Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007

Reviews: 597 | Hads: 3,263

This a great drank ! An A rating for sure, this not a beer but this type of beer usually has mixed with citrus-flavor, lemonade, cider . It is great on hot summer days, Laying on the beach, boating if you are not driving.If you are looking for IPA, pilsner, or sout this beer is not for you.

Appearance is a yellow, orange . The head is retains well.

Smells : lemons, and a some bit of malt and hops

TAste: It taste like lmeons malts and hops. It is very nice balce to it.

Mouthfeel: Is has a great mouthfeel . It is on the light side of medium.

Overall: A great beer to refresh your mouth on a summer day . I am glad six pack of this last night. I will be buying more of this beer in future. Ths is a grea beer! (720 characters)

Amazing summer beer. Tastes extremely sweet and smooth. It gets a little hard to drink after a few beers because of how sweet it is though. I would recommend eating something salty with it to balance the sweetness. (217 characters)

A+. Hands down. I don't understand why this beer is getting such bad reviews from other users. Here is the way I look at the Shandy: it is not a "beer" per say, but a delicious flavored beverage that goes hand-in-hand with hot summer days, laying on the beach, going out on the boat, or sitting around a bonfire on the back deck on a late July night. Now if I am looking for an actual "beer", than I am not going for the Shandy. That is the point - the Shandy is a beer made perfect for specific conditions. It is extremely easy to drink, so it's a good session beer. The color is perfect for summer - a nice cloudy yellow with a white foam head. It has a sweetness to it, so I can totally see how that may turn off some of the other reviewers. Great for BBQ's and lazy summer days. (782 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +57.2%

Great summer beer but only in small quantities. As described it is very lemony. You get a lot more lemon than beer, but still a great combination for the summer! The wheat off sets it enough to let the title of beer remain. Hey, if you like lemonade and beer give this a try. I also recommend pouring this in a glass and adding a real lemon wedge and circling the rim of the glass then putting it right in the beer. (415 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +55.9%

Look: your basic hazy light yellow color
Smell: deliciously citrusy LEMON
Taste: lemony, citrusy, light, crisp refreshing
Aftertaste: just a crisp SLIGHT pucker from the lemon
Overall: I actually love this beer it's one of my favorite summer time beers. It's light and crisp and refreshing and good either out of the bottle or from the tap. (341 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +54.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

I just tried this beer for the first time love the taste; flavor was wonderful. The smell reminded me of drinking lemonade when I was a kid.It had a smooth taste and was not over powering. this is one of my new favorites now will definitely be purchasingover and over again (273 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +51.8%

A- Has a very cloudy, pale, yellow color with a foamy head to it.

S- Strong smell of lemons and wheat.

T- When they say brewed with lemonade Leinenkugels means it. Strong lemon start with a wheat beer finish, very enjoyable.

M- Smooth and quite refreshing actually a nice thirst quencher.

O- Easily drinkable, great taste, wish it was available year round. Perfect beer for summer. I've had it tap, bottle, and can equally enjoyable each time. (448 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +51.8%

What a wonderful beer for summer. The appearance is wonder. The smell is exceptional. Taste is so wonderful. Very Lemonony and beer taste rolled into one. Mouthful is the same. Drinkability is so exceptional. I could drink this beer all day long. I crave this beer (264 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +50.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Never been a fan of any beer that's been kitchenized or yuppified in any way. As I get older and more open minded, I've been going out of my usual amber lager affinity and trying different things. Never thought in a million years I would enjoy anything like this but I really enjoy it. Perfect on ice sitting on the porch on a hot afternoon, or relaxing on the deck with the pork shoulder in the smoker. Light, refreshing citrus that goes down smooth and is very pleasing on the palate. Very mildly tart but not bitter, and not too sweet. I'd still rather have a Lynchburg Lemonade but this is a fantastic alternative to the high alcohol, heavy beers I usually stick with. (673 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +49.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Never heard of this beer until I moved to Omaha. Some guests left it behind at my hotel so I decided to try it. My first drink made me smile. It was not what I expected when drinking a beer. The bubbles reminded me of a soda pop, lemon and orange. Easy to drink. Found just in time to kick off summer. (301 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +48.6%

I poured this beer into a Hoegaarden Pint glass. There was little lacing, which immediately dissipated.

Flavor is mild and sweet. The flavor of a weiss beer immediately floods the palate. The lemon flavor is strong and sour. High marks for refreshment.

The aftertaste is all lemonade.

I just moved back to Illinois from California this summer. As such, I had know of the Leinenkugel beers, but had not tried any of them.

I was immediately thrilled to see that they a beer shandy. My college internship was in Windhoek, Namibia. There I spent many summer nights with my teammates enjoying Zebra, Sprinbok, & beer shandies.

Kudos to Leinies for bringing an unique beer flavor to the market. I enjoyed it with a little nostolgia & while listening to Paul Simon's "Graceland" album. (785 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +47.9%

Excellent summer Beer. Hint of Lemonade and Orange flavor with hoppy aftertones. Not a beer for the winter. But the hot 90° summer days, there is not much better!It is very easy to drink. The color is a nice cloudy yellow with a 1" white foam head. Out of the Leinies summer brews this is right behind the Sunset Wheat for me. (327 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +47.6%

I poured this beer this past weekend at Boise Beer Festival in Boise Idaho. I ended up having several of these over a few hours time. This beer was one of the most popular beers of the 200+ beers at the event. It was hot out so take that in count...

Appearance- hazy foggy yellow.
Smell-Lemon and hops
taste- Lemon and lots of citrus. there is a little hop showing in there as well.
mouthfeel- smooth lite and refreshing. It was creamy on a little level.
Overall- HEAVEN on a hot day. Seriously loved this beer... (517 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +47.3%

I bought a six pack of this a few years ago. I polished off 5 bottles in 25 minutes, before I realized how much I had. This stuff is evil! I've sworn it off.

It goes down too easily. It's best to skip it, if you're thirsty. It tastes more like lemonade, than a beer. (268 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +45%

The appearance is a hazy, almost solid yellow, leaning slightly to an orange touch. The head is stark white and retains pretty well.

For the aroma, it smells of lemons, and a tad bit of malt (wheat, maybe?). Hop presence is just slightly noticeable, but it's hard to tell with the straight-forward lemon/citrus aroma.

The taste is primarily lemon zest, with some small sweetness, and a tiny backbone of malt- which to me, is hard to distinguish between barley and wheat. A nice balance, I suppose. Just bready and lemony.

The mouthfeel is on the heavy side of light, and the light side of medium. You really get a bite from the carbonation and the lemon zest.

Overall, this is one of the most refreshing beers I've ever had, and I suggest giving it a try, especially if you like citrusy beers. (800 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +44.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I really liked this beer. Very refreshing. Lemonade is nice complement to the wheat. I could drink several of these on a hot summer afternoon or evening.

I would recommend that you try it. I think many of the reviews just missed the point of this beer.

My wife says it has a beautiful color (lemondrop). Very nice head. Lemon smell. Wheat beer initial flavor and nice lemonade finish.

Keep in mind that the kind of glass you use does make a difference in head, head retention, how it releases the aroma and ultimately how much you will enjoy it. (549 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +44.4%

I bought this beer by mistake, and I'm very glad I did. I've had shandies from overseas before, but this was the first I've had that used lemonade instead of ginger ale or Sprite.

On a hot summer day, you can't beat this drink. It is extremely refreshing, not a heavy beer at all. This is what you'll want to grab after cutting the grass or playing 18 holes of golf.

There is a strong flavor of lemon in the nose. Mouthfeel is very crisp, but not even slightly bitter. In the finish, there is a strong punch of lemon, but not so overpowering that you forget you're having a beer.

This beer will remain in my fridge until they stop making it. (644 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +43.8%

Bought this as part of a six pack mixer from Liberty Street Tavern. Great beer for a hot and humid summer day. It had a nice cloudy yellow pour. Had a nice head of foam with a nice lemon scent. The first taste had pleasantly sweetness to it but finished with a nice slightly bitter lemon. One of the better fruit beers I have had. (330 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +43.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I had a bottle of this beer on a recent trip to Las Vegas. I saw it on the menu and had to try it. It was very refreshing and I ordered a second bottle. Goes well with any summer foods like bbq chicken! Not an everyday kinda beer, but an enjoyable tongue twister you should sample when you get a chance! (307 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +43.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

After hearing friends for 2 years talk about this beer I finally tried it. I am rather upset that I didn't try this sooner. The taste of the beer hits the spot on hot summer days. I never drank anything other then Miller or Coors but have ventured into other brands. This is so far the best that I have tried. (313 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +42.5%

I have had summer shandy out of a can, bottle and on tap. I would avoid having most beers out of a can, if possible (just a personal preference). Again, if you have read any of my previous reviews I am a citrus aficionado.

A- This beer is a bright yellow when poured into a glass.

S- The smell is lemony sweetness with a bit of a honeyish culmination.

T- It tastes of a citrus, lemon medley of fruit and a bit of maltiness that you pick up in the middle of your palate. I like to savor each mouthful of this beer and drink it on a warm summer day.

M- The texture of this beer is soft on the tongue and enjoyable.

I would recommend anyone that like citrus flavored beer to try this beer. You won't be disappointed. Cheers! (730 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +41.2%

I poured into a pint glass to a small white head after I finished mowing the lawn. It was a cloudy yellow color. It smelled lemony. It tasted like Blue Moon infused with lemonade. I guess if you're going to garnish wheats with friut you may as well do it during the brewing process. I thought it was very good and I apologize for the Blue Moon reference (not a fan). The Summer Shandy hit the spot on a warm day after some yard work. It is a very nice summer session ber. (471 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +41.2%

I loved this beer! As soon as I opened the bottle I could smell the strong aroma of lemon. Poured a hazy yellow with a thick creamy white head. The taste was definately lemonade with wheat flavor abounding. I found this to be quite refreshing while sitting by the pool on a hot day, grilling, or just enjoying the warm summer nights. This beer goes down very easy and compliments the season well. This is my second review of this beer... Now that the dog days of summer are in full swing I felt like this one needed a second look since for me the hot weather makes it even better! (580 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +40.3%

After drinking a Dubbel this certainly goes down like water. It is pretty pale looking and has a weak head and is not very cloudy for a wheat beer, but it is made by Leinenkugel :) Ok, well they still make some ok beers.

It smells very lemony and refreshing. Maybe it is a bit like household cleaners, but it sure smells good!

It has a very lemony flavor... Intense, but very clean finishing. I hate to say that I really like it. It is almost an alcopop, but the nice wheat beer finish saves it from being too sweet and girly.

It is light bodied beer that is super refreshing in my opinion. I could drink these all day long on a hot day. (646 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +40.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a light head, amber colored - aroma has a definite lemon smell.

Undertones of the wheat base but a crisp lemon after-taste. Not over-powering; doesn't linger long. Not too fruity as some of these beers can be. Leinies got this one right. Best served ice-cold. (266 characters)

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company