Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007

Ratings: 3,224 | Reviews: 678

12oz twist-off bottle at fridge temp poured into a pint glass. best before oct 29, 12.

pours out a very cloudy, very light straw yellow color with a nice big tight, pure white head. very good retention as well as some nice thick lacing. lots of carbonation bubbles rushing to the top as well.

the aroma is pretty much straight up lemons. a little one dimensional, but theres no second guessing and nothing really fake about it.

again, some nice authentic lemon citrus is all over this with some grains and maybe even a touch of wheat as well.

smooth, somewhat creamy, good amount of carbonation. mega refreshing! mega drinkable!

call me crazy, but this is a really solid summer beer. so chugable. overall, it is a bit one dimensional with the lemon and all, but il definatly be drinking more of this. great ABV as well.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy brewed by Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company, with an ABV of 4.20% This brew pours out a nice cloudy amber color, with a nice white head. Summer Shandy is an unfiltered brew, you can not see though it. The smell of Summer Shandy is, sweet,with grains and malts and some spices. You pick up a hit of hops in the smell of this brew. Now for the taste, it is bold with flavor and citrus. You also pick up on grains , malts, and spices. There is nothing overpowering about Summer Shandy, it has a nice balance to it. The mouthfeel of Summer Shandy is clean smooth, and refreshing. I like how this brew is different form most brews on market. Overall I'm giving Summer Shandy a solid 4 out 5. Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company, did a nice job with this one. I would buy this brew again.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Delicious perfect summertime awesome beer

Appearance: This brew pours as a light yellow hazy wheat. The head is full yet not creamy. Lacings perceived. Pretty nice.

Smell: Lemon zingy! The intensity is about the same as one would expect hops in an IPA. I like this. Some sweet malt detected.

Taste: This is like a wheat beer mixed with lemonade. I do not detect (to any major amount) other citrus flavors. The general wheat-sweetness is very subdued. Very light in overall presence. Very little (if any) hop bitterness. However, sweetness is not overpowering.

Mouthfeel: VERY light in flavor. The palate stays clear. There is not the cloying sweetness of lemonade, however there is a residual malt sweetness. This is a GREAT selection for sitting around the pool in the summer. I approve highly.

Drinkability: This selection is very easy to drink. I would call this a "chick beer", but the lightness would go great on a hot summer day.

As mentioned earlier, this is most definitely a Radler.

Prosit!
Nikki

I recently found the Summer Shandy in a can and had to try it. It smells of lemon, and it definitely tastes like lemon. This beer goes down very smoothly. It would be easy to drink a lot of these. I'm surprised the rating is so low on here. This is a very decent summer beer. I recommend trying this beer if you haven't.

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Perfect break from IPA'S. A refreshing alternative to malt lemonade. Definitely summer in a bottle.

This beer is all about recovering from a hot long day of work or play. Don't expect malt or hop goodness. Expect a refreshing drink.

A: Cloudy yellow in appearance with a thin head that will lace down the glass if poured.
S: Smells of lemons on lemons with no hint of malt or hops; not a bad thing for this style in my opinion.
T: I liked this beer mainly because it was associated with good memories of when I lived in Bavaria where they would frequently mix a hefeweizen with lemonade making a "Radler." It is perfect for a hot summer day at the pool or just after coming inside.
M: Tiny bubbles, smooth.
D: Very similar to drinking lemonade... you can go until the citrus flavor as coated your tongue beyond comfort.

Different strokes for different folks on this one. I think Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy is awesome. It is a great summer beer when its hot as hell and you want something refreshing. Lemon beer sounds like a hideous combination admittledly but this is good stuff. I usually like beer from a glass, but here I prefer drinking from the can or bottle. Technically, this isn't good beer but a good shandy and should be judged as such. This is much better than the 72 rating would suggest.

I poured this beer into a perfect pint glass, it has a fizzy white head on top of a lemon yellow body. The smell is of fresh lemons. It taste nice of lemons, no hops to speak of. The mouth feel is nice and crisp. The beer overall i think is good for a nice summer beer.

Tasty and refreshing summer beer!

Great summer beer

This is a good beer to drink for any out door summer activities. Tastes like lemonade.

Purchased at Total Wine summer 2012.

mow the lawn and then partake in one of these... best they will ever taste

Refreshing beverage. Not too sweet.

3.99/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Had it on a brewery tour while in Wisconsin. Tasted amazing then. But tastes a little bit more pedestrian out of the bottle I bought here in San Francisco. Still pretty good wheat beer, though it does have a slightly bitter aftertaste that reminded me of real barley and hops lager. In my book that's a good thing, but based on the category of beer, I guess that would make it an "adjunct" by witbier standards.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this beer for the first time this weekend. It was one of the most refreshing beers I've ever had. Not for the beer drinker who doesn't like a light, summery beer. I expected it to be lemony since it says on the bottle that it's "lemonade beer", and it definitely was. I couldn't taste much wheat, but there were very vague traces. I don't think Leinenkugel was going for a beer that should be sipped, and has many different tastes, and I don't think they had the beer aficionado in mind when brewing it. But they succeeded at what they were going for.

3.97/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Looks light and like lemonade but nothing better in the summer

3.97/5  rDev +25.6%

This is a great crisp light body summer Ale. Cool refreshing Lemony beer to enjoy at the end of a summer day. This is my go to beer great cook outs and camping. It pours with a nice head and great carbonation. This beer makes it really feel like summer is here.

3.97/5  rDev +25.6%

Admittedly I'm a sucker for sweeter beers, but even I was skeptical at a lemonade/beer combo. However girly it may be, it is a delicious and refreshing beer that manages to eliminate all of the negatives of a malt beverage like Mike's Hard or a flavored beer like Bud Light Lime. There's no lingering sweetness, and isn't harsh on the stomach acid wise. You can taste the beer and the lemonade, but neither are bad. The flavors don't taste fake or forced. Great refreshing beer for a summer barbeque.

3.96/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A very refreshing beer to have in the summer because of the citrus flavor.

3.95/5  rDev +25%

Appearance: Pale, cloudy yellow. Like Hoegaarden. Not as much foam, but good lacing.

Smell: Lemon with an earthy lemongrass aroma as well. I would like this a bit stronger though.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Summer Shandy lives up to its billing as a mixture of lemonade and beer. I know they serve stuff like this in Germany, particularly in the Munich area. I have to say I find the taste quite pleasant and detect an acceptable amount of malt as well in the finish. I worried this would taste like Sprite. I'm glad to be wrong.

Drinkability: Hey, it's lemonade.

Overall: It's not the greatest beer in the planet. But really? Is that the point with Summer Shandy? No. It's meant to be a refreshing SUMMER SHANDY. On those grounds I give this beer a positive review.

3.95/5  rDev +25%

Appearance is pure gold with some cloudy. Smell is strong with lemon. Mouthfeel has some lingering to it, with a pleasant sweet tartness. The taste is strong with the lemon-aid. This is a great taste on a good hot 90 degree day here in PA. Overall this is a true seasonal beer, good in the summer. Let us have some burgers and dogs.

3.95/5  rDev +25%

Picked up a 6 pack of this because I didn't feel like having the taste of regular beer in my mouth the next morning. Easy to drink, Smells nice, Tastes like Lemons as everybody else has said. Though with the low alcohol content it doesn't really get you drunk. A good beer to pick up if you want to have some ladies over who can't handle any other beer. Something I'd drink from time to time if I needed a filler to keep my buzz going

3.94/5  rDev +24.7%

I gotta tell ya, I passed this beer up accouple times already think'n, I'll wait. I guess I was affraid of the ade, Lemonade that is.

knowing what to expect, helps.
The beer pours a cloudy, hazy, pulpy yellow straw color. A nice white head forms and maintains well. Lace is pretty good too. No fizz.

The aroma, Wow!! set back and enjoy thisone. The aroma just pops out at you with big lemon, citric lime and some wheat.

The taste is good, Lemon yes, but toned down a piece. Hints of lime, sugar and wheat or bread-like.

The mouthfeel is alittle thin, watered. If they add lemonade to the beer, perhaps why. Myself, leave the pulp in.

Drinkable yes, goes down easy. A real pleaser on a hot day. We'll reach 90's, Im saving accouple for that. The low abv. is non-intrusive and aids the beers use.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company