1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Leinenkugel's Summer ShandyLeinenkugel's Summer Shandy

Ratings: 2063

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)
View: Beers (34) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,063 | Reviews: 519 | Show All Ratings:
Alextricity

2.88/5  rDev -8%

Had straight from the can at suite in Comerica..

My sister told me before opening it up that it really just smells like lemonade, and that's basically right. There's definitely some adjuncty sorts of aromas in the background, but there's a distinct lemon smell. It's alright. I don't like to really smell adjunct lagers, but the lemonade makes this fairly pleasing.

Taste/feel: First sip was almost all lemonade again. As I continued to drink it, the cheap-taste bursted through. I have no idea if there even ARE adjuncts in this beer, but it smells and tastes like it to me. This beer's unoffensive, and would be easy to drink a few of. I wouldn't so much want to just sip on this at a bar or at home, but this worked at a Tiger game, and would no doubt be satisfying after a hot, sweaty day outside.

This is about what I expected from this beer. It's decent, but there's nothing special about it... there's a time and place for Summer Shandy.

08-30-2013 15:23:31 | More by Alextricity
dowen17

Alabama

2.58/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy yellow. Looks like a cough drop. Half finger head. No retention.

This beer smells like a fart to me. A little bit of lemon and grass. Like you shoved a lemon up your ass and shit it back out.

Taste is not much better. Artificial lemon. Grass. Rotten grain. Very poor beer.

Mouthfeel is okay. Watery. High carbonation. Meh.

This beer is pretty gross. Wouldn't seek out.

08-29-2013 00:52:30 | More by dowen17
Bierwolf

Missouri

3.38/5  rDev +8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

12 ounce bottle poured into a shaker style glass.

Appearance: Very cloudy, hazy dull yellow. So cloudy you can not see through it. White foam with a disappearing head however leaving nice lacing all the way down.

Aroma: Vanilla, lemon, lime and citrusy.

Taste: Citrusy. With me it was mostly lime on top with lemon in the background.

Palate: Smooth, creamy and medium bodied. Has a nice lingering sweet bite.

Over all: I am not a fan of these fruity summer beers. To be fair I had a 6 pack of these over a few days to give a review. The first one to me was horrible. The next not so bad. After finishing the pack this is really a refreshing summer drink. If you are looking for something with bold hops or really malty do not expect that with this beer. But it is definitely worth a try and you will enjoy it on a hot summer day.

08-27-2013 23:34:24 | More by Bierwolf
Celtics17

3.29/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Would I buy this beer normally? Probably not, but I usually pick up "Mystery Boxes" of beer. The price is right @ 16.95 for a case of 24 beers at Bevmo. This beer happened to be in the box, and it wasn't bad. It's drinkable, because it's heavy with lemonade. This is a beer for the ladies, easy to drink.

It tastes like candy, the artificial lemon tasted isn't there for me. It tasted more like lemonade. I do taste some wheat in this beer, but the lemon is dominant in this beer. I would pick this beer up in the summer on a hot day. Sometimes you can't judge a book by it's cover. This beer isn't like a Bud Light Lime, or something of that nature.

08-25-2013 07:44:22 | More by Celtics17
bradb717

4.2/5  rDev +34.2%

Ok first thing is first. I'm a slut for a good shandy, and I was already a little buzzed at a baseball game.
But I gotta tell ya, if you like lemony and beer this is a marriage that works.
Poured nicely with that rich golden lemon color.
The smell is fantastic, very summery.
Goes down smooth and finishes sweet. Overall a very good beer.
Unfortunate its not getting much love on this review page.

08-20-2013 18:21:11 | More by bradb717
spoony

Colorado

2.71/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

From a 355 ml bottle (best by November 4, 2013) into a mug.

A-A normal pour produces a milky, yellow brew with tan highlights. The brew has a thin white head to start, but it drops immediately to a collar.

S-The brew smells like Country Time lemonade mix, a mildly tart, fake-smelling lemon and sugar concoction. There is also a bit of wet wheat and spice, but not much else to suggest this is a beer.

T-The taste is also artificial lemon, with a bit of candy tartness/sweetness. There is a bit of cracker malt in here and some grain. Bleh.

M-The feel is thin with soda-pop like carbonation and very little substance.

O-I grabbed this beer as a sort-of palate cleanser before heading out for dinner. Oops. I suppose the palate cleansing was accomplished but at the cost of a few hundred calories that I didn't really enjoy. This brew is kinda ugly, fake smelling and tasting, and generally not very good. Buyer beware.

08-18-2013 19:39:18 | More by spoony
Mavigo

3.06/5  rDev -2.2%

Served in a pint.

A: Pours a cloudy, light, ricola lemon mint herb color with a 1/4 inch white head that dissipates fast leaving minimal lacing.

S: Smells of wheat, grains, grass, lemons predominate, smells kind of medicinal and like artificial sweeteners

T: Flavors are pretty faint, slightly lemonish, grains, grassy, meh

M: light body with lots of carbonation, lacking taste

O: Meh, this is alright. Good for sitting out in the hot sun like I am right now but you know, theres not much going on here, I can hardly taste any lemon. Great for berberques and all but I'd probably be better off making my own shandy's.

08-18-2013 15:32:23 | More by Mavigo
matthewlikesbeer

3.85/5  rDev +23%

Refreshing. Really easy to drink. Doesn't taste like beer, and doesn't taste like alcohol. Mostly a natural lemon drink with bubbles. Honestly I could drink an even more lemon-ey drink in higher ABV like this kind of style, but this tastes excellent and with no bitterness

08-13-2013 03:28:08 | More by matthewlikesbeer
jjamadorphd

3.89/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy was a refreshing and bold surprise. I had it indoors, but I think it would have truly and really hit the spot if I had had it outdoors on a hot night. Although cloudy to the eye, it is an appealing shade of yellow with some lacing. Not only can you distinctly taste the lemonade-like flavor to the beer, but you could smell it - which is a plus to me. It was a little too carbonated for my taste, but overall I really enjoyed it and will look for it again.

08-08-2013 03:38:48 | More by jjamadorphd
TeamMathis

West Virginia

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

Appearance: Cloudy, light orangish yellow.
Smell: Lemonade; Lemonheads.
Taste: Lemon, citrus.
Mouthfeel: Light carbonation.

Well, you could have handed me this in a can and I would have had no clue that it was a beer and not just a lemon citrus pop...which I'm sure is going to yield some rough ratings and reviews on here. However, to me, if it's a hot day, I'd take this in a heartbeat. It's very refreshing. I won't go out of my way to buy it, but if I can get it for cheap, count me in for a pack.

08-06-2013 03:11:01 | More by TeamMathis
57md

3.64/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a pale straw color with a finger of head that dissipated quickly. The lemon in the nose is quite potent. Light wheat flavor with the definite infusion of lemons. The finish is nicely dry but refreshing. This offering is perfect for a sweltering summer day.

An added plus is that it is union made by my brothers and sisters in the UAW.

08-05-2013 21:09:28 | More by 57md
Crmjr

2.83/5  rDev -9.6%

There is only one way to drink this. Buy a 6 pack and put in the back of your fridge. After spending that 95 degree day out doing yard work, make it the first thing you drink. The light lemony flavor goes down smooth and easy. It's so refreshing you may even want to have one more.

Then go back to your favorite beer for the rest of the day, saving the other Summer Shandys for the next heat wave.

As a beer I give a 2.5 rating. As lemonade I'll rate it a 2. Put them together it's a 4.5.
Just don't order it at your neighborhood bar - you will be disappointed. Unless that's where you go when your hot and sweaty.

07-31-2013 01:35:10 | More by Crmjr
JWearda

Iowa

3.26/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

S - Poured into a pint glass from the bottle.

A - Slightly cloudy, dark lemonade or golden color. One finger creamy, white head. Head disappeared pretty fast.

S - Lemon dominates the scent to a point where it really just smells like lemonade.

T - The general flavor is dominated by lemon but there is suggestions of malt. As the brew lingers on the taste buds, it finishes with a malted wheat flavor and the lemon fades away at the end. The malt reveals itself as I drink more but it isn't really exciting; I have to search for it.

M - Light body with slightly above average carbonation. Slight spritzy feel. Very refreshing and crisp finish.

O - Easy to drink on a warm summer day. Refreshing and a nice way to beat the heat, but it isn't enticing enough for me to want it more than the fact that it is a cool beverage. Perfect for when you finish mowing the lawn!

07-30-2013 14:27:18 | More by JWearda
Tr0janSlay3r

2.88/5  rDev -8%

Appearance- I actually really like the appearance. It is a very hazy brew that almost looks unfiltered (but it is). With an aggressive pour there is about a 1 finger head with very little retention. The color itself is a very pale yellow with a lot of haze to it.

Smell- Right off the initial nose, I of course get lime and lemon right away, but there is actually a decently strong vanilla aroma to it that I enjoy. With the second sniff, I get a faint malt mixed in with even more lime than before.

Taste- The initial taste is very mild with undertones of lime predominately. Immediately followed by almost a rancid malt after taste. If placed on the tip of the tongue the lemon does really pop out, with just a bit of that sweet smelling vanilla.

Mouthfeel- Incredibly watery and has a high drink-ability. I think this could definitely be a session beer for anyone because it is extremely thin and light.

Overall, Summer Shandy is decent. I would drink this as a lawn mower beer if someone gave me it. I would not ever buy it for myself mainly because that is not my go to brew. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a Shandy in the summer, but not to any serious craft beer fanatic.

07-28-2013 23:09:45 | More by Tr0janSlay3r
fingert

Oregon

4.15/5  rDev +32.6%

Had this on tap at Redamak's in New Buffalo Mi and it really cut through the amazing burger I had! The Summer Shandy has intense meyer lemon aromatics and taste, white flower florals, and a lightly crisp body. Extremely easy drinking with balanced juicy flavors.

07-27-2013 03:37:08 | More by fingert
Derek1984

4.83/5  rDev +54.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

I just tried this beer for the first time love the taste; flavor was wonderful. The smell reminded me of drinking lemonade when I was a kid.It had a smooth taste and was not over powering. this is one of my new favorites now will definitely be purchasingover and over again

07-27-2013 01:30:38 | More by Derek1984
NiceTaps

3.51/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can in a pint glass for this review. It's a beer that I've had a few times over the years, on tap and bottled also.

A-Very hazy, thick cloud texture of a light lemon color. The one-finger pure white color head fades fast to a thin film. Nice rings of lacing.

S- Fresh squeezed lemon in a light grainy lager.

T- Very light pale wheat with lemon notes. Just a touch of honey sweetness.

M- Citrus tang with carbonation snap. Light and refreshing , tart. No bitterness or evidence of alcohol.

O- A pleasing Summer brew. It's not rocket science or reinventing weiss beer, but the formula works. "An adventurous taste. Perfect for Summertime fun" is Leinie's slogan for it...I agree.

07-22-2013 23:29:05 | More by NiceTaps
Shackleford

3.26/5  rDev +4.2%

Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of shandy, but I found this particular brew to be enjoyable. The lemon flavor is very strong but it is not overwhelmingly sweet. Its a strange combination, like it doesn't know it it wants to be a beer or a mike's hard, but if this is the type of flavor you are looking for you will probably like it. My biggest complaint is the ABV. I was hoping for more than 4.2%

07-22-2013 05:04:34 | More by Shackleford
hdf561

3.88/5  rDev +24%

Have had this beer on draft, in bottle, in can and with an extra lemon slice and it is all GOOD

This in my opinion is the essential summer beer, it is light flavorful, drinkable it is everything you want in a summer beer.

Stop what you are doing go to the store, or the bar and have one of these you will not be disappointed. This beer puts the seasonal in seasonal brew and they do not disappoint.

I will continue to drink these during the summer as it has become my go to summer beer.

07-21-2013 23:44:13 | More by hdf561
kojevergas

2.51/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 fl oz aluminum can acquired as part of a variety box at Von's grocery and served into a Uinta pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are low given the brewery.

Served cold, straight from the refrigerator. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a five finger wide head of beige colour. Fair creaminess. Nice thickness. Okay frothiness. Retention is good - about 6+ minutes. No real lacing as the head recedes.

Body colour is a murky cloudy dull yellow-orange. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Overall, it's not looking good at all. Kind of crappy, to be honest.

Sm: Fake lemon zest. Artificial fruit esters. Sugary syrupy fruity crap. Clean malts. Just artificial through and through; not really appealing.

No yeast character or alcohol is detectable. An aroma of moderate to somewhat high strength.

T: Artificial lemon zest. Sugars. Light somewhat complementary floral hops. Pale malts. Clean barley. Imbalanced and overly sweet. Neither complex nor subtle. Feels like generic mass-produced crap.

No yeast character or alcohol comes through. Duration, intensity, and depth of flavour are lackluster.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Sugary texture leaves it a bit coarse. Overcarbonated. Lacks depth. Poor presence on the palate. Doesn't really suit the flavour all that well. Comes off artificial.

Dr: Drinkable, sure. But poorly executed. I wouldn't pay for it again, but I doubt I'd refrain from grabbing one from the cooler at a summertime party. It's bad, but downable. Best enjoyed without expectations that it'll be a beer. More of a garbage radler that you recognize is bad but drink for vague refreshment and tame inebriation. Meh.

Low C-

07-11-2013 05:07:52 | More by kojevergas
digitalflood

3.11/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy (2013) - I'm a big fan of the Shandy and summertime is the perfect time of year for this typical part fruit juice (normally lemonade), part beer, and a dash of honey brew typical of turn of the century Eastern European brewery's. The beer goes down much easier than it is to pronounce. Excellent thick foam head and strong lacing. Deep Weiss wheat yellow color. Full and cloudy body. Carbonation is good but not rising. Frothy in nature. Typical lemon shandy aroma. Minute maid with a dash of hops. Crisp light mouth feel. Very light beer in nature. Honey and lemon nose. Lemonade and lager mid-palate. Good hops skunk. Well lagered but "lightened" by the juice over tones. Back palate its all sugar water and just a hint of malt. A little oak. Not crisp. Dare I say wet. Almost too watered down on the aftertaste. My home mixed Shandies tend to have more bit on the palate. More malt. A thickness associated normally with the syrup of soda. Less wet. More sour. Maybe I'm picking a bit heavy here, but the Saranac Summer Shandy in this case from 2011 was much better. I would still pick this over a Mike's Hard Lemonade which has that "manufactured" feel to it. Too much sugar. Not enough beer. 3 out of 5. Okay. Needs improvement. Saving grace is a good lemon to honey balance along with high drinkability. I would kick this back while doing yard work or maybe just sitting by the pool. BBQ will wreck it and over power it-- Be forewarned.

07-10-2013 02:43:57 | More by digitalflood
Averwo

Iowa

3.1/5  rDev -1%

The idea of lemonade and light beer is interesting. I can see real lemonade and a light beer would be good together. I'll have to try that one day.

Leinenkugels version is a decent attempt.

Color is a dull yellow. Frothy head. Lots of carbonation which lends to it's soda like taste.

Smell is lemony and light beerish. Strong sent of lemon and grains.

Mouth feel is thin and soda like. Probably from the high carbonation.

Taste has an artificial lemonade taste. Mixed with a grainy finish. The less beer adventurous should love it. Almost no aftertaste other than a little lemon back end. The bottle says it's a weiss beer but I'm not really getting that from it. More like a cheap light beer with lemonade. I'll have to try regular Leinenkugels and see how it compares.

Overall it's a nice drink for summer. BBQ's or at the golf course. I don't see it as a sessional drink. But it is light and refreshing. Would be good on a hot day.

07-05-2013 23:07:28 | More by Averwo
Ry_Swell_Guy

2.25/5  rDev -28.1%

A very dull, overly sweat beer. Low ABV and very small amount of hops. Not a great beer for me, my neighbor loves it thought, so you very well may as well! It really tastes very lemony, but not subtle lemon like some beers I have had that are brewed with lemon rind, more like it was cut with lemonade or they used a very potent lemon extract.

07-05-2013 18:56:39 | More by Ry_Swell_Guy
ShawnB

District of Columbia

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Looks like a soda except for the frothy, thick white head. Similar color to fresca.

Smells good. Lemony in an artificial way, but very fresh smelling.

First note is of lemon flavor. Letting it sit a little in my mouth produces a grassy, fresh taste. After taste more of grass and lemon zest.

Heavily carbonated which works for this beer. Relatively thin, but again, that works for this beer.

Overall, this is a pleasant, refreshing beer that is perfect for summer. It's not going to wow anybody, but it's a solid offering in the style.

07-04-2013 01:32:49 | More by ShawnB

2.09/5  rDev -33.2%

I drank this directly out of the bottle around a campfire.

A- Since it was out of the bottle, I am scoring it AVERAGE.

S- I did take a whiff of it in the bottle and it was like lemony window cleaner. Just an awful combination of chemicals and grain. It wasn't a refreshing smell, but more of a lingering odor of a post-HazMat cleanup.

T- ew. I don't want to drink this. Lemony windex and corn. It fills my head with something I don't want, but I can't seem to get it out! It tastes like a really bad hefe mixed with Country Time Lemonade and salt. Why is it salty?!

M- It has a light and fizzy mouthfeel which is probably what they were looking for.

O- If you're presented with this at a BBQ this summer, pass. Grab a Coke or 7up instead

07-03-2013 19:11:41 | More by Michigan