Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

4.19/5  rDev +33.9%

4.2% Alcohol by Volume
Color of Head = #F1F9AD
Color of Body = #D7E465

I'm actually pretty excited about this beer. I have a feeling that it might be amazing. It also has a good chance of being complete and total shit, but such is life. It claims to be a "Weiss beer with lemonade," which I'll admit sounds pretty appealing to me, even in this ridiculously cold November Tennessee weather.

This beer smells delicious. Like Stewart's lemonade. The head is fairly thick, but it retreats fast. I actually really, really like this. The lemonade taste is pretty heavy, but you can still pick out the hints of wheaty malt. Pretty damn carbonated too. Gums are already tingling. Both my roommate and girlfriend actually liked this beer, and neither of them drink at all which really says something for the mild sweetness of this beer. It probably has something to do with the low alcohol content too. I was concerned before I opened this that it would taste like someone spilled some Mike's Hard Lemonade in a Natty Light and tried to pass off the result as a microbrew, but this combines the two very well. You know, I have seen a lot of fruit flavors added to wheat beer, some turning out well (Blueberry with Sweetwater Blue) and some not so well (Raspberry with Abita Purple Haze), but it has really surprised me that I rarely see any citrus fruits combined with beer. Particularly fruits like lemons and oranges, you know, the ones you actually PUT IN the beer when you get it in a bar. I actually keep smelling the empty glass the beer smells so damn good. When I burp, it's as though I ingested some lovely Lemon Pledge, which is much better than the normal beer burp smell. I should start capping off my nights of drinking with one of these like a breath mint.

This is a (very) surprisingly good beer that everyone you know will like, even those damn snobby, American Guinness stout drinkers. Plus, you don't get called names for drinking this when you really want a cheer beer. It even has a twist off cap! This beer definitely stands out. It kicks ass at the fruit combination thing that so many other beers fail at. This beer really changed my view on Leinenkugel as a brewery. Though I don't know if my dismissal of them was due to me actually having and disliking one of their beers, or if I just really hated their logo and fonts. And everything else about their design. The whole package looks like it could be found at a crappy gift shop at the Cherokee Indian Reserve. Even so, I will definitely be picking up a six pack of this beer whenever the weather starts to warm up a little bit. (2,600 characters)

1.43/5  rDev -54.3%

What have I gotten myself into here. I am no where near a fan of this beer, but I had one sitting in the fridge and in the sake of fairness had to give it a try. Served as cold as I could, and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 11/10/2008.

The pour was, well pathetic. An almost clear liquid coming forward with only the slightest bit of a tint toward the pale golden color. Lots of carbonation here was readily apparent as it just ripped toward the surface like seltzer water. A decent head formed on the pour, but then fell back as things started to drag on.

The aroma was a step above horrible for me. Nothing here but a terrible artificial lemon smell that was light, and at the same time sickingly sweet. The flavor was even worse though. This was one of those that I literally gagged on when I took a sip. Cheap, like a bad sprite. There was just way too much carbonation that made it feel even lighter then it was, which was saying a lot. But the flavor lacked any real depth, no character to it at all. Just a light grain, malt beverage that was overloaded with too much lemon.

Utterly a wreck, this one ended in a drain pour, which I seriously hate to do. This may actually only be like my second drain pour, it was just that bad. In the future I would not make this mistake again. (1,310 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -19.2%

The appearance is a bright yellow. Kind of a fun color.
In the aroma I get some of the pilsner malts and a good chunk of sugary citrus.
Taste is very sweet with little to no beer flavor. Carbonation is prickly.
If you like lemonade, go for it. If I am in the mood for a radler/shandy I would rather mix lemonade with a lager of my choosing. (340 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -5.8%

A: Light yellow color. Pours a three finger puffy white head that dissipated evenly. Thick, even lacing.

S: Strong lemon aroma and very light malts. Hops were not detctable.

T: Consistent with taste; prominent sweetened lemons and a thin malt character. Slightly sour aftertaste.

M: Light body. Smooth, clean finish. Ample carbonation.

D: Ample taste with the lemony kick goes down pretty easy. Be ready for something thats not very "beer-like". (449 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +10.2%

Having never tried a "shandy" before I was very apprehensive. Beer with Lemonade sounded disgusting to me. I was mistaken. This hazy white/golden colored beer was a pleasant surprise. The sweetness and well, lemonade flavor make it a pretty good summer beer. (258 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -1%

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - drank 9/18, bottle -> tulip glass
4.2% ABV, 130 cals ps
I am reviewing this more as a fruit beer instead of an APW since it actually is called a "SHANDY".
A-3.0- Cloudy Yellow white, good head but gone quick, okay lacing
S-3.0- Strong/noticeable lemon smell
Lemon, lemon, lemon, all lemon, after all it is a shandy...
T-3.0- Lemon in foreground, semi tart on finish, finishes slightly watery on tail end
M-3.0- Heavy carbonation, tart w/ a slight pucker mouth
D-3.5- I like this for what it is as a light lemon summer type beer, something different to try if you are in a lemon beer mood - whatever that means! I got this stuff for $3.99 a sixer in late summer, so I drank it with a smile on a hot day. 3.0 since it is a shandy - not a pale wheat ale, this is confusing?... (806 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

I didn't have any specific interest in trying this beer, but when the sixers dropped to 3.99, I figured it'd be party beer for a week or two.

Based on some quick "research" regarding a shandy, I'm going to try to be as fair as possible.

A - Cloudy, bright yellow. Definitely the color of lemonade. A finger or two of white head rises quickly, like soda pop, and subsides just as quickly, leaving a thick collar. Some lacing.

S - Lemonade. A little on the artificial side. There's also the very distinct earthy, typical American wheat aroma in the background. The two actually make for a pleasant, albeit simple, aroma.

T - Lemon takes hold at first, but it's more like "lemon flavor" and a bit weak at that. No sourness at all, but definitely semi-sweet. The actual wheat character tries to pull through despite the assumed dilution, but it never translates into much more than simple cereal grain. Finish is clean.

M - Moderate carbonation, and a horribly light and watery body.

D - This stuff couldn't be much easier to put back. It's very unoffensive, but the problem is none of the flavors are strong enough. Everything about the beer is weak, and all I can take away is a vague lemon flavor over a weird light-beer graininess. (1,289 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: looks rather nice in the glass. Very hazy light yellow color. Decent lacing around the rim of the glass that lasted most of the way down.

Smell: definitely sweet tart lemons, some grains, wheat and maybe floral hops. Lemon sweetness is kind of in your face.

Taste: nice flavor but has sort of a fake charm to it. I know the label says "beer mixed with lemonade" but it kind of has an overly sweet lemonade flavor. Remember the old country time lemonade mixes, just mix that with some beer. I just get a touch of grains and light wheat. Somewhat reminiscent of a sports drink flavor.
Sweetness might cause some people, like myself, to not be able to drink more than 1 or 2 of these.

This is not my type of beer. But then again, I guess, I have never had anything like this before so props for that and trying something new. Give it a try! (853 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -9.3%

pours a yellowish copper color with little head.

smells of very strong lemon scents, almost to much.

taste is way more lemon than i expected but as i drank it i got more used to it, it does have a bite to it but thats from all the lemon flavoring.

heavily carbonated, lemon flavor covers the beer and you can really almost taste nothing but lemon, its a bit overwhelming.

easy to drink, decent beer for after a hard day of work or maybe out at the pool, it seems to be more of a refreshment than a beer, somewhat like lemonade. not bad though. (547 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +8.6%

I loved this beer ...my favorite summer beers
taste is very good to me ..taste like fresh lemons ...
carbonation is average could of been better but the taste is very unique and its qaulity to me
also the color wasnt bad like a copper color

very good beer after a hard days work!!! (283 characters)

A= pours a medium-yellow, very densely hazed almost like a good weizen except that it's more like the chemical citrus powder used in some cheap fruit-beverages. Lots of foaming carbonation causing more of a volcanic foam than a true head.

S= biting on the nose, huge whiffs of fake lemon scent like Lemon Pledge furniture polish.

T= fake lemon taste, sour powdered-citric acid bite, something that might actually be hops bite but more likely citric-acid chemical-bite.

M= sour like a LemonHeads candy disguising what seems to be the lingering taste of a really cheap bargain-barrel quality beer.

D= my stomach couldn't handle even half a bottle of this. (657 characters)

3.17/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is a weird one. From Leinenkugel the makers of weird beer. Lemonaid and beer mixed together, sounds gross right? Well it's better then I expected it to be, not great though. Aperently this style of lemonaid beer is biger in England and parts of Europe but it is the only one I have seen in the U.S. It is a good summer beer, light and taste like lemonaid beer. Neither flavor is over-powering which is what I had expected it to be like. I can't say I could drink alot of them but every once and a while it would be ok to have a few. You have to try this one for your self to really understand the flavor. (609 characters)

3.32/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured a pale yellow into a pint glass from a 12 oz bottle. Pretty hazy color; not much head or lacing on the glass.

Smell is of lemons and not too much else. Maybe some malt, no hops to speak of.

Tastes of lemonade and maybe a little malt. I can't really taste too much other than the lemonade, but it is refreshing in its own way. A sour taste develops as I swallow.

Mouthfeel is thin and carbonated. Not bad, nor good.

This is a drinkable beer, and refreshing for what you get. It isn't all that bad; just not something you would drink if you wanted a beer of substance. (577 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light yellow color, with a large white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is mostly strong lemon along with very light malts, almost no hops.

T: The taste is likewise full of sweetened lemons to the point that it's a bit overdone and not much else. The malt character is very thin and there's a very mild hops presence. The after-taste is slightly sour.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: A little tasty, goes down very easily, not filling at all, mild kick, decent representation of style, the lemon flavor is so strong and sweet that this beer is the closest thing to a "malternative" beverage that I've seen while still technically being a beer. (821 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +4.8%

Well I'm not sure what to say about this one. A shandy is lager and lemonade mixed, and that's what this tastes like. The lemonade might not be the best (it tastes like powdered mix), and I'd like to see a hint more acidity, but I can hardly fault it. It's cloudy like lemonade (and actually has pretty good lacing), it smells like lemonade when you raise the glass to your nose, and it tastes like lemonade mixed with beer. And it's not overly sweet or overly bitter or overly acidic. So, overall it's fairly well done and nicely balanced. I enjoyed it, and I'd have another if I was at a BBQ or other warm-weather outdoor event. (630 characters)

3.18/5  rDev +1.6%

Cloudy yellow color with a thin white head. Smells of lemon. Tastes like lemon too. Watery, lemony, and a little sugary. Natural lemonade flavor, as it says on the bottle, I suppose.

Unoffensive, it's a summertime drink that the ladies would like, and that won't hurt every now and then. Not really a pure beer though. The lemonade part is for real. (350 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -47.9%

Small capped bottle poured into a pint.

Yellowish in color, white head with near zero retention.
Very faint taste or aroma, it just feels like their Leinenkugel Red was watered down. It is hard to even comment about this very poor offering, the worse from Leinenkugel I ever had.
Do not waste your time. (305 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Soft, hazy swiftly effervescent orange/lemon body with a sudsy, off-white head that settles to a thin line in a tumbler... lemon zest aroma--not to the point of DAWN, but close? Without a scent of malt or hop...soft, zesty, swift bubbles on the tongue... no impact early, but a burst of champagne bubbles blast late results in a pleasantly drinkable beer... lemonade indeed--not sure if this qualifies as a fruit beer or a cheap gimmick (most on this website seem to think the latter)... a bit of malt at the finish attempts to fortify with a backbone... ADMITTANCE: I like the alliterative name of this beer--who doesn't feel another era awaken with the word shandy?--and of all the Leinenkugel "weisse" assortment, this is the most pleasant to drink and the most thoughtless to enjoy, i.e., it does what it set out to do... (825 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +3.8%

12 oz brown bottle poured into a mug

Leinenkugels Summer Shandy poured a cloudy pale yellow color with a long lasting thin white head. Aroma and taste is of lemonade, and light wheat - needs more American pale wheat though. Low hop bitterness that is correct for the style. Body and mouth feel is light with effervescent carbonation.

Leinenkugels Summer Shandy would make a good session brew on a hot summer day - designed for maximum drink ability at 4.2 ABV. Would like a little more flavor. (496 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy straw color with fat, chunky bone-white head.

Smells like lemonade, wheat, lime and carbonation. A mix of Mike's hard lemonade and a wit.

Hmmm, not really a beer, per say...I only taste wheat and lemonade, and not very much of it. Might be refreshing ice cold on a hot summer day or could serve as an outdoor brunch beer.

Had this at a buddy's house as a leftover. I was expecting worse, but still think I would pass on purchasing this one. (450 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -28.8%

A- Pours a slightly hazy pale yellow color with a decent white head that leaves some spotty lacing.

S- Lemonade and maybe a touch of wheat/grass not much else going on here. The lemonade flavour dominates this brew.

T- Doesn't taste like a beer and tastes more like lemonade.

M- Light in body and carbonation.

D- Not my type of brew. Interesting and different but I think I'll pass on this one. (400 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -26.5%

Poured into a pint glass.

This beer is basically lemonade meets beer. It pours a hazy yellow with a head that didn't last very long. It was overpowered with lemons and I barely could tell that I was drinking a beer.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with a crisp taste to it.

I personally think that lemonade and beer shouldn't be mixed, but I know of some friends that think the shandy is a great idea. This wasn't too drinkable for me. (431 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +4.8%

Neat looking beer. Pours a very cloudy pale yellow with a nice white top.

Aromas a fairly mild, but nice. Lemon, bread, and some sweet sugars.

Tastes like lemonade and beer. doesn't sound great, but hey, it actually works. Some other sweet flavors, maybe vanilla. Like bread flavors compliment the wheat style.

Thinner feeling than a wheat, but easy to drink. Gets a bit too sweet eventually. Well suited for the season on the label. (436 characters)

3.56/5  rDev +13.7%

12 oz. bottle into a freshly rinsed pint glass.

A- Pours a hazy yellow with more head than I expected.
S- Lemon, that's about it.
T- The taste is strongly dominated by sweet lemon. Really this beer just tastes like Leine's Honey Weiss with a bunch of lemonade dumped in.
M- Thin with moderate carbonation.
D- If I didn't know this was beer before tasting I might mistake it for something else. That said, these are great on a hot summer day at the beach, playing golf, etc, and when appreciated for what it is can definitely be enjoyed. (538 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +44.4%

I bought this beer by mistake, and I'm very glad I did. I've had shandies from overseas before, but this was the first I've had that used lemonade instead of ginger ale or Sprite.

On a hot summer day, you can't beat this drink. It is extremely refreshing, not a heavy beer at all. This is what you'll want to grab after cutting the grass or playing 18 holes of golf.

There is a strong flavor of lemon in the nose. Mouthfeel is very crisp, but not even slightly bitter. In the finish, there is a strong punch of lemon, but not so overpowering that you forget you're having a beer.

This beer will remain in my fridge until they stop making it. (644 characters)

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company