Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

4.19/5  rDev +33.9%

4.2% Alcohol by Volume
Color of Head = #F1F9AD
Color of Body = #D7E465

I'm actually pretty excited about this beer. I have a feeling that it might be amazing. It also has a good chance of being complete and total shit, but such is life. It claims to be a "Weiss beer with lemonade," which I'll admit sounds pretty appealing to me, even in this ridiculously cold November Tennessee weather.

This beer smells delicious. Like Stewart's lemonade. The head is fairly thick, but it retreats fast. I actually really, really like this. The lemonade taste is pretty heavy, but you can still pick out the hints of wheaty malt. Pretty damn carbonated too. Gums are already tingling. Both my roommate and girlfriend actually liked this beer, and neither of them drink at all which really says something for the mild sweetness of this beer. It probably has something to do with the low alcohol content too. I was concerned before I opened this that it would taste like someone spilled some Mike's Hard Lemonade in a Natty Light and tried to pass off the result as a microbrew, but this combines the two very well. You know, I have seen a lot of fruit flavors added to wheat beer, some turning out well (Blueberry with Sweetwater Blue) and some not so well (Raspberry with Abita Purple Haze), but it has really surprised me that I rarely see any citrus fruits combined with beer. Particularly fruits like lemons and oranges, you know, the ones you actually PUT IN the beer when you get it in a bar. I actually keep smelling the empty glass the beer smells so damn good. When I burp, it's as though I ingested some lovely Lemon Pledge, which is much better than the normal beer burp smell. I should start capping off my nights of drinking with one of these like a breath mint.

This is a (very) surprisingly good beer that everyone you know will like, even those damn snobby, American Guinness stout drinkers. Plus, you don't get called names for drinking this when you really want a cheer beer. It even has a twist off cap! This beer definitely stands out. It kicks ass at the fruit combination thing that so many other beers fail at. This beer really changed my view on Leinenkugel as a brewery. Though I don't know if my dismissal of them was due to me actually having and disliking one of their beers, or if I just really hated their logo and fonts. And everything else about their design. The whole package looks like it could be found at a crappy gift shop at the Cherokee Indian Reserve. Even so, I will definitely be picking up a six pack of this beer whenever the weather starts to warm up a little bit. (2,600 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +32.6%

Had this on tap at Redamak's in New Buffalo Mi and it really cut through the amazing burger I had! The Summer Shandy has intense meyer lemon aromatics and taste, white flower florals, and a lightly crisp body. Extremely easy drinking with balanced juicy flavors. (262 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +32.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a cloudy yellow color with a little head and good lacing to follow. The overall smell is of lemons with some wheat beer characteristics. The overall taste is lemonade. The lemonade however isn't over powering like the berry weis is. The mouthfeel is dry and not overly carbonated. The overall drinkability is very high, you could have about 12 of these without knowing. Very refreshing. (392 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +32.6%

This is a really surprisingly tasty beer. I had one straight out of a bottle at a party and liked it so much I wanted to give it a real taste at home. The ale taste is low end but the lemonade flavor perks it right up and makes this a very drinkable beer. (255 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +31.9%

Appearance:
There aren't too many shandys on the market so it's a little hard to say what this beer 'should' look like but there's a big white head to the beer which is a positive note to a wheat beer lemonade or not. The beer looks like watered down lemon juice, there's plenty of haze and it's light-medium yellow in color. The aforementioned head shows good retention but little to no lacing.

Smell:
Again I'm not really sure what's supposed to be going on here but it doesn't smell bad. There's a strong presence of candy lemon like the smell in fruit snacks. Paralleling the lemon is a mild vein of yeasty funk. There really isn't anything else going on here, or perhaps the lemon is too strong. In summary, it smells pleasing at the very least so I guess I'll call it a success.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
The lemon chills out a bit here and plays more of a complimentary roll. There's a smooth wheat intro with just a touch of lemon to it. The lemon is still coming through more candied than natural but it's still pretty tasty. The malts slowly fade out leaving a light lemon coating on the tongue. Once again I don't really know what to expect but it's wheat and lemon so I guess I'll call it a shandy and call it pretty good.

Drinkability:
The beer is easy drinking but at the same time it's lacking many of the qualities of lemonade that I enjoy and the same is true for wheat beer. It would make a good lawnmower beer but ultimately it's a specialty drink which makes it pretty one dimensional in terms of drinkability.

Bottom Line:
Thumbs up to Leines for being brave with their brewing/business. I'm not the biggest Leinenkugel fan but it takes some stones to bend SABMiller over and tell them you're making a shandy whether they like it or not. I imagine some "girl drink" talk went in to pitching this brew but I'm a dude and it's an alright beer. (1,874 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +31.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Drank from a 12 fl. oz. (0.355 L) can
Jun 0115
Served in a pint glass
Thanks to my dad for hooking me up with a bunch of the beers from Leinenkugel's Shandy Sampler Beer Variety Pack.

Super cloudy, pale straw yellow appearance. The beer was topped by an inch-tall crown that quickly quickly dropped to a thin ringlet.

The aroma was very lemony and pleasant, albeit rather one-dimensional. Fresh squeezed lemonade dominated. The lemon was very authentic and not at all artificial. Touch of crisp wheatiness. Moderately sweet. Bit of lemon rind as well.

The flavor profile was similar to the nose but perhaps less sweet. Lemon notes dominated. Somewhat lemonade-like but with only a hint of sugar. Lots of bitter lemon peel. Wheaty and tart. The beer finished even more bitter with copious amounts of lemon rind. A hint of earthy hops appeared after the swallow.

Solid mouthfeel. Medium bodied for the style. The liquid contained a crisp, sprightly effervescence. Smooth, fluffy and pillowy soft on the palate.

Call me a sucker for easy drinking, fruit-infused beers, because I think this one is incredibly tasty and enjoyable (and not too sweet, especially considering the style). As far as shandies go, this one is hard to beat. (1,234 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +31.6%

When evaluating this beer, you must remember the style, and evaluate it accordingly. It's a "Shandy" - a mixture of "lager and lime" - very common and popular in the UK. Having spent some time in the UK, I feel qualified to say it isn't bad - FOR A SHANDY. Although I've been in bars in the US where someone has ordered "half (whatever is on tap) and half Sprite", I think this is an improvement. (396 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +31%

All beer is relative to the day, a hot day in Southern California with limited refreshing options in the store, not a double IPA day based on my weather and yard work, ~90 outside. I prefer lemon beer to lemonade on this frustration day. It agrees with me. Give it a try on a hot day, I don't think you will mind it's company. It's got more than you deserve. (358 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +31%

Pours a great golden straw color, with a nice bit of head and great lacing for a wheat beer. Wonderful scent, a nice wheat/straw aroma with a strong lemon/lemonade scent (the lemon is a bit too strong, I wish the wheat came out just a little more). It has a great mixed flavor, a nice wheat beer with a huge lemonade hit (again, just a bit less lemon and a bit more wheat would've been excellent). It goes down exceptionally smooth, it would be horribly easy to drink a few of these while mowing the yard. A nice shandy. It's not a great pale wheat ale, but it is a great wheat ale with lemon/lemonade. (602 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +31%

Had this one many times but needed to do my review on it anyway. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a pilsner glass.

Pours like a 'unfiltered wheat' that is a hazy yellow with about a 1-finger white head that goes away very fast with very little lacing. The aroma is of lemons (it's made with lemonade) and grain. Very nice but not over powering. The taste is very pleasant and smooth and is a great summer brew. No bitter aftertaste. A great beer that will never let you down. One of my favorite summer brews! Lighter+-medium bodied with good carbonation. (593 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +29.7%

Very drinkable beer, not a strong beer aftertaste, almost watery, which most people like anyways, nice limon flavor, not so much limeonade but more straight limon,very cloudy unfiltered beer but most craft brews are, tried it at a cool temperature to extract more flavors, probly taste great on a hot day when these are ice cold. (329 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +29.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a wheat beer glass.

This is a super-cloudy gold color, with a massive head that just barely filled up the quite large area this glass has for head to accumulate. Lacing is alright. This smells just like a lemonade. Great smelling, I'd like a bit more of the wheat character here though, as it comes through on the taste. The taste is a nice balance between the lemonade flavors and a sweet wheat flavor. Nothing amazing, but perfectly thirst quenching on the 90 degree Florida days we're already having here.

The mouthfeel is great, it's just perfectly carbonated and has the right thickness to be refreshing. The drinkabilitiy, of course, is phenomenal. May as well be drinking lemonades. I know a lot of elitists will hate on this, but I enjoy this brew. It's just a refreshing beer that is great in the Florida sun. (851 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +28.4%

Lemony goodness on a warm day.

A super refreshing, super sweet, and super strong citrus taste.

Fantastic.

I dont even know what type of beer the summer shandy is, but it is already one of my favorites. I probably couldn't drink more than 2 at a time or may get tired of the taste, but is a great treat. (305 characters)

12oz twist-off bottle at fridge temp poured into a pint glass. best before oct 29, 12.

pours out a very cloudy, very light straw yellow color with a nice big tight, pure white head. very good retention as well as some nice thick lacing. lots of carbonation bubbles rushing to the top as well.

the aroma is pretty much straight up lemons. a little one dimensional, but theres no second guessing and nothing really fake about it.

again, some nice authentic lemon citrus is all over this with some grains and maybe even a touch of wheat as well.

smooth, somewhat creamy, good amount of carbonation. mega refreshing! mega drinkable!

call me crazy, but this is a really solid summer beer. so chugable. overall, it is a bit one dimensional with the lemon and all, but il definatly be drinking more of this. great ABV as well. (827 characters)

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy brewed by Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company, with an ABV of 4.20% This brew pours out a nice cloudy amber color, with a nice white head. Summer Shandy is an unfiltered brew, you can not see though it. The smell of Summer Shandy is, sweet,with grains and malts and some spices. You pick up a hit of hops in the smell of this brew. Now for the taste, it is bold with flavor and citrus. You also pick up on grains , malts, and spices. There is nothing overpowering about Summer Shandy, it has a nice balance to it. The mouthfeel of Summer Shandy is clean smooth, and refreshing. I like how this brew is different form most brews on market. Overall I'm giving Summer Shandy a solid 4 out 5. Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company, did a nice job with this one. I would buy this brew again. (815 characters)

Appearance: This brew pours as a light yellow hazy wheat. The head is full yet not creamy. Lacings perceived. Pretty nice.

Smell: Lemon zingy! The intensity is about the same as one would expect hops in an IPA. I like this. Some sweet malt detected.

Taste: This is like a wheat beer mixed with lemonade. I do not detect (to any major amount) other citrus flavors. The general wheat-sweetness is very subdued. Very light in overall presence. Very little (if any) hop bitterness. However, sweetness is not overpowering.

Mouthfeel: VERY light in flavor. The palate stays clear. There is not the cloying sweetness of lemonade, however there is a residual malt sweetness. This is a GREAT selection for sitting around the pool in the summer. I approve highly.

Drinkability: This selection is very easy to drink. I would call this a "chick beer", but the lightness would go great on a hot summer day.

As mentioned earlier, this is most definitely a Radler.

Prosit!
Nikki (969 characters)

I recently found the Summer Shandy in a can and had to try it. It smells of lemon, and it definitely tastes like lemon. This beer goes down very smoothly. It would be easy to drink a lot of these. I'm surprised the rating is so low on here. This is a very decent summer beer. I recommend trying this beer if you haven't. (320 characters)

This beer is all about recovering from a hot long day of work or play. Don't expect malt or hop goodness. Expect a refreshing drink.

A: Cloudy yellow in appearance with a thin head that will lace down the glass if poured.
S: Smells of lemons on lemons with no hint of malt or hops; not a bad thing for this style in my opinion.
T: I liked this beer mainly because it was associated with good memories of when I lived in Bavaria where they would frequently mix a hefeweizen with lemonade making a "Radler." It is perfect for a hot summer day at the pool or just after coming inside.
M: Tiny bubbles, smooth.
D: Very similar to drinking lemonade... you can go until the citrus flavor as coated your tongue beyond comfort. (720 characters)

Different strokes for different folks on this one. I think Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy is awesome. It is a great summer beer when its hot as hell and you want something refreshing. Lemon beer sounds like a hideous combination admittledly but this is good stuff. I usually like beer from a glass, but here I prefer drinking from the can or bottle. Technically, this isn't good beer but a good shandy and should be judged as such. This is much better than the 72 rating would suggest. (485 characters)

I poured this beer into a perfect pint glass, it has a fizzy white head on top of a lemon yellow body. The smell is of fresh lemons. It taste nice of lemons, no hops to speak of. The mouth feel is nice and crisp. The beer overall i think is good for a nice summer beer. (269 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +27.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Had it on a brewery tour while in Wisconsin. Tasted amazing then. But tastes a little bit more pedestrian out of the bottle I bought here in San Francisco. Still pretty good wheat beer, though it does have a slightly bitter aftertaste that reminded me of real barley and hops lager. In my book that's a good thing, but based on the category of beer, I guess that would make it an "adjunct" by witbier standards. (411 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this beer for the first time this weekend. It was one of the most refreshing beers I've ever had. Not for the beer drinker who doesn't like a light, summery beer. I expected it to be lemony since it says on the bottle that it's "lemonade beer", and it definitely was. I couldn't taste much wheat, but there were very vague traces. I don't think Leinenkugel was going for a beer that should be sipped, and has many different tastes, and I don't think they had the beer aficionado in mind when brewing it. But they succeeded at what they were going for. (557 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +26.8%

This is a great crisp light body summer Ale. Cool refreshing Lemony beer to enjoy at the end of a summer day. This is my go to beer great cook outs and camping. It pours with a nice head and great carbonation. This beer makes it really feel like summer is here. (261 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +26.8%

Admittedly I'm a sucker for sweeter beers, but even I was skeptical at a lemonade/beer combo. However girly it may be, it is a delicious and refreshing beer that manages to eliminate all of the negatives of a malt beverage like Mike's Hard or a flavored beer like Bud Light Lime. There's no lingering sweetness, and isn't harsh on the stomach acid wise. You can taste the beer and the lemonade, but neither are bad. The flavors don't taste fake or forced. Great refreshing beer for a summer barbeque. (500 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +26.2%

Appearance: Pale, cloudy yellow. Like Hoegaarden. Not as much foam, but good lacing.

Smell: Lemon with an earthy lemongrass aroma as well. I would like this a bit stronger though.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Summer Shandy lives up to its billing as a mixture of lemonade and beer. I know they serve stuff like this in Germany, particularly in the Munich area. I have to say I find the taste quite pleasant and detect an acceptable amount of malt as well in the finish. I worried this would taste like Sprite. I'm glad to be wrong.

Drinkability: Hey, it's lemonade.

Overall: It's not the greatest beer in the planet. But really? Is that the point with Summer Shandy? No. It's meant to be a refreshing SUMMER SHANDY. On those grounds I give this beer a positive review. (760 characters)

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company