Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007

Ratings: 3,219 | Reviews: 677
2.63/5  rDev -16.8%

Light gold in color with intense haziness. Eggshell colored head covers part of the top of the beer. Intense aroma of lemon is all I get. The mouth is light and crisp. The flavor is dominated by the intense lemon flavor. That's rally all there is. Refreshing on a hot day. Would have enjoyed more if they had dialed back the lemon intensity.

2.62/5  rDev -17.1%

Poured a milky yellow with a thick and pillowy white head, a touch of lacing.

Smell had a strong lemony pledge like odor along with some hints of beer malts.

Flavor was pretty much as expected a light bit of lemongrass flavor mixing with the wheat and malt beer flavors, a very slight bit of hop bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is light and bubbly with a bit of a dry finish.

Overall not to good, the beer flavors are very minor and yeild to the dominance of the lemons. I rather like lemonade, and beer, but apperently not so much together.

2.62/5  rDev -17.1%

Pours a cloudy, bright yellow with a very lager like white head. Aroma is heavy on the lemonade and a bit grassy. Very light mouthfeel. Well-balanced, but thin and fairly bland. Wheat is present in the aftertaste. The finish is acidic. A little too much lemonade and not enough beer to back it up.

2.62/5  rDev -17.1%

a- bottle poured into a pint, half finger bubbly head, minimal lacing, hazy light yellow coloring, looks almost like a kicked up lemonade.

s- lemon right off, little wheat, flowery.

t- bittery lemony taste, another sip in the taste is more like 'fake lemonade' didn't do much for me, soury finish, not much wheat considering it's an apwa.

m- zesty, little thin.

d- wasn't a real fan, i got a little too much fake lemonade flavoring out of it, probably wouldn't have another.

2.62/5  rDev -17.1%

Bottle Inspection: Weiss beer with lemon, 4.2% abv.

Aroma: Lemon pulp, bright and fresh, and a candy soda like Sprite. Lemon is really nice, and a mineral water background.

Appearance: Very hazy yellow glass with a thin frothy white head that gives loopy lace.

Flavor: What should be a refreshing light lemon drink quickly turns over to a worty sweet flavor with a white doughy bread yeast finish that tastes like Bud.

Mouthfeel: Light body, heavy carbonation, clean finish, not rough like wheat normally is.

Overall Impression: Be a malternative already! I love lemon and this just doesn’t work. I don’t like everything that’s not lemon in this beer. Maybe a different beer base would help, the Weiss isn’t doing it.

Thanks to Pegasus for the sample

2.62/5  rDev -17.1%

12oz bottle poured into a weizen glass. Pours very pale straw, slightly cloudy with a 1 1/2 inch head the mostly disappeared. Some loose lacing that fell back into the beer.

Smells of grass, lemon, and some light spice.

This beer is dominated by the lemon. There were some softer malt/yeasty flavors and a hint of citrus other than lemon.

This beer was a bit thin, almost spritzy feel with medium carbonation.

Overall, this was a bit much. The label says "Weiss beer with lemon" so I was looking forward to something refreshing. Well the lemon was there, but I never did find the weiss beer part. It was light and ctirusy cool, but left me feeling more like I was holding a clear "malt" beverage than a beer. Too much lemon and way to sweet to even think about drinking more than one without getting a stomachache. Interesting, but more lemonade than beer. I won't be getting this one again.

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: looks rather nice in the glass. Very hazy light yellow color. Decent lacing around the rim of the glass that lasted most of the way down.

Smell: definitely sweet tart lemons, some grains, wheat and maybe floral hops. Lemon sweetness is kind of in your face.

Taste: nice flavor but has sort of a fake charm to it. I know the label says "beer mixed with lemonade" but it kind of has an overly sweet lemonade flavor. Remember the old country time lemonade mixes, just mix that with some beer. I just get a touch of grains and light wheat. Somewhat reminiscent of a sports drink flavor.
Sweetness might cause some people, like myself, to not be able to drink more than 1 or 2 of these.

This is not my type of beer. But then again, I guess, I have never had anything like this before so props for that and trying something new. Give it a try!

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy, cloudy whitish yellow with a thin lacing of crackling white head. It smells like artificial lemonade powder and grassy hops. The flavor is very similar; artificial lemonade, grassy hops, faint grainy notes. The mouthfeel is light bodied, a bit syrupy, sugary, but smooth.

This isn't nearly as bad as some other shandy-style beers I've had, but at the same time it's not good by any means. This is more lemonade than beer and artificial and sugary at that. I'll pass.

look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Ehh. Should come with a free skirt.

2.61/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: cloudy, hazy, light (slightly golden) yellow color, white head

Smell: lemon, citrus, grass, earthy

Taste: Sweet, citrus, lemon, vanilla, somewhat artificial flavors (doesn't seem authentic)

Mouthfeel: Lots of carbonation that overpowers a lot of the flavors (but not necessarily a bad thing)

Overall: Decent for a hot summer day, but does not have any outstanding qualities or attributes

07-13-2012
It was either this, Old Style, or MGD at Lawrel Liquors Tap, and I went with the lesser of 3 evils. I was on mile 10 of a bike ride and was thirsty. Coors Light pint glass filled to the brim with a razor thin line of foam across the top. Pale opaque pastel yellow color. Aroma was faintly of lemonade, but the packet mix stuff... artificial. It was virtually flavorless, flashes of lemonheads candy and club soda, dull papery aftertaste. Slugged about 5 sips and was on my way. Not much better than in the bottle, though it has a time and place if simply thirsty and presented with limited options.

07-07-2008
a/s/t/m/3.5/d/4

On tap at Pizzeria Uno in Madison, WI.

This was served in a Weisse glass with a lemon wedge. Color was an opaque pastel yellow with an orange glow to it. Thin cap of foam, partially killed by the lemon.

Some lemon juice and wheat aroma, fairly faint. I'm just glad it doesn't smell like overly sweet lemonade.

Prickly, natural lemon tartness at first, backed up by seltzer-like carbonation. Light wheat in the aftertaste, with the citrus lending a slight pucker. Light bodied and really quenching in the 80º weather. This isn't something i'm running out to buy cases of, but i'd order it again to pair with dinner on the patio.

Shandy = Beer + Lemonade... know what you're getting into, it's a pre-mixed beer cocktail, and obviously not solely a beer.

2.6/5  rDev -17.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a light pale color with little to no head and a slight lace. At first you can smell a faint whiff of wheat and then the lemon dominates. The taste starts off like the smell with a taste of wheat to begin with and then the lemons come through and finishes with a bitter citrus aftertaste. The mouthfeel is sharp with a sour bitterness from the lemon and a good amount of carbonation. Lawn mower beer.

2.6/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass this brew has a light straw color with a frizzly white head that pops. The aroma is of light malts and of course lemonade. Now I love a tall cold glass of lemonade as much as the other guy, but in my brew? My BA bud drizzam swears by this stuff. The taste is what you would think a light malt brew with lemonade and that is where it ends. The after taste is stale leaving a dry and almost stank taste in my mouth. I think it best to leave these two things separate, or at least to the women to drink in "hard" malt liquors.

2.6/5  rDev -17.7%

Tried this at a baseball game last night. I often will at least try seasonal offerings because well...they aren't always available. I had reasonably high hopes because I like regular Linenkugel. I was very disappointed. Way too much lemon flavor. Tastes more like lemonade than beer. Would not order again.

2.58/5  rDev -18.4%

Pours a cloudy washed out yellow color below a fizzy white head that quickly dies leaving a small white lacing rimming the glass.

An initial whiff tells me I've just poured a piece of lemon meringue pie into my glass, If I was wanting to get drunk off of a pie, my choice would have been apple pie Ala mode, but I guess drinking desert is just one of the reasons I drink.

The taste is all lemon drops, this I think is more like something the wine cooler people or maybe the Smirnoff guys would market.

The light aftertaste is a lingering lemonyness that would have been pretty dang good if I had remember to have some grilled salmon or halibut handy.

I think this would have been better if it has been 100 degrees outside, or maybe at the lakes, who knows.

I rated this beer kind of low for a couple of reason:

1) If I wanted to drink lemonade I would have bought some Country Time.
2) If I wanted to drink a overly lemony alcohol drink I would have bought some Bartle's and Jaymes or those little Jack Daniel's favored drinks.
3) I kind of like trying flavored beers, and seem to rebuy them if the taste is subdued and the taste of beer is still there, not so with this outing from Leinenugel's.

next...

2.58/5  rDev -18.4%

Served from bottle into a Samuel Smith Euro pint. Pours a hazy pale yellow color with one finger white head that slowly subsides. There is no apparent lacing throughout. The aroma is of a malt beverage with a massive lemonade note. The flavor of this brew is almost not flavor with a subtle lemonade hint. It is light on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this beer is not that enjoyable. Might be okay for getting someone off Mike's Hard Lemonade, but for an avid beer drinker, this is kind of blah...

Had on tap...

A- Poured a light hazed golden yellow color. I mean this color looked more like the crayloa crayon color unmellow yellow. One and a half finger white head shows light retention leaving light streaks on the side of the glass that fall back into the beer.

S- Lemon. This has a Country Time mix like aroma to it. This smells sugary sweet and there is not anything else that really comes through on the rest of the nose. Maybe a hint of grain but to be honest I gave up after about 5 minutes of trying to pick anything else out.

T- Artifical lemon comes out first and foremost with a sugary sweetness to it. This kind of tones down a slight bit showcasing a lemon zest kind of flavor toward the middle. Also in the middle there is a hint of wet grain which is the first flavor I can pick up on that wasn't lemon. Ending of the beer shows some more grain like flavor with a hint of wheat like flavor before being blasted into lemon land once again. It takes of lemon more than anything else.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation was high I thought for the beer but then again I have only had one other Shandy style beer to base this off of. Lemon, lemon, and more lemon is left on the palate and long into the aftertaste. Flavors were underbalanced with the lemon being a one sided flavor in this beer. No off flavors were present although the sweetness of the beer was in itself a little bit of a offness. Light alcohol drying on the palate with each sip but not really anything you'll notice.

O- This beer is not anything I look for when I go to the store or walk into a bar. It has a long underlying sweetness to it that I find a little too much for me. Not really sure I would drink this one again myself but if it were to be offered to me I don't think I could have more than one. More of a "girlie" type beer but seems to be loved by the masses stateside.

2.58/5  rDev -18.4%

I think this should almost be in the fruit beer category because of the strong lemon nature of this beer. Anyway this is what I think of it.

A - Poured a light hazy yellow looks close to lemonade big white head fades to an even cover fairly quick

S - Holly lemon scent batman didn't even have to get that close to be overpowered and theres a touch of wheat that fights through

T - Theres a lot of fake lemon flavor to this its like putting some country time in a wheat beer

M - The feel is actually average it has a lighter body with medium carbonation feels good at least

D - I don't really know about this one I don't think I can drink another full bottle of this stuff again I hope my wife drinks the rest of the six pack after all it was her idea to get this stuff

2.58/5  rDev -18.4%

This pours yellow with little head. Smells like lemon and tastes like lemonade mixed with a light lager. Light-bodied, but decently carbonated. This may be a session beer for some, but I could not drink more than two because it's too sweet and the taste just isn't for me.

2.56/5  rDev -19%

This was actually a lot better than I thought it would be. It's still not very good. Pale cloudy big white head. Not bad. Smells like lemons and nothing else. Doesn't really taste like anything but lemons. I'm not a big fan of wheat beers to begin with, and I'm definately not a fan of mixing beer with artificial flavors. That being said, it was somewhat refreshing. It is what it is. This tastes like a cheap wheat beer mixed with lemonade. That's because it is a cheap wheat beer mixed with lemonade. If that sounds good to you knock yourself out.

2.56/5  rDev -19%

A-pale hazy yellow and almost no head

S-Faint lemons not much else

T-It tastes like a shandy should...lemonade and beer but the flavors aren't very good. The lemon flavor over rides the beer flavor completely.

M-Very carbonated and watery. Very similar to the typical BMC.

O-Not impressed. I can see how a lot of folks would go for this in the summer but for me this beer seems to miss the mark

2.56/5  rDev -19%

Pours a clowdy pale straw, much like an american wheat. Big white head persists. Initial aroma is lemon, but some malt comes through as this beer warms up. First impression is lemonade with beer poured in it (given the bottle says "weiss beer with lemonade" I would say they hit this one almost right on the mark (I would say they need to reverse the order and call it lemonade with weiss beer). I wouldn't buy this stuff, but on a hot day it isn't bad, it goes down easy, but I keep burping up lemon!

2.56/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The finacee's favorite beer.

It's an attractive pale yellow with good haze and a white head. The flavor is a lot like lemon extract that you use for baking, which isn't to my tastes. I find a Radler a lot more charming, but this beats one I had once with actual, pulpy lemonade.

2.55/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy yellow. Looks like a cough drop. Half finger head. No retention.

This beer smells like a fart to me. A little bit of lemon and grass. Like you shoved a lemon up your ass and shit it back out.

Taste is not much better. Artificial lemon. Grass. Rotten grain. Very poor beer.

Mouthfeel is okay. Watery. High carbonation. Meh.

This beer is pretty gross. Wouldn't seek out.

2.53/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from my dual-tap kegerator into a pint glass. I normally wouldn't buy a lemonade flavored beer but from time to time, I have to give a tap choice to my wife and this is one her favorites during the summer. With that said, lets get on to the review.

Appearance: This pour is yellow and cloudy, typical of your unfiltered wheat beer. Average one-finger head that quickly diminishes.

Smell: Believe it or not, the lemonade aroma dominates. I mean really dominates. I can't smell much of anything else. Certainly not any beer aroma.

Taste: Yes sir, this is a lemonade beer. Not as bad as a lemonade flavor wine cooler, as it lacks the syrupy sweetness and thickness. I catch a faint background of a wheat beer trying desperately to come out, but the lemon flavor pushes back hard and says, "Not on my watch".

Mouthfeel: It has that lively carbonation and does go down effortlessly.

Overall: I'll be honest, if I'm out mowing the lawn in the 90 degree heat, plus high humidity weather, this beer would taste pretty darn good going down. Short of that, this beer didn't have the typical flavors of a good unfiltered wheat ale, which it tries to resemble. I liked it better than their Sunset Wheat, which was too sweet and cereal tasting for my liking. Give me my Allagash White Ale or Southampton Double White Ale for my summer drinking beer...

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company