Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)
4.78/5  rDev +52.2%

A- Has a very cloudy, pale, yellow color with a foamy head to it.

S- Strong smell of lemons and wheat.

T- When they say brewed with lemonade Leinenkugels means it. Strong lemon start with a wheat beer finish, very enjoyable.

M- Smooth and quite refreshing actually a nice thirst quencher.

O- Easily drinkable, great taste, wish it was available year round. Perfect beer for summer. I've had it tap, bottle, and can equally enjoyable each time.

cstrong821, Aug 20, 2011

NoleDoc, Apr 25, 2013

brentterry85, May 13, 2013

jordaan, Sep 16, 2012
4.72/5  rDev +50.3%

What a wonderful beer for summer. The appearance is wonder. The smell is exceptional. Taste is so wonderful. Very Lemonony and beer taste rolled into one. Mouthful is the same. Drinkability is so exceptional. I could drink this beer all day long. I crave this beer

yuenglingfan101, Aug 15, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +49.7%

I poured this beer into a Hoegaarden Pint glass. There was little lacing, which immediately dissipated.

Flavor is mild and sweet. The flavor of a weiss beer immediately floods the palate. The lemon flavor is strong and sour. High marks for refreshment.

The aftertaste is all lemonade.

I just moved back to Illinois from California this summer. As such, I had know of the Leinenkugel beers, but had not tried any of them.

I was immediately thrilled to see that they a beer shandy. My college internship was in Windhoek, Namibia. There I spent many summer nights with my teammates enjoying Zebra, Sprinbok, & beer shandies.

Kudos to Leinies for bringing an unique beer flavor to the market. I enjoyed it with a little nostolgia & while listening to Paul Simon's "Graceland" album.

davidaubrey, Jul 26, 2008
4.69/5  rDev +49.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Never heard of this beer until I moved to Omaha. Some guests left it behind at my hotel so I decided to try it. My first drink made me smile. It was not what I expected when drinking a beer. The bubbles reminded me of a soda pop, lemon and orange. Easy to drink. Found just in time to kick off summer.

Miykael, May 27, 2013
4.68/5  rDev +49%

Excellent summer Beer. Hint of Lemonade and Orange flavor with hoppy aftertones. Not a beer for the winter. But the hot 90° summer days, there is not much better!It is very easy to drink. The color is a nice cloudy yellow with a 1" white foam head. Out of the Leinies summer brews this is right behind the Sunset Wheat for me.

chadj19, Mar 26, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +48.1%

I poured this beer this past weekend at Boise Beer Festival in Boise Idaho. I ended up having several of these over a few hours time. This beer was one of the most popular beers of the 200+ beers at the event. It was hot out so take that in count...

Appearance- hazy foggy yellow.
Smell-Lemon and hops
taste- Lemon and lots of citrus. there is a little hop showing in there as well.
mouthfeel- smooth lite and refreshing. It was creamy on a little level.
Overall- HEAVEN on a hot day. Seriously loved this beer...

isualum12, Aug 08, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +48.1%

I bought a six pack of this a few years ago. I polished off 5 bottles in 25 minutes, before I realized how much I had. This stuff is evil! I've sworn it off.

It goes down too easily. It's best to skip it, if you're thirsty. It tastes more like lemonade, than a beer.

sneakymagician, Apr 16, 2012
4.64/5  rDev +47.8%

Jester1011, Aug 19, 2014
4.6/5  rDev +46.5%

I have had summer shandy out of a can, bottle and on tap. I would avoid having most beers out of a can, if possible (just a personal preference). Again, if you have read any of my previous reviews I am a citrus aficionado.

A- This beer is a bright yellow when poured into a glass.

S- The smell is lemony sweetness with a bit of a honeyish culmination.

T- It tastes of a citrus, lemon medley of fruit and a bit of maltiness that you pick up in the middle of your palate. I like to savor each mouthful of this beer and drink it on a warm summer day.

M- The texture of this beer is soft on the tongue and enjoyable.

I would recommend anyone that like citrus flavored beer to try this beer. You won't be disappointed. Cheers!

Svyturys30, May 19, 2014
4.53/5  rDev +44.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I really liked this beer. Very refreshing. Lemonade is nice complement to the wheat. I could drink several of these on a hot summer afternoon or evening.

I would recommend that you try it. I think many of the reviews just missed the point of this beer.

My wife says it has a beautiful color (lemondrop). Very nice head. Lemon smell. Wheat beer initial flavor and nice lemonade finish.

Keep in mind that the kind of glass you use does make a difference in head, head retention, how it releases the aroma and ultimately how much you will enjoy it.

BobatHTBN, Jul 17, 2012