Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007

3.43/5  rDev +8.9%

I shared this with the mrs. -into a pint chilled.

The color is slightly hazy like lemonade golden yellow with rocky white cap that retains ok and has small beading. The carbonation is visible and lace sticks haphazardly. The smell is kind of lemony, but a little like lemon pledge without much beyond that. the feel is good with slight juicy citric bite and refreshing feel of semi-high carbonation with slightly clean and semi-dry finish with only a slight amount of sweetness throughout. Tangy and somewhat like lemonade in that it starts sweet and the tartness comes later.

The tastes is actually better than I expected with nice lemony and slight citrus peel tinges with slight malt flavor rounding out the flavor with slight astringent in the back of the throat like lemonade but the shandy maintains a balance of mild malt with tart lemon and seems to finish uncannily clean. Overall what can I say - I like this as a summer quencher and could probably enjoy this year round it is really decent if you enjoy arnold palmers or tea coolers depending on what you refer to them as. The malt is mild and the lemony flavor refreshes in a natural way. I consider this pretty decent for what it is.

4.62/5  rDev +46.7%

I poured this beer this past weekend at Boise Beer Festival in Boise Idaho. I ended up having several of these over a few hours time. This beer was one of the most popular beers of the 200+ beers at the event. It was hot out so take that in count...

Appearance- hazy foggy yellow.
Smell-Lemon and hops
taste- Lemon and lots of citrus. there is a little hop showing in there as well.
mouthfeel- smooth lite and refreshing. It was creamy on a little level.
Overall- HEAVEN on a hot day. Seriously loved this beer...

3.06/5  rDev -2.9%

A - Hazy as all hell yellow with a stark white foamy head, poured from a can into a more slender glass than what I usually use.

S - All sorts of lemony with just a little bit of malt smell wafting around

T - Big lemon, little honey, not a ton else to reminisce on as far as traditional "beer" tastes go. Their was some tiny bitterness, but not (that I felt) from anything too exciting as far as hops are concerned.

M - A touch dry with not as much aftertaste as I thought at first. This was sweet as well, but not cloyingly so.

O - This one is a near perfect hot summer day beer that you can down several of. Not the best beer for a hearty experience, but hot and outdoors? Bring it on! Just make sure it's good and cold. Kinda goes funky when it warms up.

3.65/5  rDev +15.9%

A - Pours a hazy yellow color with a finger thick head that fades relatively quickly.

S - Lemon note is strong. But there are other citrus notes such as orange and even cloves.

T - Lemon peel is strong upfront, and follows you all the way until you swallow. Yeasty finish that would come close to making up for a person's dislike for the lemonness.

O - I can imagine after mowing the lawn or running pouring one of these and enjoying it greatly. Lemons are a little too strong for my liking. It's close to leaving the beer category and entering the fruity fun drink category, which is fine, but this is a BEER.

Depite this I cannot deny that it is a good tasting beer. I liked it and I will no doubt be drinking this again.

2.81/5  rDev -10.8%

Notes from 7/27/11. On tap at the Miller Brewery in Milwaukee.

A - Cloudy medium yellow with half a finger of white head

S - Lemonade. No malts or hops noticeable in the nose.

T - Lemonade at first with no obvious beer flavours. However, the finish has some grainy malt notes. Very sweet.

M - Light body. Somewhat heavily carbonated.

O - An interesting beer but not one that I would ever order again.

2.96/5  rDev -6%

My father-in-law gave me this to see what I thought. Sampled from a bottle best by 10/10/11. Bright, hazy yellow color with a fizzy white head that leaves a decent white cap. That was the best part. Surprisingly medium bodied with assertive carbonation. Smell and taste was lemons with orange zest. The aftertaste basically left you feeling as though you were drinking lemon concentrate. This is a beer that would be enjoyed by non-drinkers or Coors Light lovers.

3.24/5  rDev +2.9%

The Summer Shandy to me is alot like Mike's Hard Lemonade or Smirnov Ice or spikes countrytime lemonade. The appearance is yellow with with head. The nose is very lemony....not much else. The taste is a combonation of lemmon and grains. The mouthfeel is fine....too tart for me and wouldnt drink this stuff very often.

3.73/5  rDev +18.4%

This beer is a really murky and pastel colored yellow. It only had traces of a head, but a decent looking bready one at that.

Nose is really lemony and rather tart. Just like smelling a lemon tart desert pie. A little bit of grains and bready malts in the backdrop.

The flavors on this one are as smooth as chalk. Smooth semi creamy mouthfeel. Very lemony and slightly tart. Really thirst quenching and satisfying for a hot, humid summer day. I can't complain with one of these in weather like this. Only a little bit of wheaty malts comes through in the finish which blend rather well with the flavors of lemonade. One would never think that these actually complement each other until it's tried.

Is this a really light and unrefined beverage? Yes but it's damn tasty in the sun.

2.75/5  rDev -12.7%

From can no. Oct1711-A01190620. Sampled on July 29, 2011. The pour is lemon yellow with a bit of a lemon zing haze and a huge puffy head. This reeks of lemon zing to the point that I get little else except a whisper of fresh hops and grain. But I gave it a 3.5 on the aroma because it didn't smell artificial. The body is light and thin which would be perfect for a 90 degree day. The taste is way too overboard with the lemon and a grainy character up back.

3.15/5  rDev 0%

Bottle poured into a tulip

A: Pours a whitish yellow with a slight green tint in particular light. It’s very cloudy with a foamy head and large bubbles that settle into more tightly packed fizz.

S: Aroma is like lemonade with some spicy fizziness and a sweetness that becomes heavy with excessive sugar immediately after taking the first whiff.

T/M: Has a medium amount of carbonation and is much lighter than anticipated; you’d expect something very similar to a carbonated lemonade but it’s not nearly as sweet or flavorful. Big bubbles perforate the mouth and the slightly sour, slightly sweet citrus soda essence takes shape. There’s a subtle bitterness in the finish.

This is like a fruit beer and saison mixed together and is decently refreshing, but it’s not going to hit the spot for true beer enthusiasts.

2.98/5  rDev -5.4%

So it's really cute that my girlfriend is trying to get into craft beers. She tends to love the sweeter and more fruit based beers. This is one that she absolutely loved and goes out of her way to purchase. I had to give it a shot.

Bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Hazy golden color. Looks like a dark lemonade. Some lacing and some bubbles on the walls of the glass. Taste is all lemon and malt- carbonated lemonade- tons of citrus flavor. I can see why this is an attractive beer to some. Light bodied. Very carbonated. Not my cup of tea, but it is popular given the fact that it is easy drinking and flavorful.

2.26/5  rDev -28.3%

Purchased at Deluxe in Richmond, VA - poured into pint glass

Pours a golden yellow with a fat pillowy head. Smells lemony but kind of nail polishy too. Taste is horrid. It tastes like lemon flavored corn water. Feels slimey and overall this beer was a waste of money.

Don't.

2.94/5  rDev -6.7%

this is one of my wife's favorite beers, being the fact I have nothing else left to drink, I had to open it.
A- very pale yellow, maybe pale isnt the word to use. How about urine like?
S - Citrus is the only thing I can smell, lots of citrus
T - citrus rine, some sweetness, lots of citrus bitterness
M - easy to drink, if you like lemonade
O - this is one beer that is constantly in my fridge that I dont like to touch. Not to say its a bad beer, but it leaves me wanting to drink something with more flavor and bite.
good lawnmower beer, or beer to throw through a lawnmower.

3.54/5  rDev +12.4%

This beer is a great session beer, sitting out back or by the pool on a hot day. This is by far one of the better summer shandy's out there. I really prefer this on a hot day then my go to paulander heifer. A wheat beer on a hot summer day or night is what I look forward to after a long day at work. If you like wheat beers then this is a good one. Not for everyone but for me it just fine. Going in to get my third one now.

2.99/5  rDev -5.1%

12oz bottle into my Three Floyd's glass. Hazy and a lighter, golden yellow color with a thin, frothy white head to it. Decent lacing on the glass as I drank it.

The aroma has a lemon-aid, slightly lemony household cleaner type of flavor to it. Just a hint of a grainy, sweet, beer base to it.

The taste shows a little more of a sweeter, grainy, beer quality to it up front. The finish is all about the lemonaid with a tart, lemony quality to it.

The mouthfeel is light and carbonation is above average. overall, it was a decent beverage but not a very good beer. I think I'd rather just have an actual lemon-aid.

2.98/5  rDev -5.4%

A: Single finger head which rapidly disspiates to a thin rim around the periphery. Murky straw color with golden hues.

S: Very lemony with a bit of bready/wheat.

T: No esoteric commentary needed here. Just read the label... " Beer with natural lemonade flavor". More like lemonade with a touch of beer flavor.

M: May be the most refreshing beer ever. Its carbonated lemonade. Add some sugar and you have a Mike Hard Lemonade.

Overall: Maybe these types of beer are for some, but not for me.

2.98/5  rDev -5.4%

I knew I would eventually end up reviewing this beer.

A-Well, If lemonade had a head, this beer would be almost indistinguishable from the fruity beverage. Translucent. Hard to see any carbonation. Head is bone white and leaves more lacing that anticipated. How do I rate this? As a beer, it looks less than amazing. As a lemon spawned Summer sipper, I guess it looks nice.

S-Lemonade. Artificial lemonade. Smells like a plastic bottle of vending machine lemonade. The more I smell, the more I will admit that this brew may harbor some natural lemon tartness. So maybe the vending machine comment should be revoked? The flavor will decide.

T-To be honest, the flavor displays more natural lemon flavor and far less sickly sweet artificial lemon flavor. I recently burped and the burp's aftertaste was identical to lemonade. Was expecting a lot more 'Lemonade flavored Splenda' than 'Hey, this truly tastes like Lemonade'. So I guess that means good job?

M-Crisp and the carbonation draws my attention. Light body.

O/D-Better than expected. I don't really like lemonade anyway so this one never had to chance to make the word 'underrated' slide across my mind. Yet, while trying to be somewhat objective, this thing does not suck nearly as bad as expected.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Had on tap at some bar in Rehoboth Beach, DE.

A: Served in a pint glass the beer is straw/light yellow in color, slightly hazy, with a one finger white head on top. Decent head retention and moderate lacing.

S: Reminded me of very strong and tart lemonade. It was very sweet and sugary, not much else came through at all.

T: Very similar to the aroma, lots of very sugary lemons. It reminds of cheap lemonade mix that I used to use as a kid, except this tastes like when you add WAY too much of the mix and a ton of the sugar sits at the bottom of your glass.

M: Surprisingly crisp and refreshing, the slightly sour twang is nice actually.

O: Honestly, better than I expected it to be, but still, a bit over the top in terms of sweetness and not very beer-like either.

3.02/5  rDev -4.1%

12oz can poured into a Brooklyn snifter. My dad loves this beer, so I bought him a 12pk for when he comes over to the house...figured I'd give one a shot on this warm summer night.

A - Pours a very hazy/cloudy translucent extra pale golden color - somewhat fruit juice like. A strong finger of very fizzy soda-y head rises on the pour and loudly disintegrates to the surface leaving a mono-layer of bubbles for a collar and nothing else. Not that impressive for a wheat based beer.

S - Pure lemonade on the nose complete with a sugary sweetness on top of the fruit. I like lemonade and enjoy this smell too, but its difficult to reconcile this as beer from the aroma.

T - Yep, lemonade on the tongue too...but not a clean lemonade flavor, almost like there is a splash of orange juice? in there too. The faintest hint of wheat can be found as well as a sprinkle of hoppy bitterness.

M - Thin, fruity/lemony, Sprite-like, fizzy and very prickly strong carbonation level.

O - Objectively, this isn't a very good beer. In fact it doesn't even resemble beer...Mike's Hard Lemonade is more beer-like than this. This being said, I kinda enjoy this on its own, standing by itself without attaching a label to it. Hot day, mowing the lawn, a 12pk could disappear quickly...just think of it as a refreshing lemon drink with a touch of alcohol in it...it's not bad. I like it, but this isn't beer!

1.66/5  rDev -47.3%

I had this beer on tap served with a flight of beers - 5oz pour.

A - It was served in a 5oz flight glass, a cloudy golden apperance. By the time it got to me there was no head left and no lacing around the glass. This was evident by the size of the rest of the pours.

S - Smells like lemonade, and uhh medicinal smell? Kind of like Emergen C or Airborne. Not much going on here except that powerful citrus aroma.

T - It tastes way worse then it smells. Like straight up medicine that you do not want to drink anymore. Just plain bad. Its not even sweet! I just taste chalky powdered airborne in there.

M - Very thin with high carbonation...like fizzy bubbles everywhere.

O - I would never buy this beer, nor will I drink it even on a hot summer day. I just feel like I am taking medication rather than drinking a beer. Worth a try just to say you had it.

2.26/5  rDev -28.3%

A-Cloudy appearance with a pale yellow color, white head with a little staying power

S-Lemonade flavor is dominant, hint of pale malt in there

T-Lemonade flavor, with a hint of a weiss beer in there at the end, maybe a hint of hop in the end-but probably just the carbonation.

M-Thin, light to medium carbonation. Smooth
and easy to drink.

D-Easy to drink these on a hot humid day like today.

O-Think Leine's could have done something better with this beer-seemingly took the cheap route by making a basic weiss beer-(Is it their base beer that they use to make honey weiss?) and adding some lemonade flavoring, too much in my opinion, and this was the result. Would be interesting to make this one with lemon juice or peel and see what could be done here. For a summer seasonal can see why this would appeal to many though-easy to drink and refreshing on a hot summer day.

2.53/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from my dual-tap kegerator into a pint glass. I normally wouldn't buy a lemonade flavored beer but from time to time, I have to give a tap choice to my wife and this is one her favorites during the summer. With that said, lets get on to the review.

Appearance: This pour is yellow and cloudy, typical of your unfiltered wheat beer. Average one-finger head that quickly diminishes.

Smell: Believe it or not, the lemonade aroma dominates. I mean really dominates. I can't smell much of anything else. Certainly not any beer aroma.

Taste: Yes sir, this is a lemonade beer. Not as bad as a lemonade flavor wine cooler, as it lacks the syrupy sweetness and thickness. I catch a faint background of a wheat beer trying desperately to come out, but the lemon flavor pushes back hard and says, "Not on my watch".

Mouthfeel: It has that lively carbonation and does go down effortlessly.

Overall: I'll be honest, if I'm out mowing the lawn in the 90 degree heat, plus high humidity weather, this beer would taste pretty darn good going down. Short of that, this beer didn't have the typical flavors of a good unfiltered wheat ale, which it tries to resemble. I liked it better than their Sunset Wheat, which was too sweet and cereal tasting for my liking. Give me my Allagash White Ale or Southampton Double White Ale for my summer drinking beer...

3.97/5  rDev +26%

Admittedly I'm a sucker for sweeter beers, but even I was skeptical at a lemonade/beer combo. However girly it may be, it is a delicious and refreshing beer that manages to eliminate all of the negatives of a malt beverage like Mike's Hard or a flavored beer like Bud Light Lime. There's no lingering sweetness, and isn't harsh on the stomach acid wise. You can taste the beer and the lemonade, but neither are bad. The flavors don't taste fake or forced. Great refreshing beer for a summer barbeque.

3.38/5  rDev +7.3%

Have been putting off trying this one for ages and decided to spring for a mixed 12-pack with this in it.

Not a lot to report....american wheat ale meets lemonade....aroma is big on the lemons....taste leans heavier toward the wheat ale...then some lemonade notes and some honey feel to the taste as well....really looks the part in the glass..

In a way it is kind of refreshing. Low ABV....I sweated my ass of in the weight room tonight and this actually kind of hits the spot for me. Might grab one out of a friends cooler on a hot day or something but not thinking I'll be buying much of this.

3.62/5  rDev +14.9%

The brew poured a very cloudy yellow color, not allowing very much light to shine through. It had a bit of a small white head on top, that faded quickly. This brew didn't have much lacing at all.

The beer had a nice strong lemon aroma. Very much like lemons that have been sitting in the sun. Its dumb, its like sunshine in a bottle, the aroma makes you think summer right away. It has a great smell of a wonderfully cold lemonade. It seems to be holding true to the style.

Its apparent in the flavor of this beer that they have gone for. Its very much like the Sunset Wheat. It has a great lemon flavor that goes well with the carbonation levels of the brew. Its actually helps give this brew a great balance. Its a bit tart and sweet at the same time, making it very good.

The mouthful onl this brew is pretty good. I am not oen to drink a lot of vegetable/fruit beers, but this is a great one for the summer. Its has a thirst quenching aspect that is great. I would surely reach for this again.

Its a very drinkable brew, with a nice carbonation that goes with the lemon flavors. It goes down easy, with a bit of a tingle on the tongue. I will surely reach for it again.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company