A real summer delight.
This was something that you could drink bottle after bottle and enjoy each one more and more

06-05-2011 00:58:04 | More by rdilauro
Stunner97

3.43/5  rDev +9.2%

Appearance- yellow and cloudy and murky off the pour, very yellow in color almost like a lemonade

Smell- Very lemony nose for sure, it smells like lemonade really does and a little touch of wheat and beer,

Taste- tastes very unique in style where its almost truly a mix of lemonade and beer, it has good amount of lemon flavor up front and that becomes touch of hop and wheat in the back, its a little bit sweet in flavor but not overally cloying, keeps just enough balance

Mouthfeel- medium to light bodied with crisp carbonation good smooth beer

Drinkablity/ overall- overall this beer is decent and is pretty drinkable, i would call it almost some what of a novelty beer, its really a cross of being like a beer and fruit juice and being a less sweet manlier version of like a mikes lemonade, its not a bad beer certainly for a hot summer day or would do quite well out of a can at the beach but probably not something i would buy often just to chug sitting around the house, also a good beer to bring to people who don't really drink beer

06-03-2011 23:13:56 | More by Stunner97
Tripphop

3.7/5  rDev +17.8%

Hazy yellow color, glows in the glass. Pithy white foam rises and crumples back to a thin cap of bubbles. The aromas are of lemon rind and cotton balls. Taste is very nice, Like malted lemonade. Light clean biscuit malt with a tangy lemony finish. Nicely dry and light-medium body, very clean and easy mouthfeel, quaffable. Good summer pounder, its a very feminine beer but damn, don't I enjoy it on a hot day.

05-31-2011 15:15:22 | More by Tripphop
ChugginOil

3.4/5  rDev +8.3%

This one pours a whitish yellow color and settle a lightly hazed straw color that resembles lemon juice. A fast dissipating inch of white head is observed. The nose is very lemony and citrus infused. Lemon & lime peel zest create the bouquet. Although quite tasty and citrusy up front, the after taste just reminds me of a watered down lemon/lime soft drink. Nothing too bold. The mouthfeel is crisp and light bodied, this is the highlight of this brew and certainly makes up for what lacks in the taste, considering how hot it is outside. Great for a hot day like today!

05-31-2011 05:48:01 | More by ChugginOil
bnes09

3.3/5  rDev +5.1%

Hazy lemon yellow brew. Pours about a finger of white foam which is gone pretty quickly. Weak lace which quickly returns to liquid.

Bright citrus and wheat aroma.

Solid wheat backbone, bread-like and smooth. Then the lemon comes in and dominates the rest of the drink. I can't really detect any hops over the lemon flavor. Not terrible just too much.

Light to medium body. Lively bubbles. Smooth mid-drink and crisp from the lemon. Easy drinking.

This stuff is ok. Too much emphasis on the lemon. Would make a good summer session beer though.

05-28-2011 18:29:51 | More by bnes09
BigDRS

3.3/5  rDev +5.1%

On tap at Roosters in Columbus, Ohio.

Served in a tall pint glass. Beer had basically 0 head when it got to me. Looks more like a glass of lemonade than a glass of beer.

Smells kind of like a lemonhead candy with a bit of wheat in the background. Nose is pretty impressive but ...

The taste is disappointing. The lemon notes that come across in the nose don't make it through. Beer is a bit too bland and grainy for me.

Mouthfeel is quite light. Carbonation levels are a bit low and the beer comes across as a bit watery.

Overall, I'd buy this for a hot afternoon out grilling or on the boat. Otherwise, I'll drink something else.

05-28-2011 03:10:01 | More by BigDRS
aasher

Indiana

3.15/5  rDev +0.3%

I received this bottle from a Leinenkugel rep, so why not review it? It pours a very, very cloudy gold in color with a soapy looking bright white head. It kind of looks like a quality Berliner weiss. The aromas consist of Country Time lemonade mix with a light pale malt finish. It smells artificial but it is appealing on the nose. The flavors too are of premixed lemonade with a light and dry malt finish. There isn't any complexity but it is what it is. It's insanely light and easy to drink. This is a great summertime option if you're wanting something non-BMC and with some flavor. Like most of their "flavored" beers the flavors presented seem artificial so that stops me from giving them too much credit for this tasty brew. It's a fine shandy.

05-27-2011 02:36:50 | More by aasher
alleykatking

Indiana

2.58/5  rDev -17.8%

Had on tap...

A- Poured a light hazed golden yellow color. I mean this color looked more like the crayloa crayon color unmellow yellow. One and a half finger white head shows light retention leaving light streaks on the side of the glass that fall back into the beer.

S- Lemon. This has a Country Time mix like aroma to it. This smells sugary sweet and there is not anything else that really comes through on the rest of the nose. Maybe a hint of grain but to be honest I gave up after about 5 minutes of trying to pick anything else out.

T- Artifical lemon comes out first and foremost with a sugary sweetness to it. This kind of tones down a slight bit showcasing a lemon zest kind of flavor toward the middle. Also in the middle there is a hint of wet grain which is the first flavor I can pick up on that wasn't lemon. Ending of the beer shows some more grain like flavor with a hint of wheat like flavor before being blasted into lemon land once again. It takes of lemon more than anything else.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation was high I thought for the beer but then again I have only had one other Shandy style beer to base this off of. Lemon, lemon, and more lemon is left on the palate and long into the aftertaste. Flavors were underbalanced with the lemon being a one sided flavor in this beer. No off flavors were present although the sweetness of the beer was in itself a little bit of a offness. Light alcohol drying on the palate with each sip but not really anything you'll notice.

O- This beer is not anything I look for when I go to the store or walk into a bar. It has a long underlying sweetness to it that I find a little too much for me. Not really sure I would drink this one again myself but if it were to be offered to me I don't think I could have more than one. More of a "girlie" type beer but seems to be loved by the masses stateside.

05-27-2011 00:58:33 | More by alleykatking
yesyouam

1.65/5  rDev -47.5%

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy is a cloudy, bright yellow brew with a thin, white head that fades to a blotch. It has an aroma of lemonade and beer breath. Lemon zest is detected. It's very light bodied, lively and gritty. It leaves the mouth feeling like it's covered in sand. It has a stale, generic beer flavor with a dose of lemon zest. There's a little sweetness, bitterness and sourness. This isn't pleasant. I drank one of these after mowing the lawn and it did not quench my thirst. This displeases me.

05-25-2011 17:44:39 | More by yesyouam
chefhatt

I poured this beer into a perfect pint glass, it has a fizzy white head on top of a lemon yellow body. The smell is of fresh lemons. It taste nice of lemons, no hops to speak of. The mouth feel is nice and crisp. The beer overall i think is good for a nice summer beer.

05-24-2011 02:56:02 | More by chefhatt
Photo of

2.33/5  rDev -25.8%

Appearance - Yellow with a smallish white head. Vaguely hazy.

Smell - Lemonade and not much else. A little faint bread, no hops to speak of.

Taste - Tastes like someone dumped a can of Country Time lemonade into a pint of Stella. A little bit of malt and a lot of very sweet lemon flavour.

05-23-2011 01:07:12 | More by
Knapp85

2.78/5  rDev -11.5%

Summer Shandy pours out as a cloudy bright yellow color with a fluffy white head on it. The head settles and leave a little lacing around the glass in some areas. The aroma has a ton of lemon which is no surprise, there really isn't much getting past that. The taste of the beer is again a lot of lemon with just a little bit of grainy malts in the distant aftertaste. The mix of Lemonade and beer for me don't really mix too well. I'm just not a big fan on Lemons or Lemonade for that matter. I can see someone who enjoys those beverages may enjoy this a lot. I found the mouthfeel to be light and a decent choice for some people in the summer.

05-19-2011 17:01:11 | More by Knapp85
Brenden

2.85/5  rDev -9.2%

Cans just popped up next to the bottles at the local stores for around $1.

There's really very little difference from bottle to can. What I do get is a weaker head that struggles and leaves almost nothing behind. In that respect, the main difference is the appearance. It's a shandy, so it is what it is, it's simply not a well-made one given that the lemon aspect overtakes all but the slightest inkling that this is a beer. It's a lemon soda with slight beer character. Shandy's not a beer purist's dream come true, but pick up a Stiegl (sp?) if you're going to get one. Otherwise, just drink this as something like Chrystal light mixed with Sprite. As such, perhaps it is pretty tasty.

05-18-2011 01:10:59 | More by Brenden
nickthetick

Maryland

2.35/5  rDev -25.2%

A: pours a cloudy straw yellow with a huge pure white head that doesn't hang around too long and only leaves a bit of spotty lacing.

S: ok, it smells like crystal light lemonade sweetened with honey. Its a nice smell but not for a beer.

T: taste is a lot like the nose but not as much, to say I didn't get as much on the tongue as the nose would fit well.

MF: heavy carbonation and watered down.

O: not a good beer, throw a slice of lemon in it and I could easily confuse it with crystal light with some sprite mixed in.

05-18-2011 01:03:35 | More by nickthetick
MbpBugeye

1.53/5  rDev -51.3%

A little gift from above, left on my doorstep. Thoroughly chilled and poured into a Perfect Pint. Split with a friend, we didn't want to get too drunk.

Appearance
I had to stop for a hearty laugh at this beer's flaccid expense. The appearance is easily among the least beer-looking beers out there. Its really hazy, which is fine, but the color is so extremely unnatural its disturbing. The yellow is so bright it makes one think of a cheap can of CountryTime Lemonade. The white head fizzes up aggressively and loudly. Blink and you'll miss it; there's no retention. So far it has me thinking soft drink more than beer. But I think that's the goal here.

Aroma
Lemon Heads.

Taste
The lemon flavorings are very strong. They even impart a sturdy tartness, despite being very candy oriented. The beer is highly sweetened and there is only a few hidden signs of anything actually beer. There might be a little bit of a wheat base here. No hops.

Mouthfeel
Very sharp and very thin. It amazes me how beers like this, with such fervent carbonation, still manage to have no head. A sweetness builds a layer of sugars on the palate while the lemon tartness stabs at it.

Overall
A beer for people who think they won't like any beer. The trouble is, drinking this will really turn you off of beer.

05-15-2011 20:23:44 | More by MbpBugeye