Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)

A= pours a medium-yellow, very densely hazed almost like a good weizen except that it's more like the chemical citrus powder used in some cheap fruit-beverages. Lots of foaming carbonation causing more of a volcanic foam than a true head.

S= biting on the nose, huge whiffs of fake lemon scent like Lemon Pledge furniture polish.

T= fake lemon taste, sour powdered-citric acid bite, something that might actually be hops bite but more likely citric-acid chemical-bite.

M= sour like a LemonHeads candy disguising what seems to be the lingering taste of a really cheap bargain-barrel quality beer.

D= my stomach couldn't handle even half a bottle of this.

therica, Sep 12, 2008
3.18/5  rDev +1.3%

This is a weird one. From Leinenkugel the makers of weird beer. Lemonaid and beer mixed together, sounds gross right? Well it's better then I expected it to be, not great though. Aperently this style of lemonaid beer is biger in England and parts of Europe but it is the only one I have seen in the U.S. It is a good summer beer, light and taste like lemonaid beer. Neither flavor is over-powering which is what I had expected it to be like. I can't say I could drink alot of them but every once and a while it would be ok to have a few. You have to try this one for your self to really understand the flavor.

vicg12, Sep 10, 2008
3.35/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured a pale yellow into a pint glass from a 12 oz bottle. Pretty hazy color; not much head or lacing on the glass.

Smell is of lemons and not too much else. Maybe some malt, no hops to speak of.

Tastes of lemonade and maybe a little malt. I can't really taste too much other than the lemonade, but it is refreshing in its own way. A sour taste develops as I swallow.

Mouthfeel is thin and carbonated. Not bad, nor good.

This is a drinkable beer, and refreshing for what you get. It isn't all that bad; just not something you would drink if you wanted a beer of substance.

tedsox31, Sep 07, 2008
3.05/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light yellow color, with a large white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is mostly strong lemon along with very light malts, almost no hops.

T: The taste is likewise full of sweetened lemons to the point that it's a bit overdone and not much else. The malt character is very thin and there's a very mild hops presence. The after-taste is slightly sour.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: A little tasty, goes down very easily, not filling at all, mild kick, decent representation of style, the lemon flavor is so strong and sweet that this beer is the closest thing to a "malternative" beverage that I've seen while still technically being a beer.

TheManiacalOne, Sep 05, 2008
3.25/5  rDev +3.5%

Well I'm not sure what to say about this one. A shandy is lager and lemonade mixed, and that's what this tastes like. The lemonade might not be the best (it tastes like powdered mix), and I'd like to see a hint more acidity, but I can hardly fault it. It's cloudy like lemonade (and actually has pretty good lacing), it smells like lemonade when you raise the glass to your nose, and it tastes like lemonade mixed with beer. And it's not overly sweet or overly bitter or overly acidic. So, overall it's fairly well done and nicely balanced. I enjoyed it, and I'd have another if I was at a BBQ or other warm-weather outdoor event.

NeroFiddled, Sep 04, 2008
3.23/5  rDev +2.9%

Cloudy yellow color with a thin white head. Smells of lemon. Tastes like lemon too. Watery, lemony, and a little sugary. Natural lemonade flavor, as it says on the bottle, I suppose.

Unoffensive, it's a summertime drink that the ladies would like, and that won't hurt every now and then. Not really a pure beer though. The lemonade part is for real.

jar2574, Sep 04, 2008
1.63/5  rDev -48.1%

Small capped bottle poured into a pint.

Yellowish in color, white head with near zero retention.
Very faint taste or aroma, it just feels like their Leinenkugel Red was watered down. It is hard to even comment about this very poor offering, the worse from Leinenkugel I ever had.
Do not waste your time.

brdc, Sep 01, 2008
3.08/5  rDev -1.9%

Soft, hazy swiftly effervescent orange/lemon body with a sudsy, off-white head that settles to a thin line in a tumbler... lemon zest aroma--not to the point of DAWN, but close? Without a scent of malt or hop...soft, zesty, swift bubbles on the tongue... no impact early, but a burst of champagne bubbles blast late results in a pleasantly drinkable beer... lemonade indeed--not sure if this qualifies as a fruit beer or a cheap gimmick (most on this website seem to think the latter)... a bit of malt at the finish attempts to fortify with a backbone... ADMITTANCE: I like the alliterative name of this beer--who doesn't feel another era awaken with the word shandy?--and of all the Leinenkugel "weisse" assortment, this is the most pleasant to drink and the most thoughtless to enjoy, i.e., it does what it set out to do...

dacrza1, Aug 31, 2008
3.23/5  rDev +2.9%

12 oz brown bottle poured into a mug

Leinenkugels Summer Shandy poured a cloudy pale yellow color with a long lasting thin white head. Aroma and taste is of lemonade, and light wheat - needs more American pale wheat though. Low hop bitterness that is correct for the style. Body and mouth feel is light with effervescent carbonation.

Leinenkugels Summer Shandy would make a good session brew on a hot summer day - designed for maximum drink ability at 4.2 ABV. Would like a little more flavor.

bushbeer75, Aug 17, 2008
2.85/5  rDev -9.2%

Cloudy straw color with fat, chunky bone-white head.

Smells like lemonade, wheat, lime and carbonation. A mix of Mike's hard lemonade and a wit.

Hmmm, not really a beer, per say...I only taste wheat and lemonade, and not very much of it. Might be refreshing ice cold on a hot summer day or could serve as an outdoor brunch beer.

Had this at a buddy's house as a leftover. I was expecting worse, but still think I would pass on purchasing this one.

twiggamortis420, Aug 17, 2008
2.2/5  rDev -29.9%

A- Pours a slightly hazy pale yellow color with a decent white head that leaves some spotty lacing.

S- Lemonade and maybe a touch of wheat/grass not much else going on here. The lemonade flavour dominates this brew.

T- Doesn't taste like a beer and tastes more like lemonade.

M- Light in body and carbonation.

D- Not my type of brew. Interesting and different but I think I'll pass on this one.

nrbw23, Aug 16, 2008
2.25/5  rDev -28.3%

Poured into a pint glass.

This beer is basically lemonade meets beer. It pours a hazy yellow with a head that didn't last very long. It was overpowered with lemons and I barely could tell that I was drinking a beer.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with a crisp taste to it.

I personally think that lemonade and beer shouldn't be mixed, but I know of some friends that think the shandy is a great idea. This wasn't too drinkable for me.

mothman, Aug 12, 2008
3.3/5  rDev +5.1%

Neat looking beer. Pours a very cloudy pale yellow with a nice white top.

Aromas a fairly mild, but nice. Lemon, bread, and some sweet sugars.

Tastes like lemonade and beer. doesn't sound great, but hey, it actually works. Some other sweet flavors, maybe vanilla. Like bread flavors compliment the wheat style.

Thinner feeling than a wheat, but easy to drink. Gets a bit too sweet eventually. Well suited for the season on the label.

ElGrecoVerde, Aug 11, 2008
3.63/5  rDev +15.6%

12 oz. bottle into a freshly rinsed pint glass.

A- Pours a hazy yellow with more head than I expected.
S- Lemon, that's about it.
T- The taste is strongly dominated by sweet lemon. Really this beer just tastes like Leine's Honey Weiss with a bunch of lemonade dumped in.
M- Thin with moderate carbonation.
D- If I didn't know this was beer before tasting I might mistake it for something else. That said, these are great on a hot summer day at the beach, playing golf, etc, and when appreciated for what it is can definitely be enjoyed.

Shumista, Aug 11, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +44.3%

I bought this beer by mistake, and I'm very glad I did. I've had shandies from overseas before, but this was the first I've had that used lemonade instead of ginger ale or Sprite.

On a hot summer day, you can't beat this drink. It is extremely refreshing, not a heavy beer at all. This is what you'll want to grab after cutting the grass or playing 18 holes of golf.

There is a strong flavor of lemon in the nose. Mouthfeel is very crisp, but not even slightly bitter. In the finish, there is a strong punch of lemon, but not so overpowering that you forget you're having a beer.

This beer will remain in my fridge until they stop making it.

RickS95, Aug 07, 2008
3.33/5  rDev +6.1%

The first time I tried this beer was when a friend of mine shared one out of a Leines' sampler. I was very impressed, and couldn't wait to get my hands on a 6 pack of my own. However accomplishing these was easier said than done, as I couldn't find this beer anywhere here in New Hampshire. Recently though I have seen is popping up in several stores, so I picked myself up a 6 pack for around $8.

Unfortunatley, I was not as impressed with the beer as I worked my way through the sixer. The beer pours an odd yellow, maybe a little too yellow. The smell is pleasing to the nose, but it smells more of lemons than it does of beer. The mouthfeel is nice, as you taste the sweetness of the lemon, but also the slight bitterness of the wheat. It's the aftertaste that threw me, as the more I drank the stronger the sweet aftertaste lasted. In the end I think this is a good beer to have every once in a while on a hot day. But it is not a great drinking session beer.

drouss48, Aug 06, 2008
3.4/5  rDev +8.3%

This beer is strangely a little better than the sum of its parts.

Poured into a wet pilsner glass using the "Hacker Pschorr" pour video from that website. A cloudy, pale straw color with a nice thick head that stuck around much longer than I expected.

The aroma is a little overpowering; sort of like a lemon-scented cleaner mixed with beer.

The taste is thin for a wheat, and a little overpowered by the lemon.

But surprisingly, both my neighbors and I agreed it was very drinkable, in the end. Suffice it to say that this is not the highest testament to the art of brewing one will find in stores this summer. But it's an interesting attempt, and a quite acceptable offering for a hot night out on the dec.

JonB1958, Aug 02, 2008
2.3/5  rDev -26.8%

Pours lemon-drop yellow with a thin white head that vanishes.

Smells like lemon merangue pie with a powered "artificial" lemonade mix. Interesting - where's the beer?

The taste is of powered lemonade - ala from a mix- slight lemon merangue. Sweet. I guess this is what they were going for...Again - any "beer" flavor is hardly detectable - some maltiness at most. Hardly, though.

Light-bodied, weak, a bit watery, with a lemonade dryness.

The concept is fine - but, this is hardly a "shandy". Regardless, this will be suited to the people who like lemonade from a powder mix with just a tad of undetectable alcohol. Too sweet, in an "artificial" way, for me, though lemonade dryness almost makes up for it - almost.

jwc215, Aug 01, 2008
3.83/5  rDev +22%

GLASS: Saint Arnold Brewery Tasting Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees
(SUMMER BEER TASTING w/ a few friends)

It's a beautiful hazy golden yellow in the glass. Reminds me of a hot summer day, visually. Not 100+ degree 'heatstroke' kind of hot, but upper-80's to mid-90's. Where you're just starting to see 'heat-lines' in the air, if you look down the street.
Creamy one-finger head dissipates fairly quickly. Decent lacing. Minimal retention.

The smell is like effervescing lemons. If you had a pool filled with fresh lemons and they began giving off a wonderful bubbly gaseous mist, I think it would smell like this.
For all intents and purposes this looks and smells like a glass of strong homemade lemonade.

Taste is where it drops a little bit, for me. Granted, it is pretty much exactly what it claims to be. A well-done (American) Pale Wheat with lemonade blended in. The lemon seems to be a bit too dominant, though. While I do detect a tiny hint of yeastiness in there, the beer flavor is all but buried.

It feels a bit wrong to me, also. It's thin, which I would normally like, in this style. The problem is that there seems to be to many bubbles (overcarbonation). Makes for an odd mouthfeel.

After what I've just said about it, I'm surprised to say that I still find this to be a good, easy-drinking, refreshing summer brew. On a nice hot day, this would definitely do the trick.

coldmeat23, Jul 30, 2008
2.58/5  rDev -17.8%

12oz bottle poured into a weizen glass. Pours very pale straw, slightly cloudy with a 1 1/2 inch head the mostly disappeared. Some loose lacing that fell back into the beer.

Smells of grass, lemon, and some light spice.

This beer is dominated by the lemon. There were some softer malt/yeasty flavors and a hint of citrus other than lemon.

This beer was a bit thin, almost spritzy feel with medium carbonation.

Overall, this was a bit much. The label says "Weiss beer with lemon" so I was looking forward to something refreshing. Well the lemon was there, but I never did find the weiss beer part. It was light and ctirusy cool, but left me feeling more like I was holding a clear "malt" beverage than a beer. Too much lemon and way to sweet to even think about drinking more than one without getting a stomachache. Interesting, but more lemonade than beer. I won't be getting this one again.

smerkinb, Jul 30, 2008
1.9/5  rDev -39.5%

LEMONADE WEEE! BEER WEEE! I am excited, uhh until I tasted it.

This I will admit is my first shandy, which I must say was very disappointing, the pour was what got me excited, it flowed from the bottle a hazy pale yellow that formed a thick white head, the retention time was surprisingly fast, although it did fizzle down to a good lacing that stuck to the sides of the glass. The hint of carbonation made it look playful and inviting insinuating a true summertime feel. The sweet scents of lemons filled my nostrils when I sniffed the glass, a hint of wheat peeked in, which should have been my first inkling as to what laid ahead.

I was anticipating the first sip the thought of lemonade and beer made me happy, until I got it in my mouth. The excitement disappeared as fast as the head did, it was blam nothing, sure there were lemons, not sweet lemons, not flavorful lemons, not even sour lemons, just lemons plain lemons, flat lemons, its like the lemons decide to party crash and left the wheat out on the porch staring in the window longing for attention.

As were my expectations now, the first gulp felt thick and creamy. It looked like it was going to save the day for me, but it only stayed that way for a little bit. It decides to turn watery making me cry inside. In the end, this beer, felt like a good story gone wrong. It made me want it until I had it, the only way I can truly describe it is if Mary Shelly decide to brew beer waited for it and at that moment she tasted it she had an epiphany and came up with the story of Frankenstein, but, not the story we know and love today, no the first draft, the draft of a story that when finished looks awesome and feels awesome, but when you come back later and re-read it you realize how much it could have been better so you edit and re-edit it until you get a great story, that is what this needs it needs an edit, an edit to finish what should be a great story.

PLANETBUSTERRAVE, Jul 29, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +49.7%

I poured this beer into a Hoegaarden Pint glass. There was little lacing, which immediately dissipated.

Flavor is mild and sweet. The flavor of a weiss beer immediately floods the palate. The lemon flavor is strong and sour. High marks for refreshment.

The aftertaste is all lemonade.

I just moved back to Illinois from California this summer. As such, I had know of the Leinenkugel beers, but had not tried any of them.

I was immediately thrilled to see that they a beer shandy. My college internship was in Windhoek, Namibia. There I spent many summer nights with my teammates enjoying Zebra, Sprinbok, & beer shandies.

Kudos to Leinies for bringing an unique beer flavor to the market. I enjoyed it with a little nostolgia & while listening to Paul Simon's "Graceland" album.

davidaubrey, Jul 26, 2008
3.45/5  rDev +9.9%

Leinenkugel Summer Shandy is a fruity beer that pours to a cloudy yellow/gold color with a head of foam that is thin and is comprised of very small, tightly packed bubbles, giving the beer a creamy mouth feel. This beer has a nose that is lemony with the scent of cereal grains in the background.

This beer offers exactly the taste one would expect based on the aroma, with flavors of lemon and more lemon and the faint taste of wheat in the background. This beer is mostly sweet, but it also has some sour notes and the slight taste of honey blended with the citrus. There is little or no discernable hop character to this product.

Leinenkugel Summer Shandy tastes quite a bit like lemonade- a quality that would normally convince me to lower my rating. But there are some qualities that make Leinenkugel Summer Shandy different from many other fruit beers and make it more enjoyable. First, the fruit is not syrupy or excessively sweet. The taste of lemon is obvious, but this beer doesn't taste like Kool- Aid or any other sugary drink. Second, it still has characteristics of beer, even though the lemon taste dominates. It's a pretty good tasting beer and it does make a good choice for a hot summer day.

BryanCarey, Jul 26, 2008
2.5/5  rDev -20.4%

Never having tried this style before I don't want to be harsh. However having friends familliar with the style from living in Germany I don't feel so bad giving this review.
Aroma is "countrytime" lemonade mix. Not the drink, the powder. Very acidic . Pours an odd shade of milky yellow with a billowing cream head that lasts throughout leaving quite a bit of lacing. I cannot taste any beer in this. Its all lemonade. Very acidic and harsh. Quite a bit of carbonation in conjunction with the lemonade makes it more like a soda. I can see where they were going with this but just went overboard on the lemonade. If it was a more natural lemon flavor it would probably be pretty good. but this tastes very artificial.

LunaChick, Jul 26, 2008
4.93/5  rDev +57%

Great summer beer but only in small quantities. As described it is very lemony. You get a lot more lemon than beer, but still a great combination for the summer! The wheat off sets it enough to let the title of beer remain. Hey, if you like lemonade and beer give this a try. I also recommend pouring this in a glass and adding a real lemon wedge and circling the rim of the glass then putting it right in the beer.

klintok21, Jul 24, 2008