Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)
4.78/5  rDev +52.2%

A- Has a very cloudy, pale, yellow color with a foamy head to it.

S- Strong smell of lemons and wheat.

T- When they say brewed with lemonade Leinenkugels means it. Strong lemon start with a wheat beer finish, very enjoyable.

M- Smooth and quite refreshing actually a nice thirst quencher.

O- Easily drinkable, great taste, wish it was available year round. Perfect beer for summer. I've had it tap, bottle, and can equally enjoyable each time.

cstrong821, Aug 20, 2011
2.98/5  rDev -5.1%

Beer poured from bottle into a Tulip shaped glass

A - Beer poured with a two finger white colored head; looks great; held well; beer body was opaque and had a hazy yellow color to it; some lacing formed but didn't stick very long; well carbonated

S - Strong lemon scents, reminds me a bit of lemonade; not much of a malt scent; can't really get a sense of what else there is in there; very sugary and sweet; fruit; citrus

T - Rinse and soapy lemon taste; not much malt flavor to it; sugary leftover, taste more like a Crystal Light lemonade than a beer; not very impressed with this, could use a better balance of malt flavors

M - Creamy mouth feel; not much bitterness, which is fine in some cases, but since it's made with hops, I would expect some pine, grass or hop notes; lingering sour lemon taste, fads very quickly; effervescent tongue feel

D - Overall, would make a good summer drink; not something I would more than one of, the sour and sugary lemon taste is a little too much

ferrari29, Aug 18, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -1.9%

A- Pours the palest, cloudiest I've seen a beer. Ample foamy head that laces pretty nicely even though it doesn't stick around long.

S- Probably the strongest part of this pour. Makes me think "candy beer." I'm not sure what that means, but that's what hit me first.

T- Right off the bat, I thought I would love this beer. Sweet initial taste, but then it kind of goes south. It has the same wheat taste that Leinie's Honey Weiss and Sunset Wheat have, except it doesn't mesh well with the lemon to me. Still, not a terrible taste for a light summer brew, just not my taste.

M- Light as they come. You could pound these for a good while and barely notice.

O- Probably not going to seek this one out often. It could be great after a long, hot day of yard work, but not many other times than that.

boilermakerbrew, Aug 15, 2011
3.6/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a hazy deep yellow color with a small white foam head. There is some lacing left behind.

S: Was quite clean on the nose. Ample amounts of vibrant lemon zest, oranges, limes, wheat and white bread.

T: A step below the smell, but starts off with a tart lemon taste. In the middle there is some more lemon, but the white bread, wheat and oranges come through. On the back end the lemonade taste comes back to the forefront.

M: Very clean and refreshing. Leaves a tart lemon taste on the palate. Could use a little more carbonation.

O: I was a little surprised by this brew. A 'lemonade' beer is not something I normally would drink but found this quite refreshing. Not sure how many I could have in a sitting, but on a hot humid day doing yard work, this would be a good choice.

IronCitySteve, Aug 14, 2011
3.45/5  rDev +9.9%

I shared this with the mrs. -into a pint chilled.

The color is slightly hazy like lemonade golden yellow with rocky white cap that retains ok and has small beading. The carbonation is visible and lace sticks haphazardly. The smell is kind of lemony, but a little like lemon pledge without much beyond that. the feel is good with slight juicy citric bite and refreshing feel of semi-high carbonation with slightly clean and semi-dry finish with only a slight amount of sweetness throughout. Tangy and somewhat like lemonade in that it starts sweet and the tartness comes later.

The tastes is actually better than I expected with nice lemony and slight citrus peel tinges with slight malt flavor rounding out the flavor with slight astringent in the back of the throat like lemonade but the shandy maintains a balance of mild malt with tart lemon and seems to finish uncannily clean. Overall what can I say - I like this as a summer quencher and could probably enjoy this year round it is really decent if you enjoy arnold palmers or tea coolers depending on what you refer to them as. The malt is mild and the lemony flavor refreshes in a natural way. I consider this pretty decent for what it is.

Slatetank, Aug 12, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +48.1%

I poured this beer this past weekend at Boise Beer Festival in Boise Idaho. I ended up having several of these over a few hours time. This beer was one of the most popular beers of the 200+ beers at the event. It was hot out so take that in count...

Appearance- hazy foggy yellow.
Smell-Lemon and hops
taste- Lemon and lots of citrus. there is a little hop showing in there as well.
mouthfeel- smooth lite and refreshing. It was creamy on a little level.
Overall- HEAVEN on a hot day. Seriously loved this beer...

isualum12, Aug 08, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -2.9%

A - Hazy as all hell yellow with a stark white foamy head, poured from a can into a more slender glass than what I usually use.

S - All sorts of lemony with just a little bit of malt smell wafting around

T - Big lemon, little honey, not a ton else to reminisce on as far as traditional "beer" tastes go. Their was some tiny bitterness, but not (that I felt) from anything too exciting as far as hops are concerned.

M - A touch dry with not as much aftertaste as I thought at first. This was sweet as well, but not cloyingly so.

O - This one is a near perfect hot summer day beer that you can down several of. Not the best beer for a hearty experience, but hot and outdoors? Bring it on! Just make sure it's good and cold. Kinda goes funky when it warms up.

gopens44, Aug 06, 2011
3.65/5  rDev +16.2%

A - Pours a hazy yellow color with a finger thick head that fades relatively quickly.

S - Lemon note is strong. But there are other citrus notes such as orange and even cloves.

T - Lemon peel is strong upfront, and follows you all the way until you swallow. Yeasty finish that would come close to making up for a person's dislike for the lemonness.

O - I can imagine after mowing the lawn or running pouring one of these and enjoying it greatly. Lemons are a little too strong for my liking. It's close to leaving the beer category and entering the fruity fun drink category, which is fine, but this is a BEER.

Depite this I cannot deny that it is a good tasting beer. I liked it and I will no doubt be drinking this again.

StoutishDan, Aug 02, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -9.9%

Notes from 7/27/11. On tap at the Miller Brewery in Milwaukee.

A - Cloudy medium yellow with half a finger of white head

S - Lemonade. No malts or hops noticeable in the nose.

T - Lemonade at first with no obvious beer flavours. However, the finish has some grainy malt notes. Very sweet.

M - Light body. Somewhat heavily carbonated.

O - An interesting beer but not one that I would ever order again.

TheSevenDuffs, Aug 02, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -6.7%

My father-in-law gave me this to see what I thought. Sampled from a bottle best by 10/10/11. Bright, hazy yellow color with a fizzy white head that leaves a decent white cap. That was the best part. Surprisingly medium bodied with assertive carbonation. Smell and taste was lemons with orange zest. The aftertaste basically left you feeling as though you were drinking lemon concentrate. This is a beer that would be enjoyed by non-drinkers or Coors Light lovers.

IronLover, Jul 30, 2011
3.2/5  rDev +1.9%

The Summer Shandy to me is alot like Mike's Hard Lemonade or Smirnov Ice or spikes countrytime lemonade. The appearance is yellow with with head. The nose is very lemony....not much else. The taste is a combonation of lemmon and grains. The mouthfeel is fine....too tart for me and wouldnt drink this stuff very often.

WoodBrew, Jul 30, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +19.4%

This beer is a really murky and pastel colored yellow. It only had traces of a head, but a decent looking bready one at that.

Nose is really lemony and rather tart. Just like smelling a lemon tart desert pie. A little bit of grains and bready malts in the backdrop.

The flavors on this one are as smooth as chalk. Smooth semi creamy mouthfeel. Very lemony and slightly tart. Really thirst quenching and satisfying for a hot, humid summer day. I can't complain with one of these in weather like this. Only a little bit of wheaty malts comes through in the finish which blend rather well with the flavors of lemonade. One would never think that these actually complement each other until it's tried.

Is this a really light and unrefined beverage? Yes but it's damn tasty in the sun.

cooch69, Jul 30, 2011
2.68/5  rDev -14.6%

From can no. Oct1711-A01190620. Sampled on July 29, 2011. The pour is lemon yellow with a bit of a lemon zing haze and a huge puffy head. This reeks of lemon zing to the point that I get little else except a whisper of fresh hops and grain. But I gave it a 3.5 on the aroma because it didn't smell artificial. The body is light and thin which would be perfect for a 90 degree day. The taste is way too overboard with the lemon and a grainy character up back.

puboflyons, Jul 30, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -0.3%

Bottle poured into a tulip

A: Pours a whitish yellow with a slight green tint in particular light. It’s very cloudy with a foamy head and large bubbles that settle into more tightly packed fizz.

S: Aroma is like lemonade with some spicy fizziness and a sweetness that becomes heavy with excessive sugar immediately after taking the first whiff.

T/M: Has a medium amount of carbonation and is much lighter than anticipated; you’d expect something very similar to a carbonated lemonade but it’s not nearly as sweet or flavorful. Big bubbles perforate the mouth and the slightly sour, slightly sweet citrus soda essence takes shape. There’s a subtle bitterness in the finish.

This is like a fruit beer and saison mixed together and is decently refreshing, but it’s not going to hit the spot for true beer enthusiasts.

TheBeerAlmanac, Jul 29, 2011
2.98/5  rDev -5.1%

So it's really cute that my girlfriend is trying to get into craft beers. She tends to love the sweeter and more fruit based beers. This is one that she absolutely loved and goes out of her way to purchase. I had to give it a shot.

Bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Hazy golden color. Looks like a dark lemonade. Some lacing and some bubbles on the walls of the glass. Taste is all lemon and malt- carbonated lemonade- tons of citrus flavor. I can see why this is an attractive beer to some. Light bodied. Very carbonated. Not my cup of tea, but it is popular given the fact that it is easy drinking and flavorful.

DavidSeanNJ, Jul 26, 2011
2.17/5  rDev -30.9%

Purchased at Deluxe in Richmond, VA - poured into pint glass

Pours a golden yellow with a fat pillowy head. Smells lemony but kind of nail polishy too. Taste is horrid. It tastes like lemon flavored corn water. Feels slimey and overall this beer was a waste of money.

Don't.

engagechad, Jul 26, 2011
2.95/5  rDev -6.1%

this is one of my wife's favorite beers, being the fact I have nothing else left to drink, I had to open it.
A- very pale yellow, maybe pale isnt the word to use. How about urine like?
S - Citrus is the only thing I can smell, lots of citrus
T - citrus rine, some sweetness, lots of citrus bitterness
M - easy to drink, if you like lemonade
O - this is one beer that is constantly in my fridge that I dont like to touch. Not to say its a bad beer, but it leaves me wanting to drink something with more flavor and bite.
good lawnmower beer, or beer to throw through a lawnmower.

biglobo8971, Jul 25, 2011
3.6/5  rDev +14.6%

This beer is a great session beer, sitting out back or by the pool on a hot day. This is by far one of the better summer shandy's out there. I really prefer this on a hot day then my go to paulander heifer. A wheat beer on a hot summer day or night is what I look forward to after a long day at work. If you like wheat beers then this is a good one. Not for everyone but for me it just fine. Going in to get my third one now.

mead4me, Jul 22, 2011

12oz bottle into my Three Floyd's glass. Hazy and a lighter, golden yellow color with a thin, frothy white head to it. Decent lacing on the glass as I drank it.

The aroma has a lemon-aid, slightly lemony household cleaner type of flavor to it. Just a hint of a grainy, sweet, beer base to it.

The taste shows a little more of a sweeter, grainy, beer quality to it up front. The finish is all about the lemonaid with a tart, lemony quality to it.

The mouthfeel is light and carbonation is above average. overall, it was a decent beverage but not a very good beer. I think I'd rather just have an actual lemon-aid.

billab914, Jul 22, 2011

A: Single finger head which rapidly disspiates to a thin rim around the periphery. Murky straw color with golden hues.

S: Very lemony with a bit of bready/wheat.

T: No esoteric commentary needed here. Just read the label... " Beer with natural lemonade flavor". More like lemonade with a touch of beer flavor.

M: May be the most refreshing beer ever. Its carbonated lemonade. Add some sugar and you have a Mike Hard Lemonade.

Overall: Maybe these types of beer are for some, but not for me.

kylehay2004, Jul 22, 2011
2.98/5  rDev -5.1%

I knew I would eventually end up reviewing this beer.

A-Well, If lemonade had a head, this beer would be almost indistinguishable from the fruity beverage. Translucent. Hard to see any carbonation. Head is bone white and leaves more lacing that anticipated. How do I rate this? As a beer, it looks less than amazing. As a lemon spawned Summer sipper, I guess it looks nice.

S-Lemonade. Artificial lemonade. Smells like a plastic bottle of vending machine lemonade. The more I smell, the more I will admit that this brew may harbor some natural lemon tartness. So maybe the vending machine comment should be revoked? The flavor will decide.

T-To be honest, the flavor displays more natural lemon flavor and far less sickly sweet artificial lemon flavor. I recently burped and the burp's aftertaste was identical to lemonade. Was expecting a lot more 'Lemonade flavored Splenda' than 'Hey, this truly tastes like Lemonade'. So I guess that means good job?

M-Crisp and the carbonation draws my attention. Light body.

O/D-Better than expected. I don't really like lemonade anyway so this one never had to chance to make the word 'underrated' slide across my mind. Yet, while trying to be somewhat objective, this thing does not suck nearly as bad as expected.

VelvetExtract, Jul 22, 2011
2.95/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Had on tap at some bar in Rehoboth Beach, DE.

A: Served in a pint glass the beer is straw/light yellow in color, slightly hazy, with a one finger white head on top. Decent head retention and moderate lacing.

S: Reminded me of very strong and tart lemonade. It was very sweet and sugary, not much else came through at all.

T: Very similar to the aroma, lots of very sugary lemons. It reminds of cheap lemonade mix that I used to use as a kid, except this tastes like when you add WAY too much of the mix and a ton of the sugar sits at the bottom of your glass.

M: Surprisingly crisp and refreshing, the slightly sour twang is nice actually.

O: Honestly, better than I expected it to be, but still, a bit over the top in terms of sweetness and not very beer-like either.

mdaschaf, Jul 21, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -3.5%

12oz can poured into a Brooklyn snifter. My dad loves this beer, so I bought him a 12pk for when he comes over to the house...figured I'd give one a shot on this warm summer night.

A - Pours a very hazy/cloudy translucent extra pale golden color - somewhat fruit juice like. A strong finger of very fizzy soda-y head rises on the pour and loudly disintegrates to the surface leaving a mono-layer of bubbles for a collar and nothing else. Not that impressive for a wheat based beer.

S - Pure lemonade on the nose complete with a sugary sweetness on top of the fruit. I like lemonade and enjoy this smell too, but its difficult to reconcile this as beer from the aroma.

T - Yep, lemonade on the tongue too...but not a clean lemonade flavor, almost like there is a splash of orange juice? in there too. The faintest hint of wheat can be found as well as a sprinkle of hoppy bitterness.

M - Thin, fruity/lemony, Sprite-like, fizzy and very prickly strong carbonation level.

O - Objectively, this isn't a very good beer. In fact it doesn't even resemble beer...Mike's Hard Lemonade is more beer-like than this. This being said, I kinda enjoy this on its own, standing by itself without attaching a label to it. Hot day, mowing the lawn, a 12pk could disappear quickly...just think of it as a refreshing lemon drink with a touch of alcohol in it...it's not bad. I like it, but this isn't beer!

portia99, Jul 21, 2011
1.6/5  rDev -49%

I had this beer on tap served with a flight of beers - 5oz pour.

A - It was served in a 5oz flight glass, a cloudy golden apperance. By the time it got to me there was no head left and no lacing around the glass. This was evident by the size of the rest of the pours.

S - Smells like lemonade, and uhh medicinal smell? Kind of like Emergen C or Airborne. Not much going on here except that powerful citrus aroma.

T - It tastes way worse then it smells. Like straight up medicine that you do not want to drink anymore. Just plain bad. Its not even sweet! I just taste chalky powdered airborne in there.

M - Very thin with high carbonation...like fizzy bubbles everywhere.

O - I would never buy this beer, nor will I drink it even on a hot summer day. I just feel like I am taking medication rather than drinking a beer. Worth a try just to say you had it.

buyBinboaVodka, Jul 18, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -28.3%

A-Cloudy appearance with a pale yellow color, white head with a little staying power

S-Lemonade flavor is dominant, hint of pale malt in there

T-Lemonade flavor, with a hint of a weiss beer in there at the end, maybe a hint of hop in the end-but probably just the carbonation.

M-Thin, light to medium carbonation. Smooth
and easy to drink.

D-Easy to drink these on a hot humid day like today.

O-Think Leine's could have done something better with this beer-seemingly took the cheap route by making a basic weiss beer-(Is it their base beer that they use to make honey weiss?) and adding some lemonade flavoring, too much in my opinion, and this was the result. Would be interesting to make this one with lemon juice or peel and see what could be done here. For a summer seasonal can see why this would appeal to many though-easy to drink and refreshing on a hot summer day.

deebo, Jul 16, 2011