Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)
3.93/5  rDev +25.2%

12 Ounce brown bottle

Appearance: Cloudy light yellow color with moderate head

Smell: Maybe not particularly beer smelling but it has a great lemon smell. It is the smell of a really flavorful lemonade and just gives a great summer feeling

Taste: The flavor is less lemonade -ey then the smell which actually makes it a lot better. If you expect it to taste like a Mike's, it will not be what you expected. On the other hand there is a light beer flavor that mixes with the lemonade but is not very strong

Note: This is a really good beverage but it is a little hard to consider it wheat beer because there is very little wheat beer flavors (fruity but lacks the variety of fruit flavors). But I have never actually made a Shandy before but I feel this would be a good representation of it (very refreshing)

ruckus232, Jun 21, 2009
2.65/5  rDev -15.6%

Poured from a bottle into a chilled pint glass

Poured a light golden color with a moderate head, minimum lacing but was still noticeable.

Smell - Lemonade, right off the bat. That was the first scent that I picked up. Almost reminded me of a Mike's Hard Lemonade malt beverage.

Taste - Very heavy with the lemon, with very slight - and I mean slight hops taste near the end. Just enough to remind you that it's still a beer.

Mouthfeel - I found the carbonation to really make this one. If it didn't have it, It would be weaker. This was a level above water feeling.

Drinkability - this would make for a last minute, end of a hot summer day session beer. Nothing really great about it other than the lemon flavor, if that is what you find to be really refreshing. There's better summer beers out there.

Genuine, Jun 14, 2009
3.4/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours bright hazy yellow with a foamy white head. Leaves a lot of lacing. Smells like lemonade. I don't have the greatest sense of smell but I'll be damned if anyone else can smell anything but lemonade in this. I like lemonade but I don't want my beer to necessarily smell like that and only that. The lemon flavors are real and pleasant. This kind of beer could easily go the way of Bud Light Lime, where it tastes like candy and not like fruit, but it doesn't. I still have a hard time picking out the beer flavors from it. Near as I can tell the wheat beer this is based on only contributes a foamy head and a bubbly mouthfeel. Clearly, this would be easy to drink on a hot day. But if I wanted beer, I would reach for something else.

drunkboxer1, Jun 14, 2009
2.73/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours yellow with a decent head with retention that is just...okay. Looks like...beer

Aroma: Lemon and citrus

Taste: Eh, its okay. I don't get too much of the alcohol taste...which isn't necessarily bad. What makes it a little less desirable is the onslaught of lemon. The balance isn't there.

Mouthfeel: Light, goes down okay

Drinkability: The mouthfeel is fine, and as a summer beer, this would be decent if it weren't for the dumping of lemonade into the beer.

kshankar, Jun 10, 2009
2.15/5  rDev -31.5%

A: A dull, clear yellow with some amount of appreciable head. Overall, typical and not very impressive.

S: Faint adjuncts and citrus. Lemon aroma is a bit off, like smelling a household cleaning product.

T: Adjunct malts very much reminiscent of a Budweiser hit the mouth, followed by faint lemon flavors which pull through, albeit weakly. It seems as if there's a struggle between the lemon and adjunct flavors for your taste buds, and the result is somewhat haphazard and metallic-tasting. Hops are a strangely cardboard-like aftertaste.

M: Extremely thin and somewhat over-carbonated, like Perrier.

D: There's nothing special to distinguish this: I could mix stale bud light and lemonade at home and it would save me the trip to the store to get this. Overall, very unimpressive (from the company that makes Sunset Wheat); the non-alcoholic Shandy I had in the UK even tastes much more flavorful than this.

thekanna, Jun 08, 2009
3.08/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Leinenkugel Summer Shandy pours a medium-gold color into my pint glass. Initially, there's nothing that looks different from a, um, beer that's 100% beer. Atop the hazy liquid sits a 2", off-white head the slowly collapses down to a residual 1/8" head. Low carbonation, moderate lacing. The smell of this beer is nearly nonexistent, even after it warms up for 15-20 minutes. There's a hint of citrus and wheat malt, but that's it.

Upon the initial quaff, the Summer Shandy has a taste similar to a mainstream American wheat (Blue Moon in particular); after an instant, the "lemonade" flavors come through. (Aside: the lemonade portion tastes much more like a UK/European lemonade - citrus soda - than what's considered a lemonade here in the States.) The mouthfeel is quite wet, which isn't surprising given the low ABV and amount of sugar present; finishes with a citrusy aftertaste that's very reminiscent of 7-Up or Sprite.

Overall, this is a supremely inoffensive beer, and probably best serves as a gateway from a BMC-only world. If you want to drink a shandy/radler, make your own, but this isn't a bad alternative when that isn't an option.

swid, Jun 08, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +41.1%

I poured into a pint glass to a small white head after I finished mowing the lawn. It was a cloudy yellow color. It smelled lemony. It tasted like Blue Moon infused with lemonade. I guess if you're going to garnish wheats with friut you may as well do it during the brewing process. I thought it was very good and I apologize for the Blue Moon reference (not a fan). The Summer Shandy hit the spot on a warm day after some yard work. It is a very nice summer session ber.

buschbeer, Jun 07, 2009
2.08/5  rDev -33.8%

I poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a standard pint glass. It poured a hazy lemon with a fizzy white head that dissipated quickly. The aroma was all lemons, and that was a good thing. The rest of the beer is very disapointing. The lemonade slightly overpowered the beer bringing out the worst characteristics of two beverages I enjoy. It was way too sweet and there was no "beer" flavor in this one, almost like a malternative. The beer is light bodied and way overcarbonated. IMO it is almost sickenly sweet and I had trouble drinking it. Avoid!

bonkers, May 31, 2009
3.3/5  rDev +5.1%

the appearance is similar to a liquid version of a lemon meringue pie. hazy bright yellow color with a, light spacey white head. im not sure of whether to wash my food down with this, or save it for after dinner. looks delicious.

a strong crisp lemon smell, with a little bit of wheat present.

the taste is lemonade with a hint of beer. you can detect a little yeasty taste. however its not that theres too much lemonade, its that the beer isnt strong enough to stand up to the lemonade with makes it off the mark. this would be an amazing selection if it were met with a stronger beer.

the mouthfeel is that of a "premium malt beverage". not very beery, but not really pop like either. but not what it should be.

good drinkability, but almost kind of off the mark of a beer. i hate to compare to bud light lime, cuz its not quite on that level, however its not quite enough to give it praise. caught in between.

mjw06, May 28, 2009

Appearance: This brew pours as a light yellow hazy wheat. The head is full yet not creamy. Lacings perceived. Pretty nice.

Smell: Lemon zingy! The intensity is about the same as one would expect hops in an IPA. I like this. Some sweet malt detected.

Taste: This is like a wheat beer mixed with lemonade. I do not detect (to any major amount) other citrus flavors. The general wheat-sweetness is very subdued. Very light in overall presence. Very little (if any) hop bitterness. However, sweetness is not overpowering.

Mouthfeel: VERY light in flavor. The palate stays clear. There is not the cloying sweetness of lemonade, however there is a residual malt sweetness. This is a GREAT selection for sitting around the pool in the summer. I approve highly.

Drinkability: This selection is very easy to drink. I would call this a "chick beer", but the lightness would go great on a hot summer day.

As mentioned earlier, this is most definitely a Radler.

Prosit!
Nikki

stockingcpl, May 25, 2009
3.15/5  rDev +0.3%

a hazy yellow barely see through. foamy, scary white radiant white on the head.

all lemon and grasses in the aroma.

grainy flavor with a huge dose of lemon and lemonade. very sweet and not so much beer.

fizzy and watery feel all at once.

very drinkable in the way that juice is drinkable. not drinkable like how beer is drinkable.

cnally, May 24, 2009
3.28/5  rDev +4.5%

Im sorry to admit it, but this brew is a guilty pleasure, ever since I tried a Radler(Weiss and lemon) in Germany, I actually really like it.
Pours a very pale lemon tone, lots of murkiness, light head, not nearly as fluffy as a true Hefe that settles down quickly.
I can smell this beer as soon as I pour it out. Lemony, tar, some yeasty notes, straw, but overall alot like sweetened lemonade.
Taste follows suit. Sweet/tart upfront, finishes lightly creamy, sweet/tart.
Mouthfeel is veerrrry light, almost nonexistent. But, overall goes down easy, highly drinkable on a hot summer day

czfreeman, May 19, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +33.8%

Presentation: Bottle, poured into a pilsener glass.

A: Golden, straw-colored hazy body. The 1/4 inch head is sticking with the beer quite nicely with some lacing.

S: Smells just like it tastes - lemonade and wheat.

T: Tastes like lemonade was poured straight into a Blue Moon. People may diss this beer because it tastes "cheap" and what not, but it tastes how it's advertised with no surprises.

M: Very smooth, doesn't have the sourness of some lemonades out there. The wheat is present the entire way. It mixes well with the lemon.

D: Great summer beer. I thought Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat took top honors out of this brewery but Summer Shandy is a close second when it comes to having a refreshing lighter beer.

MLasoski, May 19, 2009
3.93/5  rDev +25.2%

I liked this beer more than I thoght I would. I was expecting a Miller Chill and got more than I thought I would.

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. It was a dull yellow and hazy with a decent head but very little retention.

Smell was very fresh and somewhat lemonade-ish. Really didn't get much of a hint that it was beer. Pleasant.

Taste was very good. I am not sure it would taste as good if it tasted more like beer or not. It is probably too lemony for some or most but it is not lemonade. The unfiltered nature of it keeps it from being Miller Chill soda pop like. Ultra refreshing. Would be a real hit on a hot summer day. Not an everyday beer by any means but in small doses at the real time it should be just the ticket.

Mouthfeel was slick and easy. Felt good on the tongue and coated the throat a little on the way down. Certainly not thick but less watery than I thought.

Drinkability. Again, in the right place, at the right time, I believe you could drink one after another. At 4.2% and with the slickness with which it goes, it is very drinkable. Not for everyone and probably not for purists but as a fun recreational drink I think Leine's got what they were going for. Would defintely have again.

tjwarren, May 14, 2009
3.65/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I tried this one on a recommendation by a friend, it's not too...shandy.

It's a pretty opaque gold color with almost a finger of white, foamy head. The aroma has some lemon zest, not overpowering like some bad fruit beers I've tried, it's suttle and pleasant. Taste wise it's rather pleasant, like a bit of lemonade was added. Body wise it's about average for a wheat beer. I'd have this one again.

DesMoinesMike, May 12, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +22.6%

This review will be on the product's merits as a beer but as a beverage in general. As a beer, this fails. It is extremely light with few taste characteristics of beer. However, it is not at all bad. It more resembles a mellow, less sweet lemonade. It is quite refreshing and fruity with some nice sweetness at first and then a more bitter/hoppy finish that balances nice. Quite refreshing and not at all bad for a hot summer day which is exactly how I am enjoying it. Worth trying for this purpose, not worth trying if looking for a great beer though.

stingrayvr6, May 10, 2009
3.03/5  rDev -3.5%

A- Pours a pale yellow with a look like lemonade. Honestly, to me, the color is horrendous.

S- Smells like lemons, but like candy lemons--Lemon Heads or some other lemon candy. Smells good, but not like a beer.

T- Starts out nice, like a good lemonade, but then bites in with a wheat malt kick. Not a fan of this one... to paraphrase one of my favorite reviews: it tastes like a lemonade with a yeast infection. I'm not 100% sure if I would go for a Natural Light over this, but I guess I'd choose this.

M- Super light, refreshing.

D- Personally, I think it's good for what it is, lemonade beer.

LordAdmNelson, May 09, 2009
2.73/5  rDev -13.1%

I haven't even taken the time to make myself a shandy, so I don't have an example to compare this against in the sense of knowing what I should be looking for. I may have to look into giving that a try, just to have a better understanding of it.

A: Hazy, rich blonde. A decent puff of head tops it, retains alright, and leaves some thin and stringy drapes of lace behind.

S: A strong lemony citrus, but sweetened lemon - not like zest or the like. There's a quality to it very much like a powdered, lemon flavoured iced tea... almost artificial smelling, really.

T: Very similar to the aroma - a strong citrus, either like a powdered iced tea or lemonade. There's a bit of a graininess to it, but if it weren't for that, I would likely not believe this to be a beer - or even a malt beverage, for that matter.

M + D: Sharp carbonation, giving it some nice character. Prickly, but it's rather 'fine' so it comes across as being a bit smoother. Light on the alcohol makes for easy drinking, but I couldn't really see it as being any sort of session offering - it's just a bit too sweet in that sense, and is like quaffing back a lot of lemonade.

Proteus93, May 08, 2009

Appearance: cloudy, no head, bright yellow, medium carbonation

Smell:very lemony, wheat, and pepper

Taste: very lemony, wheat, and pepper

Mouthfeel: light, sweet, very carbonated

Drinkability:My own personal rank for this beer is higher--probably a B, but I do not think it meets the style guidelines well. I think this is great for a shandy, but not as a wheat ale. I would have several of these as a summer refresher, but maybe not the first thing I look for if I want a beer. The lemon is very strong.

tigg924, May 06, 2009
2.48/5  rDev -21%

This beer pours a cloudy pale yellow color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes quickly into decent lacing. The aroma is of powdered County Time Lemonade before it is mixed with water. There is absolutely no beeriness to the aroma. The taste isn't quite so processed lemonade like, but there still is nothing beer about it. The mouthfeel is medium-light bodied with lively carbonation. Overall, this "beer' simply isn't for me. The only flavored beer I've tried that I think is fair to compare it to is Bud Light Lime, and if forced to drink one I would choose the Bud Light Lime.

KarlHungus, May 05, 2009
3.43/5  rDev +9.2%

A: Bright yellow with a small white head.

S: Lots of fresh lemon going on here with a decent amount of sweetness underneath.

T: Lots of lemon going on here. Slightly sweet. Some pale malt in the background, but a lot of lemon; and, it's actually fairly refreshing.

M: Medium body with a good amount of tartness and dryness from the lemon.

D: Fairly drinkable on very warm days out in the sun. Quite sweet and probably hard to have more than one or two of, but not a bad offering.

Thorpe429, May 02, 2009
3.2/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a cloudy straw color with thick fluffy head. Smells like lemons with a little bit of wheat beer mixed in. Tastes pretty much like it smells, lemonade all the way through until the end where you can detect a wheat beer and citrus bitterness. A lemon overload. Mouthfeel is ok. I do like lemons, so it is definitely drinkable, but on a summer day I would prefer a hefe or something slightly less acidic and citrus tasting.

Kromes, May 02, 2009
3.2/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Looks close to what I expected from a lemonade-like beer: it's light and yellow, but I must say cloudier than I expected. Good carbonation made for a nice fizzy head on the pour, and a thin layer of foam remained even after settling. The cloudiness has me a little unsure of things, but it still looks refreshing.

Oddly, I smell more lemon rind than I do lemon juice. I don't know why that is or if there's really a brewmaster's explanation for that, but I figure you could fairly easily use old (even used) lemons (i.e. peels) to throw in the wort to get this effect. I'm bordering on the frontier of my actual beer knowledge, but I consider this smell appealing like a lemon...peel.

My initial reaction is to the carbonated, citric acid aspect of the taste. It tastes fizzy. And I do think the fizziness is two-fold: one part contents under pressure, and one part lemony zing. It's not like summer shandy is some sort of manly beer, so I'll say it: I can't help but wonder what kind of calorie intake I'm putting back here. I'm wondering how much sugar is in this lemony beer. How much sugar is in lemons? Though I'm far from the organic, chemical-dodging purist that's trendy these days, I might also detect an artifical sweetener like sorbitol or something. I say it's better-than-average simply because it's neat.

The mouthfeel is similar to every other aspect of the beverage in that it's nowhere near overwhelmingly good (or bad), but a lemony different. Throughout this review, I keep debating which side of average I should rate things. Since I don't like biting into lemons (and it's bad for your teeth), I'll side on the down side here.

Drinkability is probably subpar for a summer (sessionable) beer. It's light in terms of stomach substance but heavy on tongue, cheek, and overall mouth sensations. Though interesting and worthy of another sip, I'd pass on two consecutive just about every time.

marvin213, Apr 26, 2009
2.53/5  rDev -19.4%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz bottle.

A - The beer pours a very hazy yellow, forming a 1 inch white head. Very light spots of lace cling to the glass.

S - Strong aroma of alcoholic lemonade. Nothing else is detectible.

T - Just like the bottle says, this tastes like a wheat beer mixed with lemonade. Not necessarily bad. The lemonade flavoring dominates the taste, but a hint of the wheat comes out in the finish.

M - Light bodied. The flavor stays on the palate long after the swallow.

D - Not sure I could say this is very drinkable. I suppose I could see having one of these on a hot afternoon, but definitely not something I would ever order at a bar.

beeragent, Apr 20, 2009
2.9/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours a hazy lemon gold with a bit of carbonation that's all but gone right away. Its an attractive pour but its also different from what beer normally looks like in my opinion.

Smells pretty good if sweet is your thing. Good lemon sweetness. The beer malts are subtle in the background.

The taste is the letdown for me. The lemon is there, but strangely not very citrusy. It tastes a lot more like beer than it smells; good grains come through. A classic wheat taste. However, it tastes very bland to me. Nothing wrong with it, just wish there was more.

The mouthfeel is fine. Not too sugary or thick which is good considering you might expect that with a lemonade beer.

Overall, I think this beer has potential to be a great summer session or cookout beer, but you'll have to find the right foods to bring out the taste or make sure you aren't eating anything at all. Otherwise, it starts to feel like drinking beer with water in it instead of lemonade.

Cylinsier, Apr 13, 2009