Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Added by jj21 on 03-23-2007

Reviews: 613 | Ratings: 3,426
1.2/5  rDev -61.4%

This. was. terrible.

Beer shouldn't taste like lemonade. I'm not even going to bother with the five classic categories, as I'm not convinced this is beer and deserves that level of respect. It smells of lemons, it tastes like lemons, and it's like drinking carbonated lemonaid. Bad lemonaid.

At some point in the brewing process, didn't someone raise their hand and say: "this is a bad, bad product"?

3.45/5  rDev +10.9%

OK, call me a girl (I am)...but this is actually ok for hot summer nights. It's got a relatively low alcohol content (4.2%) so it's also a nice session beer for tailgating a Brewers game and grilling out, when you're going to be drinking beer for a while, but don't want your head to explode the next morning. It goes down a little too easily. A little bland with the carbonation. Overly-homogeneous look.
It does have a very overwhelming "artificial flavor" taste and smell to it. I believe what this is based on is a German tradition of spiking a weissbier with lemonade during the dog-days of summer.
I was really into this beer last summer, but now that I've been trying so many new good beers as well as eating more organic and non-artificial foods, I'm kinda over it. I'll just get a good weiss and put some lemonade in it if I want to experience the "real thing".
I'd say try it for sh!ts and giggles, but if you insist on really substantial beers, this won't be your cup of tea. At all.

2.45/5  rDev -21.2%

Pours a cloudy piss yellow colour that essentially looks like, well, a bit darker version of your typical lemonade. Eh.

The aroma is overpowered by an abundance of lemon. It's all lemon all the time. I got nothing else.

The flavour is more of the same: it's basically like drinking a glass of lemonade. I don't detect any hops, malt, wheat, etc. Just a lot of lemonade. This is a beer, isn't it? Mouthfeel is light, crisp and refreshing, but not very beer-like.

If I wanted a damn lemonade I'd drink one. I wanted and was expecting a beer, and that's not what I got. I assume this is what those Hard Lemonade things taste like, and if so I don't know how people can consistently drink them. I enjoy the Leine Sunset Wheat. I was not at all happy with this one. Don't bother.

2.5/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a cloudy yellow with dense fast fading white head and spotty lacing. Smell: lemonade. Taste: highly carbonated lemonade with a touch of wheat. Mouthfeel: carbonated lemonade. There's not much here to suggest that this is a beer rather than a less sweet malternative. Doesn't stand up to other pale wheats I've tried, even though this is certainly refreshing.

3.32/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A pale, anemic-looking yellow color with a medium-sized white head. It had a citrus aroma, which seemed mainly lemon. Definite lemon taste, tiny bit sour. Fairly pleasant. I might have liked it more if I had been drinking it on a hot summer day, rather than the cold gray day that was present at the time.

3.08/5  rDev -1%

Bottle to plastic cup.

A: cloudy yellow color, swirls of thin white head on the top
S: lemonade, alcohol
T: watery lemonade with a weird alcohol taste
M: great, no bite or blandness, different aftertaste, kind of weird
D: so-so, it was a cold night but I could bet that if it were a hot day it would go down so smooth

4.1/5  rDev +31.8%

Pours a great golden straw color, with a nice bit of head and great lacing for a wheat beer. Wonderful scent, a nice wheat/straw aroma with a strong lemon/lemonade scent (the lemon is a bit too strong, I wish the wheat came out just a little more). It has a great mixed flavor, a nice wheat beer with a huge lemonade hit (again, just a bit less lemon and a bit more wheat would've been excellent). It goes down exceptionally smooth, it would be horribly easy to drink a few of these while mowing the yard. A nice shandy. It's not a great pale wheat ale, but it is a great wheat ale with lemon/lemonade.

2.48/5  rDev -20.3%

I've got mixed feelings about this.

Color: Whitish, pale color, much like the color of lemonade.

Aroma: Strong but nice lemon wheat aroma. Seems more like carbonated lemonade than beer.

Taste: Lemon upfront that fades to a bitter wheat taste. Very much like bitter, unsweetened lemonade. Light. Somewhat refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Dry and sour at the same time. Unappealing.

Verdict: I really don't like this much. The aroma was nice but it goes downwards after that.

3.92/5  rDev +26%

S = This had the aroma of a box of "Lemon Heads" candy.

T = The taste was more restrained than the smell. It actually tasted as if I'd eaten a lemon biscuit. There was no bitterness at all and the finish, again, left a lemon bread taste.

MF = There was moderate carbonation, but I felt it was a little thin.

Overall, I enjoyed this beer. It would make a great summer grass cutting brew.

3.41/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance-It is a very bright shade of yellow but at the time the body is cloudy. A thin head formed with a lace that was spread out.

Smell- It smelled of lemon soda. As it should if it is to be like a real shandy.

Taste- I personally would have liked a little more beer taste than this shandy had. It still wasn't bad

Mouthfeel- Thin.

Drinkability- A good mixed crowd party beer.

2.4/5  rDev -22.8%

Smells like the bottled lemon juice that comes in the yellow bottles in the grocery store, or in other words, kind of artificial, and not like beer at all. It also looks pale and sickly, like watery lemonade. Taste is very much lemonade like, and more so than beer. Granted this is not a good beer, nor , but it is easy to drink and summery.

2.33/5  rDev -25.1%

A: A very odd, cloudy yellow with almost no head and no lace.
S: Take lemonade and add some beer. That is just what this beer smells like.
T: There is not much here but a lemonade zest and alcohol.
M/D: Light, watery and over carbonated. Easy drinking summer beer.

This is an odd beer. It is more like Mikes Hard Lemonade than a beer. Not something I will ever get again.

3.17/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a darkish cloudy yellow, which doesn't look that appealing, with decent head

Smells pretty much exactly like Country Time Lemonade

Tastes predominately like Country Time Lemonade as well, then kind of fades to a Honey Weiss-like vague beer flavor. Lacking complexity.

Mouthfeel is incredibly light. Which is all right, considering what this beer is trying to be I guess.

I guess I have mixed feelings about this one. This is drinkable, but not very beerlike. More like Smirnoff Ice or Mike's Hard Lemonade. I think this succeeds in being what it is, although I can see how many people here could be turned off. A glass of half lemonade and half Honey Weiss could quite probably produce a similar product.

In the Leine's fruity beer category, I still prefer the Sunset Wheat.

3.35/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance: hazy pale yellow color, reminiscent of pear juice, with a small white head, and thin, glass-coating lace.

Aroma: Sharply tart lemon aroma, like unsweetened lemonade, or freshly cut, juicy lemon rind, an aroma so tangible, it seems to be felt as well as smelled.

Taste: Opens with a sharp lemon rind note, and some spicy wheat notes. Midway through the taste, a fairly sharp bitterness appears. Finishes with a lingering bitter lemon note.

Mouth feel: Aggressive, stinging carbonation, and a fairly full body.

Drinkability/notes: Refreshing, but seems like a malternative masquerading as a beer. Still, quite refreshing on a scorching summer day, and could be used to pique the interest of a macro beer drinker.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve-ounce brown glass longneck bottle with a twist-off crown, served in a standard pint tap glass.

2.46/5  rDev -20.9%

color looks like lemonade mixed with ice tea; sort of a golden hue with a brown tint to it..not particularly appetizing; has a nice crisp and fresh lemony smell but more like a lemonade smell than something i would associate with a beer; sort of tastes like a mike's lemonade but with less carbonation; yet i still think that is over carbonated; because of the carbonation it also has an odd feel in the mouth; very acidic and can really feel the bubbles on your tongue; almost like if you were to drink a soda...overall not too bad yet nothing special; i could see this as a beer to bring out at a summer party as it is not too complex, would probably be appeasing to most people and a little different than the normal macro brews

3.75/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

This was hands-down my favorite new beer of the summer. . . and I'm sure it will be a staple of mine next summer, god willing they brew it again.

It pours a bit more yellow than your average pale beer, and obviously smells of lemons. I consider it to smell like a sugary sweet lemon, almost similar to a kitchen cleaner of some sort.

The taste really is what it says: Half beer half lemonade. That may not sound too great, but wow it is the most refreshing drink to have on a hot summer day. Some of my friends loved it, others hated it. Its really hit or miss with this one. With me its a hit. By taste alone I would think they actually did just mix a normal beer with minute maid lemonade, but it still has a reasonable abv, making me believe that is not the case.

All i know is that I like it and I will buy it again next year. From my experience, it is much better on-tap than from the bottle, but suitable either way. For me, this is one of those beers that you like so much and your so confident that people who dont even like craft beer, or beer at all, will actually enjoy it- so you stock up and hand it out.

My summer refreshment can be summed up right here with this one. . . and at a nice low price!

2.22/5  rDev -28.6%

On tap at Easy Street Cafe in Toledo. Murky bright yellow color with a nil white head that looks a little too similar to a glass of lemonade. Very little lacing. Aroma of Lemon Pledge and hops. Light-bodied and fizzy with a taste like...lemonade beer. Lemons and grassy hops are really all there is to this beer. The finish is citrusy and mercifully short. Not for me.

2.17/5  rDev -30.2%

Ugh.

Pours cloudy, attractive yellow, with a nice white head.

Hmm, smells OK, lemon, of course.

Taste, well, nothing but lemon pledge, or lemon cleaner. Just about the most discusting beer I have had in a long time. Can't find anything good except it poured down the drain, making it smell nice.

3.07/5  rDev -1.3%

a: pours a cloudy (about half as cloudy as a hefe) yellow color with about a half inch of head that dissapears fast leaving a very slight amount of lacing around the edge of the glass
s: lemonade with wheat malts and low hop bitterness in aroma. my initial impression is that it is just the honey weiss mixed with lemonade
t: starts as lemonade, almost as if the lemonade and beer parts had seperated. towards the finish there is a strong yeasty flavor that reminds me alot of honey weiss
m: light to medium bodied with a lot of carbonation

overall, to me this is too sweet, i cant get over how much this beer reminds me of honey weiss

3.15/5  rDev +1.3%

I was stuck at a wedding and many receptions and parties and stopped and got some of this at the grocery store because it looked to be a decent alternitave to lagers, I was disappointed. This was to much like a malternative to me. The hallmark banana flavor was overpowering and overall the beer just didn't have much balance between the fruitiness of the wheat and hops to cut the sweets..It was ok but I only had two bottles and switched to Yeugnling.

3.15/5  rDev +1.3%

The beer pours a cloudy pale gold color with a thick frothy white head that quickly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a light pale wheat scent along with a citrusy lemon zest. The taste is average. It has a very light wheat flavor. It's a bit watery and is covered up with a lame lemon essence. The lemon flavor is weak and doesn't lend itself well to the rest of the palate. The mouthfeel is average as well. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is not a very good seasonal at all. It should have more lemon flavor as well as more malt content. This comes across as a weak wheat ale with an even weaker lemon content.

3.1/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a light yellow, mostly opaque, with a skim of white head on top. Nose is strong on lemon, a touch of wheat. Taste is likewise - this one's nearly lemonade it's so overwhelmingly lemon. Less wheat than the flavor. I guess a hint of spice, although that might be being generous. Body is medium, solid carbonation. This one's about what you'd expect; a simple, overwhelming flavor. I guess I could throw back a bunch if I needed to.

2.62/5  rDev -15.8%

Bottle Inspection: Weiss beer with lemon, 4.2% abv.

Aroma: Lemon pulp, bright and fresh, and a candy soda like Sprite. Lemon is really nice, and a mineral water background.

Appearance: Very hazy yellow glass with a thin frothy white head that gives loopy lace.

Flavor: What should be a refreshing light lemon drink quickly turns over to a worty sweet flavor with a white doughy bread yeast finish that tastes like Bud.

Mouthfeel: Light body, heavy carbonation, clean finish, not rough like wheat normally is.

Overall Impression: Be a malternative already! I love lemon and this just doesn’t work. I don’t like everything that’s not lemon in this beer. Maybe a different beer base would help, the Weiss isn’t doing it.

Thanks to Pegasus for the sample

2.27/5  rDev -27%

Thanks to genog for this gem of a bonus. Pours a cloudy and murky light urine color with a slight head that dies quick and doesnt lace. Smells of a lemon cough lozenge. Tastes like the powdered vitamin pack Emergen-C in tap water. Tangy, highly carbonated but doesnt hide a thing. Light in the mouth. Tastes between lemonade and theraflu. Had to choke this down but should have poured it out. If you like lemon jolly ranchers in zima, this is your brew.

2.31/5  rDev -25.7%

This 12 oz bottle pours a cloudy yellow color that is clear visibility through it. Smell is weak in every aroma. I can smell a bit of lemon, and a small bit of the weiss part of spices. Taste is at first a carbonated weiss beer with lemon, and spices but then the faint, watered down taste of lemonade pops into the senses. Not really a very welcome taste when I am trying to drink a hefeweizen. I will say the crisp carbonation is refreshing on a hot day, but the beer is not my favorite. Weak in all aspects except the crisp refreshing carbonation.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company