Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007

Ratings: 3,212 | Reviews: 674
2.96/5  rDev -6.3%

My father-in-law gave me this to see what I thought. Sampled from a bottle best by 10/10/11. Bright, hazy yellow color with a fizzy white head that leaves a decent white cap. That was the best part. Surprisingly medium bodied with assertive carbonation. Smell and taste was lemons with orange zest. The aftertaste basically left you feeling as though you were drinking lemon concentrate. This is a beer that would be enjoyed by non-drinkers or Coors Light lovers.

2.96/5  rDev -6.3%

poured into a pint glass with a nice head that stayed around for a bit.hazy yellow,really smells like they just poured lemonade into a wheat beer,which is what they did i believe.tastes like a beer with lemonade poured into it.overall,i could drink a few of these on a hot summer day.however,this is a bit too sweet for my palate.a good beer to give to BMC fans.

2.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Appearance: Cloudy, pale yellow with a lot of bubbles. Big two finger white head with very good retention and lacing.

Smell: Big aroma of sweet and tart lemonade. Light hints of wheat and pale malts. Smells more like lemonade than a beer.

Taste: Tastes like it smells. Big taste of tart lemons throughout with a little wheat and very subtle hints of pale malts. Like a hard lemonade with hints of beer.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with a medium to high level of carbonation. Crisp.

Overall: This tastes ok but it's not something I would seek out again. As a lemonade it tastes pretty weak and as a beer its almost nonexistent.

2.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Hazed lemong glow golden with a bright white creamy head forming thick witha fizzy head, lacing is nice fine and scattered on the sides of my chalice. Aroma heavy with the lemonzest almost like a cleaning supply lemon, it's very zesty. Flavors clear out the nostrils with lemon zest and really hit heavy with the tartness definitely some biscuit/wheat malt characteristics but the lemon zest rolls a bit too hard I couldn't drink many of these even though I really like the can they're packaged in. Very carbonated light bodied mouthfeel that is a bit too much. Drinkability is weak, tasty brew a bit heavy on the lemon zest doesn't work out as a standby regular for me.

2.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Brewed with natural Lemonade flavor.

A: Poured a very cloudy, lemony wit color with a foamy 1 finger white head that fell to a slight, fizzy layering quickly after the pour.

S: country time sour lemonade.

T: sour country time lemonade, and oranges. Tastes more like a hard lemonade then a beer. Some sour lemony texture.

M: light, with some fizziness from the carbonation with a tart lemonade fade.

D: A refreshing summer time alternative that looks like a wit but drank like a lemonade cooler.

2.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a hazy lemon gold with a bit of carbonation that's all but gone right away. Its an attractive pour but its also different from what beer normally looks like in my opinion.

Smells pretty good if sweet is your thing. Good lemon sweetness. The beer malts are subtle in the background.

The taste is the letdown for me. The lemon is there, but strangely not very citrusy. It tastes a lot more like beer than it smells; good grains come through. A classic wheat taste. However, it tastes very bland to me. Nothing wrong with it, just wish there was more.

The mouthfeel is fine. Not too sugary or thick which is good considering you might expect that with a lemonade beer.

Overall, I think this beer has potential to be a great summer session or cookout beer, but you'll have to find the right foods to bring out the taste or make sure you aren't eating anything at all. Otherwise, it starts to feel like drinking beer with water in it instead of lemonade.

2.95/5  rDev -6.6%

I'll be the first to admit that I think that Leinenkugel's is a very overrated brewer. This beer won't change my mind. Very "lemon-y" and sweet which I personally don't care for in a beer. I expected a much more tart flavor but it is rather sweet which keeps one from being able to drink to many at a time.

2.95/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A--poured a murky unfiltered yellow with a slight wispy head that was gone in a flash...very little lacing

S--smelled very much like a lemon-drop candy. Faintly sweet citrus aroma

T--very citrusy...almost like lemon tonic very refreshing flavor...

M--crispy dry finish...light with very little after taste of feel on the tongue
\
O--an okay beer that would be good on a very hot day...easy to drink and easy to find

2.95/5  rDev -6.6%

A: Light yellow color. Pours a three finger puffy white head that dissipated evenly. Thick, even lacing.

S: Strong lemon aroma and very light malts. Hops were not detctable.

T: Consistent with taste; prominent sweetened lemons and a thin malt character. Slightly sour aftertaste.

M: Light body. Smooth, clean finish. Ample carbonation.

D: Ample taste with the lemony kick goes down pretty easy. Be ready for something thats not very "beer-like".

2.94/5  rDev -7%

This is difficult to rate as a beer, since it much more resembled a non-alcoholic mixture of Ginger-Ale and lemonade. Very pale in color, with little lacing or head and a hint of lemon in the nose. Taste was lemony soda pop.

Not sure who this beer would appeal to, as even the women at our table thought it tasted too cheesy. Before I drink this again, I'll have a straight lemonade or real beer, not this 'tweener.

2.94/5  rDev -7%

this is one of my wife's favorite beers, being the fact I have nothing else left to drink, I had to open it.
A- very pale yellow, maybe pale isnt the word to use. How about urine like?
S - Citrus is the only thing I can smell, lots of citrus
T - citrus rine, some sweetness, lots of citrus bitterness
M - easy to drink, if you like lemonade
O - this is one beer that is constantly in my fridge that I dont like to touch. Not to say its a bad beer, but it leaves me wanting to drink something with more flavor and bite.
good lawnmower beer, or beer to throw through a lawnmower.

2.93/5  rDev -7.3%

Had it at a Restaurant, enjoyed it, picked up a 6 pack. Pours a hazy, yellow. Almost looks like pear juice. Pretty nice head, maybe 2 inches, with decent retention and very little lacing. Smells predominantly of lemons, and a bit of malt and hops. Taste compliments the smell. Not bad, but definitely a summer beer. Not something I can drink all the time. Carbonation was off, and the taste was on the "watery" side. Someone said they should just call this "Bud Light with Lemon", but I think it's a bit better than Bud Light, but not by much. If you're outside working or having a BBQ on a hot day, this is the right beer.

2.93/5  rDev -7.3%

Pours a very cloudy yellow into my pint glass. Has a 1.5 finger head with white soda-like bubbles. Leaves a small amount of lace on the glass.

The smell is obviously lemon at first, but after a few sniffs, an astringent quality comes through, and it starts to smell more like a lemon scented cleanser. The taste is...not terrible, but certainly not great. It's almost like Budweiser with powered lemonade mix stirred in.

The mouthfeel is very acidic and carbonated from the moment it touches your tongue.

My review makes it sound worse than it probably is. Served ice cold on a hot day, it would probably hit the spot. Any other time, and I don't think I would have more than one.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle

A: Cloudy pale/dull yellow color. One finger head, zero lacing.
S: Smell of Adjunct with strong lemon
T: Lemonade with a bit of beer. Somewhat sweet, little to no hoppiness.
M: Thin/watery with a crisp finish.
D: One is very drinkable on a hot day but I would want too many more than one.

I dont dislike fruity beers in general, but this is pretty bad for me. More lemonade than beer.

2.92/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured a bottle fo this into a shaker glass.

A: Pours a hazy, straw-yellow body with a white head with some retention and minimal lacing.

S: A sweet, lemon smell with some metallic notes that were very subtle. Seemed a little bit like lemonade.

T: A watered-down, lemon drink taste with hints of lemon zest in the aftertaste. Overall, the beer was not that good tasting as the sweet lemon taste got to me later.

M: A pretty light a crisp mouthfeel that was refreshing and good for the style.

D: A pretty good mouthfeel for the style, but the taste could use a little work. The sweet lemons got to me later on and the matliness of the beer was way overpowered by the lemon taste.

Pint on tap

A - Cloudy, straw color. Finger of white foam, Decent retention. Carbonated

S - Smells of light lemons. Thats really about all I pick up.

T - Meh...follows the nose. Some lemon peel, very light malts. Lemon lingers on the tongue after the finish. Just not much there for me.

M - Very light bodied, highly carbonated. Watery thin.

O - The appearance surprised me. Wasn't expecting the cloudiness. Just not a fan. I'm not a fruit beer guy to being with and this one just confirms yet again why.

2.91/5  rDev -7.9%

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint

Bottle dated best by Sep 03 2013

Well I have to start by saying I was expecting a little more on this one, I live in Houston and I drink Live Oak Hefe on the reg and I always have it served with a lemon slice, so when I see this at the store say traditional Weisse with lemon I think it's something I could enjoy. Pours a cloudy lemonade color with a couple finger head that doesn't last, almost no lacing as the glass goes down. All lemon on the scent. More lemon on the taste than I would like for the style, I expected a Weisse with a lemon hint not a mixture of beer and lemonade. Overall, it's ok, I'm not going to pour it out or anything, but its defiantly not something I'm going to seek out again.

poured into pint glass

A- cloudy yellow. head quickly disappeared. lacing sticks to glass nicely.Little to no carbonation.

S- Sweet blend of wheat and fresh lemonade. However it kind of reminds me of a Bud Light Lime or some other low quality fruit infused beer.

T- Pretty tasty. Initial lemon pow followed by even more lemon. Aftertaste is surprisingly... lemon!

M- Very easy going down. No carbonation on tongue with nothing but lemon aftertaste left in mouth.

D- I find this beer to taste more like a "bitch drink"(excuse the language) however it is easy to drink and on a weekend like the 4th of July I might end up with several in my belly. I wouldn't rush out to the store to buy more though.

2.9/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured into a snifter (for reviewing purposes). White head, low retention. Lacing really not too exciting. Body is hazy, opalescent, pale yellow/white. Aroma includes lemons and maybe some pledge (tm). Taste is lemony and wispy but a little too artificial to be too enjoyable. This is maybe a great gateway beer for people that don't like beer.

2.9/5  rDev -8.2%

Look - very light straw color, cloudy, lemonaide-looking. Good foam, about two finger's worth. Good carbonation, but hard to see due to cloudiness.

Smell - definite lemon smell. More hoppy than malty, but not extremely hoppy.

Taste - very strong lemon taste. Tastes like it should have an entire lemon floating in it...I can't get too far past it in the taste to find anything else.

Mouthfeel - medium..somewhat light, somewhat creamy.

Drinkability - probably not the greatest beer, but in terms of repeat drinkability, with the lower abv and not-very-beer-like taste, you could come back to this type of beer a few times.

2.89/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Cloudy yellow colored beer with a tall white colored head. Looks like wheat beer mixed with lemonade which is pretty much what this is.

Smells strongly of lemonade and less strongly roasted grain and faint herbal hop. Soda cracker malt scent.

Starts out mildly sweet with mainly a lemon flavor and a toasted whet after taste. Tastes like lemonade and beer. Needless to say not really a traditional beer.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall an inoffensive drink. Guess it works as a thirst quencher.

2.88/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Appearance:
It appears to be... lemonade! A bright yellow hue is applied to an opaque body with a thin, white head. Retention is horrible. No lacing. Plenty of carbonation.

Aroma:
An almost overwhelming amount of lemon. I get a heaping helping of fresh and artificial lemon... and that's it. Nothing else.

Taste:
Honestly, it's not good... BUT it's refreshing! There is nothing here to tell me "hey, I'm a beer!" It would be better served as a Smirnoff Ice product. Kool-aid comes to mind.

Mouthfeel:
Incredibly light, crisp and refreshing! Lots of carbonation and a nice sweetness that is not overpowering. Easy to drink.

Overall:
I have a hard time calling this a beer as there is nothing here that resembles a beer, or at least what I consider beer. That said, I enjoy it... A bit of a guilty pleasure if you will. Easy to drink and thirst-quenching. Definitely a good beverage for a hot, summer day.

2.88/5  rDev -8.9%

The pale, cloudy appearance isn't too impressive up front for this summery lemonade-infused wheat beer. The initial citrus smell isn't bad, though, but what really counts is the taste, and here it just reminds me far too much of Pledge furniture polish. Something here seems fishy (and plastic), and I won't be picking these up anytime soon.

2.88/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy straw color with fat, chunky bone-white head.

Smells like lemonade, wheat, lime and carbonation. A mix of Mike's hard lemonade and a wit.

Hmmm, not really a beer, per say...I only taste wheat and lemonade, and not very much of it. Might be refreshing ice cold on a hot summer day or could serve as an outdoor brunch beer.

Had this at a buddy's house as a leftover. I was expecting worse, but still think I would pass on purchasing this one.

2.88/5  rDev -8.9%

my cousin wanted something new, so we got a 12 pack of this. it's alright. when i first tried it, it didn't do well for me and i ended up not drinking it. but the next day i wanted a buzz so i drank a few of these. it takes a while to get used to it.
the moment it hits your mouth it's like you're drinking water but it is quickly followed by a strange zap of lemon. it might be a bit too much lemon, in my opinion. after a while, though, like i said, it grows on you, but perhaps that is due to you drinking 4 of them and you think everything is great. i tried to find out the AC for it i believe it is around 4.5%.
if you don't want a strong beer but rather a crisp lemon taste with a little beer taste, get this. if not, i don't know.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company