Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,056 | Reviews: 605
3.43/5  rDev +8.9%

This one pours a whitish yellow color and settle a lightly hazed straw color that resembles lemon juice. A fast dissipating inch of white head is observed. The nose is very lemony and citrus infused. Lemon & lime peel zest create the bouquet. Although quite tasty and citrusy up front, the after taste just reminds me of a watered down lemon/lime soft drink. Nothing too bold. The mouthfeel is crisp and light bodied, this is the highlight of this brew and certainly makes up for what lacks in the taste, considering how hot it is outside. Great for a hot day like today!

3.32/5  rDev +5.4%

Hazy lemon yellow brew. Pours about a finger of white foam which is gone pretty quickly. Weak lace which quickly returns to liquid.

Bright citrus and wheat aroma.

Solid wheat backbone, bread-like and smooth. Then the lemon comes in and dominates the rest of the drink. I can't really detect any hops over the lemon flavor. Not terrible just too much.

Light to medium body. Lively bubbles. Smooth mid-drink and crisp from the lemon. Easy drinking.

This stuff is ok. Too much emphasis on the lemon. Would make a good summer session beer though.

3.34/5  rDev +6%

On tap at Roosters in Columbus, Ohio.

Served in a tall pint glass. Beer had basically 0 head when it got to me. Looks more like a glass of lemonade than a glass of beer.

Smells kind of like a lemonhead candy with a bit of wheat in the background. Nose is pretty impressive but ...

The taste is disappointing. The lemon notes that come across in the nose don't make it through. Beer is a bit too bland and grainy for me.

Mouthfeel is quite light. Carbonation levels are a bit low and the beer comes across as a bit watery.

Overall, I'd buy this for a hot afternoon out grilling or on the boat. Otherwise, I'll drink something else.

3.16/5  rDev +0.3%

I received this bottle from a Leinenkugel rep, so why not review it? It pours a very, very cloudy gold in color with a soapy looking bright white head. It kind of looks like a quality Berliner weiss. The aromas consist of Country Time lemonade mix with a light pale malt finish. It smells artificial but it is appealing on the nose. The flavors too are of premixed lemonade with a light and dry malt finish. There isn't any complexity but it is what it is. It's insanely light and easy to drink. This is a great summertime option if you're wanting something non-BMC and with some flavor. Like most of their "flavored" beers the flavors presented seem artificial so that stops me from giving them too much credit for this tasty brew. It's a fine shandy.

2.58/5  rDev -18.1%

Had on tap...

A- Poured a light hazed golden yellow color. I mean this color looked more like the crayloa crayon color unmellow yellow. One and a half finger white head shows light retention leaving light streaks on the side of the glass that fall back into the beer.

S- Lemon. This has a Country Time mix like aroma to it. This smells sugary sweet and there is not anything else that really comes through on the rest of the nose. Maybe a hint of grain but to be honest I gave up after about 5 minutes of trying to pick anything else out.

T- Artifical lemon comes out first and foremost with a sugary sweetness to it. This kind of tones down a slight bit showcasing a lemon zest kind of flavor toward the middle. Also in the middle there is a hint of wet grain which is the first flavor I can pick up on that wasn't lemon. Ending of the beer shows some more grain like flavor with a hint of wheat like flavor before being blasted into lemon land once again. It takes of lemon more than anything else.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation was high I thought for the beer but then again I have only had one other Shandy style beer to base this off of. Lemon, lemon, and more lemon is left on the palate and long into the aftertaste. Flavors were underbalanced with the lemon being a one sided flavor in this beer. No off flavors were present although the sweetness of the beer was in itself a little bit of a offness. Light alcohol drying on the palate with each sip but not really anything you'll notice.

O- This beer is not anything I look for when I go to the store or walk into a bar. It has a long underlying sweetness to it that I find a little too much for me. Not really sure I would drink this one again myself but if it were to be offered to me I don't think I could have more than one. More of a "girlie" type beer but seems to be loved by the masses stateside.

1.69/5  rDev -46.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy is a cloudy, bright yellow brew with a thin, white head that fades to a blotch. It has an aroma of lemonade and beer breath. Lemon zest is detected. It's very light bodied, lively and gritty. It leaves the mouth feeling like it's covered in sand. It has a stale, generic beer flavor with a dose of lemon zest. There's a little sweetness, bitterness and sourness. This isn't pleasant. I drank one of these after mowing the lawn and it did not quench my thirst. This displeases me.

I poured this beer into a perfect pint glass, it has a fizzy white head on top of a lemon yellow body. The smell is of fresh lemons. It taste nice of lemons, no hops to speak of. The mouth feel is nice and crisp. The beer overall i think is good for a nice summer beer.

Photo of
2.35/5  rDev -25.4%

Appearance - Yellow with a smallish white head. Vaguely hazy.

Smell - Lemonade and not much else. A little faint bread, no hops to speak of.

Taste - Tastes like someone dumped a can of Country Time lemonade into a pint of Stella. A little bit of malt and a lot of very sweet lemon flavour.

2.8/5  rDev -11.1%

Summer Shandy pours out as a cloudy bright yellow color with a fluffy white head on it. The head settles and leave a little lacing around the glass in some areas. The aroma has a ton of lemon which is no surprise, there really isn't much getting past that. The taste of the beer is again a lot of lemon with just a little bit of grainy malts in the distant aftertaste. The mix of Lemonade and beer for me don't really mix too well. I'm just not a big fan on Lemons or Lemonade for that matter. I can see someone who enjoys those beverages may enjoy this a lot. I found the mouthfeel to be light and a decent choice for some people in the summer.

2.82/5  rDev -10.5%

Cans just popped up next to the bottles at the local stores for around $1.

There's really very little difference from bottle to can. What I do get is a weaker head that struggles and leaves almost nothing behind. In that respect, the main difference is the appearance. It's a shandy, so it is what it is, it's simply not a well-made one given that the lemon aspect overtakes all but the slightest inkling that this is a beer. It's a lemon soda with slight beer character. Shandy's not a beer purist's dream come true, but pick up a Stiegl (sp?) if you're going to get one. Otherwise, just drink this as something like Chrystal light mixed with Sprite. As such, perhaps it is pretty tasty.

2.41/5  rDev -23.5%

A: pours a cloudy straw yellow with a huge pure white head that doesn't hang around too long and only leaves a bit of spotty lacing.

S: ok, it smells like crystal light lemonade sweetened with honey. Its a nice smell but not for a beer.

T: taste is a lot like the nose but not as much, to say I didn't get as much on the tongue as the nose would fit well.

MF: heavy carbonation and watered down.

O: not a good beer, throw a slice of lemon in it and I could easily confuse it with crystal light with some sprite mixed in.

1.54/5  rDev -51.1%

A little gift from above, left on my doorstep. Thoroughly chilled and poured into a Perfect Pint. Split with a friend, we didn't want to get too drunk.

Appearance
I had to stop for a hearty laugh at this beer's flaccid expense. The appearance is easily among the least beer-looking beers out there. Its really hazy, which is fine, but the color is so extremely unnatural its disturbing. The yellow is so bright it makes one think of a cheap can of CountryTime Lemonade. The white head fizzes up aggressively and loudly. Blink and you'll miss it; there's no retention. So far it has me thinking soft drink more than beer. But I think that's the goal here.

Aroma
Lemon Heads.

Taste
The lemon flavorings are very strong. They even impart a sturdy tartness, despite being very candy oriented. The beer is highly sweetened and there is only a few hidden signs of anything actually beer. There might be a little bit of a wheat base here. No hops.

Mouthfeel
Very sharp and very thin. It amazes me how beers like this, with such fervent carbonation, still manage to have no head. A sweetness builds a layer of sugars on the palate while the lemon tartness stabs at it.

Overall
A beer for people who think they won't like any beer. The trouble is, drinking this will really turn you off of beer.

3.55/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

OK, give this beer a break people. It is what it says it is. It is a summer shandy. Its a summertime beer. It is light, crisp, refreshing and slightly sweet. The smell is of lemon candy, or country time lemonade. It taste like a wheat beer with country time lemonade mixed in. Fizzy, citrus, some sour tart lemon swells with the malt background. Its a cloudy beer but it has some creamy head and lace. This would hit the spot after mowing the grass in the hot summer sun. Serve this one cold. It says it is Weiss beer with lemonade and that is exactly what it taste like. They get an A+ for nailing what they set out to do. This should be graded by its style which is a style of its own. And it is what it says it is. There are good qualities to this beer, it just isn't what most beer drinkers are used to when they think beer. Nothing complex or outstanding, but very easy to drink.

2.52/5  rDev -20%

Cloudy yellow pour, if it had lemon pulp in it, you might be thinking you gots lemonade up in here. Head disappears even though it was large, contributing to that thought.

Lemon aroma, slight yeast like aroma to it. That part was enjoyable.

Taste, is uh, weird. Lemon, but not the way I'm used to, usually its like lemon sour, or lemon citrus hop feel, but no, this is like, lemon candy almost. The beer isn't bitter, yet has lemon as its most defining characteristic. Just doesn't come across like beer, or a fruit beer even, like a hotty totty/boilermaker type of drink, something with lemon and beer in it, but not a 'lemon beer' per se. Anyways, I wouldn't recommend it to someone who likes beer.

3.37/5  rDev +7%

A- Super hazy and fizzy. Looks like carbonated lemonade from 7-11. Pale and hazier than a Cypress Hill concert. Fine fizzy head of bout 1/4". Sticks around for longer than I thought it would. Fizzy and yellow. Makes my teeth hurt just looking at it. Could easily be mistaken for a wheat beer.

S- Lemonade, with something of a malt backbone, if one takes a more liberal approach to the definition of "backbone". Like good lemonade made in the heartland. Thicker than Country Time, let's say. Fizzy and yellow smelling.

T- Interesting. It's like Hard Mike's First Beer. Sweet with a big lemon zest, but unlike hard lemonades, the tart lemon flavors don't get lost in sugars. Instead they swell with pale malts and fade out into cloying sweetness. Even some nuances of apricots and oranges, too. Fruity and girlie for sure, but actually pretty tasty. Juvenile and lacking in quality for sure, this is not a high point in beer brewing. Also, a sort of funky lemon-rind lingering aftertaste.

A shandy is apparently a beer mixed with citrus or ginger soda or lemonades. I don't suppose this is brewed with lemons or lemonade, rather, bottled with half and half. And little less romantic than lemonade brewing, but still the end result is a surprisingly tasty concoction.

M- Very spritzy and carbonated, like fizzy soda. Very light body and thin consistency. Adjunct lager mixed with juice of some sort. Not great.

D- Damn near perfect. I could drink this on a hot day all day, with it's ultra light body and low alcohol. Great fishing beer. Could also be the one beer that the girl who" hates beer" will willingly drink. Light and breezy and cold and mindless.

3.46/5  rDev +9.8%

A: Has a hazey yellow straw like color nice white foamy head with good retention.
S: There is a strong lemony smell for sure mixed with a wheatlike corn smell nothing great.
T: Not as bad a i thought it would be accually not bad at all wwheat up front followed buy a strong lemonade flovor.
M:Smooth with a little tingle at the end.
Overall its a very drinkable beer would be good on a hot day but other than that not really my cup of tea.

2.43/5  rDev -22.9%

Since the beer selection at the renaissance festival was limited to Coors products, and I was not in the mood for mead, I pretty much stuck with this for an afternoon.

Poured a murky brown-ish gold with some carbonation. What little head was there evaporated within a few minutes.

Aroma was slightly spicy with some citrus hints, but I"m also giving that edge to the lime wedge they gave me. Guess they were short of lemons that day...

As far as taste goes, a crisp start gives was to some malt flavor. Sugar (honey) was abundant throughout.

Mouthfeel was fine as this was the paramount reason to have a beer in the hot sun at a festival. Since the ABV was relatively mild, you could knock this back most of an afternoon and be fine.

For what it's worth, this isn't the worst beer in the world. Is it great? Heavens no. But if it's sunny, you're outside for a couple of hours and have to quench that thirst, you could do a lot worse.

3.79/5  rDev +20.3%

A. Pours out a yellow body with thin white head that lots of carbonation, no retention and no lacing.
S. The smell has a very strong lemon aroma with hints of pine, floral, and citrus hops.
T. The taste is pretty much lemons that are more on the tart side than the sweet side. Also in the middle and near the end I taste hints of the various hops in the beer.
M, The mouthfeel is a tingly like a soft drink feel to it thanks to its high carbonation.
O. Overall a pretty good light bodied easy drinking relaxing summertime beer.

3.15/5  rDev 0%

Definitely has a lemonade smell to it, and not sweet lemons either...pretty tart stuff. I approve of that, as I prefer tart lemonade versus too sweet.

Taste of the beer is certainly dominated by the lemon, but it isn't something I'd necessarily characterize as sweet or overally tart. It's really somewhere in the middle, leaning more towards tart. There's quite a high wheat presence in the finish of the beer, as well as a little sweetness that peeks through, which I will assume is the honey. Rightly so, it plays a backseat role to the lemon and wheat.

It isn't bad...pretty refreshing, though I was hoping for a bit more of a tart drink (I'm glad it wasn't really sweet, though). I'm not sure how often I'd drink this if I had a lot of good craft available, because there are other summer seasonals which I generally enjoy more than this.

2.13/5  rDev -32.4%

This 12 ounce can of Summer Shandy came from a Summer Variety 12-Pack. What a novel idea. Best by July 4, 2011. From the label: "Weiss beer brewed with honey with natural lemonade flavor." Uh, that sounds weird, but whatever. I cracked this open and poured into a weizen glass.

A moderate pour produces three fingers of foamy lemon-tinted head. Retention is moderate. The brew is maize colored and incredibly hazy but not dirty looking. The amount of haziness provides almost zero translucence. It's exceeding my expectations in appearance.

The aroma is dominated by a strange artificial lemon scent. I cut my teeth on Short's Brewing Company beers so I should be used to this kind of thing; but I'm telling you, this beer smells weird. Taking a big whiff is akin to huffing household cleaning products. In a blind scent test I doubt that I would identify it as beer.

The overall effect on the palate is that of watered down Diet Snapple Lemonade, complete with NutraSweet brand artificial sweetener. It does have a recognizable wheat finish, but at that point it's more like "who put beer in my nasty fake lemonade?" rather than the other way around. It is just all around watery and artificial. Approaching it as beer, I can't help but feel disappointment. Approaching it as some other form of liquid summer refreshment still leaves me on the fence. Why wouldn't I just drink lemonade...or beer?

This is a light bodied brew for sure. In the mouth it is tingly thanks to the high amount of carbonation and sharp lemon bite. It leaves an unpleasant acidic feeling on my teeth that I could do without. It's actually kind of refreshing, though it only vaguely resembles beer.

Overall, I can't say that I would recommend Summer Shandy to anyone. Aside from being a confusing beverage, it just isn't that good. At roughly a dollar a can it's not that great a value either. The upside is the relatively low 4.2% ABV. If equal parts water and Diet Snapple is your thing then you could drink these all day in the hot summer sun. As for me, I will be sticking with ice cold Arnold Palmers for my non-beer summer refreshment needs.

---

The Two-Schlitz Scale: (see my profile for an explanation)
I do not give a Schlitz for Summer Shandy. I do not give a Snapple for Summer Shandy. And just to be clear; I do not give a lemon scented Pine Sol for Summer Shandy.

3.33/5  rDev +5.7%

A- One thing i kinda get giddy for is cool caps. This one Is actually very fitting and is def a good one to add to the collection. Pours a off yellow, that ias very cloudy in appearance. Def has that weissen look going for it. poured very aggressively and got a nice two finger head that dissapeared almost as fast as i poured it. moderate to no retention in this one.

S- lemons, lemons and more lemons. slight yeastyness. slightly wheat like.

T- bready and tart. lemons only hit for a second before the beer turns toasty. lingering sweetness is kinda funky. the lemonade in this one is really not overpowering, it just makes its presence known and then hides away.

M/O- this is a medium bodied brew, that is overall sweet. Has wonderful carbonation that cleans everything away. Highly drinkable. This is a tasty and enjoyable summer drinker.

3.84/5  rDev +21.9%

I got a twelve pack of Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy for around $10 at Krogers. I felt like starting out the night with something on the lighter side and it's a little warmer tonight so this beer seems like a good choice. Drink by date of July 4th, 2011. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks OK, its got a summertime vibe to it. It poured a cloudy light yellow color with two and a half fingers worth of fluffy white head that dissipated pretty fast to nothing. If you poured it into a glass with ice it would look like lemonade.

S- The aroma of this beer is dominated by citrus lemons, so much so that it smells pretty similar to lemonade. There is just a hint of grainy malts at the end that let you know this is still a beer.

T- The taste is pretty similar to the aroma. The malts are more pronounced then they were in the aroma and taste wheaty. The citrus lemons are the major player here and they have some acidic tartness to them. The flavor is pretty close to lemonade with some wheat flavors coming through towards the finish.

M- Light bodied, crisp, refreshing, and with just the right amount of carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a nice warm weather beer and my personal favorite for taking with me to play some disc golf, I often go with oberon, but this beer is lighter and more refreshing then oberon and I like that better for playing disc golf. This beer is exactly what it's name implies, a Shandy, and thats how I grade this beer, not as a typical fruit beer. This is the only commercially available Shandy I have seen, most of the time Shandy's are DYI recipes, so I like the fact that it is already mixed and the fact it comes in cans helps also. I tend to keep this in my fridge all summer for those afternoon disc golf games, they are nice and refreshing and don't get you too buzzed, it just has great drinkability. If you are looking for a lighter refreshing beer for those active summer days then this beer will work well.

2.82/5  rDev -10.5%

It was 70 degrees yesterday and I sat on my front porch blastin' out old foreign punk rock. Today it's rainy so I bought this to cheer me up. :)

Serving type: bottle. the only way it comes?
appearance: always drink from the bottle.
Smell: citrus, maybe a little bread.
Taste: citrus and real beer flavor mixed. It starts off as citrusy but then turns to a beer flavor. A smooth citrus rather than zesty and pronounced one such as Mike's Lemonade.
Mouthfeel: real light and smooth.

Overall: I didn't realize this was only 4.2 percent until I got it home. I never buy below 5% just 'cause I want a real beer and not "lite" beer. I liked the other 3 beers I had by this company last summer. One was blueberry I believe and another wheat? Can't remember exactly. Summer Shandy is something you could drink all day if it was sold cheaply enough or was free. I'm not gonna but it again because at $7 it's a bit expensive for the ABV. and falling into the "joke" beer category such as being a lemonade.

2.64/5  rDev -16.2%

Pint Draft special at Archer's Tavern where you get to keep the glass. Nice pint glass - narrow on bottom and opens up a bit at top.

A: murky bright yellow color, opaque, thick head.

S: very lemony, citrusy aroma, but not like a hop aroma -- more like lemonade or lemon candy.

T: Very lemony flavor reminds me of furniture polish and lemonade. Some wheat flavor, but mostly hidden by the sweet flavors. Cardboard aftertaste.

M: light to Med bodied, well carbonated.

D: I can only imagine enjoying this on a hot day leading up to something else. The glassware is the best part.

2.85/5  rDev -9.5%

Served in a frosted shaker pint glass at Finn McCool's.

Figured since it was a featured brew and one I haven't had at Quizzo yet, I'd take it down tonight. It pours a hazy white grapefruit topped by a half-finger of short-lived white foam. The nose comprises lemon zest, wheat, and what could theoretically be construed as coriander. All of these elements come through very meekly. The taste holds notes of lemonade, grapefruit juice, lemon peel, and slightly funky wheat. It all comes across as something akin to a crappy bottle of Squirt or something. The body is a hefty light, with a moderate carbonation and a grainy-ish feel. Overall, I can easily say that I would not go for this one particularly in the future.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company