Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)
1.6/5  rDev -49.2%

I had this beer on tap served with a flight of beers - 5oz pour.

A - It was served in a 5oz flight glass, a cloudy golden apperance. By the time it got to me there was no head left and no lacing around the glass. This was evident by the size of the rest of the pours.

S - Smells like lemonade, and uhh medicinal smell? Kind of like Emergen C or Airborne. Not much going on here except that powerful citrus aroma.

T - It tastes way worse then it smells. Like straight up medicine that you do not want to drink anymore. Just plain bad. Its not even sweet! I just taste chalky powdered airborne in there.

M - Very thin with high carbonation...like fizzy bubbles everywhere.

O - I would never buy this beer, nor will I drink it even on a hot summer day. I just feel like I am taking medication rather than drinking a beer. Worth a try just to say you had it.

2.25/5  rDev -28.6%

A-Cloudy appearance with a pale yellow color, white head with a little staying power

S-Lemonade flavor is dominant, hint of pale malt in there

T-Lemonade flavor, with a hint of a weiss beer in there at the end, maybe a hint of hop in the end-but probably just the carbonation.

M-Thin, light to medium carbonation. Smooth
and easy to drink.

D-Easy to drink these on a hot humid day like today.

O-Think Leine's could have done something better with this beer-seemingly took the cheap route by making a basic weiss beer-(Is it their base beer that they use to make honey weiss?) and adding some lemonade flavoring, too much in my opinion, and this was the result. Would be interesting to make this one with lemon juice or peel and see what could be done here. For a summer seasonal can see why this would appeal to many though-easy to drink and refreshing on a hot summer day.

2.53/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from my dual-tap kegerator into a pint glass. I normally wouldn't buy a lemonade flavored beer but from time to time, I have to give a tap choice to my wife and this is one her favorites during the summer. With that said, lets get on to the review.

Appearance: This pour is yellow and cloudy, typical of your unfiltered wheat beer. Average one-finger head that quickly diminishes.

Smell: Believe it or not, the lemonade aroma dominates. I mean really dominates. I can't smell much of anything else. Certainly not any beer aroma.

Taste: Yes sir, this is a lemonade beer. Not as bad as a lemonade flavor wine cooler, as it lacks the syrupy sweetness and thickness. I catch a faint background of a wheat beer trying desperately to come out, but the lemon flavor pushes back hard and says, "Not on my watch".

Mouthfeel: It has that lively carbonation and does go down effortlessly.

Overall: I'll be honest, if I'm out mowing the lawn in the 90 degree heat, plus high humidity weather, this beer would taste pretty darn good going down. Short of that, this beer didn't have the typical flavors of a good unfiltered wheat ale, which it tries to resemble. I liked it better than their Sunset Wheat, which was too sweet and cereal tasting for my liking. Give me my Allagash White Ale or Southampton Double White Ale for my summer drinking beer...

3.98/5  rDev +26.3%

Admittedly I'm a sucker for sweeter beers, but even I was skeptical at a lemonade/beer combo. However girly it may be, it is a delicious and refreshing beer that manages to eliminate all of the negatives of a malt beverage like Mike's Hard or a flavored beer like Bud Light Lime. There's no lingering sweetness, and isn't harsh on the stomach acid wise. You can taste the beer and the lemonade, but neither are bad. The flavors don't taste fake or forced. Great refreshing beer for a summer barbeque.

3.38/5  rDev +7.3%

Have been putting off trying this one for ages and decided to spring for a mixed 12-pack with this in it.

Not a lot to report....american wheat ale meets lemonade....aroma is big on the lemons....taste leans heavier toward the wheat ale...then some lemonade notes and some honey feel to the taste as well....really looks the part in the glass..

In a way it is kind of refreshing. Low ABV....I sweated my ass of in the weight room tonight and this actually kind of hits the spot for me. Might grab one out of a friends cooler on a hot day or something but not thinking I'll be buying much of this.

3.63/5  rDev +15.2%

The brew poured a very cloudy yellow color, not allowing very much light to shine through. It had a bit of a small white head on top, that faded quickly. This brew didn't have much lacing at all.

The beer had a nice strong lemon aroma. Very much like lemons that have been sitting in the sun. Its dumb, its like sunshine in a bottle, the aroma makes you think summer right away. It has a great smell of a wonderfully cold lemonade. It seems to be holding true to the style.

Its apparent in the flavor of this beer that they have gone for. Its very much like the Sunset Wheat. It has a great lemon flavor that goes well with the carbonation levels of the brew. Its actually helps give this brew a great balance. Its a bit tart and sweet at the same time, making it very good.

The mouthful onl this brew is pretty good. I am not oen to drink a lot of vegetable/fruit beers, but this is a great one for the summer. Its has a thirst quenching aspect that is great. I would surely reach for this again.

Its a very drinkable brew, with a nice carbonation that goes with the lemon flavors. It goes down easy, with a bit of a tingle on the tongue. I will surely reach for it again.

2.68/5  rDev -14.9%

Hazy yellow color with a thin head that dissipates after a minute or two. Wheat on the nose with a soapy lemon aroma. Lemon flavor is predominant and definitely does not taste like fresh squeezed lemonade, but I wasn't expecting it to. More like Country Time lemonade. Carbonation is pretty good. All in all it is not a great beer, but it is pretty refreshing. I can't see myself buying this again, but on a 105+ degree day in Phoenix if someone handed me one I would certainly enjoy it.

2.63/5  rDev -16.5%

Summer Shandy

Served in 12 oz bottle.

A: Appears to be a hazy gold. Not much of a head in the bottle.

S: Watery lemonade with orange wedges and light wheat tang.

T: Lemonade that tastes a bit artificial. Wheat tang and graininess, the combination of which brings to mind a children's breakfast cereal similar to fruit loops.  Light bitterness.

M: Light body and medium carbonation.

O: Summer Shandy represents a stab at the Blue Moon/Shocktop market. I'm not sure how well it compares to them as I have not sampled Blue Moon in many moons and Shocktop has never touched these lips. In comparison to other summer beers, Summer Shandy pales next to pale ales Berliner Weisses. Still, it is marginally than Sunset Wheat and Berry Weiss.

3.58/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured a 3/4" white head. Hazy lemonade yellow colored body. Smells like lemonade. Taste is pretty much as to be expected half weiss beer and half lemonade. Although there is some lemonade sweetness I don't personally think it was even a fraction as sweet as a typical off the shelf lemonade. Plus if it had instead been predominately beer with just a little lemonade spike it would be been more like one of those BMC's with lemon or lime twist. So all in all I thought this delivered exactly what the label indicated. And yes, it's refreshing.

1.95/5  rDev -38.1%

I tried this a few weeks ago when we went out to dinner. I was expecting a mild lemon malt taste. It wasn't mild at all, the lemon taste was downright overpowering.

The beer pours a nice yellow to gold color. Had a good head to it. I'm not a big fan of this type of beer, too sweet for my taste. But Widmer Brothers Citra Blonde Summer brew was by far better tasting.

3.13/5  rDev -0.6%

Pours a nice bright yellow with a two finger white head that fizzes away at a fair pace and leaves some lacing. Smells strongly of lemon and not much else. Taste is of carbonated lemonade with some malts thrown in. This was a surprise to me as I was expecting more balance, not that it was a bad taste, it just threw me off. Mouthfeel was decent, again like carbonated lemonade. This was an interesting beer and was really refreshing for sure, but it's not something I would get again myself.

2.88/5  rDev -8.6%

I CAN tell you that I was not a huge fan of this one last year around this time, bottle give it another try. I CAN't wait to get back on The CANQuest (TM)!

Wow! I have to give it props for presentation. Two fingers of bone-white head above a cloudy banana-yellow colored beer!?! It looked like liquid lemon meringue pie! It smelled like it, too, that or Lemon Pledge. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was a sugary lemonade. I would have preferred it to tend more towards tart and/or dry, but the inherent sweetness was not to my liking. Finish was still too sweet for me to really get behind it. I am a member of Leinie's Lodge, but I am not putting this in my canoe (unless Pocahontas is coming along and she would like to drink it, in which case ...). Nah, this is just too close to kiddie alcopop for my taste.

1.73/5  rDev -45.1%

A- Pale yellow, fizzy white head lasts only for a little while.
S- A bit worried here. It smells overwhelmingly of lemon. There is very little beer aroma. Maybe just a touch of wheat characteristics. The thing about it is, I like lemonade well enough, but the artificial aroma on this one just lingers.
T- Yeah... It immediately is lemon. Lemon beginning, middle, and end. Which is cool and all, but there is not much beer to it. I mean beside the slightest bit of a grainy/wheat flavor, there is nothing but artificial lemon.
M- I guess the body is substantial enough considering a pretty significant portion of the bevarage is lemonade. Fizzy at first, but flattens out quickly.
O- I recognize that there is potential for a shandy. That said, the beer aspects are absent here, and the lemonade charactersitics taste strongly artificial. Thus, this one didn't work on almost any level for me.

3.25/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

It has been awhile since I had this beer. It used to be identified as the ideal summer fruit beer to drink all day. The ABV is ideally sessionable. Since then, a lot more beers have filled the space in this tangent.

The Summer Shandy is still everything it used to be. This light yellow beer with lots of lemon is still low in ABV. The coloring reminds me of sunshine, and the carbonation and weight are both extremely light.

The lemoning is very present, and it covers most of the other flavors in the beer. It is very easy to drink, but it doesn't challenge the drinker.

I thoroughly recommend this beer for summer afternoons, post mowing, or on the beach. It is perfect as a stepping stone to convert the macro drinkers or anybody new to beer. BA pros may enjoy it if they don't take it too seriously.

2.68/5  rDev -14.9%

A: pale yellow..cloudy..small thin cap for a head.

S: smells like mildly spiked lemonade.. fresh lemons.. that's pretty much all im getting..

T: watered down lemonade.. almost like mixing an adjunct lager with lemonade.. small hints of wheat and/or grain.. finish is a bit chalky &for dry.. pretty lemonade like..

Mf: light-medium body with good carbonation ..

O: its not offensive..I just don't know how to classify this or even rate this.. refreshing non the less..

3.15/5  rDev 0%

hazy yellow color. nice big head retention.

smells like lemon, almost too much to be true. would not be surprised to learn that an artificial flavoring were used. its not bad, it just smells about as much like lemons as lemonheads do. but it smells nice.

it tastes about like it smells. not bad just very lemony. has a nice big mouthfeel, nice carbonation.

overall though, this doesn't really strike me as a beer. i dont remember what mike hard lemonade tastes like but i imagine it tastes like this.

2.9/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Appearance: Cloudy, pale yellow with a lot of bubbles. Big two finger white head with very good retention and lacing.

Smell: Big aroma of sweet and tart lemonade. Light hints of wheat and pale malts. Smells more like lemonade than a beer.

Taste: Tastes like it smells. Big taste of tart lemons throughout with a little wheat and very subtle hints of pale malts. Like a hard lemonade with hints of beer.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with a medium to high level of carbonation. Crisp.

Overall: This tastes ok but it's not something I would seek out again. As a lemonade it tastes pretty weak and as a beer its almost nonexistent.

3.8/5  rDev +20.6%

12 oz can poured into a Leinie's imperial pint.
4.2% ABV, Jul 18 11 printed on the bottom.

A - Likek cloudy, fresh lemonade, this beer is pale straw yellow and hazed through completely. A billowing white head crowns the beer and descends from three fingers very slowly while leaving lace down the whole pint!

S - Pale malt, soft wheat, and a big, strong aroma of citrusy lemonade give this a seasonally delicious aroma that signals the beginning to summer fun and refreshment.

T - Pale malt, notes of dry straw, and soft but mild wheat make up the base of the brew. A mildly sweetened lemonade citrus comes through at the end.

M - Citrus tang all over, this refreshing beer is crisp and medium-light bodied with a high carbonated, refreshing, semi-sweet but not cloying finish.

O - Hey, it is what it is; a refreshing summer thirst quencher. Would I want more than one or possibly two? No, not really, but it gets the job done and anyone that likes lemonade can't say this isn't good, cause that's basically what it is.

3.03/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can poured into a pint glass.
A: Cloudy lemonade yellow. Short head that dissipates quickly.
S: Smells like dried lemonade mix.
T: Tastes more like lemonade than beer. I haven't had a Mike's in a while but would be curious to drink one side by side with this. A bit of caramel malt on the finish.
M: Nice, light, crispy.
O: Overall it's better than the sum of its parts. Not a complex or traditional beer, but a tasty summer drink.

3.55/5  rDev +12.7%

I had this on tap in a plastic cup while in Ocean City sitting on the deck bar on a hot summer evening(Macky's bayside).

It was a great thrist quencher summer brew. Very strong lemon/lime flavors prevail. Not exactly a beer drinkers beer but for a good swill beer in the heat, it tasted much better that a Corona with lime in it. My report for this beer isn't under my usual quality controlled enviroment (lazy boy chair in living room with Sam Adams pint glass pour)so this report is more for my database than to be trusted as reliable by others.

3.5/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured into 10oz glass. Poured very lively, over 2 inches of fluffy white head that had moderate retention and no lacing. The beer was the cloudy yellow of a Hefe.

There was a solidly noticeable lemon scent at the front of the nose, with some earthy wheat coming in underneath. The lemon didn't come across as boldly on the tongue, it was still solidly present, but blended and balanced sicely with the base wheat beer.

The body was fairly typical for an American Wheat Ale, medium and clean. Drinkability was very good, I could easily see having a sixer of these while hanging out by the Nooksack River during the summer. Overall, a nice little beer. Worth your time.

3.13/5  rDev -0.6%

This beer was served out of a 12oz. bottle dispensed into a glass....

Presentation - Nice festive colorful label.

Appearance - Pours a murky yellow color with a thick 1 finger white foam head that dissipates quickly into a thin foam ring.

Smell - Smells of lemon and citrus notes. Very little actual beer smell.

Taste - Tastes of lemonade and light malts. Not enough beer flavor for me at all.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied and a little fizzy.

Drinkability - This beer has an ok flavor and would probably be very drinkable on a hot summer day.

This was mediocre in my opinion. It did not taste enough like beer for me. I would rather have a cold beer with a slice of lemon, lime, or orange.

3.05/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured out of a 12oz can into a pint glass.

A) It's a rather pleasing cloudy yellow, topped off with a nice inch of white head. The head is gone quickly, no lacing.

S) I've had this summer brew a number of times, and never really considered the smell. I guess that's because it gets consumed quickly right from the can or bottle. Having said all of that, I'm glad I never took a deep whiff, because it immediately reminded me of Lemon Pledge. I don't think beer should smell like something you dust with.

T) Normally smell would be a good indicator, but not in this case. I find the taste to be pretty good. It seems to be light malt and lemon, with an okay finish.

M) It's light, crisp, and highly refreshing.

O) This is a decent brew served ice cold on a summer day. I like it while golfing, right from the can. It gives me the beer confidence I need to sink 6 ft putts, while the 4.2% ABV doesn't turn me into more of a duffer then I already am.

2.8/5  rDev -11.1%

A friend recommended this to me who is a serious beer drinker and really knows his stuff.

It is a cloudy yellow color, more lemonade than beer. Goes down easy.. As a thirst quencher, this really hits the spot on a hot summer day.

As a beer, it is just average. I am not sure you can even call it a beer.

Over all, it is a pretty good summer drink. Makes for a pretty good social lubricant as well.

It is hell of a lot better than Bud Light Lime.

3.18/5  rDev +1%

12oz - > bridgeport pint

A ~ Pours a gritty head that's gone in 60.
Looks like mix between fresca, crystal light, and lemonade. Wierd translucence

S ~ Candied lemons & lemonade...powdered sugar

T ~ Candied lemon peel, the faintest of grains, soda crackers, and artificially flavored lemonade. No weissbeer here, but still pretty refreshing.

M ~ Spritzy and light

D ~ I admit I like this. It's great for the summer. I don't buy it all the time but it's nice and unthreatening plus it it is one of the only shandys on the market

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company