2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Leinenkugel's Summer ShandyLeinenkugel's Summer Shandy

Ratings: 2069

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)
View: Beers (34) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,069 | Reviews: 520 | Show All Ratings:
TeamMathis

West Virginia

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

Appearance: Cloudy, light orangish yellow.
Smell: Lemonade; Lemonheads.
Taste: Lemon, citrus.
Mouthfeel: Light carbonation.

Well, you could have handed me this in a can and I would have had no clue that it was a beer and not just a lemon citrus pop...which I'm sure is going to yield some rough ratings and reviews on here. However, to me, if it's a hot day, I'd take this in a heartbeat. It's very refreshing. I won't go out of my way to buy it, but if I can get it for cheap, count me in for a pack.

08-06-2013 03:11:01 | More by TeamMathis
57md

3.64/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a pale straw color with a finger of head that dissipated quickly. The lemon in the nose is quite potent. Light wheat flavor with the definite infusion of lemons. The finish is nicely dry but refreshing. This offering is perfect for a sweltering summer day.

An added plus is that it is union made by my brothers and sisters in the UAW.

08-05-2013 21:09:28 | More by 57md
Crmjr

2.83/5  rDev -9.6%

There is only one way to drink this. Buy a 6 pack and put in the back of your fridge. After spending that 95 degree day out doing yard work, make it the first thing you drink. The light lemony flavor goes down smooth and easy. It's so refreshing you may even want to have one more.

Then go back to your favorite beer for the rest of the day, saving the other Summer Shandys for the next heat wave.

As a beer I give a 2.5 rating. As lemonade I'll rate it a 2. Put them together it's a 4.5.
Just don't order it at your neighborhood bar - you will be disappointed. Unless that's where you go when your hot and sweaty.

07-31-2013 01:35:10 | More by Crmjr
JWearda

Iowa

3.26/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

S - Poured into a pint glass from the bottle.

A - Slightly cloudy, dark lemonade or golden color. One finger creamy, white head. Head disappeared pretty fast.

S - Lemon dominates the scent to a point where it really just smells like lemonade.

T - The general flavor is dominated by lemon but there is suggestions of malt. As the brew lingers on the taste buds, it finishes with a malted wheat flavor and the lemon fades away at the end. The malt reveals itself as I drink more but it isn't really exciting; I have to search for it.

M - Light body with slightly above average carbonation. Slight spritzy feel. Very refreshing and crisp finish.

O - Easy to drink on a warm summer day. Refreshing and a nice way to beat the heat, but it isn't enticing enough for me to want it more than the fact that it is a cool beverage. Perfect for when you finish mowing the lawn!

07-30-2013 14:27:18 | More by JWearda
Tr0janSlay3r

2.88/5  rDev -8%

Appearance- I actually really like the appearance. It is a very hazy brew that almost looks unfiltered (but it is). With an aggressive pour there is about a 1 finger head with very little retention. The color itself is a very pale yellow with a lot of haze to it.

Smell- Right off the initial nose, I of course get lime and lemon right away, but there is actually a decently strong vanilla aroma to it that I enjoy. With the second sniff, I get a faint malt mixed in with even more lime than before.

Taste- The initial taste is very mild with undertones of lime predominately. Immediately followed by almost a rancid malt after taste. If placed on the tip of the tongue the lemon does really pop out, with just a bit of that sweet smelling vanilla.

Mouthfeel- Incredibly watery and has a high drink-ability. I think this could definitely be a session beer for anyone because it is extremely thin and light.

Overall, Summer Shandy is decent. I would drink this as a lawn mower beer if someone gave me it. I would not ever buy it for myself mainly because that is not my go to brew. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a Shandy in the summer, but not to any serious craft beer fanatic.

07-28-2013 23:09:45 | More by Tr0janSlay3r
fingert

Oregon

4.15/5  rDev +32.6%

Had this on tap at Redamak's in New Buffalo Mi and it really cut through the amazing burger I had! The Summer Shandy has intense meyer lemon aromatics and taste, white flower florals, and a lightly crisp body. Extremely easy drinking with balanced juicy flavors.

07-27-2013 03:37:08 | More by fingert
Derek1984

4.83/5  rDev +54.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

I just tried this beer for the first time love the taste; flavor was wonderful. The smell reminded me of drinking lemonade when I was a kid.It had a smooth taste and was not over powering. this is one of my new favorites now will definitely be purchasingover and over again

07-27-2013 01:30:38 | More by Derek1984
NiceTaps

3.51/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can in a pint glass for this review. It's a beer that I've had a few times over the years, on tap and bottled also.

A-Very hazy, thick cloud texture of a light lemon color. The one-finger pure white color head fades fast to a thin film. Nice rings of lacing.

S- Fresh squeezed lemon in a light grainy lager.

T- Very light pale wheat with lemon notes. Just a touch of honey sweetness.

M- Citrus tang with carbonation snap. Light and refreshing , tart. No bitterness or evidence of alcohol.

O- A pleasing Summer brew. It's not rocket science or reinventing weiss beer, but the formula works. "An adventurous taste. Perfect for Summertime fun" is Leinie's slogan for it...I agree.

07-22-2013 23:29:05 | More by NiceTaps
Shackleford

3.26/5  rDev +4.2%

Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of shandy, but I found this particular brew to be enjoyable. The lemon flavor is very strong but it is not overwhelmingly sweet. Its a strange combination, like it doesn't know it it wants to be a beer or a mike's hard, but if this is the type of flavor you are looking for you will probably like it. My biggest complaint is the ABV. I was hoping for more than 4.2%

07-22-2013 05:04:34 | More by Shackleford
hdf561

3.88/5  rDev +24%

Have had this beer on draft, in bottle, in can and with an extra lemon slice and it is all GOOD

This in my opinion is the essential summer beer, it is light flavorful, drinkable it is everything you want in a summer beer.

Stop what you are doing go to the store, or the bar and have one of these you will not be disappointed. This beer puts the seasonal in seasonal brew and they do not disappoint.

I will continue to drink these during the summer as it has become my go to summer beer.

07-21-2013 23:44:13 | More by hdf561
kojevergas

2.51/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 fl oz aluminum can acquired as part of a variety box at Von's grocery and served into a Uinta pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are low given the brewery.

Served cold, straight from the refrigerator. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a five finger wide head of beige colour. Fair creaminess. Nice thickness. Okay frothiness. Retention is good - about 6+ minutes. No real lacing as the head recedes.

Body colour is a murky cloudy dull yellow-orange. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Overall, it's not looking good at all. Kind of crappy, to be honest.

Sm: Fake lemon zest. Artificial fruit esters. Sugary syrupy fruity crap. Clean malts. Just artificial through and through; not really appealing.

No yeast character or alcohol is detectable. An aroma of moderate to somewhat high strength.

T: Artificial lemon zest. Sugars. Light somewhat complementary floral hops. Pale malts. Clean barley. Imbalanced and overly sweet. Neither complex nor subtle. Feels like generic mass-produced crap.

No yeast character or alcohol comes through. Duration, intensity, and depth of flavour are lackluster.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Sugary texture leaves it a bit coarse. Overcarbonated. Lacks depth. Poor presence on the palate. Doesn't really suit the flavour all that well. Comes off artificial.

Dr: Drinkable, sure. But poorly executed. I wouldn't pay for it again, but I doubt I'd refrain from grabbing one from the cooler at a summertime party. It's bad, but downable. Best enjoyed without expectations that it'll be a beer. More of a garbage radler that you recognize is bad but drink for vague refreshment and tame inebriation. Meh.

Low C-

07-11-2013 05:07:52 | More by kojevergas
digitalflood

3.11/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy (2013) - I'm a big fan of the Shandy and summertime is the perfect time of year for this typical part fruit juice (normally lemonade), part beer, and a dash of honey brew typical of turn of the century Eastern European brewery's. The beer goes down much easier than it is to pronounce. Excellent thick foam head and strong lacing. Deep Weiss wheat yellow color. Full and cloudy body. Carbonation is good but not rising. Frothy in nature. Typical lemon shandy aroma. Minute maid with a dash of hops. Crisp light mouth feel. Very light beer in nature. Honey and lemon nose. Lemonade and lager mid-palate. Good hops skunk. Well lagered but "lightened" by the juice over tones. Back palate its all sugar water and just a hint of malt. A little oak. Not crisp. Dare I say wet. Almost too watered down on the aftertaste. My home mixed Shandies tend to have more bit on the palate. More malt. A thickness associated normally with the syrup of soda. Less wet. More sour. Maybe I'm picking a bit heavy here, but the Saranac Summer Shandy in this case from 2011 was much better. I would still pick this over a Mike's Hard Lemonade which has that "manufactured" feel to it. Too much sugar. Not enough beer. 3 out of 5. Okay. Needs improvement. Saving grace is a good lemon to honey balance along with high drinkability. I would kick this back while doing yard work or maybe just sitting by the pool. BBQ will wreck it and over power it-- Be forewarned.

07-10-2013 02:43:57 | More by digitalflood
Averwo

Iowa

3.1/5  rDev -1%

The idea of lemonade and light beer is interesting. I can see real lemonade and a light beer would be good together. I'll have to try that one day.

Leinenkugels version is a decent attempt.

Color is a dull yellow. Frothy head. Lots of carbonation which lends to it's soda like taste.

Smell is lemony and light beerish. Strong sent of lemon and grains.

Mouth feel is thin and soda like. Probably from the high carbonation.

Taste has an artificial lemonade taste. Mixed with a grainy finish. The less beer adventurous should love it. Almost no aftertaste other than a little lemon back end. The bottle says it's a weiss beer but I'm not really getting that from it. More like a cheap light beer with lemonade. I'll have to try regular Leinenkugels and see how it compares.

Overall it's a nice drink for summer. BBQ's or at the golf course. I don't see it as a sessional drink. But it is light and refreshing. Would be good on a hot day.

07-05-2013 23:07:28 | More by Averwo
Ry_Swell_Guy

2.25/5  rDev -28.1%

A very dull, overly sweat beer. Low ABV and very small amount of hops. Not a great beer for me, my neighbor loves it thought, so you very well may as well! It really tastes very lemony, but not subtle lemon like some beers I have had that are brewed with lemon rind, more like it was cut with lemonade or they used a very potent lemon extract.

07-05-2013 18:56:39 | More by Ry_Swell_Guy
ShawnB

District of Columbia

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Looks like a soda except for the frothy, thick white head. Similar color to fresca.

Smells good. Lemony in an artificial way, but very fresh smelling.

First note is of lemon flavor. Letting it sit a little in my mouth produces a grassy, fresh taste. After taste more of grass and lemon zest.

Heavily carbonated which works for this beer. Relatively thin, but again, that works for this beer.

Overall, this is a pleasant, refreshing beer that is perfect for summer. It's not going to wow anybody, but it's a solid offering in the style.

07-04-2013 01:32:49 | More by ShawnB

2.09/5  rDev -33.2%

I drank this directly out of the bottle around a campfire.

A- Since it was out of the bottle, I am scoring it AVERAGE.

S- I did take a whiff of it in the bottle and it was like lemony window cleaner. Just an awful combination of chemicals and grain. It wasn't a refreshing smell, but more of a lingering odor of a post-HazMat cleanup.

T- ew. I don't want to drink this. Lemony windex and corn. It fills my head with something I don't want, but I can't seem to get it out! It tastes like a really bad hefe mixed with Country Time Lemonade and salt. Why is it salty?!

M- It has a light and fizzy mouthfeel which is probably what they were looking for.

O- If you're presented with this at a BBQ this summer, pass. Grab a Coke or 7up instead

07-03-2013 19:11:41 | More by Michigan
StArnoldFan

2.93/5  rDev -6.4%

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint

Bottle dated best by Sep 03 2013

Well I have to start by saying I was expecting a little more on this one, I live in Houston and I drink Live Oak Hefe on the reg and I always have it served with a lemon slice, so when I see this at the store say traditional Weisse with lemon I think it's something I could enjoy. Pours a cloudy lemonade color with a couple finger head that doesn't last, almost no lacing as the glass goes down. All lemon on the scent. More lemon on the taste than I would like for the style, I expected a Weisse with a lemon hint not a mixture of beer and lemonade. Overall, it's ok, I'm not going to pour it out or anything, but its defiantly not something I'm going to seek out again.

07-03-2013 01:00:32 | More by StArnoldFan
StonedTrippin

Colorado

3.69/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

this one is probably a bit underrated here on BA. its got a pale hazy yellow glow, with a sudsy white head aver an inch tall. the nose is akin to a decent Berliner Weiss, lactic and tart, while also lemony and light. it feels less like a half lager half lemonade than it does a brewed beer with lemon, its zesty and acidic, refreshing and light, very fresh, and the lemon presence is huge here. its got a nice drinkability, and is very easy down. good bubbles, minimal body, although not soda-like as some can be. I love how real the lemons taste, not artificial at all, and I think the proportions are right. ive been recently appreciating the shandy style, and this one is sort of the original in the united states. I like it much better than many other leiny offerings, and would be happy to have this constantly on deck all summer, especially in the mornings and early afternoons. really this is pretty good.

07-02-2013 22:12:15 | More by StonedTrippin
DeFaz

2.28/5  rDev -27.2%

With their cheesy commercials, Leinenkugel's presents a beer that we're supposed to find refreshing and that we're supposed to find fun. It is refreshing but it's not very fun. Mainly, it's just cheap beer flavored with lemons. I asked the bartender to take it back, and he did, understanding that he was only setting me up for disappointment when he gave it to me in the first place.

And that's pretty much it. Don't expect complexity. It will quench your thirst, sure, but at around $8.99/six pack, you're essentially getting a Mike's Hard Lemonade.

It's sweet, it has overpowering lemon flavor, and it kind of tastes like beer. It's a beer for people who don't like beer, and Leinenkugel's will try to make you feel good about drinking it.

07-02-2013 00:41:36 | More by DeFaz
scottfrie

2.44/5  rDev -22%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle into SA perfect pint.

A: Pours a hazy, chalky, burnt yellow with a very fizzy bright white head that quickly faded into a thin film.
S: Huge sweet notes of lemonade and Sprit. Faint notes of wheat and chalky bready yeast poke through, but for the most part this is an onslaught of sugar and lemon syrup.
T: Thankfully way more of the base beer comes through in the taste. Run of the mill witbier flavors of wheat, dry grains, chalk, and bread come through next to synthetic flavors of sugary lemon candy and mineral water. Very light flavors all-around. Juicy lemon finish but a medicinal kind of syrupy lemoness lingers after the swallow.
M: Ultra frothy carbonation foams up in my mouth and takes away from this beers drinkability. Medium-light body but a foamy, soft and airy mouthfeel.
O: Could be worse but just too synthetic and soda-like for me to love. Really does taste like sprit lemon aid. Carbonation is distracting.

06-15-2013 01:12:08 | More by scottfrie
archyquaffer

Montana

3.56/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 ounce longneck twisty cap into a Shaker pint glass. A moderate pour produces about 1/2 inch of creamy white head, which dissipates quickly but still coats the sides of the glass. I see myriad swirls of carbonation dimly through the hazy, yellowish-orange brew. The beer really looks like liquid lemon meringue pie.

I can definitely smell lemon with perhaps a bit of corn mash and a whiff of aromatic hops. Very distinct lemon taste on the tongue- it actually tastes like real lemon. Despite the fruity flavor, a light malt taste shines through, along with a kiss of earthy hops. The body is light, yet the mouth feel is creamy. I think maybe the beer could use more bitterness provided by some hops with a light citrusy character, which would compliment the lemon quite well.

This is about the best commercial shandy I've tried. I really like this as a lunch beer when the weather gets hot.

06-12-2013 03:11:15 | More by archyquaffer
scomstock55

Kansas

2.94/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A--poured a murky unfiltered yellow with a slight wispy head that was gone in a flash...very little lacing

S--smelled very much like a lemon-drop candy. Faintly sweet citrus aroma

T--very citrusy...almost like lemon tonic very refreshing flavor...

M--crispy dry finish...light with very little after taste of feel on the tongue
\
O--an okay beer that would be good on a very hot day...easy to drink and easy to find

06-10-2013 13:52:23 | More by scomstock55
pjkelley82

3.39/5  rDev +8.3%

I was very surprised by this beer. Thought the lemon would be overpowering but only had hints of it. I mean you can smell and taste that it's there but it's not too overpowering for me. Had a good wheat appearance, decent head, nothing to brag about. Only downer for me was it was about average on the beer end of it. I think it would be allot better in the heat of the summer bit if there was nothing else I'd get it again..

06-09-2013 04:49:44 | More by pjkelley82
Oakenator

3.69/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

A: Frothy white head is thick at pour. Fizzy yellow in color. Sparse lacing.

S: Lemon dominates a refreshing wheat smell.

T: Wheat flavor up front quickly turns to a strong lemon presence (expected).

M: Fizzy. But still refreshing on a warm afternoon.

O: Sessionable if you can handle the constant barrage of lemonade.

06-09-2013 01:08:33 | More by Oakenator
gillagorilla

Maryland

12oz. bottle poured into a Flying Dog goblet

A: A hazy blonde, that is quite cloudy. Not a very pleasing color.

S: Just kind of like a yeasty, sweet smelling "beer", but that is it. It is a very flat smell.

T: Slightly sweet with just a tinge of lemon in there. There is the standard beer taste in there but it is very flat and mild.

M: Almost no carbonation, with a barely perceptible bit of it at the end in the form of a few light tiny bubbles that seems to just brush your tongue like a feather.

O: I got this after trying Fentiman's Shandy, which I got because I had heard of this Shandy and looked up the style. Fentiman's is sweet and tastes almost like a cola, but this is more towards the beer and lemon side of it.

06-03-2013 03:14:31 | More by gillagorilla