Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007

Reviews: 603 | Hads: 3,302
3.81/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Had this beer at a company party. It was surprisingly tasty. Strong lemon notes but it was smooth almost malty. Overall very enjoyable and easy to drink! (153 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -1%

I don't like this one too much, it's a weird Weissbier with some sort of "lemonade" flavoring... the best thing about this beer is that is has alcohol. (151 characters)

It tastes like lemon. I'm not going to lie, the lemon was over powering and I didn't much care for it. If you like a strong lemon flavor, this may be the beer for you.
Leinenliugel's - Honey Weiss. This wasn't as bad, You could taste the honey in it. It wasn't a particular strong wheat beer or that memorable seeing how I just drank it and nothing really stands out. (367 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A friend of mine introduced me to the summer shandy back in the summer. He always talked about this beer as if it was handed down by the Gods. I bought a six pack of it and was instantly hooked.

I tend to drink it either out of the can or bottle. However when pouring it into a glass the first thing I notice is how remarkably yellow it is. Reminds me of a cloudier version of lemonade, but with a thin white lacing around the edges.

If you like lemons, then you will love the smell. It smells like lemonade.

The beer is very light and isn't that complex in regards to its flavors. It is a somewhat watery beer. I can immediately taste lemon with a hint of wheat.

It goes down smooth, with a mild amount of carbonation. It is somewhat like a soda.

Overall, this is a thirst quenching beer. It definitely will grow on you! (828 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +43.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I had a bottle of this beer on a recent trip to Las Vegas. I saw it on the menu and had to try it. It was very refreshing and I ordered a second bottle. Goes well with any summer foods like bbq chicken! Not an everyday kinda beer, but an enjoyable tongue twister you should sample when you get a chance! (307 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

To start with some good things, this beer does its job at quenching your thirst If you grab a cold one on a hot summer day. It's pretty refreshing too.
Did I enjoy it? -Not really.
It's too citrusy, just too much lemon flavor and nothing else. It tastes like a cheap drink to get a sorority girl drunk.
I couldn't even finish the entire bottle because it was too carbonated to the point it was almost harsh. I didn't feel like I was drinking a beer; it felt like I was drinking a soda. It was sugary and the aftertaste was somewhat perfume-like and gross.
Overall, it was a mediocre drink with faint grainy/ wheat taste. Nothing but lemons, lemons, and lemons. I'm not drinking this again. (691 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

I think all of Leinenkugels' fruit beers are the same: fruity and delicious, but leave you wishing they had something more distinguishing than which fruit is in this particular beer you're drinking at that moment. (213 characters)

1.82/5  rDev -41.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

Poured into tumbler. Dirty yellow color. Smell is lemon and yeast. Taste is like a dirty lemonade. Light carbonation. No head. Decent lacing. Did not like this at all. (167 characters)

Different strokes for different folks on this one. I think Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy is awesome. It is a great summer beer when its hot as hell and you want something refreshing. Lemon beer sounds like a hideous combination admittledly but this is good stuff. I usually like beer from a glass, but here I prefer drinking from the can or bottle. Technically, this isn't good beer but a good shandy and should be judged as such. This is much better than the 72 rating would suggest. (485 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +19.8%

It tastes exactly like the style it is meant to emulate, all in one bottle. Better on tap or from a can, doesn't taste quite right from a bottle. Great for hot summertime drinking. (182 characters)

3.32/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours very hazy golden color with thick foamy head. Head retention and lacing are actually very good with this one. Has basically a zesty, lemon aroma. There is a light malty backbone followed by that lemon zest when drinking. Refreshing on a hot summer day, but there is no complexity. More like hard lemonade if you ask me. (330 characters)

i enjoy most Leinenkugels but Summer Shandy would be my best guess at what Pine Sol tastes like. Most of my friends enjoy it so it must be my messed up taste buds! (164 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +3.8%

A: poured into a mug to a cloudy and hazed yellow with a finger of dense white head that is quick to faid and has minimal retention
S: smells of artificial lemonade
T: taste is tart lemonade with a little bit of maltyness but mostly the lemonade. swallow is more lemonade and just a little bit of malt
M: kind of thick with slightly prickly carbonation and a refreshing finish
O: not a whole lot of beer flavor going on but there's a whole lot of lemonade flavor. a little too one sided for my taste and there are better summer beers out there (552 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +31%

All beer is relative to the day, a hot day in Southern California with limited refreshing options in the store, not a double IPA day based on my weather and yard work, ~90 outside. I prefer lemon beer to lemonade on this frustration day. It agrees with me. Give it a try on a hot day, I don't think you will mind it's company. It's got more than you deserve. (358 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

Exactly what I was expecting. I love lemon in the summertime. This brew is exactly what it should be. Light. Citrus. Delicious. Perfect for drinking by the pool side or in the hot sun. So much better a choice than a BMC IMO. As the sun begins to set, so too, set this aside for something more robust and interesting. But in the heat of the day....very cool. (357 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

I had to try it after seeing commercials on it and people talk about how good it is. So I got a 12 pack at the store for $14 so I thought by that it would be good. Its a Lemonade flavored light beer but very disappointing. I thought it would taste like beer and Lemonade mixed but instead it tastes mainly of Lemonade with a slight hint of beer taste. I have tried other flavored beers such as Samuel Adams Blueberry beer and its right on. Its equal alcohol and blueberry taste. I will stick to plain, non flavored light beer. I recommend this beer to anyone who doesn't like the beer taste yet wants to drink a beer. I would drink this again as long as its free but I won't buy this again. (690 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -1.9%

The appearance is not impressive, but not bad either. The head, never much, dissipates into near nothingness extremely fast, leaving a cloudy dark yellow.

It smells very nice, though not too strong. Unsurprisingly, the citrus scent from the lemon is evident immediately, mixing well with a slight alcohol nose. It actually sort of reminds me of lemon tea. A faint hint of spiciness.

Very tingly beer, reminding me of soda in how initially tingly we're talking. It smells like it tastes. Not strong, but nice. Very, very citrusy, so the six pack box wasn't lying when it told me this stuff was made with lemonade. It never really tastes much "like beer" to me, though, until I hit the aftertaste, which might actually be my favorite part of drinking this beer. It's got a very, very nice aftertaste. The lemon and alcohol tastes finally mix very well at that point. Before that, the lemon is more dominant.

Overall, an okay light beer. Without the lemonade background in its making, this would be very mediocre. As is, it's good enough past mediocre to be okay. I like it. (1,075 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

If you approach this shandy as not a beer but an alchoholic lemonade (a hard lemonade, I guess) it's a wonderful and refreshing beverage on a hot summer day. Honestly, this drink hit the spot perfectly.

However, like I said, you need to approach this beer differently than other beers. Keep an open mind, and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Lemon notes stood out so strongly I could forget I was drinking a beer and imagine I was drinking lemonade. It doesn't go down smooth, but neither does lemonade, I suppose. (515 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -21.7%

This Radler poured with a bright lemon yellow hue that was capped by a fizzy, carbonated foam that collared away to nothing.

The nose is lemony, sort of sugary, with an obvious carbonated soda water.

The flavor is lemony as well but it's a sugary sweet artificial flavor. The finish is harsh and seems loaded with soda water, or Perrier like taste. I hate sparkling water and this reminds me of it.

The feel is so overly carbonated that it's harsh and prickly. It's almost too harsh to drink.

I drained poured this, because I should not undergo torture while drinking beer. (577 characters)

3.17/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 2 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

As new to beer drinking I wanted to try something on the lighter side. I got one in my make your own 6 pack. It came in a bottle so can't really say on appearance. Decent looking label. Smells highly of lemon and citrus tastes the same as it smells. Really easy beer to drink. (277 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Look: Nothing special here. It doesn't even really look like beer, honestly. A light yellow, straw color, hazy, not clear. Fizzy head at first, which fizz's down to nothing, like soda.

Smell: Wheat, and MUCH lemon. Very zesty, and very summer-like.

Taste: Lemon. Surprised? Kinda wheaty. It's very thirst quenching, and seems ideal for a summer day. High in carbonation and lemon flavor makes this perfect for a hot day.

Mouthfeel: Exactly like soda, which in my opinion, for a summer beer i not a bad thing. Light bodied and high in carbonation.

Overall: I'm surprised by the overall rating on this beer. I think this beer is fantastic. It think it's the ideal party beer for both craft beer lovers and "non-craft" beer drinkers. I think this beer can be appreciated by the masses. It's not amazing, but it's LEAPS AND BOUNDS, better than all the lime flavor lagers produced by the big guys. This was one of the beers that made me start to appreciate the finer beers. (974 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz : tulip

Pours an opaque, golden wheat color with a thick, billowy white head with great retention.

Strong citrusy, lightly sweet lemon predominately. Faint grainy, wheat backbone.

More of a balance between the lemon and wheat notes, though the lemon still finishes a bit ahead.

Medium+ body, foamy carbonation.

Not an everyday beer for me personally, but it certainly has it's time and place and is well done for what it is. (434 characters)

3.49/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Probably my favorite shandy out there right now. Decent appearance with a hazy yellow and a very thin fizzy head. The smell was mostly lemons but with a little bit of malt. The taste was similar with a lot of lemonade but a subtle finish where you get a little bit of hop and malt to make the end of the beer not so sweet. A fine shandy to drink on a hot day. (359 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +3.2%

Serving: Bottle, from the bottle
Served: 20 June 2014

Appearance: Had this one from the bottle so can't comment much about it. Bottle art is okay, unique bottle cap with big lemons on it.

Smell: Sweet, ripe lemons and a hint of yeasty beerness.

Taste: Not half bad for a Radler, but I'm more accustomed to the German versions of this style. I'm curious what the base beer is, because it lacked some of the crisp bitterness common to the German versions of this mixed beer. Overall, it tasted halfway decent for what it is.

Mouthfeel: Felt too thick on the tongue, almost like an unfiltered beer. I would have liked to see a cleaner, crisper beer. Great carbonation.

Overall: For a Radler, this isn't half bad, but it is nowhere near the German/Austrian versions of the style. (783 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Well it's better than those stupid lemon-flavored bud lights but you'll look just as gay drinking it. It tastes like beer mixed with cheap fake lemonade. I swear, you could sell this stuff at a lemonade stand and kids wouldn't know the difference. It tastes like lemonade -which is fine if you like your beers sweet and artificially flavored- but I don't. I bought a 12 pack of these and now I feel obligated to drink them. Maybe I'm being too harsh, the beer is great for being lemonade flavored, but why did I just buy lemonade-flavored beer? (544 characters)

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company