Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007

3.92/5  rDev +24.4%

S = This had the aroma of a box of "Lemon Heads" candy.

T = The taste was more restrained than the smell. It actually tasted as if I'd eaten a lemon biscuit. There was no bitterness at all and the finish, again, left a lemon bread taste.

MF = There was moderate carbonation, but I felt it was a little thin.

Overall, I enjoyed this beer. It would make a great summer grass cutting brew.

3.92/5  rDev +24.4%

Leinenkugel’s Summer Shandy has a thick, fluffy, white head and a very cloudy, pale yellow appearance. The aroma is of lemonade and just a touch of white bread. Taste is of lemonade, white wheat bread, sugar, and a very low bitterness. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Leinenkugel’s Summer Shandy finishes mostly dry, tart, and refreshing. It’s not really a beer. It’s a flavored malt beverage. I think it’s very good, for what it is.

RJT

3.92/5  rDev +24.4%

Instead of most summer beers which are a beer with lemonade flavor, this is a lemonade with lemonade flavor. More comparable to Mike's Hard Lemonade, minus the severe heartburn. This is very tastey stuff; potentially the most refreshing summer beer you can buy. I think it's great, although It's certainly on the fringes of the "malt beverage" catagory. The big difference, though, is no cloying sweetness or obvious sugar additives. I'll be stocking up of this for the summer months.

12 Ounce brown bottle

Appearance: Cloudy light yellow color with moderate head

Smell: Maybe not particularly beer smelling but it has a great lemon smell. It is the smell of a really flavorful lemonade and just gives a great summer feeling

Taste: The flavor is less lemonade -ey then the smell which actually makes it a lot better. If you expect it to taste like a Mike's, it will not be what you expected. On the other hand there is a light beer flavor that mixes with the lemonade but is not very strong

Note: This is a really good beverage but it is a little hard to consider it wheat beer because there is very little wheat beer flavors (fruity but lacks the variety of fruit flavors). But I have never actually made a Shandy before but I feel this would be a good representation of it (very refreshing)

3.92/5  rDev +24.4%

A - Cloudy, yellow color - looking like most good wietbier's I've had. Looks a tiny bit off like you can see the lemonade in it
S - Strong citrusy, lemons and limes, smells good
T - . Typical wheat-flavors, with good NATURAL tasting lemon flavor. I was worried about this being too sweet but it isn't.
M - Medium bodied, a little on the thin side, light carbonation.
D - In short - I like this. Much better then Leinenekuger's ill fated Berry weiser, this one still tastes like beer. The lemonade/lemon flavor introduced is natural and not sickly sweet. I see people comparing this to Mike's Hard Lemonade, but I think that's a complete stretch. This is just a decent wietbier with some lemon flavors added to it which complements it well.

3.92/5  rDev +24.4%

Poured a very cloudy pale lemon color with a big, frothy 3 finger head that left a medium lacing throughout the drink
Nice lemony citrus smell-definately different
Light mouthfeel, the first hit is with carbonation and then the lemon takes over (again, definately different)
I passed by this several times, even after my friends at The Anderson's recommended it, but thought it was worth a try. I absolutely love the Sam Adams Summer and while I still feel it is much better, this Leiny isn't bad at all. I love lemonade and/or beer on a hot summer day and this is the best of both worlds.
Definately worth a try!

3.92/5  rDev +24.4%

I liked this beer more than I thoght I would. I was expecting a Miller Chill and got more than I thought I would.

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. It was a dull yellow and hazy with a decent head but very little retention.

Smell was very fresh and somewhat lemonade-ish. Really didn't get much of a hint that it was beer. Pleasant.

Taste was very good. I am not sure it would taste as good if it tasted more like beer or not. It is probably too lemony for some or most but it is not lemonade. The unfiltered nature of it keeps it from being Miller Chill soda pop like. Ultra refreshing. Would be a real hit on a hot summer day. Not an everyday beer by any means but in small doses at the real time it should be just the ticket.

Mouthfeel was slick and easy. Felt good on the tongue and coated the throat a little on the way down. Certainly not thick but less watery than I thought.

Drinkability. Again, in the right place, at the right time, I believe you could drink one after another. At 4.2% and with the slickness with which it goes, it is very drinkable. Not for everyone and probably not for purists but as a fun recreational drink I think Leine's got what they were going for. Would defintely have again.

3.91/5  rDev +24.1%

One of my first beers as a legal adult, so this brings back lots of memories with friends and summers spent by a bonfire drinking a Shandy.
Think of this beer as a watered alcoholic version of Sunkist Lemonade (where available in your area)
Very light and fruity, not like Leines Berry Weiss but I still won't drink more than 12 pack at one time.

3.9/5  rDev +23.8%

12oz bottle poured into a Three Philosophers snifter.

Appearance - Very cloudy light yellow. Looks strikingly like fresh squeezed lemonade.

Smell - Sweet cane sugar and fresh lemons. Yep, I can already guess what it's going to taste like by now.

Taste - Sweet. Slightly bitter. Basically like lemonade but with less of that cane sugar sweetness.

Mouthfeel - Light-medium body. Refreshing.

Overall Drinkability - Great novelty beer. Does well what I'm sure it set out to do (taste like lemonade).

3.9/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I have drank this from a can and bottle both. The bottle is a little better in my opinion. This is one of my favorite summer beers. Very refreshing on a hot day outside. Good lemonade flavoring that is consistent throughout the entire beer (even as it begins to warm). Drinkability is very good in that the flavor doesn't wear on you and there is no lingering aftertaste. Slight notes of lemonade in the smell. Appears very cloudy as it is an unfiltered wheat (I believe).

Outstanding hot weather beer!

3.89/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Awesome summer brew, take a case to the beach or a bbq and party!

3.89/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy was a refreshing and bold surprise. I had it indoors, but I think it would have truly and really hit the spot if I had had it outdoors on a hot night. Although cloudy to the eye, it is an appealing shade of yellow with some lacing. Not only can you distinctly taste the lemonade-like flavor to the beer, but you could smell it - which is a plus to me. It was a little too carbonated for my taste, but overall I really enjoyed it and will look for it again.

3.89/5  rDev +23.5%

Had never heard of the brewer but have bought a number of their beer recently as part of pick 6 sales at the local market. Slight leamonaid flavor, crisp, and refreshing on a hot summer afternoon. Nice head and aroma. I might buy this beer on occasion in the future but would not 'search' for the beer if headed for a party and I wanted to impress friends with my selections.

3.88/5  rDev +23.2%

3.88/5  rDev +23.2%

3.87/5  rDev +22.9%

The smell of lemon does not overwhelm the maltiness of the beer. It pours a bright sunshine yellow which foreshadows the presence of lemon. The tase is a pleasant balance of lemon and malt that surprised me. I was sure this would be some cheap "hard lemonade" concoction, but it wasn't. It was balanced and fun to drink.

3.87/5  rDev +22.9%

Smell- Strong citrus

Looks- Dirty blonde and cloudy

Taste-Right from the start you get a strong lemon zest that progresses into a thirst quenching brew.

Overall - Not the best summer beer by far, but worth trying. I'd say give it a go. It's a great summer beer to complement a summer BBQ or day at the pool/lake/beach.

3.87/5  rDev +22.9%

This review will be on the product's merits as a beer but as a beverage in general. As a beer, this fails. It is extremely light with few taste characteristics of beer. However, it is not at all bad. It more resembles a mellow, less sweet lemonade. It is quite refreshing and fruity with some nice sweetness at first and then a more bitter/hoppy finish that balances nice. Quite refreshing and not at all bad for a hot summer day which is exactly how I am enjoying it. Worth trying for this purpose, not worth trying if looking for a great beer though.

3.87/5  rDev +22.9%

Appearance - cloudy and foamy on the way out. Looks pretty much like lemonade with a head! It has a little head retention but doesn't completely cover the surface.

Aroma - I can smell the lemonade immediately on the pour. After a minute or so, some basic but legit grain is there, too. Smells good!

Taste - well...it's lemonade and beer. That's what it tastes like. The lemon pretty much dominates but some wheaty beer-like flavor is present.

Mouthfeel - bubbly, light, crisp, quite refreshing.

Drinkability - a fine pick on a hot day. This is different, tasty, and a nice break from the norm. It has the sweetness that you might associate with alcopop but the lemonade does a nice job of separating itself from that group at least a little bit.

GLASS: Saint Arnold Brewery Tasting Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees
(SUMMER BEER TASTING w/ a few friends)

It's a beautiful hazy golden yellow in the glass. Reminds me of a hot summer day, visually. Not 100+ degree 'heatstroke' kind of hot, but upper-80's to mid-90's. Where you're just starting to see 'heat-lines' in the air, if you look down the street.
Creamy one-finger head dissipates fairly quickly. Decent lacing. Minimal retention.

The smell is like effervescing lemons. If you had a pool filled with fresh lemons and they began giving off a wonderful bubbly gaseous mist, I think it would smell like this.
For all intents and purposes this looks and smells like a glass of strong homemade lemonade.

Taste is where it drops a little bit, for me. Granted, it is pretty much exactly what it claims to be. A well-done (American) Pale Wheat with lemonade blended in. The lemon seems to be a bit too dominant, though. While I do detect a tiny hint of yeastiness in there, the beer flavor is all but buried.

It feels a bit wrong to me, also. It's thin, which I would normally like, in this style. The problem is that there seems to be to many bubbles (overcarbonation). Makes for an odd mouthfeel.

After what I've just said about it, I'm surprised to say that I still find this to be a good, easy-drinking, refreshing summer brew. On a nice hot day, this would definitely do the trick.

3.85/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Refreshing and perfect for warm weather.

3.85/5  rDev +22.2%

A: This beer screams summer to me, a lemon shandy.. the best appearance for a beer on a very hot summer day in my opinion.

S: Lemons, lemons and more lemons. faint lemon rind smell.

T: Tart at first, then mellows out almost like a lemonhead candy. wonderfully tasty and quenching when its miserable hot out.

M: Thin and crisp, yep.

O: Session friendly. Kicked many of these back in college.. great beer for chilling around the house/pool/lake on a nice Michigan summer day.

3.85/5  rDev +22.2%

Have had this beer on draft, in bottle, in can and with an extra lemon slice and it is all GOOD

This in my opinion is the essential summer beer, it is light flavorful, drinkable it is everything you want in a summer beer.

Stop what you are doing go to the store, or the bar and have one of these you will not be disappointed. This beer puts the seasonal in seasonal brew and they do not disappoint.

I will continue to drink these during the summer as it has become my go to summer beer.

3.85/5  rDev +22.2%

Refreshing. Really easy to drink. Doesn't taste like beer, and doesn't taste like alcohol. Mostly a natural lemon drink with bubbles. Honestly I could drink an even more lemon-ey drink in higher ABV like this kind of style, but this tastes excellent and with no bitterness

3.85/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Very good beer for warm weather. I really enjoy the lemon and beer combination in this recipe. An extremely light and crisp beer with just enough hops to make the flavor explode in your mouth. Very good beer to drink while eating at a barbeque with smoked meats.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company