Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)
3.75/5  rDev +19.4%

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy poured a light color, with a decent head. It smells very strongly of lemonade, and had a sweet smell. The taste had a very strong lemonade flavor, and was rather sweet. Very very easy to drink, anybody would enjoy this beer. Overall its very different, and not bad, worth a shot, great on a hot summer day.

2.05/5  rDev -34.7%

Cloudy yellow color with a small white head with fair retention. Smells like sweet lemons, or lemonade. I guess this is what they wanted to do, but it does not make me think of beer.

Tastes like a pale wheat ale mixed with lemonade. This is not working for me. Just my opinion. Light bodied, decent carbonation, a bit of a dry finish. I will not seek this out again.

2.53/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass this brew has a light straw color with a frizzly white head that pops. The aroma is of light malts and of course lemonade. Now I love a tall cold glass of lemonade as much as the other guy, but in my brew? My BA bud drizzam swears by this stuff. The taste is what you would think a light malt brew with lemonade and that is where it ends. The after taste is stale leaving a dry and almost stank taste in my mouth. I think it best to leave these two things separate, or at least to the women to drink in "hard" malt liquors.

2.93/5  rDev -6.7%

Hazed lemong glow golden with a bright white creamy head forming thick witha fizzy head, lacing is nice fine and scattered on the sides of my chalice. Aroma heavy with the lemonzest almost like a cleaning supply lemon, it's very zesty. Flavors clear out the nostrils with lemon zest and really hit heavy with the tartness definitely some biscuit/wheat malt characteristics but the lemon zest rolls a bit too hard I couldn't drink many of these even though I really like the can they're packaged in. Very carbonated light bodied mouthfeel that is a bit too much. Drinkability is weak, tasty brew a bit heavy on the lemon zest doesn't work out as a standby regular for me.

3.33/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a hazy pale straw color with minimal head. Scent is of lemons and pale malt - smells like lemonade mixed with a light BMC product. Taste is again a simple belnd of lemon and pale grains - the lemon is not too artificial nor too sour, there is no horrible big rush of sweetness, there is not even a twangy light beer taste. The backbone is a halfway decent fresh grain-like taste. Plain and simple - its a light lemonade mixed with a slightly above average beer. Light to medium bodied, a bit grainy in the mouth. Let me get this off my chest - i enjoyed it for what it was. That doesnt make it a great beer, but it was a nice drink.

3.68/5  rDev +17.2%

A fairly light beer but pleasant. The beer smells like lemon zest. Taste is of a light wheat beer with a strong lemon finish. It has a light crisp feel to the tongue. It would be quite refreshing making it a perfect beer to drink after a long hot day.

2.55/5  rDev -18.8%

Served from bottle into a Samuel Smith Euro pint. Pours a hazy pale yellow color with one finger white head that slowly subsides. There is no apparent lacing throughout. The aroma is of a malt beverage with a massive lemonade note. The flavor of this brew is almost not flavor with a subtle lemonade hint. It is light on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this beer is not that enjoyable. Might be okay for getting someone off Mike's Hard Lemonade, but for an avid beer drinker, this is kind of blah...

2.7/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Pour: Cloudy lemonade yellow with very active carbonation and a fizzy 2-fingered, pure white head that dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing on the glass.

Smell: Lemons. Some wheat malt underneath it, and no detectable hops.

Taste: A bit like carbonated lemonade. No hop bitterness and a little bit of wheat sweetness, but overall, sort of bland. Good for refreshment after a hard day's work, but not much substance. Disappointing.

Mouthfeel: Thin and watery, like carbonated water. Was hoping for a bit more.

Drinkability: Quaffable but only because it's like water.

Final Notes: Good for refreshment on a hot summer day. Not good for much else, though. I wasn't a fan.

2.58/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours a cloudy washed out yellow color below a fizzy white head that quickly dies leaving a small white lacing rimming the glass.

An initial whiff tells me I've just poured a piece of lemon meringue pie into my glass, If I was wanting to get drunk off of a pie, my choice would have been apple pie Ala mode, but I guess drinking desert is just one of the reasons I drink.

The taste is all lemon drops, this I think is more like something the wine cooler people or maybe the Smirnoff guys would market.

The light aftertaste is a lingering lemonyness that would have been pretty dang good if I had remember to have some grilled salmon or halibut handy.

I think this would have been better if it has been 100 degrees outside, or maybe at the lakes, who knows.

I rated this beer kind of low for a couple of reason:

1) If I wanted to drink lemonade I would have bought some Country Time.
2) If I wanted to drink a overly lemony alcohol drink I would have bought some Bartle's and Jaymes or those little Jack Daniel's favored drinks.
3) I kind of like trying flavored beers, and seem to rebuy them if the taste is subdued and the taste of beer is still there, not so with this outing from Leinenugel's.

next...

3.08/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a cloudy yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of sour lemons. Tastes like it smells, sour lemons with a touch of bitterness. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and is not a beer I could spend the night drinking. Overall a decent but unspectacular brew.

2.9/5  rDev -7.6%

A buddy of mine drink this stuff nearly exclusively during the months it's available. He left the remnants of a 6-pack at my house, so I figured why not give it a review.

Appearance: Poured out a hazy, extremely pale yellow. Not unlike the color you'd find in homemade lemonade. The head was minimal at best, not even worth attempting a finger count. Obviously considering the previous statement lacing was non-existent as well.

Smell: Lemonade. It does actually smell somewhat like natural lemonade, which I suppose is a plus. On the flip side it doesn't give any hints or suggestions that I'm about to partake in something that could be considered beer.

Taste: Again it's a lemonade affair. I will say they've done a better job at flavoring this than some similar fruit beers, Cranberry Lambic comes to mind. It's a fairly pleasant, tart flavor. Behind the lemonade there is a bit of nondescript, bland wheat malt. There's also a smidgen of graininess.

Mouthfeel: The body is fairly thin, perhaps setting a foot into the field of medium bodied. The carbonation is surprisingly good. It's not the usual tongue prickling affair that I usual expect from beers such as this.

Drinkability: It's best to think of this beer as a nice, tall glass of ice cold lemonade. It works as a cheap lawnmower beer I suppose. On this hot spring night in Michigan it was certainly refreshing.

Overall, and I'm beating a dead horse at this point, this stuff is more like lemonade with a splash of beer than the other way around. If you keep that in mind it you may have a decent experience. If you are in the mood for something refreshing (outside the realm of beer) you may have a decent experience.

3.38/5  rDev +7.6%

a- virtually no head or no lacing, very cloudy light yellow golden in color, very close to lemonade in color and appearance

s-smells strongly of lemonade no strong aromas of hops or malt

t-taste of lemonade and citrus aftertaste of wheat and hops

m-smooth clean mouthfeel, kinda light feel

d-good drinkability

I recently found the Summer Shandy in a can and had to try it. It smells of lemon, and it definitely tastes like lemon. This beer goes down very smoothly. It would be easy to drink a lot of these. I'm surprised the rating is so low on here. This is a very decent summer beer. I recommend trying this beer if you haven't.

2.58/5  rDev -17.8%

Tried this at a baseball game last night. I often will at least try seasonal offerings because well...they aren't always available. I had reasonably high hopes because I like regular Linenkugel. I was very disappointed. Way too much lemon flavor. Tastes more like lemonade than beer. Would not order again.

2.65/5  rDev -15.6%

A - Small amount of lacing and somewhat cloudy appearance

S - Overpowering lemon smell. Sorta smells like lemon flavored dish detergent. Not the worst smell in the world, but not great.

T - Very light tasting

M - Light to medium light body. Crisp mountfeel and minimal after taste.

D - Somewhat drinkable. I am thinking the heavy lemon flavor would get to me by the third beer.

Overal: Blah

2.7/5  rDev -14%

Got this beer in the Leinenkugel's variety pack. I had been looking forward to trying this one but was let down. The taste was like someone had taken their Sunset Wheat beer, but instead of the blueberry notes, they accidentally added some powdered lemonade. Much too sweet for my liking (and I though t the Sunset Wheat was very good, despite its sweetness). This tasted too little like beer and too much like lemonade.

It should be added that after my first one, I decided to mix this with the Berry Weiss (50/50) for something a little more tolerable.

A mix of beer and lemonade, and Leinenkugel gets both parts wrong.

This beer looks nice: hazy and rich, with a big frothy white head. Like a good hefeweizen.

It smells like lemon zest, pale wheat and corn; basically, cheap beer with bottled lemon concentrate.

Tastes like sugar water with a twist. There are hints of pale ale, and a bit of beery aftertaste. But the beer tastes weak and the lemonade tastes powdered.

It's easy drinking, and at only 4.2% ABV, very sessionable. But why bother?

Fairly mixed feelings about this one. It is a good, casual summer drinker in certain settings, but not others.

Beach -- good
Barbeque -- not so good.

They advertise this as 'beer with a hint of lemonade' but it's honestly the other way around. It isn't terrible, but it barely feels like beer. May as well reach for a Mike's hard, you won't look that much worse for doing so.

From Notes

A: We have a hazy lemon peel color, with a off white head that leaves some lacing.

S: Ok we have some lemonhead smell along with a ton of sugary,
sweetness not much else.

T: Ok we have lemon soda water, and a weak one at that. There is also a bit of mineral taste.

M: This one felt weird, really syrupy, like a flat soda.

D: lack of carbonation, makes this one hard to drink, imo.

Thoughts- This one was a try at a shandy that was not all that close. I think I will stick to mixing my own.

3.03/5  rDev -3.5%

I'm not a huge fan. Pours a medium yellow color with a bit of head. There is a strong lemon and citrus fruit aroma. Lemonade in the first sip, carbonated lemonade. Definitely an American style Wheat. Rather smooth, a little sour, but overall fairly well balanced.

3.05/5  rDev -2.9%

A: Very cloudy banana peel yellow. A rocky eggshell head has nice retention and leaves a fair amount of lace. A pretty decent look.

S: Quite sweet. The lemon really sticks out. Its aroma dominates the nose. Behind are scents of cracker like wheat and a hint of clove.

T: A tart lemon soda sweetness is the primary theme here. There's just enough of a dry biscuit flavor at work to let you know you're really drinking a beer. Bitterness is very mild and relatively flavorless. Finishes with a lingering lemon tartness.

M: The body is quite thick and syrupy for a beer with this little alcohol. The carbonation feels like it could go up a notch.

D: Like another beer I had recently, this beer is completely channeling a German Rosser. It's light, sweet, lemony and goes down easily. Not exactly my cup of tea, but nice as a summer thirst quencher.

3.13/5  rDev -0.3%

This was a suggestion from my son. He say's it's his favorite beer. My impression was that it has a citrus taste to it. But after he said he thinks it tastes like "Fruity Pebbles" I have to admit he had it nailed, it does taste like Fruity Pebbles. It definitely has a unique taste to it.

3.35/5  rDev +6.7%

Had a trip to Wisconsin and wanted a light beer to bring out to the lake. I figured a shandy would do the trick. The beer looked decent with light blond color. The smell was awful. It is like sniffing Pledge cleaner (dominating artificial lemon smell). The taste however was decent for what it was. I wanted light and interesting and that is what this beer delivered. Real light taste with strong citrus you get from shandys. The mouthfeel and drinkability on this beer are above average. Don't buy this beer if you are looking for a great beer tasting experience. This beer is good for those blistering hot summer days when you want something light and easy.

2.58/5  rDev -17.8%

This was actually a lot better than I thought it would be. It's still not very good. Pale cloudy big white head. Not bad. Smells like lemons and nothing else. Doesn't really taste like anything but lemons. I'm not a big fan of wheat beers to begin with, and I'm definately not a fan of mixing beer with artificial flavors. That being said, it was somewhat refreshing. It is what it is. This tastes like a cheap wheat beer mixed with lemonade. That's because it is a cheap wheat beer mixed with lemonade. If that sounds good to you knock yourself out.

4.33/5  rDev +37.9%

Pours from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Emerges very hazy and resembles fresh squeezed lemonade with sugar. Slightly bronze but mostly very hazy and lemony.

Aroma matches the title of the beer; fresh lemons. Not much else, but I wasnt expecting much else.

Flavor is lemonade plus beer, just what a shandy is. A bit tart with some sweetness to match the tartness and make this an all around decent shandy.

This is much more convenient that a beer with lemonade added, and if I must say, this isnt bad. It doesnt taste like beer, but it isnt supposed to. A real easy drinker and not a bad "beer" at all.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company