Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007

Reviews: 607 | Hads: 3,354
4.3/5  rDev +38.3%

Pours from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Emerges very hazy and resembles fresh squeezed lemonade with sugar. Slightly bronze but mostly very hazy and lemony.

Aroma matches the title of the beer; fresh lemons. Not much else, but I wasnt expecting much else.

Flavor is lemonade plus beer, just what a shandy is. A bit tart with some sweetness to match the tartness and make this an all around decent shandy.

This is much more convenient that a beer with lemonade added, and if I must say, this isnt bad. It doesnt taste like beer, but it isnt supposed to. A real easy drinker and not a bad "beer" at all.

2.96/5  rDev -4.8%

poured into a pint glass with a nice head that stayed around for a bit.hazy yellow,really smells like they just poured lemonade into a wheat beer,which is what they did i believe.tastes like a beer with lemonade poured into it.overall,i could drink a few of these on a hot summer day.however,this is a bit too sweet for my palate.a good beer to give to BMC fans.

3.45/5  rDev +10.9%

A - Pours a very cloudy golden yellow color with moderate carbonation. Minimal head is white in color and thin, dissipates quickly with little lacing.

S - Interesting smell for a beer, very lemony and sweet. Strangely, there is very little hint of standard beer scents like malts or hops. Though not like a standard beer, there is certainly something there to set it apart from a lemonade.

T - Very refreshing taste with an immediate lemon flavor. The lemon is a little sour and masks some of the wheat in the background. It finishes with some sour notes and a little aftertaste.

M - Very carbonated feel, almost a little harsh when you first take a sip. After the initial feel, the bubbles thin out quickly to reveal a moderate body.

D - Moderately drinkable, especially in the summer. The lemony flavor is very nice but gets a little sour after awhile. Good for a summer seasonal beer.

4.12/5  rDev +32.5%

When evaluating this beer, you must remember the style, and evaluate it accordingly. It's a "Shandy" - a mixture of "lager and lime" - very common and popular in the UK. Having spent some time in the UK, I feel qualified to say it isn't bad - FOR A SHANDY. Although I've been in bars in the US where someone has ordered "half (whatever is on tap) and half Sprite", I think this is an improvement.

2.36/5  rDev -24.1%

A- cloudy like a wheat beer. poured into a weizen glass. great head at first then disappeared quickly.

S- definitely note the lemon

T- reminds me of some household cleaner found under the sink that has some lemon/fruity "hint"

M- not to carbonated. very light

D- very easy to drink. would be considered a "slam" beer if you like the fruitiness.

Overall- I would have to say it still beats a bud light:) this beer fits the "woman beer" category with the low alcohol factor and the watery taste. I guess it would be a decent starter beer to get the ol' gf or wife slowly into the field of better beers.

2.66/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 ounce bottle - $1.49 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours out a clouded, dull yellow body with a smallish, fizzy, white head.

Smell: Perhaps there may be some sweetish malt hints in there, but the nose is substantially made up of sharp scent of Lemon Pledge.

Taste: Light pale and soft wheat malts with a touch of honeyish sweetness with the vaudeville-like lemonade flavoring jumping in at a moments notice. Slightly acidic. Sorely lacking in hop character or bitterness. Finishes crisp and lemony with a thin, sweetish background of malted wheat.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium-plus carbonation.

Drinkability: While I'm not opposed to the idea of beer blended with lemonade, this just has a repellent artificial quality to it. Less Summer Shandy and more of a Summer Shitty. Wait, am I allowed to say that?

3.6/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured into a standard pint glass
Cloudy lemonade color
Aroma-- Faint wheat and lemon zest
Taste--Let me preface this by saying that this beer was consumed after working in the yard on a 95-degree day. Tasted of subtle wheat and definite lemon. Light-bodied and very drinkable and refreshing.(Would have gone great over ice)
Let's face it, this is not a hard-core "big character" beer, but at 4.2ABV on a super hot day you can't go wrong with the "refreshment" aspect and "sessionability" of this beer. Pairs well with extreme humidity and thirst.

2.8/5  rDev -10%

Grabbed this in an attempt to find a good beer to drink on a hot summer day. It is a cloudy yellow color, looks like the typical hefeweizen. The off white head quickly dispersed. The lemon smell over powers any typical beer smell and the taste is almost like drinking lemonade. It's crisp lemony taste is easy to drink, and if you like lemons you'll like the beer. Overall it taste like the typical hefewizen with four or five lemon slices squeezed into it. Decent offering for a hot summer day.

2.12/5  rDev -31.8%

I bought this for my wife who frequently has "lager and lime" at our local pub. I'm afraid she won't like it.

Murky yellowish color with a white head. Seems like the brewer is trying to copy a weiss beer with a lot of yeast but it has no yeast flavor at all.

Smell is entirely of lemons; about like Minute Maid lemonade.

Taste is essentially lemonade with just a tiny bit of hops. Not really unpleasant but not a beer either.

Very fizzy and refreshing mouthfeel, if you like fizzy soft drinks.

Not my preference for even a lawn-mower beverage but I could drink it down.

Leinie seems to be going for the teen-age girl drinkers or women who don't really like beer.

2.02/5  rDev -35%

Appears a hazy golden yellow with a 2 finger thick white head and some light lace. Very pretty beer.

Smells like lemon oil or cheap lemonade. Some sweet wheat/malt fighting its way thru, but this is pure artificial lemon and very un-beerlikee.

This is awful. Take a very light wheat beer and mix in a Sprite with a good squeeze of lemon. There it is.

Well carbonated and light bodied, which was good, because it helped get this beer down. Overall, I drank the pint, but it sucked. Lemon soda with a beer in there somewhere. Avoid this.

3.4/5  rDev +9.3%

This time I had it on tap with sushi.

Cloudy yellow color.

A little banana and wheat with lemony overtones, subtle overall.

Taste is also subtle, the good thing is that the lemonade flavor and wheat beer taste are balanced.

Finishes light and smooth with a slight acidic bite.

Pair with spicy food or a lawnmower and you'll be fine.

2.1/5  rDev -32.5%

Pours a very cloudy yellow color... pretty good to hear, decent lacing on the glass as the beer goes down. Smell is of a fresh made glass of lemonade... nice smell, but reminds me way too much a German Radler (had Radler Brau by Clipper City.. one of the worst 'beers' I've ever had). Taste... is very much Radler like, disappointingly. Very dry in the mouth and in the finish, lemonade taste is just way too present here. Leaves your mouth more thirsty after you finish this beer than before you started.. never a good thing for a beer. On the plus side, it is leaps and bounds ahead of the Paper City beer of a similar style, but definitely nothing I'd ever seek out again and would probably turn down one if offered. Stick with the Sunset Wheat.

2.85/5  rDev -8.4%

After the Berry Weiss, I was very cautious about another fruity selection from Leinenkugels, but I bought the sample pack so I proceeded onwards.

This beer is actually pretty good, (especially in comparison to the Berry Weiss.) The lemonade flavor is subtle and I found it was really nice on a hot day, I felt like I was having a beer which maybe had been garnished with a slice of lemon. No problem!

A - A smooth dirty yellow, with a light white head.

S - Smells like beer, a major advantage. Slight hint of lemon in the scent, but it mostly only smelled like beer, mostly.

T - Tasted like a beer that you wouldn't buy all the time, but the girl working at the dock likes it so you order it, and she sticks a slice of lemon on there and slips you her number after you fix her shirt tag, which was sticking out. Then you wake up in your lawn chair and you've got no number and no lemon slice, but its hot and this beer is keeping you pretty cool.

M - smooth, no acidity from lemon or otherwise, very cool and refreshing.

D - smooth, tasty, not too sweet or sour from the lemon, easy drinking. A step up from mikes hard lemonade, somewhere in between mikes and a real beer.

Overall - not bad, I drank all 3 from the sampler while the other two berry weiss lie in wait for some sucker to try.

3.28/5  rDev +5.5%

A: nice murky yellow, with a white fizzy head that starts ok, but then fades to just around the sides, not a good lacing

S: very aromatic lemonade smell, like a mikes hard or something of the sort, its a bit over powering, can't really even smell the beer.

T: very lemonady start that finishes with a grainy taste

M: pretty good mouthfeel, not too carbonated, but quite thin.

D: very easy to drink and relax to.

Notes: would really consided this a "true beer" per say. would be a good choice to enjoy with a co-ed group of friends out in the sun.

2.97/5  rDev -4.5%

After a hard day of work I decided to raid the my dads cooler in his boat for an Icy cold one. I was expecting busch or miller lite or high life but to my surprise I found glass longnecks. I was puzzled but I grabbed one and my favorite beer glass to give this a try. This is my first Leinenkugel Product to try

Appearance: Lemony yellow (duh) I poured vigorously and got a decent head but it quickly faded into a slick on the top. Not much lacing but I wasn't expecting it to have much.

Smell: Lemon and more lemon. I got a slight smell of some thing wheaty but not much

Taste: Tastes like beer flavored lemonade. Not much of a beer taste in there. It is refreshing though so it has that in its favor.

Mouthfeel: Not much there, it is kind of foamy but doesn't feel like I am drinking a beer. It isn't an offensive feel but it is not on par with what I call beer.

Drinkability: It is smooth for sure. I am sure on a hot day when I don't want to drink one of my heavy imports I might reach for one of these, unless I am craving a BEER then I will grab a BEER. Just kidding it is ok but I wouldn't drink it around my buddies. My GF might like it though.

Overall it is not an offensive drink. It is still refreshing and tasty but it doesn't give me the feeling of beer. I am pretty impressed with this company for doing something a little differerent. I am never a fan of flavored beer myself but out of all the ones I have tried this is probably the best one.

3.05/5  rDev -1.9%

A - Hazy pale straw color with two-finger head that fades somewhat quickly and leaves minimal lacing.

S - Lemon, lemon, and more lemon. "Beer with natural lemonade flavor" it says on the bottle. They're not kidding.

T - Wouldn't you know it - lemon. Can't really pick up much else in the way of taste. It's not offensive, mind you, just a little overwhelming with all the lemon.

M - Light bodied, not overly carbonated.

D - Rather refreshing on a hot summer day; I could easily knock back a few of these.

3.16/5  rDev +1.6%

I remember this being better last summer. It's not you, it's me.

Large white head atop an opaque yellow creamsicle looking beer. Yeasty lemon with sweet graham cracker malt. Hints of a tropical citrus Belgium.

Lemonade, light grain with a sweaty finish. Yup, sweaty.

Good beach beer; should come in cans.

2.81/5  rDev -9.6%

App- is light gold murky in the middle

Smells like lemon and a lot of it at that

Taste is a strong lemon bite with a bit of a crisp dry finish at the end, personally I don't care for the taste the lemon is just too obnoxious to me.

MF- nice and smooth, good for summer time relaxation slight carbonation and citrus invades the toungue.

Drinkability- It's ok not that drinkable because I don't care for the taste, give me gumballhead anyday over this.

1.99/5  rDev -36%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Ap. Very cloudy golden yellow color with small head that went away quickly. Some nice lacing.
Sm. Crisp strong lemon smell.
Ta. Lemony start to finish. Tastes like liquid lemon drops (the hard candy). Sort of a chemical after taste. Not so good.
Mf. Minimal carbonation, light.
Dr. Let's just say I'm sorry I bought a six-pack instead of a single. If you like the flavor, it would go down very easily.

4.15/5  rDev +33.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a cloudy yellow color with a little head and good lacing to follow. The overall smell is of lemons with some wheat beer characteristics. The overall taste is lemonade. The lemonade however isn't over powering like the berry weis is. The mouthfeel is dry and not overly carbonated. The overall drinkability is very high, you could have about 12 of these without knowing. Very refreshing.

2.9/5  rDev -6.8%

poured into pint glass

A- cloudy yellow. head quickly disappeared. lacing sticks to glass nicely.Little to no carbonation.

S- Sweet blend of wheat and fresh lemonade. However it kind of reminds me of a Bud Light Lime or some other low quality fruit infused beer.

T- Pretty tasty. Initial lemon pow followed by even more lemon. Aftertaste is surprisingly... lemon!

M- Very easy going down. No carbonation on tongue with nothing but lemon aftertaste left in mouth.

D- I find this beer to taste more like a "bitch drink"(excuse the language) however it is easy to drink and on a weekend like the 4th of July I might end up with several in my belly. I wouldn't rush out to the store to buy more though.

2.62/5  rDev -15.8%

a- bottle poured into a pint, half finger bubbly head, minimal lacing, hazy light yellow coloring, looks almost like a kicked up lemonade.

s- lemon right off, little wheat, flowery.

t- bittery lemony taste, another sip in the taste is more like 'fake lemonade' didn't do much for me, soury finish, not much wheat considering it's an apwa.

m- zesty, little thin.

d- wasn't a real fan, i got a little too much fake lemonade flavoring out of it, probably wouldn't have another.

3.35/5  rDev +7.7%

Picked up a 6pack of this today.

Appearance is cloudy and light yellow in color.

Smell is pretty overwhelmingly sweet lemon.

Taste has lots of lemon up front, but fades quickly nice balance of tart/sweetness. Really does taste a lot like lemonade. So if you like lemonade you will probably enjoy this beer.

Mouthfeel has low carb. balanced finish.

Drinkability is pretty good. it's slightly more lemony than I prefer, but it's not to bad..on a nice hot summer day it's perfect.

3.92/5  rDev +26%

12 Ounce brown bottle

Appearance: Cloudy light yellow color with moderate head

Smell: Maybe not particularly beer smelling but it has a great lemon smell. It is the smell of a really flavorful lemonade and just gives a great summer feeling

Taste: The flavor is less lemonade -ey then the smell which actually makes it a lot better. If you expect it to taste like a Mike's, it will not be what you expected. On the other hand there is a light beer flavor that mixes with the lemonade but is not very strong

Note: This is a really good beverage but it is a little hard to consider it wheat beer because there is very little wheat beer flavors (fruity but lacks the variety of fruit flavors). But I have never actually made a Shandy before but I feel this would be a good representation of it (very refreshing)

3.63/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a chilled pint glass

Poured a light golden color with a moderate head, minimum lacing but was still noticeable.

Smell - Lemonade, right off the bat. That was the first scent that I picked up. Almost reminded me of a Mike's Hard Lemonade malt beverage.

Taste - Very heavy with the lemon, with very slight - and I mean slight hops taste near the end. Just enough to remind you that it's still a beer.

Mouthfeel - I found the carbonation to really make this one. If it didn't have it, It would be weaker. This was a level above water feeling.

Drinkability - this would make for a last minute, end of a hot summer day session beer. Nothing really great about it other than the lemon flavor, if that is what you find to be really refreshing. There's better summer beers out there.

I wanted to revist this beer after some time has passed and clearly my palate/likes have changed it a bit. This is a perfect beer for a hot summer day, working in the yard or a solid bbq beer. Great example of a refreshing lawn mower beer and I'll be drinking these a lot this summer. Does it live up to being a Shandy, hell yeah it does. And it does it well.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company