Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)
3.1/5  rDev -1.3%

haha this beer cracks me up.

A- golden lemon yellow. with a super white foamy head.

S- lemon peel, lemon citrus, lemonade, a lot of lemon here.

T- it's lemony for sure, some hops but hardly anything.

M- super light, crisp and not too carbonated considering i would just wanna call this a mike's hard.

D- on a hot day at a picnic sure why not... but for a beer person just don't waste money on it. Worth trying, but not worth buying.

tykees88, Oct 14, 2010
3.45/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a pale gold color that is mildly cloudy with a small head.

Smell: Strong lemon/citrus overtones in the aroma without any real hop presence. While it's inviting, it doesn't exactly smell like beer.

Taste: Has a mild lemon flavor that isn't too overpowering. Has no hops that I could notice. While it doesn't taste like a typical beer, it's still smooth and refreshing.

Mouthfeel: It's pretty thin and somewhat watery.

Drinkability: It's good, but I think I could only drink it on a hot summer day. It works really well with a burger.

civilizedpsycho, Oct 12, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -6.7%

I'll be the first to admit that I think that Leinenkugel's is a very overrated brewer. This beer won't change my mind. Very "lemon-y" and sweet which I personally don't care for in a beer. I expected a much more tart flavor but it is rather sweet which keeps one from being able to drink to many at a time.

Plokhooy, Sep 25, 2010
2.58/5  rDev -17.8%

This pours yellow with little head. Smells like lemon and tastes like lemonade mixed with a light lager. Light-bodied, but decently carbonated. This may be a session beer for some, but I could not drink more than two because it's too sweet and the taste just isn't for me.

Dunkle, Sep 15, 2010
2.35/5  rDev -25.2%

Thanks to my wife who ordered this and made me finish it!

A- A cloudy orange color. White head that left very fast.

S- Not a lot of nose to it. Mostly lemony, citrus smell.

T- Wow, lots of lemon up front. Not much taste to it once you get past the heavy citrus. Tasted like a spiked ade drink.

M- Moderate carbonation. Light body. Very crisp taste to it.

D- Well it's better than coors light. I drank this after an Alpha King on tap so the flavors were very subdued to me. I really have no desire to ever drink another one of these.... unless stale yellow beer is the only other alternative.

HosP, Aug 19, 2010
3.53/5  rDev +12.4%

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company, Inc.--Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy Weiss Beer With Lemonade--Beer With Natural Lemonade Flavor--2009 12 oz. Bottle. 4.20% ABV. 10 IBU's. (3.5 / 5.0) Sediment hint. Thin foamy mild lace white head. Cloudy bright lemon white color. Rich lemon wheat ester front. Tangy fizzy sweet citrus lemon wheat grass thin soda pop easy to guzzle body. Refreshing crisp dry lemon citrus end. Over the top lemon. 10 Mile 90 F Tasty. Sampled 8/16/2010. 6-Pack overpriced @ $8.99.

philbertk, Aug 17, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +50.3%

What a wonderful beer for summer. The appearance is wonder. The smell is exceptional. Taste is so wonderful. Very Lemonony and beer taste rolled into one. Mouthful is the same. Drinkability is so exceptional. I could drink this beer all day long. I crave this beer

yuenglingfan101, Aug 15, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -20.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

Pours a bright, cloudy yellow color with a half finger of foam that quickly fades. Aroma fills the room with a sickenly sweet lemon lime flavor... much like Sprite. With your eyes closed, this smells just like a soda. uh oh.

First sip is overwhelmingly lemon and sweet. Again, I could mistake this for a Sprite. I don't know how to rate this as a beer, because it doesn't resemble one in any way.

On the positive side, it is drinkable and unoffensive. You wouldn't know this had alcohol in it. Similar to a Smirnoff Ice or other bitch-pop. If I were 10 years younger and wanted to get a sorority girl drunk, this would do nicely.

I'm scoring this low except for drinkability because I hardly consider this a beer.

FickleBeast, Aug 14, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle

A: Cloudy pale/dull yellow color. One finger head, zero lacing.
S: Smell of Adjunct with strong lemon
T: Lemonade with a bit of beer. Somewhat sweet, little to no hoppiness.
M: Thin/watery with a crisp finish.
D: One is very drinkable on a hot day but I would want too many more than one.

I dont dislike fruity beers in general, but this is pretty bad for me. More lemonade than beer.

jmich24, Aug 08, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +22.6%

The summer shandy it's a bit cloudy and has very little head to it The smell of it isn't too bad but it does have a good lemonade taste to it but a bit of a after taste it is a great beer to drink on a hot day out in the sun overall it's a good beer

hworking, Aug 07, 2010
3.33/5  rDev +6.1%

Leinenkugel Summer Shandy pours to a cloudy yellow/gold color with very little foam. The nose of this beer is unmistakably lemony, with the scent of cereal grains in the background.
This summer brew is lemony more than anything, with a taste that reminds me of lemon zest along with the faint taste of wheat malt in the background. Summer Shandy leans toward the sweet side end of the spectrum, but not by much. There are some sour notes and the slight taste of honey blended with the citrus. There is little or no discernable hop character to this product.

Rootdog316, Aug 07, 2010
3.3/5  rDev +5.1%

Usually I've had this in a bottle, but the tavern my friends play volleyball for had it on tap. I was surprised to see a nice full head on the goblet. The lemon zestiness of this beer certainly makes this a mood beer for me. But the refreshing taste makes it very drinkable. It had a slight tan tint to the golden hue. Nothing too complex, a lighter flavored beer with a thorough lemon infusion.

UpNorthLager, Jul 31, 2010
4.08/5  rDev +29.9%

Very drinkable beer, not a strong beer aftertaste, almost watery, which most people like anyways, nice limon flavor, not so much limeonade but more straight limon,very cloudy unfiltered beer but most craft brews are, tried it at a cool temperature to extract more flavors, probly taste great on a hot day when these are ice cold.

Cummins9110, Jul 31, 2010
2.55/5  rDev -18.8%

The finacee's favorite beer.

It's an attractive pale yellow with good haze and a white head. The flavor is a lot like lemon extract that you use for baking, which isn't to my tastes. I find a Radler a lot more charming, but this beats one I had once with actual, pulpy lemonade.

SassyBootblack, Jul 29, 2010

Thanks to bu11zeye for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a hazy light yellow color with a white head The aroma is straight lemonade. The flavor is more of the same. Nothing but lemons and the slightest bit of grain or wheat. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Mora2000, Jul 26, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +25.2%

I have drank this from a can and bottle both. The bottle is a little better in my opinion. This is one of my favorite summer beers. Very refreshing on a hot day outside. Good lemonade flavoring that is consistent throughout the entire beer (even as it begins to warm). Drinkability is very good in that the flavor doesn't wear on you and there is no lingering aftertaste. Slight notes of lemonade in the smell. Appears very cloudy as it is an unfiltered wheat (I believe).

Outstanding hot weather beer!

ChrisWashington, Jul 22, 2010
3.65/5  rDev +16.2%

Cloudy light gold colored beer with a rapidly fading head.Aroma is citrusy lemon.Taste is lemon,wheat,and a touch of honey.A great beer for summer outings.Refreshing and pretty smooth.I would recommend and purchase again in the warm weather months!!!

matty, Jul 21, 2010
3.58/5  rDev +14%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a frosty mug.

The color of this beer is a foggy yellow that does not allow you to see to the other side. Some foamy white head on top and some little lacing left on the glass.

The smell is really strong with a citrus flavor. Lemon comes right out and announces itself with a nice bit of wheat flavor. Nice and crisp from the nose.

The taste is really lemon flavored at first and really seem to hold back anything else from being noticed. Just as you think it will be all lemon, some bitter hop comes in ever so slightly so as not to go by without a hint. From there it's a slight wheat feel and then the lemon kisses the end of the beer as it goes down.

The feel of this beer is light and goes down really well so long as the strong lemon flavor does not overpower you and turn you off. I liked this beer a bit but I realize that it was helped a bit from the beach being only feet away as I review this. That being said, a really good summer beer but really only a summer beer.

Duhast500, Jul 21, 2010
3.48/5  rDev +10.8%

This beer when first tasting it was nice. Good summer beer. After drinking more than 1 or 2 though it becomes old. Also its got a low ABV which is kind of a disappointment. Overall I believe its a good beer to try but not something I could buy weekly.

Careerinbeer, Jul 20, 2010
1.25/5  rDev -60.2%

A - A hazy yellow color with a big white head, no lacing.

S - Smells like someone pissed in some lemonade. Seriously, that's what it smells like. Truly horrible skunked lemon and malts.

T - This is one of the all-time worst beers I have ever tasted. Disgusting, tastes like fizzy lemonade that has gone bad with a little bit of malt in it. I actually think I'd rather have a wine cooler.

M - A bit watery, and way carbonated. I don't know that it's super bad, but it's sure not adding anything to the experience.

D - It tastes so repulsive I couldn't get more than about a quarter of the way through it, and I really tried.

AgentZero, Jul 20, 2010
3.3/5  rDev +5.1%

A can got left in my fridge so I thought I would try it.

This poured a very light and very cloudy yellow. It started with a nice head but that went away quickly.

The nose is strong tart lemonade. I like that when I drink lemonade. We shall see if it is good for beer...

Taste is pretty much lemonade. The finish is too dry for me; rather astringent. Lemon rind becomes apparent in the finish. This does not taste much like beer but more like carbonated lemonade.

daledeee, Jul 18, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +43.3%

Bought this as part of a six pack mixer from Liberty Street Tavern. Great beer for a hot and humid summer day. It had a nice cloudy yellow pour. Had a nice head of foam with a nice lemon scent. The first taste had pleasantly sweetness to it but finished with a nice slightly bitter lemon. One of the better fruit beers I have had.

kahjdfh, Jul 12, 2010
3.23/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a thick, weaky, frothy head, not really thick and impressive. The beer is a hazy, cloudy yellow. The smell is nothing to be impressed by, but not offensive either. The beer is a bit syrup like, or cheap, not super hight quality in terms of being a lemonade beer. This is an easily drinkable, but not outstanding brew. I've had it before, I'll have it again, and I enjoy it, but it isn't anything to be wowed by.

justincolts, Jul 11, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -20.4%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a cloudy yellow with a long-lasting white head, no lace.

S: Smells like 7-UP.

T: Very light flavour, hint of malt and hops. The lemon comes through in the finish, but overall very mild.

M: Light-bodied, thin and watery.

D: Interesting enough to try once, but the beer got boring fast, not something to come back to.

Halcyondays, Jul 11, 2010
3.18/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured from 12oz into a imperial pint glass.

A: A murky, pale yellow body, with a white nose that retreats quickly.

S: A subtle aroma, which shows a domination of lemon.

T: A burst of lemon with a hint of clove on the finish. All lemon covers up most of the limited flavors which maybe present.

M: A refreshing spice, with a crisp finish.

D: This is one of those beers where drinkablity is in regards to the total ability to drink it often and quickly, not the desire to come back to it for reasons of style, flavor, and complexity.

GDBEERMAN, Jul 08, 2010