1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Leinenkugel's Summer ShandyLeinenkugel's Summer Shandy

Ratings: 2063

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)
View: Beers (34) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,063 | Reviews: 519 | Show All Ratings:
Derek1984

4.83/5  rDev +54.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

I just tried this beer for the first time love the taste; flavor was wonderful. The smell reminded me of drinking lemonade when I was a kid.It had a smooth taste and was not over powering. this is one of my new favorites now will definitely be purchasingover and over again

07-27-2013 01:30:38 | More by Derek1984
NiceTaps

3.51/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can in a pint glass for this review. It's a beer that I've had a few times over the years, on tap and bottled also.

A-Very hazy, thick cloud texture of a light lemon color. The one-finger pure white color head fades fast to a thin film. Nice rings of lacing.

S- Fresh squeezed lemon in a light grainy lager.

T- Very light pale wheat with lemon notes. Just a touch of honey sweetness.

M- Citrus tang with carbonation snap. Light and refreshing , tart. No bitterness or evidence of alcohol.

O- A pleasing Summer brew. It's not rocket science or reinventing weiss beer, but the formula works. "An adventurous taste. Perfect for Summertime fun" is Leinie's slogan for it...I agree.

07-22-2013 23:29:05 | More by NiceTaps
Shackleford

3.26/5  rDev +4.2%

Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of shandy, but I found this particular brew to be enjoyable. The lemon flavor is very strong but it is not overwhelmingly sweet. Its a strange combination, like it doesn't know it it wants to be a beer or a mike's hard, but if this is the type of flavor you are looking for you will probably like it. My biggest complaint is the ABV. I was hoping for more than 4.2%

07-22-2013 05:04:34 | More by Shackleford
hdf561

3.88/5  rDev +24%

Have had this beer on draft, in bottle, in can and with an extra lemon slice and it is all GOOD

This in my opinion is the essential summer beer, it is light flavorful, drinkable it is everything you want in a summer beer.

Stop what you are doing go to the store, or the bar and have one of these you will not be disappointed. This beer puts the seasonal in seasonal brew and they do not disappoint.

I will continue to drink these during the summer as it has become my go to summer beer.

07-21-2013 23:44:13 | More by hdf561
kojevergas

2.51/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 fl oz aluminum can acquired as part of a variety box at Von's grocery and served into a Uinta pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are low given the brewery.

Served cold, straight from the refrigerator. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a five finger wide head of beige colour. Fair creaminess. Nice thickness. Okay frothiness. Retention is good - about 6+ minutes. No real lacing as the head recedes.

Body colour is a murky cloudy dull yellow-orange. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Overall, it's not looking good at all. Kind of crappy, to be honest.

Sm: Fake lemon zest. Artificial fruit esters. Sugary syrupy fruity crap. Clean malts. Just artificial through and through; not really appealing.

No yeast character or alcohol is detectable. An aroma of moderate to somewhat high strength.

T: Artificial lemon zest. Sugars. Light somewhat complementary floral hops. Pale malts. Clean barley. Imbalanced and overly sweet. Neither complex nor subtle. Feels like generic mass-produced crap.

No yeast character or alcohol comes through. Duration, intensity, and depth of flavour are lackluster.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Sugary texture leaves it a bit coarse. Overcarbonated. Lacks depth. Poor presence on the palate. Doesn't really suit the flavour all that well. Comes off artificial.

Dr: Drinkable, sure. But poorly executed. I wouldn't pay for it again, but I doubt I'd refrain from grabbing one from the cooler at a summertime party. It's bad, but downable. Best enjoyed without expectations that it'll be a beer. More of a garbage radler that you recognize is bad but drink for vague refreshment and tame inebriation. Meh.

Low C-

07-11-2013 05:07:52 | More by kojevergas
digitalflood

3.11/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy (2013) - I'm a big fan of the Shandy and summertime is the perfect time of year for this typical part fruit juice (normally lemonade), part beer, and a dash of honey brew typical of turn of the century Eastern European brewery's. The beer goes down much easier than it is to pronounce. Excellent thick foam head and strong lacing. Deep Weiss wheat yellow color. Full and cloudy body. Carbonation is good but not rising. Frothy in nature. Typical lemon shandy aroma. Minute maid with a dash of hops. Crisp light mouth feel. Very light beer in nature. Honey and lemon nose. Lemonade and lager mid-palate. Good hops skunk. Well lagered but "lightened" by the juice over tones. Back palate its all sugar water and just a hint of malt. A little oak. Not crisp. Dare I say wet. Almost too watered down on the aftertaste. My home mixed Shandies tend to have more bit on the palate. More malt. A thickness associated normally with the syrup of soda. Less wet. More sour. Maybe I'm picking a bit heavy here, but the Saranac Summer Shandy in this case from 2011 was much better. I would still pick this over a Mike's Hard Lemonade which has that "manufactured" feel to it. Too much sugar. Not enough beer. 3 out of 5. Okay. Needs improvement. Saving grace is a good lemon to honey balance along with high drinkability. I would kick this back while doing yard work or maybe just sitting by the pool. BBQ will wreck it and over power it-- Be forewarned.

07-10-2013 02:43:57 | More by digitalflood
Averwo

Iowa

3.1/5  rDev -1%

The idea of lemonade and light beer is interesting. I can see real lemonade and a light beer would be good together. I'll have to try that one day.

Leinenkugels version is a decent attempt.

Color is a dull yellow. Frothy head. Lots of carbonation which lends to it's soda like taste.

Smell is lemony and light beerish. Strong sent of lemon and grains.

Mouth feel is thin and soda like. Probably from the high carbonation.

Taste has an artificial lemonade taste. Mixed with a grainy finish. The less beer adventurous should love it. Almost no aftertaste other than a little lemon back end. The bottle says it's a weiss beer but I'm not really getting that from it. More like a cheap light beer with lemonade. I'll have to try regular Leinenkugels and see how it compares.

Overall it's a nice drink for summer. BBQ's or at the golf course. I don't see it as a sessional drink. But it is light and refreshing. Would be good on a hot day.

07-05-2013 23:07:28 | More by Averwo
Ry_Swell_Guy

2.25/5  rDev -28.1%

A very dull, overly sweat beer. Low ABV and very small amount of hops. Not a great beer for me, my neighbor loves it thought, so you very well may as well! It really tastes very lemony, but not subtle lemon like some beers I have had that are brewed with lemon rind, more like it was cut with lemonade or they used a very potent lemon extract.

07-05-2013 18:56:39 | More by Ry_Swell_Guy
ShawnB

District of Columbia

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Looks like a soda except for the frothy, thick white head. Similar color to fresca.

Smells good. Lemony in an artificial way, but very fresh smelling.

First note is of lemon flavor. Letting it sit a little in my mouth produces a grassy, fresh taste. After taste more of grass and lemon zest.

Heavily carbonated which works for this beer. Relatively thin, but again, that works for this beer.

Overall, this is a pleasant, refreshing beer that is perfect for summer. It's not going to wow anybody, but it's a solid offering in the style.

07-04-2013 01:32:49 | More by ShawnB

2.09/5  rDev -33.2%

I drank this directly out of the bottle around a campfire.

A- Since it was out of the bottle, I am scoring it AVERAGE.

S- I did take a whiff of it in the bottle and it was like lemony window cleaner. Just an awful combination of chemicals and grain. It wasn't a refreshing smell, but more of a lingering odor of a post-HazMat cleanup.

T- ew. I don't want to drink this. Lemony windex and corn. It fills my head with something I don't want, but I can't seem to get it out! It tastes like a really bad hefe mixed with Country Time Lemonade and salt. Why is it salty?!

M- It has a light and fizzy mouthfeel which is probably what they were looking for.

O- If you're presented with this at a BBQ this summer, pass. Grab a Coke or 7up instead

07-03-2013 19:11:41 | More by Michigan
StArnoldFan

2.93/5  rDev -6.4%

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint

Bottle dated best by Sep 03 2013

Well I have to start by saying I was expecting a little more on this one, I live in Houston and I drink Live Oak Hefe on the reg and I always have it served with a lemon slice, so when I see this at the store say traditional Weisse with lemon I think it's something I could enjoy. Pours a cloudy lemonade color with a couple finger head that doesn't last, almost no lacing as the glass goes down. All lemon on the scent. More lemon on the taste than I would like for the style, I expected a Weisse with a lemon hint not a mixture of beer and lemonade. Overall, it's ok, I'm not going to pour it out or anything, but its defiantly not something I'm going to seek out again.

07-03-2013 01:00:32 | More by StArnoldFan
StonedTrippin

Colorado

3.69/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

this one is probably a bit underrated here on BA. its got a pale hazy yellow glow, with a sudsy white head aver an inch tall. the nose is akin to a decent Berliner Weiss, lactic and tart, while also lemony and light. it feels less like a half lager half lemonade than it does a brewed beer with lemon, its zesty and acidic, refreshing and light, very fresh, and the lemon presence is huge here. its got a nice drinkability, and is very easy down. good bubbles, minimal body, although not soda-like as some can be. I love how real the lemons taste, not artificial at all, and I think the proportions are right. ive been recently appreciating the shandy style, and this one is sort of the original in the united states. I like it much better than many other leiny offerings, and would be happy to have this constantly on deck all summer, especially in the mornings and early afternoons. really this is pretty good.

07-02-2013 22:12:15 | More by StonedTrippin
DeFaz

2.28/5  rDev -27.2%

With their cheesy commercials, Leinenkugel's presents a beer that we're supposed to find refreshing and that we're supposed to find fun. It is refreshing but it's not very fun. Mainly, it's just cheap beer flavored with lemons. I asked the bartender to take it back, and he did, understanding that he was only setting me up for disappointment when he gave it to me in the first place.

And that's pretty much it. Don't expect complexity. It will quench your thirst, sure, but at around $8.99/six pack, you're essentially getting a Mike's Hard Lemonade.

It's sweet, it has overpowering lemon flavor, and it kind of tastes like beer. It's a beer for people who don't like beer, and Leinenkugel's will try to make you feel good about drinking it.

07-02-2013 00:41:36 | More by DeFaz
scottfrie

2.44/5  rDev -22%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle into SA perfect pint.

A: Pours a hazy, chalky, burnt yellow with a very fizzy bright white head that quickly faded into a thin film.
S: Huge sweet notes of lemonade and Sprit. Faint notes of wheat and chalky bready yeast poke through, but for the most part this is an onslaught of sugar and lemon syrup.
T: Thankfully way more of the base beer comes through in the taste. Run of the mill witbier flavors of wheat, dry grains, chalk, and bread come through next to synthetic flavors of sugary lemon candy and mineral water. Very light flavors all-around. Juicy lemon finish but a medicinal kind of syrupy lemoness lingers after the swallow.
M: Ultra frothy carbonation foams up in my mouth and takes away from this beers drinkability. Medium-light body but a foamy, soft and airy mouthfeel.
O: Could be worse but just too synthetic and soda-like for me to love. Really does taste like sprit lemon aid. Carbonation is distracting.

06-15-2013 01:12:08 | More by scottfrie
archyquaffer

Montana

3.56/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 ounce longneck twisty cap into a Shaker pint glass. A moderate pour produces about 1/2 inch of creamy white head, which dissipates quickly but still coats the sides of the glass. I see myriad swirls of carbonation dimly through the hazy, yellowish-orange brew. The beer really looks like liquid lemon meringue pie.

I can definitely smell lemon with perhaps a bit of corn mash and a whiff of aromatic hops. Very distinct lemon taste on the tongue- it actually tastes like real lemon. Despite the fruity flavor, a light malt taste shines through, along with a kiss of earthy hops. The body is light, yet the mouth feel is creamy. I think maybe the beer could use more bitterness provided by some hops with a light citrusy character, which would compliment the lemon quite well.

This is about the best commercial shandy I've tried. I really like this as a lunch beer when the weather gets hot.

06-12-2013 03:11:15 | More by archyquaffer
scomstock55

Kansas

2.94/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A--poured a murky unfiltered yellow with a slight wispy head that was gone in a flash...very little lacing

S--smelled very much like a lemon-drop candy. Faintly sweet citrus aroma

T--very citrusy...almost like lemon tonic very refreshing flavor...

M--crispy dry finish...light with very little after taste of feel on the tongue
\
O--an okay beer that would be good on a very hot day...easy to drink and easy to find

06-10-2013 13:52:23 | More by scomstock55
pjkelley82

3.39/5  rDev +8.3%

I was very surprised by this beer. Thought the lemon would be overpowering but only had hints of it. I mean you can smell and taste that it's there but it's not too overpowering for me. Had a good wheat appearance, decent head, nothing to brag about. Only downer for me was it was about average on the beer end of it. I think it would be allot better in the heat of the summer bit if there was nothing else I'd get it again..

06-09-2013 04:49:44 | More by pjkelley82
Oakenator

3.69/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

A: Frothy white head is thick at pour. Fizzy yellow in color. Sparse lacing.

S: Lemon dominates a refreshing wheat smell.

T: Wheat flavor up front quickly turns to a strong lemon presence (expected).

M: Fizzy. But still refreshing on a warm afternoon.

O: Sessionable if you can handle the constant barrage of lemonade.

06-09-2013 01:08:33 | More by Oakenator
gillagorilla

Maryland

12oz. bottle poured into a Flying Dog goblet

A: A hazy blonde, that is quite cloudy. Not a very pleasing color.

S: Just kind of like a yeasty, sweet smelling "beer", but that is it. It is a very flat smell.

T: Slightly sweet with just a tinge of lemon in there. There is the standard beer taste in there but it is very flat and mild.

M: Almost no carbonation, with a barely perceptible bit of it at the end in the form of a few light tiny bubbles that seems to just brush your tongue like a feather.

O: I got this after trying Fentiman's Shandy, which I got because I had heard of this Shandy and looked up the style. Fentiman's is sweet and tastes almost like a cola, but this is more towards the beer and lemon side of it.

06-03-2013 03:14:31 | More by gillagorilla
damndirtyape

3.19/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

16 oz can poured into a shaker pint glass. Best before Jun1013. Batch stamp F01140030

Appearance: Very cloudy / translucent light yellow beer with a bone white head that died down slowly over time to leave just a thick ring at the edge. Some initial lacing, but gone by about halfway through the beer.

Smell: Grainy, with a hint of lemonade to it.

Taste: Light, crisp. Very much like a light beer mixed with lemonade. Crisp and clean malt up front, then that lemonade sweetness in the middle, and a mild lemon tart finish. Tasty enough.

Mouthfeel: Lightly fizzy, with some of the stickiness and juiciness you would expect from a lemonade mixed with a beer.

Overall / Drinkability: I think this is pretty close to being a real shandy - just wish the beer had more backbone to it and then I think it would be a more interesting beer rather than just an average one. However, I will give it high marks for being quite drinkable and refreshing. Otherwise nothing special.

05-27-2013 22:59:19 | More by damndirtyape
Miykael

Nebraska

4.69/5  rDev +49.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Never heard of this beer until I moved to Omaha. Some guests left it behind at my hotel so I decided to try it. My first drink made me smile. It was not what I expected when drinking a beer. The bubbles reminded me of a soda pop, lemon and orange. Easy to drink. Found just in time to kick off summer.

05-27-2013 04:19:57 | More by Miykael
brewskifan55

Mississippi

2.63/5  rDev -16%

Poured into a snifter

A: Light gold. A white half finger head that turned to a silky covering of tiny bubbles. Great lacing.

S: Lemons, light, zesty, fresh.

T: Kinda dry. Flat, watered down lemonade. Lemons should be stronger. Great lemon belches, though.

M: Medium, dry. Frothy carbonation.

O: Not impressed. The smell far outweighs the taste. Almost like a Michelob Ultra.

05-16-2013 19:00:52 | More by brewskifan55
Dave_in_GR

3.06/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance is really interesting - a bright, opaque yellow. There is about a finger-width of foamy head, but it disappears fairly quickly - typical for a citrus beer.

Smell is dominated by lemon, not much else going on there.

Taste is very tart and lemon. It is pretty pleasant for a warm day, but not much "beer" flavor.

Mouthfeel is nice, great amount of carbonation and a very dry finish. Very easy to drink.

Overall, this is my wife's favorite beer and I can see why - it is easy to drink and extremely refreshing. I also like that it isn't overly sweet. I'm more of a fan of subtle fruit beers, however, and the lemon is a bit overpowering for me.

05-14-2013 19:28:35 | More by Dave_in_GR
bbluemzbeer

This a great drank ! An A rating for sure, this not a beer but this type of beer usually has mixed with citrus-flavor, lemonade, cider . It is great on hot summer days, Laying on the beach, boating if you are not driving.If you are looking for IPA, pilsner, or sout this beer is not for you.

Appearance is a yellow, orange . The head is retains well.

Smells : lemons, and a some bit of malt and hops

TAste: It taste like lmeons malts and hops. It is very nice balce to it.

Mouthfeel: Is has a great mouthfeel . It is on the light side of medium.

Overall: A great beer to refresh your mouth on a summer day . I am glad six pack of this last night. I will be buying more of this beer in future. Ths is a grea beer!

05-14-2013 15:42:16 | More by bbluemzbeer
socon67

2.64/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A - Cloudy yellow pour with a thin white head. Looks like a margarita...

S - Scents of lemon, light grains and floral scents. Unfortuantely the lemon smell is to much like cleaning solvent.

T - Refreshing and a fun witbier but this goes too far to the Mike's Hard Lemonade route and is more tart and sweet than subtle. I like lemon but this is a bit artificial.

M - On a warm day this would be refreshing. In that vein this does the trick. But it is barely what I'd call beer. Too much lemon flavoring.

O - For the non beer beer drinker this may be a fun thing to try. Craft enthusiasts should pass.

05-09-2013 22:31:48 | More by socon67