Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

3.27/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This is what it is:

Beer and Lemonade.

I personally wish it went a little more toward the lemon side. I have a soft spot in my heart for fruit beers, a fresh strawberry lager and raspberry porter being my introduction to the style.

This is a great session beer for a summer day. It's light and refreshing.

I'll skip the usual deep analysis: You'll taste wheat and lemonade. It's good.

Definitely take it easy, as you can down 3-4 without even knowing you consumed them. (474 characters)

3.17/5  rDev +1.6%

Appearance: A yellow golden color that is not completely clear. Very small and thin head.

Smell: Clear lemon smell with a slight floral scent. Overall, I really smell the lemons mainly.

Taste: Very tart and refreshing beer. Has a sweet lemon taste and is enjoyable as a summer beer. Pretty decent beer but I feel like this is almost a beer made for non beer drinkers.

Overall: It is a fun beer to drink during the summer due to how refreshing and light it is. I would not be able to drink a lot of it but having a bottle every once in a while I can see myself doing. (572 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -4.2%

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy 6pk bottles $8.99(OH)

12 oz brown bottle poured into a stemless white wine glass. Freshness date painted on bottle neck.

Pours a hazy yellow color. A two finger white head that fizzles away pretty quickly. Leaving little to no lacing.

The aroma is wheaty, and lots of lemons with a touch of honey. The lemon smell is clean, doesn't smell fake or pectin based.

Taste follows the nose. A light wheaty taste, followed by a splash of lemons with a light touch of honey. Good and refreshing.

Mouth feel is light but not watery. Crisp, well carbonated and a light lemon tang will stick around for a while. Not too dry and not a tad bit bitter.

Overall not bad, just not my type of beer. Its crisp, clean and refreshing and i bet better on a hot summer day. However its mid April, not summer and this is already released? Whats next Oktoberfest in August? Anyway back on point, Hot day or not i would rather have a traditional Hefe over this any day. (978 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +40.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a light head, amber colored - aroma has a definite lemon smell.

Undertones of the wheat base but a crisp lemon after-taste. Not over-powering; doesn't linger long. Not too fruity as some of these beers can be. Leinies got this one right. Best served ice-cold. (266 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle dated NOV1113 at cellar temp into goblet
Aroma lemony
Head average (3 cm), white, creamy, fully diminishing
Body bright yellow, cloudy
Flavor has lemon overtones, no malt, no diacetyl, ends quickly
Body is light, watery, carbonation lively.

Maybe colder or fresher (gift from someone who doesn't know beer) would have helped, but still not a bad beer. I think I like the orange variety better. (401 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +38.5%

This is a novices beer review: Its currently my perfect summer boat beer. Light and refreshing, and whats better than lemonade on a hot day? How about a lemonade beer?

I am sure as I get more into tasting and knowing the complexities of beer I will look back and laugh. (271 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy is brewed in the style of a Shandy beer, roughly half lemonade, half ale, traditionally a shandy uses mild British ales, whereas the German equivalent is a Radler. While there is no label information, this beer is arguably one of Leinenkugel's biggest recent successes, creating several spin-off shandy flavor options (and likely even more to come). Available as a Summer release seasonal in bottles, cans and on draft.

Poured into a Leinenkugel's Pint glass. Served at 52º Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a crisp frothy clean cream white head over a very hazy and murky pale yellow body. Head retention is slightly above average- a fair bit better than average for Leinenkugel. Lacing is medium-light and patchy. Carbonation is busy and plentiful through the heavy haze. I can see where it comes closest to a Weissbier by appearance but still doesn't quite match the visual grandeur of purely wheat-based ales. 3.75

(Smell) There's no doubting lemonade comes into serious play in this drink, although it's more of a sweeter country-style lemonade, not the tart, sunny and light heavy drinking lemonade you can make from scratch. I did not find the lemon aroma harsh enough to compare to Lysol or Pledge, but I can understand the resemblance. It doesn't balance out fantastically in the aroma, a mild malty base is thoroughly overshadowed, and any hop bitterness or body is tough to find. Very much a hybrid drink of a beer- any subtleties of a weissbier are far overshadowed by the lemonade, and the end result isn't far from smelling of a Mike's Hard Lemonade or your choice lemon-based wine cooler. 3

(Taste) Mild pale wheat malt background with a substantial amount of light, tart lemonade character. Like the aroma suggested, the drink is only half a beer at the very most, and the wheat base is overshadowed, although quite easier to discern than in the aroma. The balance isn't ideal, but the style wouldn't suggest any higher expectations. If you can't decide between a lemonade and a wheat beer, but like lemonade ever-so-slightly more, this may be a fair option. Although this is my only Shandy review to date, I really can't knock it much as it is quite drinkable and enjoyable for what it is. 3.5

(Mouthfeel) Light malt, moderately acidic lemon juice and a slick, soft body. Carbonation does add some zest to the tongue. The body is medium for the style, light/medium overall. Alcohol presence is very low, concealed well by the lemons and the acidity. Overall it's a bit light on the body and texture for the weissbier crowd but lemonade isn't usually carbonated and does quite fine this time around, so I suppose it's a fair balance. 3.5

(Overall) I'd prefer a weiss bier that's wheat-malt forward with lemon subtleties any day over a Lemon Shandy, but I'm not too likely to overly criticize this for what it is. If you've never dabbled in the style before it might be worth seeking out but otherwise know that this is a fairly average choice amongst Shandy beer, and doesn't stand out in the craft beer crowd regardless of the style. 3.5

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company's
Summer Shandy
3.41/5.00 (3,148 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -18.9%

A - pale, cloudy yellow body topped with a creamy white head, decent retention, no lacing
S - lemonade, wheat, yeast, biscuit
T - sweet and tart, artificial lemonade, wheat, biscuit, yeast
M - thin and watery, high carbonation, refreshing finish brings you back for more on a hot day
O - I'm not crazy over this by any means, but it does serve its purpose on a hot day. I'll drink it if it's around but I wouldn't buy it unless someone was requesting it. (454 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Appearance:
It appears to be... lemonade! A bright yellow hue is applied to an opaque body with a thin, white head. Retention is horrible. No lacing. Plenty of carbonation.

Aroma:
An almost overwhelming amount of lemon. I get a heaping helping of fresh and artificial lemon... and that's it. Nothing else.

Taste:
Honestly, it's not good... BUT it's refreshing! There is nothing here to tell me "hey, I'm a beer!" It would be better served as a Smirnoff Ice product. Kool-aid comes to mind.

Mouthfeel:
Incredibly light, crisp and refreshing! Lots of carbonation and a nice sweetness that is not overpowering. Easy to drink.

Overall:
I have a hard time calling this a beer as there is nothing here that resembles a beer, or at least what I consider beer. That said, I enjoy it... A bit of a guilty pleasure if you will. Easy to drink and thirst-quenching. Definitely a good beverage for a hot, summer day. (908 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +27.2%

This is a great crisp light body summer Ale. Cool refreshing Lemony beer to enjoy at the end of a summer day. This is my go to beer great cook outs and camping. It pours with a nice head and great carbonation. This beer makes it really feel like summer is here. (261 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a kool-aide yellow color.

It's like a Tecate mixed with lemonade.

This smells like lemonade.

Tastes like… lemonade.

Sharp, crisp and refreshingly so. But the lemonade sweetness dominates whatever beer was in this. Still… Say what you will. Y

es, I know it’s from the majors, and it’s a shandy. But it was tasty and I didn’t feel dirty after drinking it and liking it, the way I thought I would have. (424 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Cloudy yellow colored beer with a tall white colored head. Looks like wheat beer mixed with lemonade which is pretty much what this is.

Smells strongly of lemonade and less strongly roasted grain and faint herbal hop. Soda cracker malt scent.

Starts out mildly sweet with mainly a lemon flavor and a toasted whet after taste. Tastes like lemonade and beer. Needless to say not really a traditional beer.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall an inoffensive drink. Guess it works as a thirst quencher. (491 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -43.6%

Although there us a little maltiness detectable in this product, the predominant taste is much like cheap lemonade manufactured with reconstituted lemon juice. The alcohol content is so low, you can get much tastier summer refreshment by drinking good lemonade and adding alcohol of your choice. Dion't waste your money on this product. (336 characters)

3.22/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Had straight from the can at suite in Comerica..

My sister told me before opening it up that it really just smells like lemonade, and that's basically right. There's definitely some adjuncty sorts of aromas in the background, but there's a distinct lemon smell. It's alright. I don't like to really smell adjunct lagers, but the lemonade makes this fairly pleasing.

Taste/feel: First sip was almost all lemonade again. As I continued to drink it, the cheap-taste bursted through. I have no idea if there even ARE adjuncts in this beer, but it smells and tastes like it to me. This beer's unoffensive, and would be easy to drink a few of. I wouldn't so much want to just sip on this at a bar or at home, but this worked at a Tiger game, and would no doubt be satisfying after a hot, sweaty day outside.

This is about what I expected from this beer. It's decent, but there's nothing special about it... there's a time and place for Summer Shandy. (947 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy yellow. Looks like a cough drop. Half finger head. No retention.

This beer smells like a fart to me. A little bit of lemon and grass. Like you shoved a lemon up your ass and shit it back out.

Taste is not much better. Artificial lemon. Grass. Rotten grain. Very poor beer.

Mouthfeel is okay. Watery. High carbonation. Meh.

This beer is pretty gross. Wouldn't seek out. (389 characters)

3.36/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

12 ounce bottle poured into a shaker style glass.

Appearance: Very cloudy, hazy dull yellow. So cloudy you can not see through it. White foam with a disappearing head however leaving nice lacing all the way down.

Aroma: Vanilla, lemon, lime and citrusy.

Taste: Citrusy. With me it was mostly lime on top with lemon in the background.

Palate: Smooth, creamy and medium bodied. Has a nice lingering sweet bite.

Over all: I am not a fan of these fruity summer beers. To be fair I had a 6 pack of these over a few days to give a review. The first one to me was horrible. The next not so bad. After finishing the pack this is really a refreshing summer drink. If you are looking for something with bold hops or really malty do not expect that with this beer. But it is definitely worth a try and you will enjoy it on a hot summer day. (835 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Would I buy this beer normally? Probably not, but I usually pick up "Mystery Boxes" of beer. The price is right @ 16.95 for a case of 24 beers at Bevmo. This beer happened to be in the box, and it wasn't bad. It's drinkable, because it's heavy with lemonade. This is a beer for the ladies, easy to drink.

It tastes like candy, the artificial lemon tasted isn't there for me. It tasted more like lemonade. I do taste some wheat in this beer, but the lemon is dominant in this beer. I would pick this beer up in the summer on a hot day. Sometimes you can't judge a book by it's cover. This beer isn't like a Bud Light Lime, or something of that nature. (652 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +35.9%

Ok first thing is first. I'm a slut for a good shandy, and I was already a little buzzed at a baseball game.
But I gotta tell ya, if you like lemony and beer this is a marriage that works.
Poured nicely with that rich golden lemon color.
The smell is fantastic, very summery.
Goes down smooth and finishes sweet. Overall a very good beer.
Unfortunate its not getting much love on this review page. (397 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

From a 355 ml bottle (best by November 4, 2013) into a mug.

A-A normal pour produces a milky, yellow brew with tan highlights. The brew has a thin white head to start, but it drops immediately to a collar.

S-The brew smells like Country Time lemonade mix, a mildly tart, fake-smelling lemon and sugar concoction. There is also a bit of wet wheat and spice, but not much else to suggest this is a beer.

T-The taste is also artificial lemon, with a bit of candy tartness/sweetness. There is a bit of cracker malt in here and some grain. Bleh.

M-The feel is thin with soda-pop like carbonation and very little substance.

O-I grabbed this beer as a sort-of palate cleanser before heading out for dinner. Oops. I suppose the palate cleansing was accomplished but at the cost of a few hundred calories that I didn't really enjoy. This brew is kinda ugly, fake smelling and tasting, and generally not very good. Buyer beware. (927 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -1.3%

Served in a pint.

A: Pours a cloudy, light, ricola lemon mint herb color with a 1/4 inch white head that dissipates fast leaving minimal lacing.

S: Smells of wheat, grains, grass, lemons predominate, smells kind of medicinal and like artificial sweeteners

T: Flavors are pretty faint, slightly lemonish, grains, grassy, meh

M: light body with lots of carbonation, lacking taste

O: Meh, this is alright. Good for sitting out in the hot sun like I am right now but you know, theres not much going on here, I can hardly taste any lemon. Great for berberques and all but I'd probably be better off making my own shandy's. (624 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +23.4%

Refreshing. Really easy to drink. Doesn't taste like beer, and doesn't taste like alcohol. Mostly a natural lemon drink with bubbles. Honestly I could drink an even more lemon-ey drink in higher ABV like this kind of style, but this tastes excellent and with no bitterness (272 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy was a refreshing and bold surprise. I had it indoors, but I think it would have truly and really hit the spot if I had had it outdoors on a hot night. Although cloudy to the eye, it is an appealing shade of yellow with some lacing. Not only can you distinctly taste the lemonade-like flavor to the beer, but you could smell it - which is a plus to me. It was a little too carbonated for my taste, but overall I really enjoyed it and will look for it again. (484 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Appearance: Cloudy, light orangish yellow.
Smell: Lemonade; Lemonheads.
Taste: Lemon, citrus.
Mouthfeel: Light carbonation.

Well, you could have handed me this in a can and I would have had no clue that it was a beer and not just a lemon citrus pop...which I'm sure is going to yield some rough ratings and reviews on here. However, to me, if it's a hot day, I'd take this in a heartbeat. It's very refreshing. I won't go out of my way to buy it, but if I can get it for cheap, count me in for a pack. (503 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a pale straw color with a finger of head that dissipated quickly. The lemon in the nose is quite potent. Light wheat flavor with the definite infusion of lemons. The finish is nicely dry but refreshing. This offering is perfect for a sweltering summer day.

An added plus is that it is union made by my brothers and sisters in the UAW. (341 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -9.6%

There is only one way to drink this. Buy a 6 pack and put in the back of your fridge. After spending that 95 degree day out doing yard work, make it the first thing you drink. The light lemony flavor goes down smooth and easy. It's so refreshing you may even want to have one more.

Then go back to your favorite beer for the rest of the day, saving the other Summer Shandys for the next heat wave.

As a beer I give a 2.5 rating. As lemonade I'll rate it a 2. Put them together it's a 4.5.
Just don't order it at your neighborhood bar - you will be disappointed. Unless that's where you go when your hot and sweaty. (617 characters)

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company